Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue October 24th, 2017, 11:20 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 993 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 40  Next
 Post subject: Best Brews on Tour
PostPosted: Mon March 11th, 2013, 10:35 GMT 
Promethium Member

Where to find the Best Brews while chasing Bob?

Favorite Brew Pubs along the way?

This thread is dedicated to:
The Never Ending search for the Best Brews and Brew Pubs to chillax out with on tour with Bob Dylan.

Post subject: Re: Best Brews on Tour
PostPosted: Mon March 11th, 2013, 10:38 GMT 
Promethium Member

Buy drink of choice - store in car - drink at end of day's trip. Always works for me. No hassle involved.

PostPosted: Mon March 11th, 2013, 10:41 GMT 
Promethium Member

Johanna Parker wrote:
Buy drink of choice - store in car - drink at end of day's trip. Always works for me. No hassle involved.

That's works excellent for Yawn Fests.

PostPosted: Mon March 11th, 2013, 10:46 GMT 
Promethium Member

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:

That's works excellent for Yawn Fests.

Depends on who you're with.

PostPosted: Mon March 11th, 2013, 14:40 GMT 
Titanium Member

how do you handle the issue of the necessary perfectly and freshly tapped beer to fit your hoppy palate, JoJo?

My name is Mr. Charles A. Troubadour, and i support this thread.

okay, i'm off to do some research.

PostPosted: Mon March 11th, 2013, 14:50 GMT 
Promethium Member

^I realize it's a beer thread, but we're mostly taking wine these days, so that's never a problem. We got some places we like to stop by to stock up the bar, and if they're not en route to the shows, we're finding new ones. Also, since we're queuing before and (usually) traveling after the shows, we don't have time to hang out during happy hour anyway.

PostPosted: Mon March 11th, 2013, 15:00 GMT 
Titanium Member

i think i could get by in Europe with Bob, some whet white wine, and one large lung if hard pressed.

PostPosted: Mon March 11th, 2013, 15:41 GMT 
Titanium Member

Look out Cleveland - First Stop: Great Lakes Brewery. Okay, hopefully its not the first stop, as there are several other fine breweries that would have been passed on the tour thus far. But, it should be your first stop on the way to Bowling Green. The drive from Cleveland to Bowling Green is a decent jog, better take some for the road and parking lot for your arrival. Sounds like the perfect task for a growler or a six-pack of these reliably flavored beers. They have at least a decent beer in almost every variety, and some great (not great great, just great) beers in the dark category, so it makes me an easy fan. They are pretty widespread and on the cheep nationally, so they are great in a pinch too.

Look at this beautiful interior. Cleveland still has some legitimate old cool buildings around. Not a bad town to drive through as long as one does not stop at the R&RHOF.

here are some that I prefer:

I imagine they are the type of place that has some tasty ones that don't go out of the shop much...

and finally there's this tidbit:

Great Lakes Brewing Co. in Cleveland, OH: Great Lakes Brewing is one of many breweries that recycles their barley and gives it to local farmers. But they’re one of the few breweries that makes a commitment to printing all menus and promotional material on recycled prodects, using biodiesel in delivery trucks and shuttles, and creating food from barley used in the brewing process. Any brewery that’s in the mood for reusing materials makes us want to reuse their beer when we’re thirsty.

http://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/

PostPosted: Mon March 11th, 2013, 18:15 GMT 

Well if Bob plays Newcastle UK in the summer take a cab 5 minutes east to the Free Trade Inn with a fabulous view down the river. Order a pint of Tyneside Blonde, drink it then order another 5. If you still want to see the show get a carriage back to town.

PostPosted: Mon March 11th, 2013, 22:33 GMT 
Promethium Member

The Olde Peninsula Brewpub is a pretty good place in Kalamazoo. Can't remember if they carry any of the Bells beers there but they have a nice selection of local and national beers and really good food. The Haymarket Cream Ale is pretty nice as is the Midnight Stout.

PostPosted: Mon March 11th, 2013, 22:58 GMT 
Promethium Member

Best Brews on Tour
Buffalo, NY - 2013 Show #1

Top Brew Pubs in the Buffalo, New York Area

Some nights, there's nothing better than the perfect beer at the perfect bar, be it in a bottle or on tap. People in the Buffalo, NY area enjoy their brews, whether from the U.S., Canada, or anywhere around the world. Here are five of the top brew pubs in the Buffalo area, offering a variety of beers on tap.

Buffalo Brew Pub - 6861 Main St. (near Transit Rd.) in Williamsville; 716-632-0552 or http://www.buffalobrewpub.com. The Buffalo Brew Pub is New York State's oldest brew pub, dating back to 1986. The Brew Pub currently features five house brews (Amber Ale, Pale Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Weiss, and Buffalo Lager - my personal favorite) in addition to 29 other brews from the U.S., Canada, and abroad. The bar is separated from the dining area, so it is family-friendly for dinner out (the Shepherd's Pie comes highly recommended), and there are a number of televisions featuring the top games throughout the establishment. The Buffalo Brew Pub is open Monday through Thursday 11:30 a.m. to midnight, Friday and Saturday 11:30 a.m. to 1 a.m., and Sunday noon to midnight.

Pearl Street Grill and Brewery - 76 Pearl St. in downtown Buffalo; 716-856-2337 or http://www.pearlstreetgrill.com. Pearl Street Grill features five floors plus the patio areas during the beautiful Buffalo summers, and the brew-house is in the main dining area. The Brewery features 11 house brews at various times of the year, plus many more on tap. Pearl Street Grill features special events throughout the year, plus pre-game buffet specials for Buffalo Sabres and Bandits games and live music on weekends. The Pearl Street Grill and Brewery opens at 11 a.m. Monday through Saturday and noon on Sunday (closing times vary).

Lafayette Tap Room - 391 Washington St. in downtown Buffalo; 716-854-2466 or http://www.lafayettetaproombbq.com. The Tap Room not only features a great selection of beers on tap, but some of the best blues music and barbecue Buffalo has to offer. With a steady stream of local and national blues recording acts coming through its doors, the Tap Room is very roomy, with a large stage and room for dancing. The Tap Room also features an extensive menu starting at 11 a.m. on weekdays and 5 p.m. on Saturdays. Hours are 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday and Tuesday, 11 a.m. to 1 a.m. Wednesday, 11 a.m. to 4 a.m. Thursday and Friday, and 5 p.m. to 4 a.m. on Saturday.

Alternative Brews - 3488 Sheridan Dr. in Amherst; 716-446-0424 or http://www.alternativebrews.com. Alternative Brews, open since 1995, offers more than 150 different beers (number and types change weekly), including three custom brews (Alternative Brews Hazelnut Brown, Buffalo Tap Room Cherry Wheat, and Gargoyle IPA) on tap. Alternative Brews is also unique in that it is a New York State Licensed Cigar Bar - as a non-smoker, it was a little too much for me to handle, but for cigar aficionados, I'm sure it's a welcome change from other area bars. The bar also features blues bands throughout the week and monthly beer tastings and cigar parties.

Amherst Ale House - 55 Crosspoint Pkwy. Suite #138 in Getzville; 716-625-7125 or http://www.amherstpizzaandalehouse.com. The Ale House, connected to Amherst Pizza (716-625-7100), features over 100 bottled and draft beer choice, wine, and liquor, plus more than 20 tables for dining. The Ale House is a designated ESPN.com site for watching games, and features half-price dine-in medium pepperoni pizzas and pitchers of beer during Sabres games - valid until they win the Stanley Cup. Complex opens daily at 11 a.m.

http://voices.yahoo.com/top-brew-pubs-b ... 22025.html

PostPosted: Mon March 11th, 2013, 23:13 GMT 
Promethium Member

We need one of our Buffalo region experts to see if the above passes the straight face test.

PostPosted: Mon March 11th, 2013, 23:22 GMT 
Promethium Member

Oh, and what inspired this thread (besides GOOD beer)?

Two fine ER members. This is one (from the Duke Robillard is Joining thread):
Troubadour64 wrote:

there's room for both the band and you and I at the brewery. time for a walkabout, barefoot.

And this one (from the Mapping the Tour thread):
queen of love wrote:
Barefoot.. you really should write your own book on Where to Go When travelling with Bob..and map out (with Fabe's help of course) the best places to go for food and drink for pre-show and/or after parties.. I think a lot of us would make use of it. Get people to send in their :D local hotspots and best dives.. yet keeping it simple for those of us on a cheap beer budget..

PostPosted: Mon March 11th, 2013, 23:30 GMT 
Titanium Member

If we get another UK arena tour in the fall then us bobcats over the pond will have no choice other than £4-a-pint Carling piss-water :cry:

PostPosted: Mon March 11th, 2013, 23:32 GMT 
Promethium Member

gibsona07 wrote:
If we get another UK arena tour in the fall then us bobcats over the pond will have no choice other than £4-a-pint Carling piss-water :cry:

Rule Number 1: Don't drink arena beer unless it's free.

PostPosted: Mon March 11th, 2013, 23:39 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
gibsona07 wrote:

Rule Number 1: Don't drink arena beer unless it's free.

even if its free.. just say no. Say No.
Ps. Im so proud of you Barefoot!! Great thread. :D !! I hope all the east coast roadtrippers meet up in some of these nice places and good memories are made. 8)

PostPosted: Mon March 11th, 2013, 23:41 GMT 
Promethium Member

Queen, you might right about the "no regardless."
Life's too short to drink shitty beer.

PostPosted: Tue March 12th, 2013, 00:00 GMT 

there was only one other beer worse than the stadium beer i regretfully tried, and that was TenPenny. it was so bad i left it on the side of the road for someone to attempt to appreciate. I sure couldnt. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue March 12th, 2013, 00:58 GMT 
Promethium Member

queen of love wrote:
there was only one other beer worse than the stadium beer i regretfully tried, and that was TenPenny. it was so bad i left it on the side of the road for someone to attempt to appreciate. I sure couldnt. :lol:

The best stadium beer I've had has been smuggled in.

PostPosted: Tue March 12th, 2013, 01:00 GMT 
Titanium Member

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
queen of love wrote:

I'll need to get the old hip flask out for the next arena tour!

PostPosted: Tue March 12th, 2013, 01:09 GMT 
Promethium Member

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
queen of love wrote:

gibsona07 wrote:
I'll need to get the old hip flask out for the next arena tour!

What are we putting in the hip flask, Gibsona?

PostPosted: Tue March 12th, 2013, 01:51 GMT 
Titanium Member

glad to know i helped inspire this great thread of a thread. truth be told, i may have even dreamt of its conception once or twice.

Untrodden Path wrote:
The Olde Peninsula Brewpub is a pretty good place in Kalamazoo. Can't remember if they carry any of the Bells beers there but they have a nice selection of local and national beers and really good food. The Haymarket Cream Ale is pretty nice as is the Midnight Stout.

there are lot's and lots of excellent brewskies to taste in the state of Michigan - which is among the top five states in number of microbreweries - so i fullheartedly endorse Path's recommendation here. Definitely need a place for after the brewery closes too.

I like their proportions!

PostPosted: Tue March 12th, 2013, 02:32 GMT 
Promethium Member

Vermont Remains Top State in Capita per Brewery
The great state of Vermont tops the list of U.S. state breweries per capita based on the Brewers Association’s count of operating breweries and the 2010 population estimates found at www.census.gov. The fortunate citizens of Vermont have a brewery for every 26,073 people. There are 24 breweries and 625,741 citizens in Vermont. The top 5 states in breweries per capita are rounded out by Oregon, Montana, Colorado and Maine.

Top Ten Per Capita Breweries according to the Brewers Association:

Capita/ Brewery Rank
State
Total Breweries
Capita/ Brewery

Vermont

Oregon

Montana

Colorado

Maine

Wyoming

Alaska

Washington

Wisconsin

Delaware

http://482256.cache1.evolutionhosting.c ... rewery.pdf

PostPosted: Tue March 12th, 2013, 02:41 GMT 

Troubadour64 wrote:
glad to know i helped inspire this great thread of a thread. truth be told, i may have even dreamt of its conception once or twice.

Untrodden Path wrote:

there are lot's and lots of excellent brewskies to taste in the state of Michigan - which is among the top five states in number of microbreweries - so i fullheartedly endorse Path's recommendation here. Definitely need a place for after the brewery closes too.

I like their proportions!

I third this recommendation. Great beers and excellent food. A nice atmosphere, and in good walking distance of most any of the other decent pubs, if you're looking for a crawl. I could go for a good burger and the OP IPA right now.

PostPosted: Tue March 12th, 2013, 10:24 GMT 
Promethium Member

Midnight stout sounds tasty.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 993 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 40  Next