Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed November 26th, 2014, 05:14 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat January 9th, 2010, 17:14 GMT 
Promethium Member

How does it function? After a couple of years, I finally decided to give it a try to see what happens. I was hoping that it would filter out all responses by those listed as "Foe"... acknowledging, of course, that some threads would appear disjointed if certain responses did not appear.

Anyway... what does it actually do?

PostPosted: Sat January 9th, 2010, 17:46 GMT 
Site Admin

Well, that is what it does - for now anyway. More features may appear in later forum versions.
This is what appears when reading a topic:

Quote:
This post was made by *** who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.

PostPosted: Sun January 10th, 2010, 00:08 GMT 
Promethium Member

Does it filter all posts or only when the FOE responds to "me", so to speak?

PostPosted: Sun January 10th, 2010, 00:10 GMT 

UP, although as a mod I've never used it (don't get me started) I believe it filters out all posts by your Foe. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun January 10th, 2010, 01:50 GMT 
Site Admin

All posts are filtered. You can easily test this by making someone a Foe (he/she won't know) and then doing a author search. The whole list will be filtered.

Remove him/her from the Foe list and it is all back to normal.

You're not declaring war by using this function; it is simply a way to ignore whatever the person says. And if you discover you're missing vital information in a thread because of it, simply reveal the single post.

Also; It does not affect PMs at all. If there's a specific person you don't want to receive PMs from, you can make a rule in the User Control Panel, which moves or deletes the PMs. I am not sure if that makes it show up as read or not at the sender's end though. Atleast you can choose not to have to see the PMs.

PostPosted: Mon May 28th, 2012, 20:34 GMT 
Titanium Member

It's actually quite a good feature. I've just put three people who I absolutely cannot stand, I would even say hate with an absofuckinglute unbridled passion, on foe. Hopefully, I won't have to read their absolute drivel anymore.

PostPosted: Tue May 29th, 2012, 06:45 GMT 
Promethium Member

I will never use it.

PostPosted: Tue May 29th, 2012, 22:31 GMT 

I once briefly suffered from Dissociative Identity Disorder & put myself on my foe list. I found it very easy to follow the discussions---except, of course, the ones I was participating in.

PostPosted: Tue May 29th, 2012, 23:58 GMT 
Promethium Member

P. Pittsburgh Joe wrote:
I once briefly suffered from Dissociative Identity Disorder & put myself on my foe list. I found it very easy to follow the discussions---except, of course, the ones I was participating in.

That is very good!

PostPosted: Wed May 30th, 2012, 22:07 GMT 
Titanium Member

Untrodden Path wrote:

Only when one disparages the NET :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed May 30th, 2012, 23:15 GMT 
*Senior Contributor*

I have no issue with the 'foe' function, but I am having terrible problems trying to find the fee, fie and fum functions!

PostPosted: Fri June 1st, 2012, 01:28 GMT 
Promethium Member

jimb727 wrote:
Untrodden Path wrote:

Only when one disparages the NET :mrgreen:
I think this would be a tremendous development... and should be applied across the board so that all disparaging comments about the NET automatically drop out. jimb727, you should be a Moderator!

PostPosted: Fri June 1st, 2012, 01:29 GMT 
Promethium Member

thickboy wrote:
I have no issue with the 'foe' function, but I am having terrible problems trying to find the fee, fie and fum functions!

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun June 24th, 2012, 01:41 GMT 
Promethium Member

I think for the foe function to be useful 2 things need to be added to it.
1. If someone puts you on foe you should be notified of the fact.
2. A members profile should show all other members they have on foe functin.

PostPosted: Sun June 24th, 2012, 17:32 GMT 
Titanium Member

oldmanemu wrote:
2. A members profile should show all other members they have on foe functin.

Why?

And why?

Seems to me emu that that would be a potential trouble starter. What possible reason would those two "ideas" be of any help?
I'll be very interested to hear the reasoning.

PostPosted: Sun June 24th, 2012, 23:26 GMT 
Promethium Member

jimb727 wrote:
oldmanemu wrote:
2. A members profile should show all other members they have on foe function.

Why?

And why?

Seems to me emu that that would be a potential trouble starter. What possible reason would those two "ideas" be of any help?
I'll be very interested to hear the reasoning.

Possibly my second idea could be a trouble starter , but I feel at least you should know if someone has put you on foe.
And the second idea would show who was potentially causing trouble on here and it may be time for a discrete message from the mods to them.

PostPosted: Sat June 30th, 2012, 22:17 GMT 
Promethium Member

Rather than being able to see if you have been put on "Foe" how about developing software that sends a shock impulse anytime you post immediately after a person who has you on "Foe"... the impulses would increase in intensity each time a person posts immediately after the person that put them on "Foe"... eventually, the electrical shock would be of lethal proportions. It may cut down on trolls following people around.

And the same software could be used to send electrical impulses to people who say disparaging things about the NET.

This would be a way to "clean up" Expecting Rain.

PostPosted: Sun July 1st, 2012, 03:19 GMT 
Promethium Member

Untrodden Path wrote:
Rather than being able to see if you have been put on "Foe" how about developing software that sends a shock impulse anytime you post immediately after a person who has you on "Foe"... the impulses would increase in intensity each time a person posts immediately after the person that put them on "Foe"... eventually, the electrical shock would be of lethal proportions. It may cut down on trolls following people around.

And the same software could be used to send electrical impulses to people who say disparaging things about the NET.

it would be better if the person wo put you on foe got it rather than the possibly innocent person who has been put on foe , possibly for no real reason

PostPosted: Sun July 1st, 2012, 22:32 GMT 
*Senior Contributor*

Untrodden Path wrote:

I would whole-heartedly agree with this suggestion, Untroddie... but we live in a namby-effing-pamby world where do-gooding, lovey-dovey, liberal type, civil rights activistic so-called folk would jump up and down complaining that by electrocuting bad folk we would be infringing their effing human rights... what a effing crazy world!

I firmly believe that electrocution is a humane and respectful way of dealing with undesirables, so I don't understand the problem!

PostPosted: Mon July 2nd, 2012, 00:16 GMT 
Promethium Member

thickboy wrote:
Untrodden Path wrote:

I would whole-heartedly agree with this suggestion, Untroddie... but we live in a namby-effing-pamby world where do-gooding, lovey-dovey, liberal type, civil rights activistic so-called folk would jump up and down complaining that by electrocuting bad folk we would be infringing their effing human rights... what a effing crazy world!

I firmly believe that electrocution is a humane and respectful way of dealing with undesirables, so I don't understand the problem!

I do not think the problem with foes is that serious.

PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 00:13 GMT 
Promethium Member

Untrodden Path wrote:

thickboy wrote:

oldmanemu wrote:
I do not think the problem with foes is that serious.

With this solution, I believe the problem will dwindle by the day.

A good thing... right?

PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 00:25 GMT 
Promethium Member

It would not be a good thing if we lost good posters .
While we may not like some one , there is no need to get rid of them.

PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 05:28 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:

Didn't the US gov't already do this in the 30's?

Wait, can you hear this? Or have I been Foe'd?

PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 06:58 GMT 
Promethium Member

rlo wrote:
Untrodden Path wrote:

Didn't the US gov't already do this in the 30's?

Wait, can you hear this? Or have I been Foe'd?

not by me . I will never foe anyone !

PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 10:51 GMT 
Promethium Member

I once put everyone on "Foe" but it got pretty lonely and I discovered some of my opinions weren't all that interesting to me either... :?