Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri October 20th, 2017, 01:35 GMT

All times are UTC

Will Bob Dylan get the Noble Prize for Literature in 2012 ?
Yes 7%  7%  [ 8 ]
No 38%  38%  [ 43 ]
He should get it. 37%  37%  [ 42 ]
After "Tempest" he deserves it. 7%  7%  [ 8 ]
He doesn't deserve it - he is not a real writer. 7%  7%  [ 8 ]
Other 4%  4%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 114
PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 08:09 GMT 

What is your opinion on the Noble Prize for Literature ?

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 08:13 GMT 

Hope not. Preferred it when Bob wasn't mainstream. I survived the 80's.

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 09:12 GMT 

Heinrich Detering, professor for german literature and Bob scholar said it like that: "Dylan doesn´t need the Nobel Prize but the Nobel Prize needs Dylan." I think that sums it up quite neatly: the jury of the Nobel Prize is by now a bunch of misanthropic old men despising the average reader. No way they´ll ever give the Prize to Philipp Roth, leave alone Bob Dylan. But a few more Jelineks and Tranströmers and the Prize will vanish into oblivion, completely detached from relevant literature.

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 09:25 GMT 
Promethium Member

It would be pretty cool if he refused that.
:lol:

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 10:05 GMT 
Titanium Member

Winston Churchill won it in 1953 for "for his mastery of historical and biographical description as well as for brilliant oratory in defending exalted human values".

Why not Bob?

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 10:47 GMT 

He should, but he won't...

They have too much of a stick up their ass.

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 11:28 GMT 
Mercury Member

hanns wrote:
Heinrich Detering, professor for german literature and Bob scholar said it like that: "Dylan doesn´t need the Nobel Prize but the Nobel Prize needs Dylan." I think that sums it up quite neatly: the jury of the Nobel Prize is by now a bunch of misanthropic old men despising the average reader. No way they´ll ever give the Prize to Philipp Roth, leave alone Bob Dylan. But a few more Jelineks and Tranströmers and the Prize will vanish into oblivion, completely detached from relevant literature.

Yes, very well put..... and no he would not refuse it.....

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 11:39 GMT 
Mercury Member

Very doubtful he'll get it, and since Obama got the peace prize basically for being black and not being George Bush the whole idea has become increasingly irrelevant and absurd outside of the world of scientific research.

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 11:48 GMT 

hanns wrote:

Very much agree. I would argue that his cultural and lyrical influence over the last fifty years merit this recognition by the Nobel committee. It may not be 'high' literature but its lasting significance and influence in my[and I suspect our]listening[and reading] experience is indisputable. I have no problem with him being recognized with this prize, should they go that way.

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 11:56 GMT 
Promethium Member

Lily Rose wrote:

I didn't say he would, I said it'd be cool IF he would. I mean, people have been going on about it for ages, it comes up every year. Imagine they really wanted to give it to him, and here comes Bob saying, thanks, but no thanks, I don't need it.

It's true he doesn't need it, though I don't doubt he'd be proud of it being for literature as opposed to the 25th Grammy or whatever. But I honestly think it's more important for everyone else looking to him, than it is for himself. We'd get a new round of people posting on here how proud they are of his latest achievement. Proud? What business does anyone here have being proud of him? We have no part in the things that he does.

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 11:58 GMT 

^

I was curious and I've bought a Tranströmer's book some time ago.

Well... Dylan IS high poetry.

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 12:02 GMT 
Promethium Member

Foggy wrote:
Hope not. Preferred it when Bob wasn't mainstream. I survived the 80's.

Agree with Fog.

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 12:05 GMT 

Interestingly now after 33 votes about 50 % ("he should get it" + "he deserves it after Tempest") of the ER users are convinced he should get it but no one thinks he really will get it this year. :(
May be I should bring in a more positive and optimistic spirit and be the first to vote for "Yes, he will" ?

Last edited by ginger_1964 on Sat September 15th, 2012, 12:22 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 12:09 GMT 
Mercury Member

Johanna Parker wrote:
Lily Rose wrote:

I didn't say he would, I said it'd be cool IF he would. I mean, people have been going on about it for ages, it comes up every year. Imagine they really wanted to give it to him, and here comes Bob saying, thanks, but no thanks, I don't need it.

It's true he doesn't need it, though I don't doubt he'd be proud of it being for literature as opposed to the 25th Grammy or whatever. But I honestly think it's more important for everyone else looking to him, than it is for himself. We'd get a new round of people posting on here how proud they are of his latest achievement. Proud? What business does anyone here have being proud of him? We have no part in the things that he does.

Having a bad day or what? :?
I not only don't think he would refuse, I don't think it would be cool if he did..... The Nobel is not the Ed Sullivan show...........and as to being proud ..... maybe he should be proud .... or maybe we should be very pleased for him..... and as to no part in the things he does.... yeah, true.... but really the whole world is his influences..... so although we have no credit in what he does... we all for sure influence what he does....ain't the english language a bitch.....all those little ins and outs..... :P

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 12:34 GMT 
Promethium Member

hanns wrote:
Heinrich Detering, professor for german literature and Bob scholar said it like that:
"Dylan doesn´t need the Nobel Prize but the Nobel Prize needs Dylan."

Thanks for that hanns. Need anything more be said?

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 12:39 GMT 
Promethium Member

Lily Rose wrote:
Having a bad day or what? :?
I not only don't think he would refuse, I don't think it would be cool if he did..... The Nobel is not the Ed Sullivan show...........and as to being proud ..... maybe he should be proud .... or maybe we should be very pleased for him..... and as to no part in the things he does.... yeah, true.... but really the whole world is his influences..... so although we have no credit in what he does... we all for sure influence what he does....ain't the english language a bitch.....all those little ins and outs..... :P

Not at all, it's quite a pleasant day really. All I'm saying is that people are pleased for themselves each time Bob gets an award.

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 12:46 GMT 

hanns wrote:

I do think the Literature Price is pretty relevant. About half of the last ten laureates were already quite well known and popular authors. And out of them, I think Orhan Pamuk is one of the most relevant authors in our times. On the other side, I think they're quite good at alternating between celebrating acclaimed authors and bringing out less well known ones, whose work deserve to be read.

The only real issue I have with the Nobel Price for Literature is that they gave it to Bjørnstjerne Bjørson instead of Henrik Ibsen. A horrible, horrible mistake, that will only prove to be more grotesque as the years go by.

However, I hope that there will be more Asian and African laureates in the near future.

You never know, but I don't think they'll ever give it to Dylan. If that should happen, it would have to be for his entire body of work as a whole. I think it would be flat out wrong to give him the prize on the basis of "Tempest" alone.

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 12:51 GMT 

matulah wrote:

You never know, but I don't think they'll ever give it to Dylan. If that should happen, it would have to be for his entire body of work as a whole. I think it would be flat out wrong to give him the prize on the basis of "Tempest" alone.

He should release a book with the lyrics of his best songs. That would give him the nobel price.

There's an open group on facebook. Some of you might want to join.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/BobDylanNobelPrize/

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 13:09 GMT 

slimtimslide wrote:
Very doubtful he'll get it, and since Obama got the peace prize basically for being black and not being George Bush the whole idea has become increasingly irrelevant and absurd outside of the world of scientific research.

I agree that the Peace Price has fallen (although last year was an improvement), but I don't think this has spilled over to the other Prizes. It's hard for me to say this, but the Swedes still know what they are doing, whereas us Norwegians really don't.

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 13:24 GMT 
Promethium Member

The committee generally looks for complete unknowns... and Bob isn't.

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 13:27 GMT 

I don't think he should get it, not because he doesn't deserve it but because there are probably lesser known writers out there who deserve it more. I'm not well enough read to state definitively who should get it, maybe we should ask oldfan?

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 13:32 GMT 
Promethium Member

borisw wrote:
He should release a book with the lyrics of his best songs. That would give him the nobel price.

There's an open group on facebook. Some of you might want to join.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/BobDylanNobelPrize/

Who would want to select what his best songs or writings are? Himself? The songs are there already if they want to give him a prize, even if the official book of lyrics is not up-to-date anymore. Maybe someone could gather some of his other writings instead, his program and liner notes and poems - there are some very good things.

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 13:40 GMT 

The lyrics are already out there, in other peoples books...

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 13:50 GMT 

I'm Stark Naked wrote:
The lyrics are already out there, in other peoples books...

:lol:
Johanna Parker wrote:

Who would want to select what his best songs or writings are? Himself? The songs are there already if they want to give him a prize, even if the official book of lyrics is not up-to-date anymore. Maybe someone could gather some of his other writings instead, his program and liner notes and poems - there are some very good things.

Yes, himself.
I don't think they give it for an entire body of work. I think it's for one selected opus.
He must also have tones of papers full of unreleased jewels...

PostPosted: Sat September 15th, 2012, 14:00 GMT 
Promethium Member

It doesn't seem to have anything to do with one opus?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Prize_in_Literature

However, putting out a book of the best of the best would mean he had to make a conscious attempt at getting the prize. It would seem like a calculated effort, even if it succeeded.

Yes, he must have countless papers lying around, and countless ones that he didn't even keep, like the foto-rhetoric.