Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue October 24th, 2017, 04:13 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Tue January 22nd, 2013, 19:39 GMT 
Promethium Member

patford wrote:
What I mean is he would find pieces of text in the magazines and piece them together in keeping with the revisionist idea. Of course there isn't much chance of that happening.

Not? :lol:
Hasn't he been doing exactly that for the last ten years or so?

PostPosted: Tue January 22nd, 2013, 21:09 GMT 

Yeah, I was just kidding. The thing is he does it so well. I really think it was never much different, it's just that in the old day people couldn't just google things and think THEY were Sherlock Holmes. Today people run around saying, "He took that from Timrod" as if they had any idea who Timrod was before Dylan quoted him.

PostPosted: Tue January 22nd, 2013, 21:12 GMT 
Promethium Member

patford wrote:
Yeah, I was just kidding. The thing is he does it so well. I really think it was never much different, it's just that in the old day people couldn't just google things and think THEY were Sherlock Holmes.

I agree. Parts of his very early borrowings are well-known, after that not so much until quite recently. It's an interesting subject though. Plus of course I hope the notes in this book will be somewhere between the WGW liner notes and Chronicles.

PostPosted: Fri February 1st, 2013, 12:59 GMT 
Promethium Member

The book has a cover now:
http://www.amazon.com/Revisionist-Art-Thirty-Works-Dylan/dp/1419709798/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359723452&sr=8-1&keywords=revisionist+art+bob+dylan

PostPosted: Mon March 11th, 2013, 16:50 GMT 
Promethium Member

Johanna Parker wrote:

According to amazon.de, the publication date for the catalogue has been moved back by two weeks.... :arrow:

PostPosted: Thu March 21st, 2013, 21:47 GMT 

Amazon.co.uk say my copy dispatched today! Hooray!

PostPosted: Fri March 22nd, 2013, 09:22 GMT 
Promethium Member

phaedra wrote:
Amazon.co.uk say my copy dispatched today! Hooray!

amazon.de says I'll have mine Monday or Tuesday next week. :D :D

PostPosted: Fri March 22nd, 2013, 14:49 GMT 

Mine's just arrived! It is lovely - very thick paper, and the works are set in separately, on glossy paper, so that they look exactly like reral magazine covers. Interesting essay in it, too. Looking forward to sitting down and reading it properly - a fantastic book!

PostPosted: Fri March 22nd, 2013, 15:27 GMT 
Promethium Member

^So is any of the writing actually Bob's, as announced at one point?

PostPosted: Fri March 22nd, 2013, 16:38 GMT 

Not that I can see. Will have a proper look when I get home from work - but on first look, no writing from Bob.

PostPosted: Fri March 22nd, 2013, 20:30 GMT 

Have now read it properly. The book has the 30 works of art set into it on smaller-sized glossy photographic paper, and towards the end of the book there are three more of the glossy pages with "annotations" to each work, consisting of a short, very funny, paragraph detailing the "news" or stories in each of the magazines whose cover is shown - not ascribed to an author but clearly, I think, by Dylan. There is a black and white photo of him on the back of the last of the pages of annotations. The annotations are very witty, and great fun to read. A very nicely-produced book.

PostPosted: Fri March 22nd, 2013, 21:08 GMT 
Mercury Member

It'd be great if someone could transcribe the annotations for us at some point. I realize the object is for people to buy the book and I'd love to but that would be a luxury that I can't justify right now.

PostPosted: Sat March 23rd, 2013, 08:59 GMT 
Promethium Member

Thanks phaedra. I'm really looking forward to reading this, now that I know it's really been published.

PostPosted: Sat March 23rd, 2013, 13:45 GMT 

I need someone to explain to me the significance of the cover picture - haven't seen an explanation in the book yet.

PostPosted: Sat March 23rd, 2013, 16:27 GMT 
Promethium Member

phaedra wrote:
I need someone to explain to me the significance of the cover picture - haven't seen an explanation in the book yet.

It's probably one of those Dylan things where an explanation won't be forthcoming. Is it even credited to Bob (or anybody else)?

PostPosted: Sun March 24th, 2013, 00:10 GMT 

The cover looks like an ancient roman paint from a wall in Pompeii.

PostPosted: Sun March 24th, 2013, 14:03 GMT 

It does, but I don't understand why it's been used. The pieces of writing inside argue that Revisionism has a long history (although much of their explanations are exceedingly tongue-in-cheek) but the Roman (!?) matron on the front is not named or put into context.

PostPosted: Sun March 24th, 2013, 16:48 GMT 

I'm getting very interrested in this book. Since I've stopped smoking I'll walk a mile for a tongue in cheek. 8)

PostPosted: Thu March 28th, 2013, 21:55 GMT 

Mine has just arrived and I'm very pleased. There is a decent sized essay called STEP INSIDE THE HURRICANE, credited to a B. Clavery said to be the editor of Sluggo:A Magazine of the Transformative Arts. . Does this person exist? A brief internet search turns up nothing on Clavery or the magazine he's said to be the editor of except mentions of the book.

PostPosted: Thu March 28th, 2013, 22:00 GMT 
Mercury Member

^ Someone mentioned that to me a couple of days ago. Another alias?

PostPosted: Thu March 28th, 2013, 22:29 GMT 

In all honesty this strikes me as an important work. It's a lot different from a catalogue collection of paintings. These aren't paintings in the first place and in a sense the book might be the best representation of the idea Dylan is expressing.
The cover is a reconfigured detail taken from a photograph of a Roman ceiling fresco in Trier Germany.
http://www.livius.org/a/germany/trier/t ... aic_02.JPG

PostPosted: Thu March 28th, 2013, 22:32 GMT 

raging_glory wrote:
^ Someone mentioned that to me a couple of days ago. Another alias?

Yes, I mean we know the Internet is far from perfect but absolutely no mention of a magazine called Sluggo: A Magazine of the Transformative Arts seems very unlikely.

PostPosted: Thu March 28th, 2013, 22:35 GMT 
Mercury Member

Thanks for that info! I see the book cover has the image in a red wash like the Tempest cover.

Edit: yes, I searched the other day when it was mentioned to me and could find absolutely nothing, except references to the Revisionist Art book.

By the way, B. Clavery tried to redirect me to Calvary.

PostPosted: Fri March 29th, 2013, 04:04 GMT 
Titanium Member

great call on the cover art - how do you all find the identity of images like that? so cool!

the lady represents adornment or elegance i guess? i can see bob living on livius for hours on end, classicist that he is!

http://www.livius.org/to-ts/trier/trier_fresco.html

It is hard to identify the individual scenes. Amor and Psyche, well-known from the fairy tale told by Apuleius in the Metamorphoses of Lucius (the "Golden Ass"), the three philosophers, and the erotes can mean anything. The three ladies may be representations of the splendor, education, and elegance that were - according to the imperial propaganda - typical of this happy age (felicitas temporum). Alternatively, they can represent adornment, music, and beauty. However that may be, the representations are completely pagan in nature. The persons who ordered this work of art, were no Christians.

-------------

"B. Clavery" = "Be Cleverly" - :lol: :lol:
------------------

Sluggo being used again for a name of a magazine is another transformation :lol: :lol:

can you spell "industrial collapse?"

Sluggo!

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sluggo! was a pioneering Austin, Texas fanzine covering the late 1970s Punk rock/New Wave music scene.[1] Founded in 1978 by Nick West[2][3] and E.A. Srere,[4] Sluggo! began as a tabloid-sized photocopied publication, and evolved into a quintessential DIY publication. With the donation of a Multilith 1250 offset press and an array of colored inks, Sluggo! acquired its distinctive multi-colored, multi-faceted appearance. Sluggo! look was also defined by its unique covers – hand-crafted on some issues, individually silk-screened on black velvet on the finale.
The early issues centered primarily on music with reviews of shows of both local and touring bands, and record reviews of both national and international acts such as Pere Ubu, PIL, Throbbing Gristle. In addition to music, Sluggo! columnists also held forth on subjects ranging from religion to science, international politics to local gossip.
In 1979, Sluggo! departed from the typical music fanzine with the introduction of its thematic issues.

Topics were Violence, Unco, and culminated with its "Industrial Collapse" issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sluggo!
-----

PostPosted: Fri March 29th, 2013, 04:44 GMT 

Sluggo:
http://dyn3.heritagestatic.com/lf?set=p ... t.chain%5D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next