Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue December 12th, 2017, 00:48 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed November 28th, 2007, 22:02 GMT 
well.. being as no one has ripped me to shreds for over posting (yet), which, of course, i take as absolute validation of the fact that i don't post enough... i've a question...

i was listening to the basement tapes the other night in the dark, and "golden loom" came on... and i was wondering what bob means by the term "golden loom," within that particular song.... which i find quite lovely...

(i especially like the phrasing he trills out in "across the bay go by"... sweet!...)

this might be a tedious question, but since some amazing genius helped me to understand what he was keeping in my fave "i'll keep it with mine" which really brought the song home to me even more, i thought i'd beg the resident experts for help with this one too....

as always, amazed and humbled by everyone's deep insights, and most appreciative... i’ll paste in the lyrics below, just for the sake of convenience and thoroughness…

Smoky autumn night, stars up in the sky,
I see the sailin' boats across the bay go by.
Eucalyptus trees hang above the street
And then I turn my head, for you're approachin' me.
Moonlight on the water, fisherman's daughter, floatin' in to my room
With a golden loom.

First we wash our feet near the immortal shrine
And then our shadows meet and then we drink the wine.
I see the hungry clouds up above your face
And then the tears roll down, what a bitter taste.
And then you drift away on a summer's day where the wildflowers bloom
With your golden loom.

I walk across the bridge in the dismal light
Where all the cars are stripped between the gates of night.
I see the trembling lion with the lotus flower tail
And then I kiss your lips as I lift your veil.
But you're gone and then all I seem to recall is the smell of perfume
And your golden loom.

PostPosted: Wed November 28th, 2007, 22:04 GMT 
Titanium Member

MoonlitSky wrote:
well.. being as no one has ripped me to shreds for over posting (yet), which, of course, i take as absolute validation of the fact that i don't post enough... i've a question...

i was listening to the basement tapes the other night in the dark, and "golden loom" came on... and i was wondering what bob means by the term "golden loom," within that particular song.... which i find quite lovely...

(i especially like the phrasing he trills out in "across the bay go by"... sweet!...)

this might be a tedious question, but since some amazing genius helped me to understand what he was keeping in my fave "i'll keep it with mine" which really brought the song home to me even more, i thought i'd beg the resident experts for help with this one too....

as always, amazed and humbled by everyone's deep insights, and most appreciative... i’ll paste in the lyrics below, just for the sake of convenience and thoroughness…

Smoky autumn night, stars up in the sky,
I see the sailin' boats across the bay go by.
Eucalyptus trees hang above the street
And then I turn my head, for you're approachin' me.
Moonlight on the water, fisherman's daughter, floatin' in to my room
With a golden loom.

First we wash our feet near the immortal shrine
And then our shadows meet and then we drink the wine.
I see the hungry clouds up above your face
And then the tears roll down, what a bitter taste.
And then you drift away on a summer's day where the wildflowers bloom
With your golden loom.

I walk across the bridge in the dismal light
Where all the cars are stripped between the gates of night.
I see the trembling lion with the lotus flower tail
And then I kiss your lips as I lift your veil.
But you're gone and then all I seem to recall is the smell of perfume
And your golden loom.

Okay, I will be the first ahahahahahahahah Just watch out for 24/7 aka LongJohn How ever I think hes actually short not tall at alll

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed November 28th, 2007, 22:05 GMT 
ahahah*cough*ahahah

If it turns out you're in the 4th grade all will be forgiven.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed November 28th, 2007, 22:07 GMT 
Titanium Member

could be the girls hair or an actual golden loom a harp of some kind perhaps I dont care if anyone attacks me anymore I quite enjoy it for some kind of kinky reason now anyway. Hey Where abouts in Arizona do you live I lived there once myself for a long time!!!!!! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed November 28th, 2007, 22:08 GMT 
i am a pacifist... i am a pacifist..... i'm really going to punch someone.. NO... i am a pacifist....

(assuming lotus position and hoping for the best)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed November 28th, 2007, 22:08 GMT 
Titanium Member

Oh!!! there you are longJohn It did not take you very long to come to the attack at my me I quite like it now though toooo sad for you I'm not in the 4th grade maybe the 5th or the 6th though :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed November 28th, 2007, 22:10 GMT 
GypsyDaisy wrote:
could be the girls hair or an actual golden loom a harp of some kind perhaps I dont care if anyone attacks me anymore I quite enjoy it for some kind of kinky reason now anyway. Hey Where abouts in Arizona do you live I lived there once myself for a long time!!!!!! :wink:

hmm.. interesting about the hair thing... i actually kinda like that....

i live in tucson.... (ohmmmmmm)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed November 28th, 2007, 22:12 GMT 

golden loom, loom of gold, an instrument that weaves fabric, made out of gold, precious, valuable, object that creates things, brings together different strands into a unified product, ... I don't know, it could be many things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed November 28th, 2007, 22:13 GMT 
Titanium Member

anytime you want to ask me a bob question no problem Moonlit sky. I think I have a spirtual marriage with bob myself but LongJohn will have a field day with this one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed November 28th, 2007, 22:15 GMT 
Titanium Member

Long John wrote:
ahahah*cough*ahahah

If it turns out you're in the 4th grade all will be forgiven.

Oh I mean hahahahahahahahahahah is that okay not LongJohn?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed November 28th, 2007, 22:17 GMT 
Titanium Member

smokin downthetrax wrote:
golden loom, loom of gold, an instrument that weaves fabric, made out of gold, precious, valuable, object that creates things, brings together different strands into a unified product, ... I don't know, it could be many things.

We have a winner folks!!! I love that an object that brings two things together into one unified product. all most like two people beccoming one in love.

PostPosted: Thu November 29th, 2007, 00:23 GMT 

MoonlitSky wrote:

Hmm? Basement tapes? Isn't that a Desire out take?

It is a pretty song.

PostPosted: Thu November 29th, 2007, 00:49 GMT 
Tarantula wrote:
MoonlitSky wrote:

Hmm? Basement tapes? Isn't that a Desire out take?

It is a pretty song.

hmm indeed.. well i have it on the "bootleg series," which i always thought was just called the basement tapes (?).... but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if i have that mixed up, not being anywhere near the bob expert that so many here are.... although.. now that you point that out... i do seem to recall that the basement tapes are the ones done at big pink, right??.... so yes, that would be totally wrong...

okay.. i'm an idiot... it's official...

PostPosted: Thu November 29th, 2007, 02:29 GMT 

Tarantula wrote:
Isn't that a Desire out take?

Yep.

PostPosted: Thu November 29th, 2007, 03:20 GMT 

MoonlitSky wrote:
hmm indeed.. well i have it on the "bootleg series," which i always thought was just called the basement tapes (?)....

:cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu November 29th, 2007, 03:42 GMT 
sigh...

i know... i know... i'm properly ashamed and horrified... in the future if anyone brings it up, i'm planning on saying i was blindingly drunk...

:oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu November 29th, 2007, 04:22 GMT 
Promethium Member

-------some amazing genius helped me to understand what he was keeping in my fave "i'll keep it with mine"-------

I think it's great your fave's meaning can elude you and still be your fave.

So what was it?

The basement tapes are a completely different beast than the Bootleg Series...if you want a taste listen to Santa Fe, a charming bsement number though nowhere near as good as it gets. There are about a million hours of basment tapes material out there (mostly on boots), and every second is priceless.

I always thought a golden loom was a loom that spun gold, though I always took in a more quasi-spiritual way than as literal gold.

Did someone just suggest it was a x?

If so, I think that is great, and will sing the song loudly and off key next time I'm drunk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu November 29th, 2007, 04:28 GMT 
Mercury Member

I've always thought of this story that was read to me when I was very, very, young.

http://www.mainlesson.com/display.php?a ... y=daughter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu November 29th, 2007, 05:17 GMT 
i can only explain my boob-headedness about the basement tapes/bootleg thing by saying i've had a really irritating day.. but, as always, i appreciate everyone's guidance... i love bob's work, but i'm far from knowing much of what you all know...

the "keep it with mine" thing... during the thread, i had asked what was the "it," and someone (i should really go back and look at who) pointed out it was "time"... which made absolute sense, considering the lyric, and must just be another boob moment on my part... as for loving the song and not knowing that... i dunno why... maybe it's just the sound... the sweet, earnest quality of his voice... all i know is the first time i heard it, i about died... and i love new and old stuff, so it's not a matter of preferring that voice over another..

mr T... that is a highly disturbing fairy tale to read to a small child... ack!... but most of the old fairy tales are incredibly gruesome... which freaks me out to no end...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu November 29th, 2007, 05:35 GMT 
okay.. i went back to look it up.. credit where credit is due and all that...

"the mighty monkey of mim" told me... (it's bad when a monkey knows more than you do about your fave...but good when the monkey tells you)

and now, let my shame pass into history.... with all the other rotten crap that happened today...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu November 29th, 2007, 05:44 GMT 
Whatever you do, don't go near the boat. Stay away from the water altogether.
Lancelot is an ass.hole.

PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2012, 00:38 GMT 

Technically, a loom is a machine that weaves cloth. It seems silly that the woman in the song is dragging around a large bulky machine, so I guess Dylan meant it to be the cloth made by the loom. He probably released it made no sense and decided not to put it on Desire.

PostPosted: Mon September 24th, 2012, 23:35 GMT 

Many ancient goddesses of various cultures are associated with a loom (many times golden) and/or weaving . . . the color gold is also often associated w/the sun. The song sounds like a dreamlike to me.

PostPosted: Tue September 25th, 2012, 00:05 GMT 

I see it as a sort of radiance, like when someone walks in and 'lights up the room'. She's larger than life. At the end all he remembers is the smell of perfume and the euphoria he felt with her.

Just my take on it.

PostPosted: Tue September 25th, 2012, 00:17 GMT 
Titanium Member

Good Lord, do I love this song. The Desire sessions really yielded a harvest. Anyone who says otherwise has to try to record drums and vocals as good as this record.