Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat September 20th, 2014, 13:56 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun April 22nd, 2012, 15:33 GMT 

I was at first loathe to purchase the album after reading mixed reviews. Then, had a chance encounter with Mark Hudson who, like me (lucky, lucky.....) was on a cruise ship. Mark was there as part of a celebration of the Beatles and he jumped on stage to join a Tribute Band (which was very good by the way). Mark himself was phenomenal!

I met him by chance on deck the next day and told him how much I enjoyed his performance. Then I asked him what he thought of Bob. He gave me a look that I took to mean something like "Ehhhhhh? You ask me a question like that. Duuuuh!" Anyway, he turned his answer into: "Have you heard the Amnesty Album?" I admitted that I had not and he said something along the lines of: "Buy it. The money goes to Amnesty. And you get to hear Pete Seeger on Forever Young. By they way, I produced that track and was involved with two others. I recommend the full 4-disc set."

Well, that did it. I bought the album as soon as I got home.

I have now had a chance to listen to the Amnesty Album many times.

It is growing on me.

I admit that I am not crazy about some of the arrangements, but when listening with an open mind to try to understand what the individual artists have tried to do with Bob's work, overall I really like the album.

By the way, Mark plays on LARS (Jeff Beck) and this is one of my favourites.

As for Pete Seeger, he speaks his words with power and grace. The children's choir is beautiful. And if you think of the Bob-Pete relationship over the years, the circle is complete.

PostPosted: Sun April 22nd, 2012, 16:56 GMT 
Promethium Member

I have a personal story about Pete Seeger... I was at the Newport folk festival last year backstage in the press area. Pete and his entourage came into the press area... you know where the photographers hang out. They have a complete separate area for the famous people. Someone in the press area nicely approached Pete Seeger and asked to take a photo with him. He was cocky and his entourage was freaking rude. Stay in the non accessible part of the festival if you're going to be a douche bag in the photographer/press section... sheesh.

PostPosted: Sun April 22nd, 2012, 17:57 GMT 

The trouble I have with that album is that there are too many of the 'standard' Bob songs on it. I understand why this would be the case and that they're not just pandering to the hard core Dylanologists. But I find the song selection fairly boring. In cultural terms, what the world needs is not more versions of 'The Times They Are A-Changin'' but work that brings to public consciousness the multitude of great Dylan songs (e.g., 'Angelina,' 'Foot of Pride' 'Nobody 'cept You,' etc.) that the casual listener has never heard before. Just my two cents.

PostPosted: Sun April 22nd, 2012, 18:02 GMT 

I never like buying CDs that are other artists doing versions of another artist's songs. But this thread has me curious. Maybe I will buy it.

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2012, 10:53 GMT 

Location: where the Mississippi River flows from east to west
40plusdylanyears wrote:
I admit that I am not crazy about some of the arrangements, but when listening with an open mind to try to understand what the individual artists have tried to do with Bob's work, overall I really like the album.

I agree.

And I needed to listen more than one time.

Ignore the reviews and decide for yourself.

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2012, 11:04 GMT 

I really, really hate "tribute" albums. If you're extremely lucky you get one or two songs that you might want to hear again. Some day in the future when you're sick of every single piece of music you have in your collection. If you wanna support Amnesty or whatever, just give them the goddamn money directly.

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2012, 11:40 GMT 
*Senior Contributor*

I love the Amnesty album... and in my considered opinion, it is without doubt the greatest ever 'tribute' album ever... it is nothing short of a masterpiece of its genre... per se... type... avec toot, genre.

There is not one weak track on the release... not a single one, except for a few.

I would be interested to know if the album has been successful in helping to fight injustice and unfairness in the world.

Certainly, where I live, life has been fairly relaxed since the release, with hardly any incidents of police beatings, government brutality, riots, or social injustice... however, I do note that the same cannot be said for other places in this big ol' lump of rock we call home.

Are there any statistics that show the correlation between the release of the Amnesty album in specific countries and the impact on peace in those same communities?

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2012, 13:03 GMT 
Titanium Member

P.Jekk wrote:
I really, really hate "tribute" albums. If you're extremely lucky you get one or two songs that you might want to hear again. Some day in the future when you're sick of every single piece of music you have in your collection. If you wanna support Amnesty or whatever, just give them the goddamn money directly.

if you think of it as a tribute album you are missing the point entirely. these songs are not about 'doing bob songs in a way that do justice' or that he would 'approve' of, or us for that matter. there aren't any hendrix watchtowers on it (or there are maybe, i haven't given it enough spins to decide). Pete Townsends corrina corrina is pretty damn smashing.

the most impressive aspect of the album is the wide range of pop genres his songs can be molded into. and how universal that appeal could be. i'd venture to say that many of these recordings might be my personal favorite out of the artist's entire catalogue. and i bet the lyrics are several steps ahead of what they typically put out in their own material. it's a great opportunity for a musician to shine, and it's a great opportunity to get a small update on what's been going on in the music business outside of dylan's sphere.

secondly, it's a great opportunity to play dylan music for an audience that gets tired of hearing his voice (which would be the majority of the music listening public), or people who wouldn't give him the time of day. those sad souls should get exposed to those powerful lyrics one way or another. now that's a cause on par with the amnesty goals. this will make a lovely gift for my sister when she moves away, or anybody else i know who would never listen to dylan.

thickboy wrote:
I love the Amnesty album... and in my considered opinion, it is without doubt the greatest ever 'tribute' album ever... it is nothing short of a masterpiece of its genre... per se... type... avec toot, genre.

There is not one weak track on the release... not a single one, except for a few.

I would be interested to know if the album has been successful in helping to fight injustice and unfairness in the world.

Certainly, where I live, life has been fairly relaxed since the release, with hardly any incidents of police beatings, government brutality, riots, or social injustice... however, I do note that the same cannot be said for other places in this big ol' lump of rock we call home.

Are there any statistics that show the correlation between the release of the Amnesty album in specific countries and the impact on peace in those same communities?

you took the words right out of my mouth! the baby let me follow you down either proves both your line about there not being a single weak track, or that there might be a few. it depends on my mood when i hear it.

statistics - here's one. i did notice how happy and rejuvenated i felt when i saw large ads for the album displayed on wall sized prints (the kinds they have in new york and the like - at pedestrian eye level) that had the image associated with the album and the words "This album saves lives". It was the most advertising in the public sphere i have ever seen for a dylan related event. they were in my own neighborhood and others. i wish i got a picture but i never did. shortly after the ads came down, there was a violent incident (resulting in a stabbing) not a block away from where those ads were, between a thug and a flower shop clerk. right after valentine's day too! what kind of criminal is drawn to flower shops? after valentine's day?? poor bloke could have used a few listenings to that album i think.

Last edited by Troubadour64 on Mon April 23rd, 2012, 13:20 GMT, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2012, 13:12 GMT 
Titanium Member

Troubadour64 wrote:
P.Jekk wrote:

if you think of it as a tribute album you are missing the point entirely. these songs are not about 'doing bob songs in a way that do justice' or that he would 'approve' of, or us for that matter. there aren't any hendrix watchtowers on it (or there are maybe, i haven't given it enough spins to decide). Pete Townsends corrina corrina is pretty damn smashing.

the most impressive aspect of the album is the wide range of pop genres his songs can be molded into. and how universal that appeal could be. i'd venture to say that many of these recordings might be my personal favorite out of the artist's entire catalogue. and i bet the lyrics are several steps ahead of what they typically put out in their own material. it's a great opportunity for musician to shine, and it's a great opportunity to get a small update on what's been going on in the music business outside of dylan's sphere.

secondly, it's a great opportunity to play dylan music for an audience that gets tired of hearing his voice (which would be the majority of the music listening public), or people who wouldn't give him the time of day. those sad souls should get exposed to those powerful lyrics one way or another. now that's a cause on par with the amnesty goals. this will make a lovely gift for my sister when she moves away, or anybody else i know who would never listen to dylan.

Great points there, Troubadour, and I agree with you on all - but you forgot to mention that the album also has your avatar as a cover! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2012, 13:16 GMT 
Mercury Member

thickboy wrote:

:lol:

I needed that!

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2012, 13:18 GMT 
Titanium Member

doomedtoloveyou wrote:

Great points there, Troubadour, and I agree with you on all - but you forgot to mention that the album also has your avatar as a cover! :lol:

:lol: :lol: i didn't want to blow my case by revealing any biased position i may be standing on! but i guess a picture is worth a thousand words. i really love that image. i can be in love with looking at my own avatar on here, right? not as faux pas as saying, 'I really love looking at myself' in the real world.

also,
I love that of all the songs, which were all previously unreleased, and of all the artists who contributed, dylan's Chimes of Freedom, which has been available for years, received the most individual downloads from itunes. and the placement of it. 75 artists and then dylan swings at bat. i'm glad they placed him last so as not to deflate the value of the others.

and finally i think it's time this has been said: compared to two cover albums that dylan has done: namely Dylan and Christmas in the heart, this collection is at least 62 units of some quantity ahead.

also,
to really appreciate that pete seeger song, the video must be watched (otherwise it falls into the not so good category for me) - was Mark involved in the video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezyd40kJFq0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW4XxX06AmA

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2012, 13:45 GMT 

I love the 4 disc set except for a few songs. I really dont like the Pete seager song and I deleted it.

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2012, 13:46 GMT 
Titanium Member

Milkcow wrote:
I have a personal story about Pete Seeger... I was at the Newport folk festival last year backstage in the press area. Pete and his entourage came into the press area... you know where the photographers hang out. They have a complete separate area for the famous people. Someone in the press area nicely approached Pete Seeger and asked to take a photo with him. He was cocky and his entourage was freaking rude. Stay in the non accessible part of the festival if you're going to be a douche bag in the photographer/press section... sheesh.

yes he's cocky enough to be thrown in Jail for standing up for his right to free speech. somehow your little personal story is a sad attempt to sully the water of a great, great person we have had on our planet for a long long time. so long he probably doesn't even know the difference between the press section and the private celebrity section. keep your 'douche bag' comment in your pocket to throw at someone else. there's plenty of options out there.

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2012, 14:11 GMT 
Titanium Member

also,
Carly Simon's Just Like a Woman has motivated me to try to make a song request everyday forward that i happen to find myself in a piano bar. who knew dylan would make great lounge music!

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2012, 22:25 GMT 
Titanium Member

Troubadour64 wrote:
Milkcow wrote:

yes he's cocky enough to be thrown in Jail for standing up for his right to free speech. somehow your little personal story is a sad attempt to sully the water of a great, great person we have had on our planet for a long long time. so long he probably doesn't even know the difference between the press section and the private celebrity section. keep your 'douche bag' comment in your pocket to throw at someone else. there's plenty of options out there.

:!: :!: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2012, 22:33 GMT 

Lone Pilgrim wrote:
The trouble I have with that album is that there are too many of the 'standard' Bob songs on it. I understand why this would be the case and that they're not just pandering to the hard core Dylanologists. But I find the song selection fairly boring. In cultural terms, what the world needs is not more versions of 'The Times They Are A-Changin'' but work that brings to public consciousness the multitude of great Dylan songs (e.g., 'Angelina,' 'Foot of Pride' 'Nobody 'cept You,' etc.) that the casual listener has never heard before. Just my two cents.

you might like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Behold-Coulson-De ... 657&sr=8-1

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2012, 22:43 GMT 

Troubadour64 wrote:
Milkcow wrote:

What she saw is what she saw - she's not making it up.

Pete Seeger has earned his place in history - no doubt about it. So he may have some rough edges - so what?

PostPosted: Tue April 24th, 2012, 03:58 GMT 
Promethium Member

Troubadour64 wrote:
Milkcow wrote:

oh yes, because you know him personally... hope you meet him one day and he and his entourage treat you as wonderfully as they treated that man. He was a douche bag and so was his entourage... Don't tell me what to do. I have the right to say what I EXPERIENCED. Too bad if it doesn't fulfill your fantasy of him.

PostPosted: Tue April 24th, 2012, 04:00 GMT 
Promethium Member

doomedtoloveyou wrote:
Troubadour64 wrote:

:!: :!: :lol: :lol:

Troubadour, is douche bag appropriate to use here???

PostPosted: Tue April 24th, 2012, 04:04 GMT 
Promethium Member

chrome horse wrote:
Troubadour64 wrote:

What she saw is what she saw - she's not making it up.

Pete Seeger has earned his place in history - no doubt about it. So he may have some rough edges - so what?

Amen! Thanks Horse!!!!

Not only did I see it, but the people around me saw it too. Unfortunately Seeger knew exactly where he was (in the press area) contrary to popular, or should I say Troub's belief. He goes there every year!!!! Not to mention he was also in the famous people area as well. He has his wits about him and knows his surroundings... the guy is not an idiot...he was smug enough to give the gentleman a difficult time...

I will say one thing... my photographer friend I was with did say Seeger really does believe and try to live what he sings... no doubt...

but yes, he and his entourage acted like douche bags... period. The woman in his entourage was even gloating on how obnoxious she was

PostPosted: Tue April 24th, 2012, 04:42 GMT 
Promethium Member

Also, if I were there on my own accord instead of someone's guest... I would have said to all of them, you're in the press area, what do you expect? If you feel your privacy is being compromised go in the private celeb area instead of lashing out at someone acting normal. I really bit my tongue b/c he annoyed me with his attitude. Even walking around in the other non private backstage areas, people complimented him and he ignored every last one of them.

Think of this... Bob hates his pic being taken. Do you really think Bob hung out in the press section of the Folk Festival in 2003 or whatever year it was? or do you think he went into the private celeb section where the press can't go? Do you think Bob was walking around where backstage people could talk to him? NO, he doesn't want to interact so he stays away. Smart. Seeger didn't want to interact either, and acted like a total twit. The he got up on stage and sang his finale... I wanted to puke... however I did see Ramblin Jack up there... so it took my mind off of the db (just for you troub)

having said all that.... I do want to get this cd... the 4 disc set...

PostPosted: Tue April 24th, 2012, 09:30 GMT 

Milkcow wrote:
... hope you meet him one day

I did meet him in 1964, and found him unpretentious and charming. Nevertheless, we can all have a bad day.

PostPosted: Tue April 24th, 2012, 10:04 GMT 

And like the alluringly dressed woman at the bar, no matter where we are or what expectations of interaction others have, we're all free to choose to whom and to what extent we respond. Just because one is not cloistered away, it doesn't obligate one to interact with anyone and everyone who's so inclined. I wasn't there and I wouldn't presume to know/condemn/justify what happened at that particular place and time, but it seems to me an overreaction to label someone a "douche bag" for not wanting to have his photograph taken with people, even if he was among people who desired and expected it. Especially someone of Seeger's age, stature, and reputation.

PostPosted: Tue April 24th, 2012, 12:04 GMT 
Senior Moderator

I don't really think she's objecting to him not wanting his photo taken, but rather the nasty way he and his entourage responded to the photographer in the press tent. There's no need for that, even from Pete Seeger.

PostPosted: Tue April 24th, 2012, 15:42 GMT 
Promethium Member

BostonAreaBobFan wrote:
I don't really think she's objecting to him not wanting his photo taken, but rather the nasty way he and his entourage responded to the photographer in the press tent. There's no need for that, even from Pete Seeger.

Exactly...THIS....I mean it doesn't take a rocket scientist to read what I wrote and understand what I said....although Ms Boston is a rocket scientist for sure...

to the person who met Seeger in 1964... great... you had a nice experience... what I witnessed was certainly not... and it wasn't just for a moment... it was every time I saw him interact with anyone.... not a fan... and he and his entourage acted like dbs...sorry, they did. total turn offs