Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri December 15th, 2017, 23:46 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 16:39 GMT 

An unexpected, thoughtful, rewarding and gratifying set list selection.

It's good to know he is alive and well...and performing for his fans.

So much water under the bridge, Bob, and much said and done. However, no matter what -- you always are and always will be unique and truly amazing!

Tennyson

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 16:46 GMT 

shawn wrote:
I apologize if this has already been mentioned, anyone know what time Dylan hits the stage this tour?

He came on at 8:30 on the DOT last night.

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 16:55 GMT 
Promethium Member

Fabe wrote:
Concert review by Jim Miers in The Buffalo News: Bob Dylan shows crowd why he’s a living legend.

I don't devote a ton of my ever-shrinking brain space to trivia, but is this the same guy who wrote the "forced folk into bed with rock" preview?

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 16:57 GMT 

Did he open with "Things Have Changed" since the song was in a movie in which Roger Ebert reviewed?

I'm sure he liked ole Rog.

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 17:34 GMT 

smoke wrote:
I don't devote a ton of my ever-shrinking brain space to trivia, but is this the same guy who wrote the "forced folk into bed with rock" preview?

Indeed it is.

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 18:49 GMT 

I may be in the minority on this one, but I'm hoping Bob keeps Things Have Changed and Tangled in the setlist, based on how he nailed both tunes every time I saw him last year. They never get old for me. Same for Thin Man. I also wouldn't mind if he brought back the Blowin' from last year, as it was so sweetly and beautifully sung.

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 21:53 GMT 

I saw Duke with John Hammond in Jersey City a couple of years ago. They were both great. I know nothing about playing guitar, but for some reason, I have more respect for someone who made his first electric guitar and does not use a pick. Duke is a smart guy.
Charlie is a fine guitarist, but he moved too much on stage, and up-staged Bob. His mannerisms and movement is reminiscent of Carlos Santana.
Plus, Bob Dylan is always changing.
I want to see a show on this tour, but up-close.

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 22:50 GMT 

Quote:
Thanks, Barefoot--my pleasure.

One other thing that I do feel compelled to say is that I find this attitude of "good riddance" with respect to Charlie, that some people have, rather unfortunate. The restraint that a guitarist of his calibre mustered as Bob pushed him in that direction bespoke modesty and dignity, in my opinion. He has added a lot to Bob's music over the years, and even if the size of the contribution shrank more recently, still it was often extraordinarily beautiful, all the more so because of it's delicacy and subtlety. I for one do miss that, although I'm optimistic to see how Duke develops his contribution.
[/quote]

Very nicely put FrightSky!! I totally agree with what you're saying and I know I'll miss Charlie, but - I'm also optimistic...

PostPosted: Sun April 7th, 2013, 00:39 GMT 

Here's a youtube vid of some of the concert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL6q63j0m1E

PostPosted: Sun April 7th, 2013, 01:09 GMT 

Like A Thin Man wrote:

Love what Duke brings to "Thunder on the Mountain"! Hope they do that one at Cal U. a week from tonight!

PostPosted: Sun April 7th, 2013, 01:28 GMT 

Like A Thin Man wrote:

P. Pittsburgh Joe wrote:
Like A Thin Man wrote:

Thanks for that.

Love what Duke brings to "Thunder on the Mountain"! Hope they do that one at Cal U. a week from tonight!

Seriously, I thought that was a really boring ponderous performance of a song he should give a rest to (bring back Tombstone Blues Bob). Duke just didn't seem to know where to take it, Dylan gave him the space to do something and he either didn't want to or couldn't. I'm sure he's gonna turn out to be a hell of a lot better than that though.

PostPosted: Sun April 7th, 2013, 01:39 GMT 
Titanium Member

Like A Thin Man wrote:

"He never addressed the crowd... so you start to wonder, maybe it's a recording or something like that..."

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun April 7th, 2013, 01:40 GMT 

fatherofnight wrote:
Seriously, I thought that was a really boring ponderous performance of a song he should give a rest to (bring back Tombstone Blues Bob). Duke just didn't seem to know where to take it, Dylan gave him the space to do something and he either didn't want to or couldn't. I'm sure he's gonna turn out to be a hell of a lot better than that though.

Allow me to quote my post from a few pages back:
Not to step on anyone's toes, but Duke's performance last night was very uneven and his soloing often went nowhere (granted, it was his first night out). Such was the case during Thunder. Bob granted him an extended solo and after a promising start, it devolved into something so mundane and boring that you might have thought he switched to rhythm duties. And it went ON and ON. This is when Bob leaned over the piano and watched him for a few minutes, laughing toward Donnie and kind bobbing his head a little. I took it to be sarcastic. The solo was awful. I

There you have it, folks. The greatest rarity of all: a Dylan fan whose experience and memory of a show correlates with what actually happened on stage.

PostPosted: Sun April 7th, 2013, 01:46 GMT 
Titanium Member

Wait, you're quoting and applauding yourself? Anyway, lots of people have mentioned that.

PostPosted: Sun April 7th, 2013, 01:53 GMT 

Warren Peace wrote:
Wait, you're quoting and applauding yourself? Anyway, lots of people have mentioned that.

Er...no. Someone mentioned the look Bob had on his face during the solo may have been sardonic. Otherwise there was nothing but praise for Duke. I was the first one who actually described what happened during that incident in any kind of detail. And my description was right on. Yeah, so...go me.

Actually, I can't find another description of that solo, namely how bad it was and why, anywhere in this thread. "Lots of people?" Hmm...

PostPosted: Sun April 7th, 2013, 02:03 GMT 
Titanium Member

Yeah, people mentioned Bob leaning over and looking at Duke quite a bit. I guess you're patting yourself on the back for your opinion of its quality.

PostPosted: Sun April 7th, 2013, 02:06 GMT 

There were a couple of mentions of the leaning, but no description of the solo, no context. Until I gave it. Really, what's your problem?

PostPosted: Sun April 7th, 2013, 02:08 GMT 
Titanium Member

You should become a barber splitting hairs like that. Anyway, I yield the floor on this important issue.

PostPosted: Sun April 7th, 2013, 02:09 GMT 

rbgeorge wrote:
fatherofnight wrote:

Allow me to quote my post from a few pages back:
Not to step on anyone's toes, but Duke's performance last night was very uneven and his soloing often went nowhere (granted, it was his first night out). Such was the case during Thunder. Bob granted him an extended solo and after a promising start, it devolved into something so mundane and boring that you might have thought he switched to rhythm duties. And it went ON and ON. This is when Bob leaned over the piano and watched him for a few minutes, laughing toward Donnie and kind bobbing his head a little. I took it to be sarcastic. The solo was awful. I

There you have it, folks. The greatest rarity of all: a Dylan fan whose experience and memory of a show correlates with what actually happened on stage.

Forgive me but I missed your post. Glad to see we agree though.

PostPosted: Sun April 7th, 2013, 02:17 GMT 

No worries mate, I'm just pumped that there are still people with functional ears in the Dylan community. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun April 7th, 2013, 02:33 GMT 

I wasn't talking about just Duke's solos, but also the overall feel of the song. The video doesn't show the entire performance, but what it does show includes 4 instrumental breaks. #4 is a piano solo by Bob. #'s 1-3 are guitar solos by Duke. #'s 2 & 3 are rather lengthy. It's only toward the end of #3 that things get repetitive & maybe Duke is running out of ideas, but that doesn't spoil the song for me. My ears function just fine, thanks. I've been quite critical of most of what I've heard from 2010-12 but I liked what I heard in this instance.

PostPosted: Sun April 7th, 2013, 02:54 GMT 
Titanium Member

The beginning of THC reminds me of RTR's "Railroad Boy", of all things. In general, the acoustic guitar seems to be louder than usual. Too bad the cameraman didn't get the new "Tangled", I'm eager to hear it.

PostPosted: Sun April 7th, 2013, 02:58 GMT 

P. Pittsburgh Joe wrote:
I wasn't talking about just Duke's solos, but also the overall feel of the song. The video doesn't show the entire performance, but what it does show includes 4 instrumental breaks. #4 is a piano solo by Bob. #'s 1-3 are guitar solos by Duke. #'s 2 & 3 are rather lengthy. It's only toward the end of #3 that things get repetitive & maybe Duke is running out of ideas, but that doesn't spoil the song for me. My ears function just fine, thanks. I've been quite critical of most of what I've heard from 2010-12 but I liked what I heard in this instance.

Neither was I.
But, good for you for finding something you liked in the performance, I wish I could have but unfortunately this time I just couldn't. The song has been over cooked, its done, had its time and a couple of rinky dinky guitar solos won't change that, even if he had Jimi and Neil Young in the band!!!......... I'm probably wrong about that, they possibly :wink: could add something to it.

PostPosted: Sun April 7th, 2013, 04:05 GMT 
Promethium Member

On Things Have Changed Duke's style seems to be a cross between Mark Knopfler and Freddy Koella and is a tremendous blessing to this band. Finally, Bob has someone in His Band that isn't afraid to play the guitar.

Thunder On the Mountain has more of a Denny Freeman sound. But at least we can hear him.

PostPosted: Sun April 7th, 2013, 04:42 GMT 

First thoughts from that video is that Things Have Changed would sound really cool with Donnie on violin/viola. Stu's guitar has a bluegrassy/hoedown feel and they could take that song to some interesting places from there.

Duke sounded very lost during Thunder. First instrumental break he takes a solo and then plays over the top of the vocals. Could be a sound guy missed the cue too, but he kept going with the riff well into the verse. Then the extended solo falls flat and goes nowhere...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next