Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri December 15th, 2017, 16:04 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed August 29th, 2012, 23:01 GMT 
Titanium Member

who else, in the middle of an edgar allen poe poem, would say "this is a loong poem"

what a lolcake

i reckon that bob is as good a radio presenter as he is a songwriter; i mean it. i'd love this even if bob hadn't made any records of his own.

PostPosted: Wed August 29th, 2012, 23:35 GMT 
Titanium Member

^ Andy speaks truth. 8)

PostPosted: Wed August 29th, 2012, 23:45 GMT 
Mercury Member

Where are you downloading these Andy? I haven't listened to any of them yet :?

PostPosted: Thu August 30th, 2012, 00:44 GMT 
Titanium Member

you have mail

PostPosted: Thu August 30th, 2012, 10:04 GMT 
Promethium Member

Find them, r_g, they're great. I was just listening to the two Train episodes this week which reminded me that I have almost all of seasons 2 and 3 still ahead of me, that I never listened to. Gonna start with that soon. :)

PostPosted: Thu August 30th, 2012, 16:42 GMT 

Hey Andy. Theme Time Radio Hour is genius ! :)

PostPosted: Fri May 24th, 2013, 16:17 GMT 

Awwlll...shucks...gotta love that part of the "Women's Names" show when Bobby recites Edgar Allan Poe's "Annabel Lee". Ya know, I actually first listened to that episode of Theme Time when I was vacationing at the beach for a week last summer..no kidding...I was going for a stroll on the boardwalk and I was listening to this particular show on my mp3 player...if you listen carefully to this part of the show, you'll hear how Bob and the brilliant TTRH team included the sounds of SEAGULLS and ocean surf as part of the recording of Bob's reading of this seaside-themed poem...but when I heard the cries of seagulls during the poem, I actually wasn't sure if they were REAL seagull calls I was hearing, from the gulls that were flying around at the boardwalk, or if I was hearing them as part of the recording of the show! LOL (Later on, when I got back home, I listened to that part of the show again and realized, of course, that the seagull calls were indeed a part of the show's audio...I was laughin' a bit at that!...)

Speakin' of Edgar Allan Poe... Bob's lovely reading of Poe's "Annabel Lee" encouraged and inspired me to check out the Edgar Allan Poe National Historic Site in Philadelphia- I visited that site late last summer, it was really cool! The awesome staff there are so warm, knowledgeable and friendly- you sure learn a lot when you go there!...It's really amazing to get to be in the same rooms, the same house that Edgar Allan Poe himself once lived in, where he composed some of his most well-known works, including "The Tell-Tale Heart," "The Murders in the Rue Morgue," and "The Gold-Bug". They even have a nice, cozy reading room where you can just chill for as long as you want to and read Poe's works there (they have copies of his works there for you to read, of course)... And, by the way, I think I once read that Bob himself even stopped by the Edgar Allan Poe Historic Site once- I believe it was in August 2008, when he played at the Electric Factory, which is actually located practically right down the street from the Edgar Allan Poe site....very, very cool....So if you ever go to Philly, be sure to stop by the Edgar Allan Poe National Historic Site!

-also have to say that it was interesting how the Women's Names show starts out with Ellen Barkin saying something like, "Fog horns bellow in the gloom along the wharf...", that was also strangely rather appropriate for my seaside stroll.... also, the show opens up with Charlie Parker's sweet performance of the popular song, "Laura" playing in the background. This was very cool for me to hear, because soon after I first heard that "Women's Names" show, it just so happened that this popular composition "Laura" turned up again, in my piano lesson book! It was really neat to learn to play "Laura" on the piano, a beautiful, haunting piece...really cool to think that this composition was featured on TTRH and that I could learn to play it.....I've been playing "Laura" regularly, ever since then-it's always a joy to play.

*just want to add that one of my other favorite 'lolcake' moments from Bob on his show was when he sang a little bit after he played The Ramones' version of "Do You Wanna Dance"...I was riding my bike on Philadelphia's Wissahickon Trail (which, coincidentally, Edgar Allan Poe actually wrote about the Wissahickon Creeek in his 1844 work, "Morning on the Wissahiccon" hmmm...). As I was bicycling I listened to the "Dance"-themed episode for the first time....and, for some reason, as I heard "Do You Wanna Dance" being played on the show, I had a feeling that "our host" was going to sing a bit of the song (cause' its just so darn catchy) right after the record would end...and sure enough, the record ends and he sings a bit of it ...I thought to myself, "DANG! I knew it! I knew he was gonna do that! knew he was gonna sing!! LOL...silly 8)