Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat December 16th, 2017, 15:03 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed January 25th, 2012, 01:04 GMT 
Titanium Member

gibsona07 wrote:
Has no one mentioned the obvious influence of Leadbelly's 'Midnight Special' on If You Ever Go To Houston?

I think not Mr 07. Though it's fair to say Bob only used a few lines and maybe the general 'idea'. Lonnie Donegan, on the other hand, was most respectful to the Leadbelly original - Midnight Special - Lonnie Donegan Skiffle Group - ta for the opportunity to post some Lonnie :D 8) :lol:

PostPosted: Wed January 25th, 2012, 02:00 GMT 
Promethium Member

Love Lonnie!

PostPosted: Wed January 25th, 2012, 02:11 GMT 
Titanium Member

^ Great! :D I'll push Lonnie's importance in the overall pop n rock n roll thing any chance I get. But most importantly I still love his stuff and posting Lonnie is always a joy. 8)

PostPosted: Thu January 26th, 2012, 01:34 GMT 
Promethium Member

supermabel1 wrote:
^ Great! :D I'll push Lonnie's importance in the overall pop n rock n roll thing any chance I get. But most importantly I still love his stuff and posting Lonnie is always a joy. 8)

I never got to see him live (I don't think). What a shame.

PostPosted: Fri January 11th, 2013, 18:52 GMT 
Titanium Member

I just discovered this song:

http://www.maxilyrics.com/entrance-wand ... -0fb5.html

Apparently, Bob took "If you wanna live easy, baby, pack your clothes with mine" from this song.

PostPosted: Fri January 11th, 2013, 22:29 GMT 

goodnitesteve wrote:
I just discovered this song:

http://www.maxilyrics.com/entrance-wand ... -0fb5.html

Apparently, Bob took "If you wanna live easy, baby, pack your clothes with mine" from this song.

Actually, I'd say they both got it from any number of a bunch of old blues songs.

One example, Tommy Johnson's 'Lonesome Home Blues':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVqmxOZp6Gk

PostPosted: Sat January 12th, 2013, 06:16 GMT 
Mercury Member

My Echo, My Shadow And Me wrote:
Exactly. Btw "Together Through Life" is in my personal Dylan Top 5.

Cheers. Everybody else will hopefully catch up to its brilliance sooner or later.

PostPosted: Thu February 21st, 2013, 13:28 GMT 

TTL is very much the average-quality Dylan album of the 2000s, if you wanted some generic (albeit inaccurate) snapshot of the man's musical direction/credo these days it's in TTL - blues/rockability motifs with lyrics that are pretty scattershot. But it's far and wide the worst example of him being effective at what he does these days. It's not something I could recommend to even a mild fan of the man's music. For me, it's clear that the creation of this album as a real studio release was an utter afterthought, when really it should have been released as just a passable soundtrack. Not bad just completely, overwhelmingly average late period Bob material.

Modern times, on the other hand, is a wonderful record. He may push the jazz-lounge aspect of his music a bit far on Beyond the Horizon, but overall the album represents a part of his character that's actually quite loveable. TTL offers just the grizzled cynic and we know Bob is a way more colourful character than that. Just my 2 cents on those albums.

PostPosted: Wed April 10th, 2013, 16:28 GMT 

I grab the vibe from the current era Dylan that he is using Hip hop sampling techniques in real time. He is "biting" from authors before him, he is sampling musical tropes that have come before him. Together Through Life works great for me on long drives when I want to feel like a senior in high school again. Came out the month I graduated and was just a great soundtrack to my life as I entered college and said good bye to a long time girl friend. To have Bob release an album with this tittle really helped me say goodbye to all those things that I now remember fondly.

I didn't know nothin about the whole appropriation method he has been using until recently when I discovered "Love and Theft" and pot at the same time and it took me to another world. Been diggin deeper ever since and this thread really does help. I had never heard of Slim Harpo until 5 minutes ago when I was reading a poster saying one of his songs can be found in "Shake Shake Mama", my favorite from the album I think.

Anyway, If Dylan didn't have to goal to turn younger fans on to now seemingly "lost" music, then he should have because that is what is happening. I dig into the roots he grew from and find a old, weird and lost America that I need to get in touch with. Time Out of Mind seems to be in the same vain, and maybe obviously so does World Gone Wrong and Good As I've been to you. It's just a really cool world Dylan creates for the listener to explore and find inspiration.

Great Thread and there are some great post on this!

PostPosted: Wed April 10th, 2013, 19:26 GMT 

Drew Fortune wrote:
I didn't know nothin about the whole appropriation method he has been using until recently when I discovered "Love and Theft" and pot at the same time and it took me to another world.

:lol: Welcome to this other world, and its forum, Drew.

And for me too, Bob Dylan is, though underrated in this function, the teacher one would have always wished for, introducing one to music and literature in a totally exiting and easy way. I love, for example the poets of Henry Timrod, who I'd never would have heard about if not for him.