Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun December 17th, 2017, 10:07 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 12:54 GMT 
Promethium Member

Excuse me, I just need to look at this again!
movin_after_midnight wrote:
Bob Dylan & His Band
Buffalo, NY
April 5, 2013

1.Things Have Changed (Bob center stage)
2. Love Sick (Bob center stage)
3. High Water (Bob center stage)

4. Soon After Midnight (Bob on piano)
5. Early Roman Kings (Bob on piano)

6. Tangled Up in Blue (Bob on piano)
7. Pay in Blood (Bob on piano)
8. Visions of Johanna (Bob on piano)
9. Spirit on the Water (Bob on piano and harp)
10. Blind Willie McTell (Bob center stage with harp)
11. Beyond Here Lies Nothin' (Bob center stage with harp)
12. What Good Am I? (Bob on piano)
13. Thunder on the Mountain (Bob on piano)
14. Scarlet Town (Bob on piano)
15. Highway 61 Revisited (Bob on piano)

ENCORE
16. Ballad of a Thin Man (Bob center stage with harp)

I like it!

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 12:56 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Excuse me, I just need to look at this again!
movin_after_midnight wrote:
Bob Dylan & His Band
Buffalo, NY
April 5, 2013

1.Things Have Changed (Bob center stage)
2. Love Sick (Bob center stage)
3. High Water (Bob center stage)

4. Soon After Midnight (Bob on piano)
5. Early Roman Kings (Bob on piano)

6. Tangled Up in Blue (Bob on piano)
7. Pay in Blood (Bob on piano)
8. Visions of Johanna (Bob on piano)
9. Spirit on the Water (Bob on piano and harp)
10. Blind Willie McTell (Bob center stage with harp)
11. Beyond Here Lies Nothin' (Bob center stage with harp)
12. What Good Am I? (Bob on piano)
13. Thunder on the Mountain (Bob on piano)
14. Scarlet Town (Bob on piano)
15. Highway 61 Revisited (Bob on piano)

ENCORE
16. Ballad of a Thin Man (Bob center stage with harp)

I like it!

:D :D me, too

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 13:02 GMT 
Promethium Member

graric wrote:
It's not just the order of what he's playing, its what he is not playing as well! No LARS for the first time in 4 years (or so), no Watchtower or BITW, no Classic Bluesy song on the organ as the opener (Leopard Skin, Rainy Day, River Flow etc) and no classic 60's acoustic song in the second spot (Don't Think Twice, Ain't Me Babe, North Country etc)

Add to that 4 Tempest songs (almost half the album, compared to 1/2 near the very end of the last tour) and the show can start to feel revitalized again...if you go into a show expecting a blues opening, followed by a classic 60's song then THC and TUIB and instead get THC as the opener several modern songs (including songs from Tempest which haven't even been played 10 times live yet) and only get TUIB in the 6th slot, thats enough of a shake up from routine to warrant abit of excitement!

Yes, absolutely. The opening had seemed very tired, and those encores even more so, ditching them along with generally favoring more recent material (including 4 songs from the last album) is likely to deliver a far, far different show to the one I saw last fall (which was not bad...but I'd much rather have had this). This format also allows Thin Man to fully devastate listeners; based on the shows I saw in recent years it's impact was diluted when it no longer ended the main set - now it's a stand alone encore, woot! I'm sure few in the audience were left unmoved.

So yes, it's mostly songs he's been playing, but it's some of the best of what he's been playing, and little (on paper) that seems like it might be going through the motions on a greatest hit. Even Tangled is apparently rearranged, the whole show sounds like a real breath of fresh air!

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 13:11 GMT 
Mercury Member

A seventy-two year old man, still out on the road, new guitar player, new opener, some fresh arrangements, a few songs from the new album, leaving out most of the sixties classics, singing songs suited to his current voice and style, according to reports..engaged...

That people are still complaining is comical.

I wish I could embed this ;) http://youtu.be/IJ_R-G_i4Xk

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 13:15 GMT 

John B. Stetson wrote:
Christmas in the Heart, c'mon!

You know it really is like Christmas. You stand there going oh boy oh boy what's this gonna be. He starts singing. You love it for 5 minutes and then it's on to the next present. Hmmm, I wonder what this is? You know? So freakin' exciting.

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 13:15 GMT 
Promethium Member

raging_glory wrote:
A seventy-two year old man, still out on the road, new guitar player, new opener, some fresh arrangements, a few songs from the new album, leaving out most of the sixties classics, singing songs suited to his current voice and style, according to reports..engaged...

Ultimately, it's really only your own opinion and how YOU feel about it that really matters, Rager.

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 13:17 GMT 
Promethium Member

Sweet Melinda wrote:
John B. Stetson wrote:

You know it really is like Christmas. You stand there going oh boy oh boy what's this gonna be. He starts singing. You love it for 5 minutes and then it's on to the next present. Hmmm, I wonder what this is? You know? So freakin' exciting.

Looks like the best Christmas in some time!

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 13:23 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
frightsky wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm a new member here, but having just gotten back home to Toronto from the Buffalo show, not ready to go to bed, having a beer, I thought I'd post a few remarks on the show tonight. It was magnificent. When the lights when on at the end I felt stunned and deeply satisfied (so much so I had to bum a smoke on the way out). I don't believe I was anywhere near the only one feeling this way. At least where I was standing (about ten feet from the rail) the audience was very responsive. Bob's voice was just terrific--warm, affective, communicative. He did not touch a guitar or the organ. Even the harp he didn't touch until - I think - tangled, but the crowd of course loved it when he did. And after that he was with it a lot, and to really beautiful effect, playing off Duke and vice versa. There were three mirrors--didn't bother me in the slightest. He said not a single word (no "thank you friends!). Who cares. He didn't bring the band up to stand a bow. Twice - after H61 and after Ballad of a TM - he stood by the mike and sort of extended his arm. It was most dignified and appropriate. He certainly has changed his approach with the musicians. By the time I saw him in TO last November he had chased them all to the left side of the stage with his piano--I loved the show no less for that, mind you. But this time around Duke had a fair bit of liberty--with Bob even, as someone else mentioned, sort of laying his arms on the top of his piano and listening during Thunder. (Although at the time, from his expression, I wasn't altogether sure he wasn't regarding Duke's extended solo somewhat sardonically, though that may not be the case. He shared some sort of joke with Donnie--kept turning to him and laughing and then even went right over and said something to him in the middle of Duke's solo.) Of course What Good Am I was a dream--though I got a bit distracted by having to ask a drunken monkey to quieten down. Tangled was really special. Reworked in a really restrained way, so that there was this wonderful tension between the natural forward movement of the song and his holding it back with the key he was singing in. In Pay in Blood, also, he reigned in it's forward movement -- at first it was not even recognizable. Wonderful though. No complaints at all. I did miss Charlie's subtle elaborations, but Duke's solos were really nice. Donnie was more forward again. His banjo appeared to not be properly plugged in at the start of HW, but then he got it going. Nice on Blind Willie too. Beautiful poster too--no image of Bob on it. Just bold font against a grainy black and white of tree trunks (small print titles it "spring forward"). All and all a great, great show. Can't wait for California next weekend!

FrightSky! Welcome to The Evenin's Empire (as jc likes to say) ...
Thanks so much for the Field Report. We really appreciate it!

Thanks, Barefoot--my pleasure.

One other thing that I do feel compelled to say is that I find this attitude of "good riddance" with respect to Charlie, that some people have, rather unfortunate. The restraint that a guitarist of his calibre mustered as Bob pushed him in that direction bespoke modesty and dignity, in my opinion. He has added a lot to Bob's music over the years, and even if the size of the contribution shrank more recently, still it was often extraordinarily beautiful, all the more so because of it's delicacy and subtlety. I for one do miss that, although I'm optimistic to see how Duke develops his contribution.

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 13:33 GMT 
Mercury Member

Sweet Melinda wrote:
John B. Stetson wrote:

I really love this summary..... the live set list here on line is sort of like that too..... " :shock: OMG!!! That is just excellent!!!! ..... :? ..... What's happening, where is the next one????" :lol:

I woke up this morning and thought to myself, 'self, take a minute to enjoy that set list before you go on line and find out it was either a dream or a fake'...... but nope, it is still here!!! Yeah, it is good..... there are of course, lots and lots of different stuff you could want added, but if they were in, then we would want something else..... :P ..... and I for one really like Thunder on the Mountain..... yeah, yeah, I know..... huh???? But I am not going to go to too many shows this year, and I am hoping that I do get to hear it.... 8)

Ok, down to business...... WHERE THE HELL IS THE FASHION REPORT?????? From what I have seen that is a different jacket..... I know white hat..... but what about that jacket????? :?

Just read frightsky (welcome to ER)..... yeah, I know things change, but Charlie Sexton is an excellent musician..... I am sure that he will do well in his new adventures.....but I will miss him...... but am looking foward to see what Duke adds to the show!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 13:34 GMT 
Promethium Member

I think most people were hoping for a Charlie/Duke lineup but knew it was too good to be true. His contributions may have gotten more subtle and hard to hear on an audience recording, but his taste and abilities didn't just go away when he backed away (or was pushed away) from soloing. Most people are just glad to see a change, methinks.

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 13:36 GMT 
Mercury Member

raging_glory wrote:

YES! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 13:57 GMT 

Fashion report: Black suit. Quite a long jacket with lots of white filagree embroidery, especially on the front "tails" (don't know what the part of the jackets that falls over the thighs is called). I think it had embroidery on the lapels too. His white medium size riverboat-type hat. His hair is a little whiter. No goatee. I don't think he had a moustache, but I may be wrong about that. Tony and Stu had their beige suits on.

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 14:22 GMT 
Mercury Member

frightsky wrote:
Fashion report: Black suit. Quite a long jacket with lots of white filagree embroidery, especially on the front "tails" (don't know what the part of the jackets that falls over the thighs is called). I think it had embroidery on the lapels too. His white medium size riverboat-type hat. His hair is a little whiter. No goatee. I don't think he had a moustache, but I may be wrong about that. Tony and Stu had their beige suits on.

Thank you!!!! :D

..... and to all of you with tickets for this up coming set of shows.... let's not be forgetting the fashion reports..... hummmmm...... thank you in advance..... :D

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 14:37 GMT 

A Very auspicious opener for this tour!

I wish I were able to attend more than one of these suckers. The college tour is the best. I'm not relishing the package summer tour but maybe he'll sneak in a couple of theater dates in NYC.

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 14:50 GMT 

I was out last night, dancing & eating steamed shrimp & drinking beer with my bf. So I wasn't able to see the set list "live". But logged on this am to see what Bob & band played.

All I can say is

WOW :shock:

WHAT a set list! Wish I'd been there. As I read the set list, it just kept getting better & better. Those lucky ducks at that show! Wow wow.

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 14:53 GMT 

I apologize if this has already been mentioned, anyone know what time Dylan hits the stage this tour?

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 15:04 GMT 
Promethium Member

A mighty fine setlist and it appears he's on tour to support Tempest. A nice cross section of his catalogue offered with an unexpected gem thrown in amongst a few standard bearers. With any luck the tour will be like this and the setlist will expand. Hoping to see him in a couple of weeks.

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 15:10 GMT 

Concert review by Jim Miers in The Buffalo News: Bob Dylan shows crowd why he’s a living legend.

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 15:16 GMT 

shawn wrote:
I apologize if this has already been mentioned, anyone know what time Dylan hits the stage this tour?

8:20ish in Buffalo.

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 15:29 GMT 
Titanium Member

Fabe wrote:
Concert review by Jim Miers in The Buffalo News: Bob Dylan shows crowd why he’s a living legend.

40 bucks? That's it? (Nice review, thanks for posting)

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 15:30 GMT 

Face was $50.

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 15:31 GMT 

John B. Stetson wrote:
40 bucks? That's it? (Nice review, thanks for posting)
The actual full cost came to about $59. U of Buffalo undergrads got in free.

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 15:58 GMT 

Re: the setlist... Here's why it was epic: It brought about the much wished-for end of two elements of Bob's show that practically everyone objected to- the extremely static "Things Have Changed backed with Tangled" setlist structure that Bob's adhered to for over a year now, and the unexpected dearth of Tempest songs. That alone would have been reason enough for celebration. But to top it all off, it was a tremendous setlist APART from that other stuff. We'd be creaming in our jeans over What Good Am I? alone.

Those who scoff and point out that Things Have Changed and Tangled were played anyway are missing the big picture. I went into last night's show with low expectations. How fun it was to find myself so utterly unsure of what would be played next.

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 16:04 GMT 

rbgeorge wrote:
shawn wrote:

8:20ish in Buffalo.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 16:29 GMT 

Not to brag but, I called that.

The fact the 1,2 punch of "Changed" and "Tangled" wouldnt be played back to back.

Stick with me folks, I won't do ya wrong.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next