Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu October 30th, 2014, 16:40 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon April 16th, 2012, 12:49 GMT 

Here we go!

Dylan is back on tour, and it's time for us to get back to it too!

All complains about the 2012 setlists are welcome here.

This is the official thread for complaining about setlists.

PostPosted: Mon April 16th, 2012, 13:03 GMT 
Promethium Member

Pay for your ticket and don't complain!

PostPosted: Mon April 16th, 2012, 19:24 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Johanna Parker wrote:
Pay for your ticket and don't complain!

Absolutely!

PostPosted: Mon April 16th, 2012, 21:15 GMT 

every set list this year has been identical!!

PostPosted: Mon April 16th, 2012, 21:48 GMT 

arabia wrote:
every set list this year has been identical!!

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon April 16th, 2012, 21:50 GMT 
Promethium Member

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon April 16th, 2012, 22:28 GMT 

I like some variety, but I've always recognized that he's not designing his set lists to please a bunch of internet set list geeks like us. So....no complaints. If I don't like the set list, I don't take advantage of the free download. I take my business elsewhere.

PostPosted: Mon April 16th, 2012, 22:59 GMT 
Titanium Member

It's amazing to me how many gather for the nightly set list, taking up page after page after page...when everybody pretty much knows what songs he's going to play. "Wow, sweet set list" or "sweet, he played Desolation" like it's a rarity. Sorry, don't get it.

I understand full well he's not playing for Internet geeks...but it's not like the crowd at the shows are asking for these songs either. And certainly, Bob can play whatever he wants...but you might as well hit the repeat button...as this basic set has gone on for years. I for one, was hoping for some major changes.

This incarnation of Bob has gone on for about 4-5 years now...the riverboat gambler routine...and it's getting old. Time for the next reinvention.

To quote JP...."Just sayin'"

PostPosted: Mon April 16th, 2012, 23:27 GMT 

In honor of Mr. Jones:

Nothing from Christmas In the Heart?

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue April 17th, 2012, 00:40 GMT 

Location: By the waterfront docks, where the sailors all come in
wineman wrote:

This incarnation of Bob has gone on for about 4-5 years now...the riverboat gambler routine...and it's getting old. Time for the next reinvention.

To quote JP...."Just sayin'"

Needs a couple of bosom-y back singers. Or something.

PostPosted: Tue April 17th, 2012, 01:02 GMT 
Titanium Member

I always thought 'sameness' what part of the point. To try to find the extraordinary in the ordinary. Another night, another town, same deal. Just like the sun comes up, the sun goes down, I eat and work and go to bed. The show becomes a nightly ritual. A meditation. A repeated mantra. There are plenty of entertainers, amusers and distractors.

PostPosted: Tue April 17th, 2012, 01:23 GMT 
Titanium Member

John B. Stetson wrote:
I always thought 'sameness' what part of the point. To try to find the extraordinary in the ordinary. Another night, another town, same deal. Just like the sun comes up, the sun goes down, I eat and work and go to bed. The show becomes a nightly ritual. A meditation. A repeated mantra. There are plenty of entertainers, amusers and distractors.

I'm not sure how you came up with that... this isn't a play, where you have to stay true to the material...where there must be sameness. Bob went from one of the more unpredictable musical acts...to tediously predictable. A play has to stay true to the story, where a musician doesn't. And unlike a wonderful play that you've seen 10 times and can still get something new from it....with Bob...you no longer can. The quality simply isn't there. BARK...BARK....BARK...BARK. Go see a bad play and see how much the sameness turns you on. It doesn't.

PostPosted: Tue April 17th, 2012, 01:40 GMT 
Titanium Member

Well, perhaps Bob sees a story. Perhaps, for him, it is a nightly repetition. There can be a kind of salvation in that. Bob always loved the theater--in fact--in Chronicles, called it the world's most perfect art form as I recall. As it engages in timelessness. Perhaps this whole thing is just for him. And we're invited to watch. Or not. Though after all, bark bark bark can become a mantra, can't it? :D

PostPosted: Tue April 17th, 2012, 01:50 GMT 
Titanium Member

Here's what I think John: Bob is playing this role...because he has no choice. He has to deflect the lack of any semblance of vocal abilitly. He needs this disguise to carry on. It's the theatre of the absurd. And not terribly done. I'll admit that.

Last edited by wineman on Tue April 17th, 2012, 01:54 GMT, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue April 17th, 2012, 01:51 GMT 

John B. Stetson wrote:
Well, perhaps Bob sees a story. Perhaps, for him, it is a nightly repetition. There can be a kind of salvation in that. Bob always loved the theater--in fact--in Chronicles, called it the world's most perfect art form as I recall. As it engages in timelessness. Perhaps this whole thing is just for him. And we're invited to watch. Or not. Though after all, bark bark bark can become a mantra, can't it? :D

I think I'm gonna have to reread Chronicles, I don't remember his talking about the theater.

PostPosted: Tue April 17th, 2012, 01:56 GMT 
Titanium Member

wineman wrote:
Here's what I think John: Bob is playing this role...because he has no choice. He has to deflect the lack of any semblance of vocal abilitly. He needs this disguise to carry on. It's the theatre of the absurd. And not terribly done. I'll admit that.

Could be. I do think you're on to something with "he has no choice."

In truth--I have not much enjoyed live Bob past 2005. But I have found it occasionally very interesting. With moments--glimpses--of real sublimity since then. I am open to the idea that it may be me and not Bob.

PostPosted: Tue April 17th, 2012, 01:58 GMT 
Titanium Member

Giada wrote:
John B. Stetson wrote:

I think I'm gonna have to reread Chronicles, I don't remember his talking about the theater.

Yes--I think in the section about New Morning? Though I know he went to the Theater with Suzy quite a lot, and talks about loving Brecht. It's in there somewhere!

PostPosted: Tue April 17th, 2012, 02:00 GMT 
Titanium Member

John B. Stetson wrote:
wineman wrote:

In truth--I have not much enjoyed live Bob past 2005. But I have found it occasionally very interesting. With moments--glimpses--of real sublimity since then. I am open to the idea that it may be me and not Bob.

Well...there are enough "glimpses" that I still attend shows. 8)

PostPosted: Tue April 17th, 2012, 02:01 GMT 
Promethium Member

wineman wrote:

So do you think its possible that the diminution of the yearly setlist is related to his diminished vocal ability?

I think his age has played a factor, perhaps with his memory and ability to play but it doesn't appear to me that he's allowed his lack of vocal range to hold him back from touring.

PostPosted: Tue April 17th, 2012, 02:08 GMT 
Titanium Member

UP...of course his lack of vocal ability hasn't stopped him for touring. Don't need me to answer that. He's obviously still touring. The bizarre character he's created...and he's created many over the past 50 years...is meant to take you away from his ever diminishing ability to actually sing. It's a slight of hand thing. It may be his last creation...though I hope not.

As far as the sameness of his set lists tying into his diminished vocal capabilities. Yes...I think these are songs he's comfortable singing. Sadly, it doesn't mean he's singing them well. Which doesn't mean he doesn't have his moments. Heck...if he was playing Miami tonight...I'm sure I'd be there.

Last edited by wineman on Tue April 17th, 2012, 02:12 GMT, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue April 17th, 2012, 02:09 GMT 
Titanium Member

Untrodden Path wrote:
So do you think its possible that the diminution of the yearly setlist is related to his diminished vocal ability?

I think this is a possibility. That he sings what he's capable of singing.

PostPosted: Tue April 17th, 2012, 02:15 GMT 

John B. Stetson wrote:

Because of the "deal" he made with his muse/the Chief Commander/whoever? or for $$$?

PostPosted: Tue April 17th, 2012, 02:20 GMT 
Titanium Member

It's not money. It's his life. He's an applause junkie. Although I think there's something more noble involved.

PostPosted: Tue April 17th, 2012, 02:23 GMT 
Titanium Member

$$ never occurred to me, Giada. Could be, sure. I've always thought that he was at a point where it was this or oblivion. That touring became his salvation--I am determined to stand whether god will deliver me or not is the mantra of the NET. There is something compulsory about it all. That's not necessarily a bad thing. He talks of destiny...

PostPosted: Tue April 17th, 2012, 02:24 GMT 

I think harmonica albert called it the rare generosity of dying in public.