Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat October 21st, 2017, 05:05 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed September 19th, 2012, 12:13 GMT 
Titanium Member

raging_glory wrote:
I really don't get that anything is wrong. He moves around like a cat on stage. Quick and agile. Sure, he's 71 and he may want to sit a little more, but I think the piano is more than just a place to sit. He could have easily lowered the keyboard and gotten a piano bench. Apparently he rides his bike all over and I guess he still owns his gym so he probably still boxes and walks a ton. I think he's fine, just normal older age type things. Your back aches, your hands get stiff, etc.... I do remember reading about some back issues but I never knew if that was definite or just more speculation. That certainly seems logical seeing he has strapped on guitars for so many years. I think he looks and acts very healthy, but what do I know 8)

I agree. There's probably nothing wrong with him. He still smokes, at least he did back 2010, he lit up on stage in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. We only see what he lets us see.

PostPosted: Mon September 24th, 2012, 17:05 GMT 
Titanium Member

It should be pointed out that he most certainly does not have arthritis, which is a visible impairment. There are physical deformities that go along with that. This doesn't rule out him having some similar issue, but it ain't arthritis.

Beyond all that, I have to wonder if he's specifically shunning the acoustic guitar at this point, like it's too much a symbol of the past (bringing it out for the White House would jive with that). He may view standing there by himself, with harmonica holder and everything, as of a specific time and place. Much as we'd like to see it.

PostPosted: Mon September 24th, 2012, 17:21 GMT 

I've just watched his White House performance on youtube, which I guess is the last time he's been onstage with an acoustic guitar. He seems really uncomfortable with it - he keeps adjusting the strap all the way through, arching his back to change the position of the guitar as if it is bothering him. He has his guitar miked rather than plugged in which allows him to keep the guitar very low in the mix. He hardly plays the guitar anyway - he seems to get lost in the first chorus and stops playing after a few hesitant stabs. He comes in for the second chorus and gets the chords this time, but he is only lightly brushing the strings. His picking hand hardly moves, and the guitar is barely audible. At times, the pick is louder than the guitar. He fingers chord changes pretty nimbly, changing every other beat, which isn't easy to do, but he rarely plays a full chord, just picks out bass notes. The only time he really plays the guitar is at the end when he quickly strums the guitar as a final flourish. It hardly counts as a performance, the guitar is more like a prop.

I don't know what to make of it. His restlessness with the position of the guitar on his body suggests he was uncomfortable (but electrics are usually heavier ...) His fretting hand seems pretty nimble to me, although more for chords than for single lines. Acoustic strings are only really a pain if you don't have calluses on the ends of your fingers, and even electric guitarists will develop those pretty quickly. His picking hand however is largely static. He plays very reluctantly. I can't help thinking he was pressed into playing an acoustic guitar and didn't really know what to do with it.

PostPosted: Mon September 24th, 2012, 17:34 GMT 
Titanium Member

As far as that goes, I've always viewed it as him viewing the guitar as an accompaniment to the piano, instead of the other way around. He doesn't want to drown out the keys, so he was holding back on his own playing.

PostPosted: Mon September 24th, 2012, 19:45 GMT 
Mercury Member

Rheumatoid arthritis is the type that causes severe inflammation, fever, pain and nodules. Osteoarthritis is degenerative or normal wear and tear type. That could still be a possibility.

PostPosted: Mon September 24th, 2012, 22:59 GMT 
Titanium Member

Ah, but as we all know, As OA progresses, the affected joints appear larger, are stiff and painful, and usually feel better with gentle use but worse with excessive or prolonged use, thus distinguishing it from rheumatoid arthritis. In smaller joints, such as at the fingers, hard bony enlargements, called Heberden's nodes (on the distal interphalangeal joints) and/or Bouchard's nodes (on the proximal interphalangeal joints), may form, and though they are not necessarily painful, they do limit the movement of the fingers significantly. Also, anyone who accuses Warren Peace of copying that from Wikipedia is a LIAR [6].

PostPosted: Sat July 22nd, 2017, 00:32 GMT 

Stuart wrote:
I've just watched his White House performance on youtube, which I guess is the last time he's been onstage with an acoustic guitar. He seems really uncomfortable with it - he keeps adjusting the strap all the way through, arching his back to change the position of the guitar as if it is bothering him. He has his guitar miked rather than plugged in which allows him to keep the guitar very low in the mix. He hardly plays the guitar anyway - he seems to get lost in the first chorus and stops playing after a few hesitant stabs. He comes in for the second chorus and gets the chords this time, but he is only lightly brushing the strings. His picking hand hardly moves, and the guitar is barely audible. At times, the pick is louder than the guitar. He fingers chord changes pretty nimbly, changing every other beat, which isn't easy to do, but he rarely plays a full chord, just picks out bass notes. The only time he really plays the guitar is at the end when he quickly strums the guitar as a final flourish. It hardly counts as a performance, the guitar is more like a prop.

I don't know what to make of it. His restlessness with the position of the guitar on his body suggests he was uncomfortable (but electrics are usually heavier ...) His fretting hand seems pretty nimble to me, although more for chords than for single lines. Acoustic strings are only really a pain if you don't have calluses on the ends of your fingers, and even electric guitarists will develop those pretty quickly. His picking hand however is largely static. He plays very reluctantly. I can't help thinking he was pressed into playing an acoustic guitar and didn't really know what to do with it.

This is so true. I was listening to the acoustic solo rendition of "If you see her, say hello" from 1976. What a guitar player!!