Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue October 17th, 2017, 11:39 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat August 7th, 2010, 20:22 GMT 

New York City
January 20 1998
http://www.sendspace.com/file/2v0bw1

thanks marker,...for this nice version here,...

PostPosted: Sun August 8th, 2010, 07:02 GMT 

My pleasure:)
98 was really a great year for the song.
Here's another great one from later on in the year in Bremen Germany.
Some beautifully sung verses, excellent guitar work by Bob, and an amazing harp solo summing things up maybe gives this
version a slight leg up on the one I posted earlier.

June 14 1998
http://www.sendspace.com/file/wlx1et

PostPosted: Mon January 3rd, 2011, 04:35 GMT 

"Girl from the North Country" is, for me, the first truly great song Bob wrote. It's a simple, sweet masterpiece that he has evolved throughout the years into one of his most elegant and flexible pieces. There have been some incredible versions over the years, particularly on the NET.

I have two favorite versions of the song, both utilizing vastly different arrangements, both absolutely beautiful.

The first is this haunting version from St. Paul 10 / 30 / 2002. Coming off a particularly focused and emotional "The Times They Are A-Changin'" dedicated to Senator Paul Wellstone, there's a slight air of doom hanging over Bob's delivery. His vocal is soft and wistful with a palpable tinge of sadness and longing, and the band's playing is excellent. He sings it with the conviction of a dying man reminiscing on his death bed in the dead of winter.

St. Paul 10 / 30 / 2002
http://www.mediafire.com/?rfzct8c83fpcq7q

The next is the often criticized arrangement he started using in the Freddy Koella years, which I've heard described as awkward and never really coming together. I disagree with this particular assessment. I think it's my favorite version the song has been presented in. In contrast to the chilly acoustic version from the Sexton years, this one has a warmth to it that nonetheless still brings out the innate longing and sadness that makes it such an emotionally compelling piece of music. The version I chose is from the legendary Hammersmith Apollo gig from November of 2003, one of many highlights from this particularly epic evening.

Hammersmith Apollo 11 / 24 / 2003
http://www.mediafire.com/?3wp81xs15s7dsy1

PostPosted: Tue January 25th, 2011, 20:36 GMT 
Titanium Member

I love this song. This is my new favorite version.

Link Wray / Girl From The North Country (1964)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AruSPDqpSI

ALL RIGHT !!
:)

PostPosted: Wed January 26th, 2011, 00:04 GMT 
Titanium Member

i'm really glad CSN has picked this up recently, along with "norwegian wood"... two songs joe the plumber can't pick up an acoustic guitar and play

PostPosted: Thu February 17th, 2011, 23:48 GMT 

Just listened to my absolute favourite rendition of this song from Motril, Spain 2004 (from the Bleeding Shadows boot). The voice may not be as focussed as some other performances but that guitar melody is absolutely beautiful and it works so well with the wistful sadness of the song. Go track this version down if you haven't listened to it.

Btw, a bit of a trivial question, but any idea why there seems to be no consensus as to whether it is Girl FROM The North Country or (as I've seen on a lot of boots) Girl OF The North Country. It doesn't matter, it's just slightly strange. :)

PostPosted: Fri February 18th, 2011, 20:26 GMT 

marker wrote:
And for me personally, I have many favorites from the NET, so many lovely, powerful version all throughout the years, but one stands a hair above the rest for me and it's from that golden year of 1998.

Thank you, Marker.

Also, lest we forget, there is a truly TRULY beautiful version of Girl from the North County performed during the "Rundown Studios" sessions, circa '78 or '79.

I love how, as the song starts, he seems to be just gathering the pieces around him. Then finally, the last verse, the snare comes in consistently, the rhythm is a little tighter, and WOW man. THIS PERFORMANCE does it for me. It always leaves me stunned, just stunned.

Stunned, I tells ya!

PostPosted: Sat February 19th, 2011, 23:49 GMT 
Promethium Member

The performance on the Bird's Nest In Your Hair boot (June 1981) is delightful and has a wonderful piano accompaniment. The October 6, 2000 London show is fabulous if you want a grand acoustic rendition with harmonica. These two are easily my favorites... so much so that I have no idea what third is. Its not even in sight.

The October 6, 2000 London has just been posted again. If you don't have it, it is worth it. Not a bad song during that entire Fall tour and this show is incredible as was the night before.

PostPosted: Sun February 20th, 2011, 13:04 GMT 
Titanium Member

Slmartin00 wrote:
I wonder why people pick certain songs and debate whom they're about? Girl from the North Country, Baby Blue, Sad-Eyed Lady ...

I definitely understand wanting to know whom they're about, and having an opinion, but why these particular songs?

do you seriously not know who sad eyed lady is about? what about sara, who do you think that's about? fckn hell

PostPosted: Sun February 20th, 2011, 19:36 GMT 
Promethium Member

Freiburg 2003

PostPosted: Fri June 22nd, 2012, 04:23 GMT 
Titanium Member

I don't think Bob's duet with Johnny Cash could be surpassed...i've been listening to it for
decades, and it still stops me in my tracks... every time. 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26oBcgkkbMw

PostPosted: Fri June 22nd, 2012, 04:42 GMT 
Titanium Member

Really enjoyed the fall 2003 version--the one mentioned from Freiburg probably the best.

But I have to agree that the song was beautifully rendered at the London Earl's Court shows in 1981. The one on the 29th, my favorite, with lovely piano accompaniment.

PostPosted: Fri June 22nd, 2012, 20:32 GMT 

The Fez say Yez to this postcard home to his first love.

PostPosted: Fri September 15th, 2017, 05:42 GMT 

Tamworth, Australia 2001-03-23