Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue July 29th, 2014, 20:52 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed June 13th, 2012, 01:16 GMT 

For headphones, how about Grado SR 60's? About 70 bucks. Very musical 'phones for the budget minded.

PostPosted: Wed June 13th, 2012, 01:21 GMT 
Titanium Member

thank you very much for the suggestion Ain't Talkin'! I will look into those and something like that is much more in the price range that I am able to afford right now.

PostPosted: Wed June 13th, 2012, 01:25 GMT 

Location: ..right behind the living - just in front of the dead.
Bennyboy wrote:
..You really are a prize banana Johanna.
Clearly you never really listen to music.

...Orange ya' gonna add the correlation of that
- to the way some people 'look' at books? .. 8)
.. i'm still not working on not sending my PM to stephenoxford

PostPosted: Wed June 13th, 2012, 02:23 GMT 

Ain't Talkin' wrote:
For headphones, how about Grado SR 60's? About 70 bucks. Very musical 'phones for the budget minded.

Can you recommend any (not too expensive) FLAC players, or whatever they're called?

PostPosted: Wed June 13th, 2012, 03:02 GMT 

What is this beautiful Hard Rain you speak of? I also like PMs very much.

PostPosted: Wed June 13th, 2012, 05:30 GMT 

^
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=70194

PostPosted: Wed June 13th, 2012, 05:50 GMT 
Mercury Member

Giada wrote:
Ain't Talkin' wrote:

Can you recommend any (not too expensive) FLAC players, or whatever they're called?

Without wishing to take Stephen's thread off-piste (but at the same time bumping it):

1) If you're looking to upgrade your portable in-ear phones, go here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-i ... d-06-11-12

2) If you want a flac player app for your CrApple product, go here and punch iTunes in its dictatorial throat:
http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/flac-pla ... 32592?mt=8

You even get a 10 band equaliser with this app, so it looks pretty good and seems highly recommended

3) If like me you FUCKING HATE APPLE or just want a standalone music player with great sound that can play flac files, get either
a) if budget is tight: Sansa Clip or Sansa Fuse
b) if you want the full monty: Cowon J3

Message ends.

PostPosted: Wed June 13th, 2012, 05:51 GMT 

Thank you, Benny. Much appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed June 13th, 2012, 09:46 GMT 
Titanium Member

Any further requests for what I do not have will be ignored.

PostPosted: Wed June 13th, 2012, 11:12 GMT 
Promethium Member

I dropped a vinyl once....

PS: Stephen, you shouldn't kill little beatles. :(

PostPosted: Wed June 13th, 2012, 11:14 GMT 
Titanium Member

Did it break? Benny said you must have been dropped on your head as a baby?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed June 13th, 2012, 11:15 GMT 
Titanium Member

Thank you very much Bennyboy. Right now I am thinking I will probably just buy the flac app but I have one more question for you or anyone willing to answer. If I buy that app for my phone, will I still need a different program on my computer for the flac files? For example, I have been converting all flacs to MP3s in order to play in itunes which I know is less than ideal but I have always used itunes for compatibility with my phone. So the app will make the phone capable of playing flacs but what about itunes? Am I making sense? Probably not. I'm sorry. I didn't grow up in the computer age and it is not second nature to me.

On topic: I can't wait to listen to Slow Train once I get all of this sorted out :D

PostPosted: Wed June 13th, 2012, 11:23 GMT 
Promethium Member

stephenoxford wrote:
Did it break? Benny said you must have been dropped on your head as a baby?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

So that's the one thing Ben and I got in common. :lol: Though he probably got his head under water, and his ears didn't recover properly, thus missing the vast and stunning beauty of the latter day NET. :?

No, it didn't break.... I think I need to take it to the balcony.

PostPosted: Wed June 13th, 2012, 12:57 GMT 
Titanium Member

Nevermind (not that anyone was going to answer anyway :? :wink: ) I just went ahead and bought the app and figured out that (and I should have known this from other apps I have dl'd) they would sync. Now to the task of going back and finding the flac files from everything I have dl'd and converted to mp3s. eeesh

PostPosted: Wed June 13th, 2012, 13:00 GMT 
Mercury Member

raging_glory wrote:
Nevermind (not that anyone was going to answer anyway :? :wink: ) I just went ahead and bought the app and figured out that (and I should have known this from other apps I have dl'd) they would sync. Now to the task of going back and finding the flac files from everything I have dl'd and converted to mp3s. eeesh

Cool - hope it works well for you. Flac on iPhone is better than nowt.

PostPosted: Wed June 13th, 2012, 13:09 GMT 
Promethium Member

raging_glory wrote:
I was trying to get some advice about players and headphones awhile back and wish Ben and others could offer some advice here or in this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69070&p=1176124#p1176124

I just looked at the ones you posted and they are definitely out of my price range at the moment. Anyone have suggestions for less pricey but great sounding options? I wind up converting everything from flac to MP3s because I used itunes. I know that is defeating the purpose of the flac files but I have mostly been using itunes on the computer because it is compatible with my iphone which is my only portable device. Help!!

I think there is a flac app for the i phone.

PostPosted: Wed June 13th, 2012, 13:10 GMT 
Mercury Member

oldmanemu wrote:
raging_glory wrote:
I was trying to get some advice about players and headphones awhile back and wish Ben and others could offer some advice here or in this thread.
http://expectingrain.com/discussions/vi ... 4#p1176124

I just looked at the ones you posted and they are definitely out of my price range at the moment. Anyone have suggestions for less pricey but great sounding options? I wind up converting everything from flac to MP3s because I used itunes. I know that is defeating the purpose of the flac files but I have mostly been using itunes on the computer because it is compatible with my iphone which is my only portable device. Help!!

I think there is a flac app for the i phone.

Bit late there Emu man - already sorted.

PostPosted: Wed June 13th, 2012, 15:12 GMT 

forget about droppings, just adopt vinyl and cut out the digitizer

PostPosted: Wed June 13th, 2012, 15:15 GMT 
Titanium Member

Ah yes, but then you are in the business of diminishing returns; each play physically degenerates the vinyl, each spin sounds worse than the last... With vinyl drops you preserve the pristine nature of the first play for ever..

PostPosted: Wed June 13th, 2012, 15:21 GMT 
Promethium Member

stephenoxford wrote:
each play physically degenerates the vinyl

I read this was a rumor, if you treat them properly.

PostPosted: Wed June 13th, 2012, 15:22 GMT 
Mercury Member

henrypussycat wrote:

And again I am forced to ask: how you gonna listen to your record player when you're not in the same room?

PostPosted: Wed June 13th, 2012, 15:26 GMT 
Titanium Member

Johanna Parker wrote:
stephenoxford wrote:
each play physically degenerates the vinyl

I read this was a rumor, if you treat them properly.

Realize that vinyl is always in a state of flux. It is neither a solid substance nor a liquid substance. This is one reason why they will warp easily from only a 6% lean even without temperature change and can have clicks from the mere drop of a needle.

The groove walls are the most delicate part as you can see if you look at them under extreme magnification. Any damage to the groove walls will create noise when played again. Damage can occur easily for a number of reasons, the most common of which is a bad stylus or a poorly mounted stylus. Either of these will track improperly and damage the groove walls.

Another factor is compliance. The cantilever (the part that holds the needle) needs to be able to float so it will absorb the movement as it goes across the record. An older cartridge might have a needle in good shape but a locked cantilever, in which case it will not adjust itself to irregularities in the surface of the record. This will also cause damage to the groove walls.

Overweight racking will re-groove a record. A great example is early 78 RPM records which were 1/2 an inch thick to be able to be played on the old Victrolas tracking at sometimes as much as a pound. Later 78 RPM records were thinner and if played on the old Victrola would virtually eliminate the music from the groove walls. In the late 30's they sometimes used cactus needles which did not wear the records at all. If you are tracking at more than a gram, you are probably doing damage to your records. Basic physics also apply. If you are tracking at 1 gram, the actual pressure on a record when the needle comes down, however lightly, will cause damage and there will be a click in that spot next time through. If you drop the needle on a track in the middle of a record, it will click there next time. Listen to record that has been played 5 or 6 times. You will likely hear light clicks at the very beginning of the side due to this.

Yes, records need to be cleaned or at least brushed with a some sort of record cleaner before being played. Even a tiny bit of dust hitting a needle can cause minor damage.

Finally, playing a record repeatedly should not wear a record out on its own. I have records I bought in the 50's that still play quietly.

PostPosted: Wed June 13th, 2012, 15:42 GMT 
Mercury Member

Anybody wondering about the depths/heights to which the vinyl hobby can sink/soar is encouraged to check out the forums at this wonderful site:

http://www.vinylengine.com/

There are, for example, whole tracts of server space devoted to discussing how to clean records properly.

Me, I'm more concerned about how to dispose of my Real Live and Under The Red Sky albums without damaging the planet further.

PostPosted: Wed June 13th, 2012, 17:05 GMT 
Titanium Member

Bennyboy wrote:
henrypussycat wrote:

And again I am forced to ask: how you gonna listen to your record player when you're not in the same room?

this is what telecommuting and the job serge in the IT business was designed for....

I will pay you for postage if you send me Under the Red Sky ! it's quite expensive in the States, believe it or not. or better, I can mail you something in return....do you have all the singles in the special mono release (the record store day special?). i may be willing to depart from Rolling Stone/Gates of Eden, because I have the special Times/Rolling Stone single as well...

edit:
^ thanks for that info Stephen !

Last edited by Troubadour64 on Wed June 13th, 2012, 17:16 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed June 13th, 2012, 17:15 GMT 
Promethium Member

It is? I have a spare copy.... want it? Dutch (for Europe) pressing.

Last edited by Johanna Parker on Wed June 13th, 2012, 17:18 GMT, edited 1 time in total.