Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun October 22nd, 2017, 08:27 GMT

All times are UTC

Will Bob Dylan get the Noble Prize for Literature in 2012 ?
Yes 7%  7%  [ 8 ]
No 38%  38%  [ 43 ]
He should get it. 37%  37%  [ 42 ]
After "Tempest" he deserves it. 7%  7%  [ 8 ]
He doesn't deserve it - he is not a real writer. 7%  7%  [ 8 ]
Other 4%  4%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 114
PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 14:10 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
It doesn't seem to have anything to do with one opus?

My mistake.

Johanna Parker wrote:
However, putting out a book of the best of the best would mean he had to make a conscious attempt at getting the prize. It would seem like a calculated effort, even if it succeeded.

I would make this calculated effort, if i had any talent :)

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 14:25 GMT 
Promethium Member

In the best of worlds, one would make a calculated effort to be the best one can, regardless of any prizes it might bring. But as I said, if he really wants it very much, he can try - maybe he will try. Do you think he tried for the Oscar?

I don't think he will care much for the money, I'm not sure he will care for the medal, I'm quite sure he will escape the ceremony as soon as he can, but otherwise it will be great. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 14:26 GMT 
Mercury Member

Johanna Parker wrote:

Not at all, it's quite a pleasant day really. All I'm saying is that people are pleased for themselves each time Bob gets an award.

I'm afraid you're misinterpreting the word proud as used in this instance. I remember this same idea surfacing around the Medal of Freedom. You seem to think when someones says they are proud of him for receiving awards, that they are trying to share in his glory or accomplishments when in fact, that is not the type of pride being spoken of here. It would be more in line with the type of pride a parent has for their child. It's a thrill when they are recognized for an accomplishment or action in which you were already aware of, but the world at large may not have been. It's a quite common human emotion, you know. I just used family as a relate-able example. I am proud of ANY honor heaped upon Bob Dylan because I believe they are well deserved and HE deserves the praise or attention........not myself or anyone here who expresses that.

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 14:26 GMT 

If he puts out a book of his best lyrics, that would be a compilation. Do they give the prize for a compilation?

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 14:35 GMT 
Promethium Member

raging_glory wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:

Not at all, it's quite a pleasant day really. All I'm saying is that people are pleased for themselves each time Bob gets an award.

I'm afraid you're misinterpreting the word proud as used in this instance. I remember this same idea surfacing around the Medal of Freedom. You seem to think when someones says they are proud of him for receiving awards, that they are trying to share in his glory or accomplishments when in fact, that is not the type of pride being spoken of here. It would be more in line with the type of pride a parent has for their child. It's a thrill when they are recognized for an accomplishment or action in which you were already aware of, but the world at large may not have been. It's a quite common human emotion, you know. I just used family as a relate-able example. I am proud of ANY honor heaped upon Bob Dylan because I believe they are well deserved and HE deserves the praise or attention........not myself or anyone here who expresses that.

He's not our child, we didn't raise him, we didn't teach him.... I understand what you're saying, but expressing pride always has more to do with oneself than it does with the other person. If the Lit-Nob prize is what he wants, and he gets it, sure I'll be happy for him, but he achieved it by himself. No-one else could play that tune.

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 14:40 GMT 
Mercury Member

Johanna Parker wrote:
He's not our child, we didn't raise him, we didn't teach him.... I understand what you're saying, but expressing pride always has more to do with oneself than it does with the other person.

No, it doesn't. I also stated family was an example because I already knew that would be your reply.

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 14:41 GMT 
Titanium Member

raging_glory wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:

big big party if bob wins. french bread with cheese and tomatoes on top. beer and jack daniels flowin everywhere. 4-6 pinatas.

we may not have raised him or taught but we(we minus me) most certainly googled him. :arrow:

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 14:43 GMT 

Yeah, we googled him like he was one of our own!

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 14:44 GMT 

I'm Stark Naked wrote:
If he puts out a book of his best lyrics, that would be a compilation. Do they give the prize for a compilation?

No idea. But i was totally wrong when i said it is was for one opus. Sorry for the mistake.

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 14:48 GMT 
Titanium Member

I'm Stark Naked wrote:

thats right, we surely did, not all of us, but some. :!:

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 14:48 GMT 
Mercury Member

raging_glory wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:

goombay wrote:
big big party if bob wins. french bread with cheese and tomatoes on top. beer and jack daniels flowin everywhere. 4-6 pinatas.

we may not have raised him or taught but we(we minus me) most certainly googled him. :arrow:

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 14:55 GMT 

goombay wrote:
I'm Stark Naked wrote:

I'm proud of those who didn't!

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 14:57 GMT 
Promethium Member

raging_glory wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:
He's not our child, we didn't raise him, we didn't teach him.... I understand what you're saying, but expressing pride always has more to do with oneself than it does with the other person.

No, it doesn't. I also stated family was an example because I already knew that would be your reply.

Please give me another example, in which there is no direct relation between the proud person and the person they are proud of. Being proud of Bob makes you feel good, doesn't it? Nothing wrong with that, but anything that makes you feel good has to do with you, esp in cases where the one you are proud of never knows it. (I'm using "you" in terms of anyone who feels like that, it's nothing personal against you.) You even say it is about your own awareness.

raging_glory wrote:
It's a thrill when they are recognized for an accomplishment or action in which you were already aware of, but the world at large may not have been.

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 14:59 GMT 
Titanium Member

Pride is a deadly sin, avoid at all costs

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 15:06 GMT 

Tedham wrote:
Pride is a deadly sin, avoid at all costs

Not if you're proud of somebody else - then it's them who's at fault! :shock:

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 15:07 GMT 
Promethium Member

^^^
Does that mean he shouldn't accept the prize, or not done the work in the first place?

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 15:08 GMT 
Mercury Member

JP, I know you will argue a point for a long time and I'm not willing to do that. My point is, there is selfish pride (Tedham mentions) and pride which is completely unselfish and about the other person being lifted up. I'm sorry I can't express that clearly to you.

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 15:10 GMT 
Titanium Member

Quote:
I'm Stark Naked wrote:

I'm proud of those who didn't!

so am i, im also getting ready to get proud for the peeps that gonna vote him for him for the nobel prize/ and not so proud for those that dont. not so proud of peeps whose googlin activities may have cost bob a few votes.
proud as a music lover that bob, as a music icon that has an unique way with a lyric, is gettin his due. the world of music, our world, that means so much to all of us, would be a much better place. :idea:

Last edited by goombay on Sat September 15th, 2012, 15:11 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 15:11 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
^^^
Does that mean he shouldn't accept the prize, or not done the work in the first place?

He should accept the prize and not do the work. I get a paycheck every week based on the same principle...

As for the Nobel, I think he won't get it. They have a fixed idea of what they want and to be honest, I don't think his lyrics are meant to be understood as stand alone works, they work better when they're sung, and the prize is only for the written word...

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 15:12 GMT 
Promethium Member

raging_glory wrote:
JP, I know you will argue a point for a long time and I'm not willing to do that. My point is, there is selfish pride (Tedham mentions) and pride which is completely unselfish and about the other person being lifted up. I'm sorry I can't express that clearly to you.

I think it's a cultural thing - as I said, nothing against you. We can look at it from different sides.

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 15:13 GMT 
Mercury Member

Now back to the actually thread..... :wink:

Untrodden Path wrote:
The committee generally looks for complete unknowns... and Bob isn't.

Paulo Coelho and Jose Saramago both won (at least I think they did)... and I don't think either one was an "complete unknown" at the time..... they were not known on the same scale as Dylan..... but when you come right down to it you can still find someone who says... "Who?" when you say.... "Do you have the new Rolling Stone.... it has Dylan on the cover?"......... :roll: By the way, they both also write books that can make even the wildest of Dylan's stuff look so very down to earth..... And if you have not read them yet, both should be on your reading list.... :D

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 15:16 GMT 

I'm Stark Naked wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:
^^^

He should accept the prize and not do the work. I get a paycheck every week based on the same principle...

As for the Nobel, I think he won't get it. They have a fixed idea of what they want and to be honest, I don't think his lyrics are meant to be understood as stand alone works, they work better when they're sung, and the prize is only for the written word...

You're mentioning something important here, and I fully agree. Much of Dylan's lyrics need to be performed in order to work.

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 15:16 GMT 
Mercury Member

Would it be funny if they gave it to him and said it was for "Tarantula"? :lol:
yeah, the odds on that one would be about a milliion to one!!!!! :wink:

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 15:30 GMT 

Lily Rose wrote:
Now back to the actually thread..... :wink:

Untrodden Path wrote:
The committee generally looks for complete unknowns... and Bob isn't.

Paulo Coelho and Jose Saramago both won (at least I think they did)... and I don't think either one was an "complete unknown" at the time..... they were not known on the same scale as Dylan..... but when you come right down to it you can still find someone who says... "Who?" when you say.... "Do you have the new Rolling Stone.... it has Dylan on the cover?"......... :roll: By the way, they both also write books that can make even the wildest of Dylan's stuff look so very down to earth..... And if you have not read them yet, both should be on your reading list.... :D

Paulo Coelho hasn't won it, but I agree with what you're saying. Since 2000, winners have included Harold Pinter, Doris Lessing, V. S. Naipaul, J. M. Coetzee, Orhan Pamuk and Mario Vargas Llosa. As far as I can remember, they were all pretty well known before they got the price.

Thanks for the tip with Saramago, I want to read his stuff. What are good books to start with? As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I think Orhan Pamuk can be absolutely brilliant. Both "Black Book" and "My Name Is Red" are some of the most interesting novels I've ever read, but nearly all his books are very, very good. On another note, I can't understand why J. M. G. Le Clézio won it in 2008, I've found what I've read of him to be extremely boring. It's probably very good on a purely literary basis, but it just doesn't click with me at all.

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 15:37 GMT 
Mercury Member

I would start Jose Saramago with "All the Names", and just so you know.... do not expect a real possible type story..... but you will be so into his characters..... books for sure to get lost in when you want to put away the real world for a while.... I don't think he is anywhere near as 'real life' as Paulo Coelho stories.... but I guess I put them together in my head because they both pull you in and take you deep....