Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed October 18th, 2017, 07:20 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Fri March 29th, 2013, 08:15 GMT 

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri March 29th, 2013, 11:57 GMT 

Well done for identifying the cover picture - so it's another "revisionism", and a very Dylan one to link the 20th century and the classical Roman era. The more I read the annotations, the more important I think they are: very reflective of Dylan's view of the world ruled by violence, sex and the often grotesque.

PostPosted: Sat March 30th, 2013, 18:39 GMT 
Titanium Member

http://www.revolvermag.com/tag/sluggo/

PostPosted: Sun March 31st, 2013, 14:18 GMT 

rolling stone issue gives revisionist art catalog four stars and a headline of "dylan's weird back pages" and review lines like it is "his most uproarious foray into full-blown comedy since he told those knock-knock jokes on l2001's ove and theft"

PostPosted: Sun March 31st, 2013, 19:34 GMT 
Titanium Member

syd natanist wrote:
rolling stone issue gives revisionist art catalog four stars and a headline of "dylan's weird back pages" and review lines like it is "his most uproarious foray into full-blown comedy since he told those knock-knock jokes on l2001's ove and theft"

thanks syd!

humor, the gift of the Lithuanian people! rock on Revisioners!

http://spectrumculture.com/2009/07/love ... ylan.html/

PostPosted: Sun March 31st, 2013, 20:37 GMT 

Great link! Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon April 1st, 2013, 04:07 GMT 

ScottW noticed the same thing I did about Sluggo.
http://www.swarmuth.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon April 1st, 2013, 04:41 GMT 

ScottW's Expecting Rain avatar is an Ernie Bushmiller drawing of Sluggo in beatnik guise.
http://www.glatz.com/sites/www.glatz.co ... sluggo.jpg

PostPosted: Mon April 1st, 2013, 04:43 GMT 

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/6966/61160439.jpg

PostPosted: Mon April 1st, 2013, 13:18 GMT 
Mercury Member

patford wrote:
ScottW noticed the same thing I did about Sluggo.
http://www.swarmuth.blogspot.com/

Great piece by scottw, thanks for posting it!

PostPosted: Tue April 2nd, 2013, 19:39 GMT 
Titanium Member

luc has become a concept in his own industry!! bravo team! :lol:

Luc Sante - look healthy
B. Clavery - be cleverly

PostPosted: Thu April 4th, 2013, 12:49 GMT 

B. Clavery - be cleverly

or "Very Blac" :lol:

PostPosted: Thu April 4th, 2013, 13:08 GMT 
Titanium Member

love it Fred! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu April 4th, 2013, 17:14 GMT 

Or:

Crab Levy
Lacy Verb
Clay Verb
Lac By Rev

:?

PostPosted: Fri April 5th, 2013, 02:53 GMT 

the back cover is a hilarious revisionist work of the 12/13/12 New york times review of the show. for funs, i will put in brackets the way it reads on the revisionist back cover. first paragraph.

original article
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/14/arts/ ... .html?_r=0

Bob Dylan may be a genius but he’s no polymath. [Bob Dylan may be a genius but he's no Rembrandt.] His music is great. [Dylan's music is great.] His attempts at being a visual artist have gone from bad to worse. [However, his attempts at achieving a businesslike persona in the world of art have gone from full speed to a slow burn.] Last year he made his Gagosian debut with paintings based on photographs he supposedly took in Asia. [Last year he made his Gagosian debut with paintings based on photographs he supposedly took at car shows.] When it was pointed out that some of the images came from other photographers, including Cartier-Bresson, a slight kerfuffle ensued, despite the rather routine appropriation involved. [When it was pointed out that some of the images came from other photographers, including Irving Pendleton, a slight kerfuffle ensued, despite the rather routine approbation involved.] The paintings were competent but undistinguished. [The paintings were competent but primitive.] They suggested that if Mr. Dylan jettisoned the photographs and just painted, possibly outdoors, he might carve out a niche for himself as an amateur artist. Winston Churchill did. [They suggested that if Mr. Dylan jettisoned the photographs and just painted, possibly outdoors, he might carve out a niche for himself as an amateur artist, not unlike President Roosevelt.]

PostPosted: Fri April 5th, 2013, 03:04 GMT 
Mercury Member

Thanks for typing that out, syd!

PostPosted: Fri April 5th, 2013, 06:13 GMT 

Syd, Great get. I just love it when Dylan kicks the shit out of idiots.
"There's something that is happening..."

PostPosted: Fri April 5th, 2013, 07:25 GMT 
Titanium Member

thanks syd!

since the tempest back cover was such a Pow

i really pined to know the back cover for this cognac table book

now all it needs is a razor and See-note

PostPosted: Fri April 5th, 2013, 22:13 GMT 

i like the encouragement

PARAGRAPH 2

online New York Times version
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/14/arts/ ... .html?_r=0

But Mr. Dylan, perhaps disdaining amateurism, has gone in the opposite direction, toward full-on photo-appropriation in 30 silk-screen-on-canvas works that he pretentiously calls “Revisionist Art.” The results resemble subpar works by Richard Prince enough to have spawned speculation that they might actually be the work of Mr. Prince, another Gagosian artist who is known for such ruses. In any event, for his latest efforts Mr. Dylan takes the covers of old copies of Time, Life, Rolling Stone, Playboy and less prominent magazines and tinkers with images, cover lines and much else, in what look like lame endeavors at satire. Baby Talk magazine for example is adorned with an image of a swarthy, possibly dwarf bodybuilder along with cover lines that include “Face Lifts for Babies” and “New Baby Deodorants.” A cover of TV Guide with the words “Soul Train” in big letters has a photograph of a dense clump of classical ballet dancers.

Revisionist Art back cover of New York Times version

But Mr. Dylan, perhaps disdaining amateurism, has gone in the opposite direction, toward full-on photo-impressionism in 30 superb silkscreen on canvas works where he pretentiously points to center field like Babe Ruth. The results resemble subpar works by Sticks McGhee or perhaps Richard Prince, spawning speculation that they might actually be the work of either man, both Gagosian artists who have two strikes on them for years. In any event, for his latest efforts Mr. Dylan takes the covers of old copies of Cosmopolitan, Reader's Digest, Field and Stream, Ladies' Home Journal, and less prominent magazines, and tinkers with images, cover lines, and much else, in what looks like an attempt to redo the format. Almost all the works have an element of mystery in them. They are full of double meanings and are carefully plotted with several stories happening at once. Club House Magazine, for example, is adorned with an image of a swarthy, dwarf bodybuilder along with headlines that include "Six Years in the Pen" and "Everyday Objects Are Beautiful." make no mistake about it, this is great art. A cover of TV Guide with the words "Soul Train" in big letters has a photograph of a dense clump of classical ballet dancers. You don't need to say any more about it than that.

PostPosted: Fri April 5th, 2013, 22:35 GMT 
Mercury Member

:lol:

Thanks again, Syd. I wonder if the "pretentious" writer of the NY Times piece will see the cover 8)

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 11:34 GMT 

PARA 3

VS1
Details like prices, dates and mailing labels hint at extensive tampering. Did the July 23, 1997, issue of Life with a reference to “Apocalypse Now” on its cover really cost just 35 cents? Probably not, and anyway Life was a monthly by then, and Francis Ford Coppola’s movie dates from 1979.
reViS2
Details like prices, dates and mailing labels hint at extensive tampering. Did the July 23, 1997, issue of Life with a reference to “Apocalypse Now” on its cover really cost just 35 cents? I'd be surprised if it did. And anyway Life was a monthly by then, and Francis Ford Coppola’s movie dates from 1979.

PARA 4

VS1
With the alterations ranging from obvious to juvenile to obscure, and the anonymous, deeply familiar format, there is little incentive, visually or intellectually, to remain engaged. The line between naïveté and cynicism is sometimes very thin.
VS2
With the alterations ranging from obvious to juvenile to obscure, and the anonymous, deeply familiar format, this is an art show for the ages. How much they cost is anybody's guess: Gagosian refuses to list prices. The line between naïveté and cynicism is clearly blurred. I had a ball at this exhibition, unlike others that I have attended recently. I saw it in the morning and for the rest of the day I was walkingon air. See it at your own peril.

That's how it ends, then there are a few quotes added on the back cover/

PostPosted: Sun April 7th, 2013, 02:47 GMT 
Titanium Member

thanks syd so much - i gather NYT licensed this licentiousness ha ha!!

ok so what are the quotes then - you started this hunger don't blame me!! :P

PostPosted: Sun April 7th, 2013, 02:56 GMT 

Hey, Bob, this is great stuff. Don't let the bastards get you down. If they recognized it immediately, they would have been doing it long before you. All the best. -- Al Gore

For art fans, this is the ultimate window into the Revisionist universe. For Revisionist fans this is a gift that only Abrams publishing could give us. -- Peter Prima, Art and Science Monthly

What a treat this book is for anyone who loves Revisionist art, its history, and its heroes. When I was a small boy sixty years ago, my big brother began teaching me about Revisionism, what happens backstage, in the trenches, in the juke joints, and in the front offices. This book, like my brother, amplified my knowledge of this endlessly fascinating genre. He would have loved it and so do I. -- Stephen King

PostPosted: Sun April 7th, 2013, 08:16 GMT 
Titanium Member

thanks syd - ha ha-

now the puff quotes seem hard to swallow as credible

when the premise of the whole book/exhibition itself
is the sacrifice of pretentious puffery as the go-to sacred cow!

maybe they should have printed those quotes backwards, in a mirror-image font
so one would have to decipher them in a mirror :lol:

bob's funhouse of mirrors!

PostPosted: Sun April 7th, 2013, 12:21 GMT 

if you dig the wide world of love and theft of Bob and want some more philosophy and perspective to help with your understanding of his alchemy, you have to get this book! just playing with it a bit in moments over the last few days has been so much fun! it's like an education without the pretension and with a smile.

i look forward to others' observations and finds of source material.

for the Luc Sante introduction in Revisionist Art, the Luc Sante blog Pinakothek:
http://ekotodi.blogspot.com/2008/12/poe ... queen.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luc_Sante

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next