Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu August 28th, 2014, 13:04 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun May 27th, 2012, 01:30 GMT 

Joined: Thu August 30th, 2007, 22:44 GMT
Posts: 3512
"After I pick you out of the gutter, this is the thanks that I get..." --Wallace Beery to Jean Harlow, Dinner At Eight (1933)

Just came across that while watching this movie; hadn't seen it mentioned before. Don't know if it's also in the play on which the film is based.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 27th, 2012, 01:45 GMT 
Senior Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri March 2nd, 2007, 15:48 GMT
Posts: 3394
Location: beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
The Mighty Monkey Of Mim wrote:
"After I pick you out of the gutter, this is the thanks that I get..." --Wallace Beery to Jean Harlow, Dinner At Eight (1933)

Just came across that while watching this movie; hadn't seen it mentioned before. Don't know if it's also in the play on which the film is based.


Wow! U must have been flabbergasted when you heard that line!
Cool - thanks for sharing - u & Bob! Haha


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 27th, 2012, 05:30 GMT 

Joined: Sun November 21st, 2010, 12:16 GMT
Posts: 1021
Afraid this is further evidence that Dylan`s ability to come up with original thought is long time gone


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 27th, 2012, 06:30 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon August 31st, 2009, 00:16 GMT
Posts: 2016
barney wrote:
Afraid this is further evidence that Dylan`s ability to come up with original thought is long time gone


Ha!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 27th, 2012, 06:47 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat January 1st, 2011, 20:57 GMT
Posts: 2954
Location: in a basement down the stairs
has anyone seen the film Light of Day with Joan Jett and Michael J. Fox? I thought it was interesting that that film shows the process of songwriting, albiet briefly. Fox is watching television and writes a song based off the first line that he hears from the tv. He also can be seen in the film with an Empire Burlesque poster, which is an album that has a ton of movie quotes embedded in it. Certainly, this couldn't have been just a case of chance.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 27th, 2012, 09:37 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue December 14th, 2010, 14:22 GMT
Posts: 27652
Location: off the road
barney wrote:
Afraid this is further evidence that Dylan`s ability to come up with original thought is long time gone


Afraid people didn't have google in 1965.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 27th, 2012, 10:24 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat January 10th, 2009, 11:18 GMT
Posts: 1810
Location: Monts├ęgur
barney wrote:
Afraid this is further evidence that Dylan`s ability to come up with original thought is long time gone


Oh you are naive Sir, that's really grouse
yes your opinion, Barney, just blows
Dylan is not covered with plagiarism stain
Byron did it & Shakespeare, and even Mark Twain
stealing & copying you say, oh you smart
you should call it creation of art!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 27th, 2012, 11:10 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed June 22nd, 2011, 10:06 GMT
Posts: 3521
Location: Athens, Greece
MMD wrote:
barney wrote:
Afraid this is further evidence that Dylan`s ability to come up with original thought is long time gone


Ha!


Ha indeed!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 27th, 2012, 11:36 GMT 

Joined: Sun November 21st, 2010, 12:16 GMT
Posts: 1021
Doesn`t matter what Mark Twain,Shakespeare or Lord Byron did or didn`t do this is Dylan we`re discussing.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 27th, 2012, 11:54 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue December 14th, 2010, 14:22 GMT
Posts: 27652
Location: off the road
Why or how should Bob Dylan be treated differently from anybody else?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 27th, 2012, 11:57 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat January 10th, 2009, 11:18 GMT
Posts: 1810
Location: Monts├ęgur
Art is a process of reshaping things
so innovation out of theft springs
Everything new is waist deep in the water of past
Even the Homer's "Illiad", that appears unsurpassed
is made out of scratches & splinters of ships
that sailed through the ocean of ancient scripts
And as for the Dylan, the master indeed
Robbing and stealing that is his creed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 27th, 2012, 13:30 GMT 

Joined: Sun November 21st, 2010, 12:16 GMT
Posts: 1021
Johanna Parker wrote:
Why or how should Bob Dylan be treated differently from anybody else?


He shouldn`t


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 27th, 2012, 13:44 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue December 14th, 2010, 14:22 GMT
Posts: 27652
Location: off the road
Well then your above quote requires explanation.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 27th, 2012, 19:25 GMT 

Joined: Sun November 21st, 2010, 12:16 GMT
Posts: 1021
Not sure it does JP - we have evidence that Dylan is a plagiarist both in terms of lyrics and melodies. If the other writers mentioned have done the same then they`re guilty also.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 27th, 2012, 19:32 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue December 14th, 2010, 14:22 GMT
Posts: 27652
Location: off the road
barney wrote:
Doesn`t matter what Mark Twain,Shakespeare or Lord Byron did or didn`t do this is Dylan we`re discussing.


It read like you were making a difference there. If not, okay. I still hold the position it's an educational project, and / or a preservation of his sources.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 28th, 2012, 07:53 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon August 31st, 2009, 00:16 GMT
Posts: 2016
barney wrote:
Not sure it does JP - we have evidence that Dylan is a plagiarist both in terms of lyrics and melodies. If the other writers mentioned have done the same then they`re guilty also.


Ha!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 28th, 2012, 11:01 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu January 24th, 2008, 15:14 GMT
Posts: 15430
Location: Where the swift don't win the race
The Mighty Monkey Of Mim wrote:
"After I pick you out of the gutter, this is the thanks that I get..." --Wallace Beery to Jean Harlow, Dinner At Eight (1933)

Just came across that while watching this movie; hadn't seen it mentioned before. Don't know if it's also in the play on which the film is based.
Makes you wonder how the writers knew that someday Dylan would write that lyric so they took it... over 70 years before... kinda eery, huh?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blinddoug, fatman


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group