Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu October 19th, 2017, 18:24 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat November 17th, 2012, 02:39 GMT 

I read somewhere that "Shake Sugaree" is a b-side from TOOM. I also read of a 35 minute version of "highlands." Does anyone know if this is true? If so, do you know where I can listen to any of these?

Who knows if they are even circulating.... Time out of Mind is my favorite dylan album.

What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Sat November 17th, 2012, 04:55 GMT 

Shake Sugaree was recorded for TOOM. Not a b-side as it hasn't been released officially on a record or anything. Longer version of highlands is rumored but both tracks do not circulate from what I know.

I wish they did, though.

PostPosted: Sat November 17th, 2012, 05:30 GMT 

bump

PostPosted: Sat November 17th, 2012, 09:54 GMT 

I think the 35 minute Highlands is a Dylan joke.

After the session someone asked him if he had a short version of the song. Dylan replied "That was the short version".

I suspect there's nothing more to it than that.

PostPosted: Sat November 17th, 2012, 10:05 GMT 

Live versions Of Shake Sugaree are available. Here's one from the bobdylan.com website, so it's more or less an 'official' release...

http://www.mediafire.com/?tfejxfebzndnlu4

PostPosted: Sat November 17th, 2012, 10:25 GMT 
Titanium Member

Thanks Brian.. Any details on when or where for that one?

PostPosted: Sat November 17th, 2012, 11:54 GMT 

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a longer version of Highland. When he recorded UTRS, they used to do extended jams, it would be great to have these to gain insight on the studio approach and to the creative process in the studio.

Shake Sugaree was played live several times during the NET and I usually love the versions of that song.

PostPosted: Sat November 17th, 2012, 12:24 GMT 

stephenoxford wrote:
Thanks Brian.. Any details on when or where for that one?

The Roxy, Atlanta GA, 12/01/97

It's from FROM THE VAULTS Vol 2

http://bobsboots.com/CDs/cd-f36.html

PostPosted: Sat November 17th, 2012, 15:18 GMT 

"Shake Sugaree" was being considered for release on Tell Tale Signs. Pretty sure it was a studio outtake.

-justin

PostPosted: Sat November 17th, 2012, 16:55 GMT 

I, too, doubt that there's a longer version of "Highlands." Like another poster already suggested, that rumor got going as the result of the alleged "that WAS the short version" retort. I've never heard of this "Shake Sugaree" but I'm going to check it out because like Nate8 (welcome to the boards, Nate8), Time Out of Mind is my favourite record.

PostPosted: Sat November 17th, 2012, 19:31 GMT 

Justin is right, Shake Sugaree from the TOOM sessions was on some kind of promotional working tracklist for Tell Tale Signs that also had TV Talkin' Song and Polly Vaughn. I always thought the longer version of Highlands was one of those apocryphal "oh that Bob" stories, but who knows.

PostPosted: Sat November 17th, 2012, 21:20 GMT 

ProletariatBuyingPower wrote:
Justin is right, Shake Sugaree from the TOOM sessions was on some kind of promotional working tracklist for Tell Tale Signs that also had TV Talkin' Song and Polly Vaughn. I always thought the longer version of Highlands was one of those apocryphal "oh that Bob" stories, but who knows.

I never saw that tracklist. If you find it, please post a link.

PostPosted: Sat November 17th, 2012, 21:31 GMT 

the longer version is about 26 minutes....contains another scene like the boston restaurant....it circulates.

PostPosted: Sat November 17th, 2012, 21:38 GMT 
Senior Moderator

oldfan wrote:
the longer version is about 26 minutes....contains another scene like the boston restaurant....it circulates.

Source?

PostPosted: Sat November 17th, 2012, 21:44 GMT 
Titanium Member

oldfan wrote:

It does indeed, and most reckon it beats the released version hands down

PostPosted: Sat November 17th, 2012, 22:03 GMT 

oldfan wrote:

Problem is, people will believe you!

PostPosted: Sun November 18th, 2012, 01:25 GMT 

workingmanblues wrote:
ProletariatBuyingPower wrote:

I never saw that tracklist. If you find it, please post a link.

the info was on watchtower and i think it came from Isis originally. you know who we need to ask? that Peter Stone Brown guy. he helped Columbia compile it and i think he heard some of the shortlisted stuff. Chris Saw (the engineer) said they short listed an alternate take of "Lonesome Day Blues" where his singing was incredible, but he was just ad-libbing at the beginning. also, an alternate of "Things Have Changed" that they couldn't locate in time.

-justin

PostPosted: Sun November 18th, 2012, 01:30 GMT 

Manflesh wrote:
oldfan wrote:

Problem is, people will believe you!

If Tedham is who i think he is - than he knows who has a tape of not only the longer "Highlands" but a few other songs that were originally cut in oxnard. A very early Not Dark Yet is on it - and it is astounding.

PostPosted: Sun November 18th, 2012, 02:26 GMT 

oldfan wrote:
If Tedham is who i think he is - than he knows who has a tape of not only the longer "Highlands" but a few other songs that were originally cut in oxnard. A very early Not Dark Yet is on it - and it is astounding.

I'm intrigued... Who has this Oxnard tape? How does one gain admittance to this inner sanctum of collectors?

PostPosted: Sun November 18th, 2012, 15:24 GMT 

cuth wrote:
oldfan wrote:

I'm intrigued... Who has this Oxnard tape? How does one gain admittance to this inner sanctum of collectors?

bump. i'd love to hear that stuff

PostPosted: Sun November 18th, 2012, 16:26 GMT 

There is also an alternate Standing in the Doorway that was strongly considered for Time Out Of Mind. I think it was Jim Dickinson that said in an interview with On The Tracks that they went back and forth on that one.

The alternate Things Have Changed and Oxnard Not Dark Yet were definitely missed on Tell Tale Signs. I hope they can find a way out and not languish in the vaults for another 15 or 20 years. With the news of Bootleg Series 10 and 11, hopefully all the prep work that has been done with listening to the thousands of tapes wil translate to less sporadic releases. I think the best is yet to come.

And I can't believe it has been 19 years since the Supper Clubs.

PostPosted: Mon November 19th, 2012, 00:53 GMT 

Shake Sugaree...drove to my brother's last night in New Haven, CT to hear his band rehearse and party a bit. For the long ride home, I threw in "Soul" (Berlin 1996) and was blown away by Bob's cover of the above...in fact, that whole boot's great!!

PostPosted: Mon November 19th, 2012, 05:15 GMT 

Loose Fur wrote:
I, too, doubt that there's a longer version of "Highlands." Like another poster already suggested, that rumor got going as the result of the alleged "that WAS the short version" retort. I've never heard of this "Shake Sugaree" but I'm going to check it out because like Nate8 (welcome to the boards, Nate8), Time Out of Mind is my favourite record.

Hey thanks! I'm glad I found this Dylan community!

PostPosted: Mon November 19th, 2012, 05:19 GMT 

Thanks for all of the info everyone! TOOM is one of those that I wish I could hear all of the alternate cuts/versions. There's just a vibe on that record that is unbeatable for me.

If bootleg series volume 10 was just an alternate version of highlands, I'd be thrilled.

Maybe that was a bit of a stretch, but I am looking forward to the new releases.

Please post sources if anyone has these lost versions. thanks for the Shake Sugaree...

PostPosted: Mon November 19th, 2012, 21:27 GMT 

Interesting! Would love to see this stuff one day. Highlands is in many ways my favorite Dylan song, and the vibe of Time Out Of Mind is absolutely unique, it's both roots and strangely modern at once, with all those instruments lost in the mix. Gotta be thankful to every runaway woman that brings you close to that album.
I listened to the third alternate of Mississippi now, and Bob's voice on that is similar to the acclaimed alternate "Can't Wait" indeed. I reckon "Shake Sugaree" would have balanced the great Dirt Road Blues very well...

I googled for the Oxnard sessions and found an article about engineer Mark Howard and his Time out of Mind story. He mentions a live show he mixed for Bob prior to that album, where they worked out a certain manipulated sound that later was used on Time Out Of Mind:

Quote:
Before Time Out of Mind came into play, we had been asked to mix this live show that Dylan had did. It was recorded for the Olympics in Atlanta, Georgia, he played The House of Blues, and they wanted to mix the recording for a Japanese release. And that was where a little bit of the sound of Time Out Of Mind began to become apparent.

On those recordings, I’d mixed the whole live show for them, and on the last song I was mixing, Dylan plays harmonica, and he says, “Hey, Mark, d’ya think you can make my harmonica sound electric on this one?” So I said, yeah, sure, and I took the harmonica off the tape and ran it through this little distortion box, and I played it, and he said, “Wow, that’s great.” So we’re mixing away, and, after he stops playing harmonica, he starts singing into the same mic, and Dylan hears his voice going through this little vocal amp, and he gets really excited about it. “Wow! This is great!” And so I had to remix the whole record, putting this little vocal amp on all of his vocals for the whole show. And that sound became the sound of Time Out Of Mind.

http://www.uncut.co.uk/bob-dylan/bob-dy ... -interview

Is this recording known to anybody?
The whole text is a really great read, by the way.

Columbia should install a fee-based online archive for all these wonderful lost tunes.