Highway 61 revisited 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Just like Tom Thumbs blues 12%  12%  [ 10 ]
Desolation row 31%  31%  [ 26 ]
Total votes : 85
PostPosted: Sat June 2nd, 2012, 04:42 GMT 

how'd you come up with that?

PostPosted: Sat June 2nd, 2012, 04:43 GMT 

Desolation Row gets an 8 out of 10.

Needed an editor. Like Bob's own hideway from the asylum, there's some things shall never be contented, or scalded.

PostPosted: Sat June 2nd, 2012, 04:50 GMT 

you sure it doesn't deserve an 8.12345 or a 7.99999?

PostPosted: Sat June 2nd, 2012, 05:05 GMT 

My experience: there are two songs you can play for any music fan unfamiliar with Dylan and they will come around to him through one or the other -- Visions of Johanna or Like a Rolling Stone. They are transcendent songs. Great for any era, any artist. You, as the kind of nutso fans on this site, can get tired of hearing them, but there is an almost objective quality to the greatness and persuasive power of those songs.

As much as I love Buick, It Takes a Lot to Laugh and Tom Thumb, Like A Rolling Stone has to be given its due respect.

PostPosted: Sat June 2nd, 2012, 05:07 GMT 

Queen Jane for The MEZ! MEZ

PostPosted: Sat June 2nd, 2012, 13:57 GMT 

Location: The mystic garden, outside the chelsea hotel, near Montague Street...
ballad

PostPosted: Sat June 2nd, 2012, 14:15 GMT 

MMD wrote:

As much as I love Buick, It Takes a Lot to Laugh and Tom Thumb, Like A Rolling Stone has to be given its due respect.

Well, Rolling Stone magazine did vote it the #1 song of all time. Can't get much more respect then that I'd imagine.

PostPosted: Sat June 2nd, 2012, 14:33 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
From A Buick 6 has never been played during the NET so its out.

It Takes A Lot to Laugh, It Takes A Train to Cry experienced its most glorious height during the Rolling Thunder Revue and has been "okay" during the NET.

The rest of the songs on Highway 61 Revisited have had some interesting and incredibly wonderful performances during the NET. Those performances and arrangements are varied enough that choosing a favorite is difficult, if not impossible... it probably depends on the mood at the moment.

As for the studio release, a lot of people like it but I don't feel the need to listen to it anymore. As it is, there really isn't anything about it that shines for me.

I prefer the NET Takes a Lot to Laugh versions (every one I've ever heard) over that silly Rolling Thunder version. Just about everything on Highway 61 is a giggle. There were probably too many verses in Thin Man and I'll admit Tom Thumb's Blues is a snooze for me. Otherwise the record is ace all the way. I don't play it all the time but when I do the intelligence always amazes me.

PostPosted: Sat June 2nd, 2012, 14:43 GMT 

For me, all of the album versions are the definitive version, except possibly "tombstone blues", of which I prefer the Mtv Unplugged version. I'm guessing i'm probably in the minority on that one.

PostPosted: Sat June 2nd, 2012, 14:46 GMT 

Tim Finnegan wrote:
For me, all of the album versions are the definitive version, except possibly "tombstone blues", of which I prefer the Mtv Unplugged version. I'm guessing i'm probably in the minority on that one.

I'd take the crazy overheated Real Live version over Unplugged. But the original is hard to beat because of that guitar player.

PostPosted: Sat June 2nd, 2012, 15:15 GMT 

Quote:
Let's breakdown HW61 now

Impossible! as he hands you a bone
:wink:

PostPosted: Sat June 2nd, 2012, 15:36 GMT 

Highway 61 is obviously great, but it's actually not one of my favorite albums. I find the songs all rather long, and all kind of sounding the same. If you're in the mood for that kind of one-note mood, it's amazing, but usually I prefer a more diverse range of sounds and types of songs.

Anyway, I voted for 'Like a Rolling Stone'.

PostPosted: Sat June 2nd, 2012, 15:41 GMT 
Mercury Member

henrypussycat wrote:
Tim Finnegan wrote:

I'd take the crazy overheated Real Live version over Unplugged. But the original is hard to beat because of that guitar player.

Agreement with hpc!

PostPosted: Sat June 2nd, 2012, 16:13 GMT 

Like a rolling stone it is - but I recommend the mix on the comp Beyond here lies nothin'

I don't know what they did but finally it blasts all the valves wide open

PostPosted: Sat June 2nd, 2012, 22:31 GMT 

effort wrote:
Like a rolling stone it is - but I recommend the mix on the comp Beyond here lies nothin'

Probably just a bit of equalization. Doubtful they actually remixed that song for yet another by the numbers compilation.

PostPosted: Sat June 2nd, 2012, 22:39 GMT 

panther wrote:
Highway 61 is obviously great, but it's actually not one of my favorite albums. I find the songs all rather long, and all kind of sounding the same. If you're in the mood for that kind of one-note mood, it's amazing, but usually I prefer a more diverse range of sounds and types of songs.

Anyway, I voted for 'Like a Rolling Stone'.

Check out Britney.

PostPosted: Sat June 2nd, 2012, 22:53 GMT 

Ain't Talkin' wrote:
effort wrote:

Probably just a bit of equalization. Doubtful they actually remixed that song for yet another by the numbers compilation.

Could be but, for instance, I want you and One of us must know sound even more different from the 'originals'

PostPosted: Sat June 2nd, 2012, 23:54 GMT 

effort wrote:

Could be but, for instance, I want you and One of us must know sound even more different from the 'originals'

The Blonde On Blonde tracks were remixed for the 2003 remaster project. It's possible they used those. I don't think the stereo Highway 61 ever has been, for whatever reason. All tracks and releases being drawn from the old 1965 mix.

PostPosted: Sun June 3rd, 2012, 08:55 GMT 

effort wrote:

The drumming in "One of Us Must Know" is much lighter and a lot less annoying. 8)

PostPosted: Sun June 3rd, 2012, 16:08 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Ain't Talkin' wrote:
Like A Rolling Stone never wears out, for me. It's #1.

Well, it's kind of in the Freebird / Stairway To Heaven / Won't Get Fooled Again / Smoke On the Water category. Great song that got overplayed to death...we killed it. We are responsible.

Even on classic rock stations, "Like a Rolling Stone" doesn't really play THAT often. I think "Tangled Up in Blue" is probably the most radio-played Dylan song.

Regardless, the answer to the question is "Like a Rolling Stone." Always and forever.

PostPosted: Sun June 3rd, 2012, 20:29 GMT 

Trev wrote:
Look at this! -

Like a Rolling Stone 10 out of 10
Tombstone Blues 9
It takes a lot to laugh, it takes a train to cry 8
From a Buick 6 7
Ballad of a Thin Man 8.5
Queen Jane Approximately 7
Highway 61 Revisited 8
Just like Tom Thumb's Blues 9
Desolation Row 10 out of 10

As we can see, the album has been ordered according to a neat mathematical progression in terms of quality. The songs heading towards the central song descend in quality a point at a time (from 10 out of 10 to 7 out of 10). The central song, Ballad Of A Thin Man, is of exactly average (for this album) quality (8.5 out of 10). The songs heading away from the central song then ascend in quality a point at a time (from 7 out of 10 to 10 out of 10).

I would actually argue that the album has three distinct setpiece songs or peaks--"Like a Rolling Stone," "Ballad of a Thin Man," and "Desolation Row." Everything flows out of and into those songs. If an average person were to hear the album for the first time, I'm guessing they would point out those three songs as the most memorable. They all have very distinct instrumental aspects (the drum snap and organ on LaRS, the pounding dark piano of BoaTM, and the winding McCoy guitar runs on "Desolation Row").

PostPosted: Sun June 3rd, 2012, 20:51 GMT 

TheGunfighter wrote:
effort wrote:

The drumming in "One of Us Must Know" is much lighter and a lot less annoying. 8)

Blasphemy, Kenny Buttrey was Dylan's best, most sympathetic drummer (on his albums anyway.)

PostPosted: Sun June 3rd, 2012, 21:03 GMT 

Ain't Talkin' wrote:

Blasphemy, Kenny Buttrey was Dylan's best, most sympathetic drummer (on his albums anyway.)

If you don't stop talkin' I'll tell Bobby Gregg!

PostPosted: Sun June 3rd, 2012, 21:10 GMT 

effort wrote:
Ain't Talkin' wrote:

If you don't stop talkin' I'll tell Bobby Gregg!

Eh, Bobby Gregg had his moments, but he didn't carry a whole album on his back like Buttrey did John Wesley Harding.

Not to drift too far off topic.

PostPosted: Sun June 3rd, 2012, 21:14 GMT 

Sooner or later one of us must know he carried that one...