Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri December 15th, 2017, 23:50 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: bob painting...
PostPosted: Mon March 25th, 2013, 17:16 GMT 

Bob had done the artwork for the cover of the folk magazine ''sing out'' (do you all remember what the image was?). At the time, Happy Traum was editor of the magazine. (Bruce had traded a painting he had done to Happy so he would give me guitar lessons.). I myself, still use that kind barter method today! (wanna trade for guitar lessons...?... LOL :wink:
Bob had done most of the cover work in bruces studio. The studio was a small structure on our property that was built soon after our house was built. Bruce designed it so it would catch the proper sunlight that is optimal for a ''painters eye''.
I remember bruce being ''outraged'' because he had helped bob with much of Bobs illustration, so, it was not all ''Bobs'' work. He had coached, and actually showed Bob how to make certain lines, shading, etc., to get a more ''realistic'' image. Not only did Bob do the illustration in bruces studio, Bruce had actually made ''changes'' or ''demonstrations'' in the picture Bob had made, again, to demonstrate to bob the different possibilities of line, shading, etc. to create the image he wanted. Bruces ''hand'' was actually in the artwork.
When bob had actually used the work that he done under bruce's tutelage and seemingly claimed it as his own work (without the mention of help), bruce was surprised and upset because he knew that the artwork Bob used was NOT done all on his own.
One sees this kind of thing (subtly) quite a bit when you see his ''influences''. I.E. Bob taking credit for something that he had almost literally taken an ''idea'', chanced it a little and claimed it as his own. I'm sure you are all aware of melodies and chord progressions that were the EXACT changes that another artist had done. Even album cover lay outs.
Im not trying to take away Bobs brilliance (which is undeniably fantastic), but sometimes he did take full credit for things he claimed were all his own and were in fact NOT...
(omg....sorry people, its clear i need an editor) :oops:

Post subject: Re: bob painting...
PostPosted: Mon March 25th, 2013, 17:25 GMT 
Promethium Member

This would be what our friend is talking about:
http://dylanstubs.com/pictures/1968/SING_OUT_68_2.html

Do you recall any of the paintings in this photo, or know if they're Bob's or somebody else's?

Here's a site that has some more paintings from that time:
http://dylanstubs.com/pictures/Dylan_Paintings/index.html

PostPosted: Mon March 25th, 2013, 18:22 GMT 
Titanium Member

Yardhawk thanks for fleshing out the Woodstock scene for us -

very important to the boomer generation's zeitgeist studies.

the original intent of the community appears to have succeeded - would you say?

PostPosted: Mon March 25th, 2013, 18:28 GMT 
Titanium Member

Yardhawk - I've seen the SING OUT cover before, but never knew that Bob painted it. Thanks for the story. Much enjoyed.

PostPosted: Tue March 26th, 2013, 10:35 GMT 

I wish he'd find backt to the clear palette of that cover again!