Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon December 18th, 2017, 01:29 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue August 21st, 2012, 22:00 GMT 

Joined: Wed April 11th, 2007, 04:15 GMT
Posts: 1496
Location: City of Angels
http://youtu.be/TXgXXM71IC8

I woke up this mornin’
There were tears in my bed
They killed a man I really loved
Shot him through the head
Lord, Lord
They cut George Jackson down
Lord, Lord
They laid him in the ground

Sent him off to prison
For a seventy-dollar robbery
Closed the door behind him
And they threw away the key
Lord, Lord
They cut George Jackson down
Lord, Lord
They laid him in the ground

He wouldn’t take shit from no one
He wouldn’t bow down or kneel
Authorities, they hated him
Because he was just too real
Lord, Lord
They cut George Jackson down
Lord, Lord
They laid him in the ground

Prison guards, they cursed him
As they watched him from above
But they were frightened of his power
They were scared of his love.
Lord, Lord,
So they cut George Jackson down.
Lord, Lord,
They laid him in the ground.

Sometimes I think this whole world
Is one big prison yard
Some of us are prisoners
The rest of us are guards
Lord, Lord
They cut George Jackson down
Lord, Lord
They laid him in the ground


41 years ago today, the leader of The Black Panther Party & self-avowed Marxist George Jackson was killed in a prison riot.
And so I thought it would be appropriate to post this here and see what everyone thinks of this controversial person and song.
What do we all think of this one?
Personally, I find the song amazing & quite powerful...maybe Bob's finest 'funeral' song....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue August 21st, 2012, 23:04 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri April 13th, 2012, 13:23 GMT
Posts: 989
Location: San Jose, CA.
i really love this song.
i prefer the acoustic version most of the time.
i always find myself singing the chorus.
i love how, like St. Augustine, if i didn't know better, i couldn't be sure if George Jackson was real or not; like Pretty Boy Floyd or one of those old folk songs about an outlaw.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri August 24th, 2012, 05:36 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri April 13th, 2012, 13:23 GMT
Posts: 989
Location: San Jose, CA.
i guess we're the only fans of this song? :?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri August 24th, 2012, 06:53 GMT 

Joined: Wed April 11th, 2007, 04:15 GMT
Posts: 1496
Location: City of Angels
Oh, it's just Tempest fever....

One other thing, I actually prefer the 'big band' version of this song...
And the final verse is so heart-wrenchingly honest, I get chills no matter what version it is.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri August 24th, 2012, 07:51 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun April 5th, 2009, 10:21 GMT
Posts: 1071
thisisjohn wrote:
i guess we're the only fans of this song? :?

I love it, too. I prefer the big band version, though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri August 24th, 2012, 07:59 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Thu September 3rd, 2009, 13:58 GMT
Posts: 333
As a song (melody and lyrics) I initially liked it. Then I read the wikipedia entry on Jackson. Sounds like he was a reprehensible brutal human being. If you're going to romanticize an anti-authority figure I think it's best to do it with someone long gone (like Pretty Boy). Imagine the relatives of the victims of Jackson's crimes hearing this song...Anyone know if Dylan had secong thoughts about this one? Maybe that's one reason he never played it live...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri August 24th, 2012, 10:49 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 21447
It'd be great to see him attempt it now.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri August 24th, 2012, 13:19 GMT 

Joined: Thu August 30th, 2007, 22:44 GMT
Posts: 3974
The coolest thing to me about this song (apart from that powerhouse solo acoustic performance) is the way he ties in Zimbardo's Stanford prison experiment, which concluded the day before Jackson was killed, at the end:

Sometimes I think this whole world is one big prison yard
Some of us are prisoners, the rest of us are guards


I like that he saw both of those coincidental news items and together they inspired a song.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri August 24th, 2012, 13:29 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed June 22nd, 2011, 10:06 GMT
Posts: 3712
duke of deception wrote:
As a song (melody and lyrics) I initially liked it. Then I read the wikipedia entry on Jackson. Sounds like he was a reprehensible brutal human being. If you're going to romanticize an anti-authority figure I think it's best to do it with someone long gone (like Pretty Boy). Imagine the relatives of the victims of Jackson's crimes hearing this song...Anyone know if Dylan had secong thoughts about this one? Maybe that's one reason he never played it live...


I don't mind , as long as it's a good song . Dylan's heroes weren't always so great in real life . But that doesn't matter . It's like Oscar Wilde wrote :


:

Quote:




There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all.


Those who find ugly meanings in beautiful things are corrupt without being charming. This is a fault.


Those who find beautiful meanings in beautiful things are the cultivated. For these there is hope. They are the elect to whom beautiful things mean only beauty.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri August 24th, 2012, 14:14 GMT 

Joined: Thu September 25th, 2008, 13:21 GMT
Posts: 894
terrible song. both versions.

-justin


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri August 24th, 2012, 14:28 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Thu September 3rd, 2009, 13:58 GMT
Posts: 333
Tragos114 wrote:
duke of deception wrote:
As a song (melody and lyrics) I initially liked it. Then I read the wikipedia entry on Jackson. Sounds like he was a reprehensible brutal human being. If you're going to romanticize an anti-authority figure I think it's best to do it with someone long gone (like Pretty Boy). Imagine the relatives of the victims of Jackson's crimes hearing this song...Anyone know if Dylan had secong thoughts about this one? Maybe that's one reason he never played it live...


I don't mind , as long as it's a good song . Dylan's heroes weren't always so great in real life . But that doesn't matter . It's like Oscar Wilde wrote :


:

Quote:




There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all.


Those who find ugly meanings in beautiful things are corrupt without being charming. This is a fault.


Those who find beautiful meanings in beautiful things are the cultivated. For these there is hope. They are the elect to whom beautiful things mean only beauty.

Well, what if you substitute George Jackson with Pol Pot? (Or even Γεώργιος Παπαδόπουλος :wink: ) I think there is a tipping point somewhere where the person you're making heroic in song has behaved so badly that the song won't be able to have the effect the author was going for.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri August 24th, 2012, 17:10 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Thu January 27th, 2011, 02:52 GMT
Posts: 175
Location: Southern US
I've always thought it was a little odd to write an ode to a violent criminal like Jackson. It's not a bad song, on its own, but the subject matter just makes it too hard to really enjoy. Its definitely a curiosity, isn't it?

It might just be me, but has it ever crossed anyone else's mind that maybe it was written to be ironic? You know, kind of in response to all the people who picture Dylan as some kind of revolutionary or something. Writing an ode in praise of some violent, far out there extremist seems like the kind of response I can imagine Dylan giving to that.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri August 24th, 2012, 20:56 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue February 17th, 2009, 02:57 GMT
Posts: 6248
notdarkyet2 wrote:
terrible song. both versions.

-justin


Yes, it's pretty flaccid. Maybe Bob was trying to get his New York cred on again, or something, but had a way to go.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri August 24th, 2012, 22:53 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed August 17th, 2011, 21:12 GMT
Posts: 302
Location: Some other shore
Here's an older thread about the song. I posted it because it contains interesting information, and not just the usual untwisted coat-hangers stuck in a pregnant moon.

viewtopic.php?p=939233

"On Visiting George Jackson"

https://sites.google.com/site/maskspoet ... ge-jackson


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat August 25th, 2012, 05:12 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Thu September 3rd, 2009, 13:58 GMT
Posts: 333
Lady Medusa wrote:
Here's an older thread about the song. I posted it because it contains interesting information, and not just the usual untwisted coat-hangers stuck in a pregnant moon.


What's that mean??


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group