Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat August 23rd, 2014, 18:01 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon March 26th, 2012, 10:14 GMT 
Mercury Member

AutodesSchreckens wrote:
...Scott Litt...not sure if I would hire him if I wanted to make another "Modern Times".

Please no! One 'Modern Times' is plenty, thank you.

PostPosted: Mon March 26th, 2012, 10:19 GMT 
Mercury Member

More reason to think there will be a new direction this time out.

PostPosted: Mon March 26th, 2012, 10:39 GMT 
Mercury Member

Why? Don't build your hopes up - there is less than zero in the live show since Together Through Life to indicate Dylan has got anything other on his mind than the same old same old.

Those expecting any radical departure from the ModBob template will more than likely be disappointed, I feel.

I'd love to be proven wrong, of course.

PostPosted: Mon March 26th, 2012, 12:37 GMT 

I share the same feeling with Bennyboy. I don't expect anything spectacular in musical terms.

There is though some significant differences between "Love & Theft", "Modern Times" & "Together Through Life". I love them all and listen to a lot, but LT has very good songs & magnificent production. "Modern Times" has so-so songs and good sound. TTL has so-so songs & so-so production. So I guess its time for shifting gears once again and coming up with neat record once again.

PostPosted: Mon March 26th, 2012, 13:04 GMT 

Bennyboy wrote:
Why? Don't build your hopes up - there is less than zero in the live show since Together Through Life to indicate Dylan has got anything other on his mind than the same old same old.

Those expecting any radical departure from the ModBob template will more than likely be disappointed, I feel.

Oh, I don't expect great changes, however, it would be sorta Un-Bob to cling to the same concept for a fourth album in a row. Also, if he wanted to just continue in the same direction, he probably wouldn't have to bring in an outside producer, especially not one with Litt's reputation.

Also, while I agree that the recent live shows offer no indication of change - did you see "Love And Theft" coming after the live shows in the year 2000? I for one didn't.

PostPosted: Mon March 26th, 2012, 13:28 GMT 

AutodesSchreckens wrote:
Oh, I don't expect great changes, however, it would be sorta Un-Bob to cling to the same concept for a fourth album in a row. Also, if he wanted to just continue in the same direction, he probably wouldn't have to bring in an outside producer, especially not one with Litt's reputation.

Also, while I agree that the recent live shows offer no indication of change - did you see "Love And Theft" coming after the live shows in the year 2000? I for one didn't.

I noticed a shift in sound towards the end of the year. Certainly nothing radical, and perhaps it was just the night I caught them, but Dylan and the band seemed much more aggressive. Some regular fans were complaining about the muddy sound in comparison to previous years, but I liked it and argued it wasn't that standards had slipped, but that Dylan wanted a more distorted and less clean sound, it kind of matched his ragged vocals!

That combined with rumours that a legendary alt rock producer has been linked makes me wonder if he's going for more of a hard edged sound. In fact it would be typical Dylan for him to turn the volume up just as everyone is expecting him to slow down.

Obviously there's a lot of guess work here, so I'm looking forward to more news.

PostPosted: Mon March 26th, 2012, 13:48 GMT 
Mercury Member

AutodesSchreckens wrote:
Bennyboy wrote:

Those 2000 shows were beautiful things, with Dylan in fine, fine voice (within his own parameters, of course). 'Love & Theft' was entirely congruent with the sound of those shows, given it was the same band, but with Dylan in much rougher voice and songs clearly nicked from numerous sources. It was hardly a tectonic shift after the backward looking Time Out Of Mind to put out an album of songs working from blues, pop and jazz standards of the past.

I really dont know what planet some of you live on if you think there's been anything radical about Dylan's albums since, well, the early 80s. Calling in Lanois is about as noteworthy as it gets.

If Bob's finally realised he could do with a firmer hand than his own on the production tiller this time round, then good, but I am not in the least bit imagining it will spark a creative refocus or resurgance similar to that which Lanois offered after the twin droughts of the eighties and nineties.

PostPosted: Mon March 26th, 2012, 14:11 GMT 

Young Bill wrote:
I noticed a shift in sound towards the end of the year. Certainly nothing radical, and perhaps it was just the night I caught them, but Dylan and the band seemed much more aggressive. Some regular fans were complaining about the muddy sound in comparison to previous years, but I liked it and argued it wasn't that standards had slipped, but that Dylan wanted a more distorted and less clean sound, it kind of matched his ragged vocals!

That combined with rumours that a legendary alt rock producer has been linked makes me wonder if he's going for more of a hard edged sound. In fact it would be typical Dylan for him to turn the volume up just as everyone is expecting him to slow down.

Obviously there's a lot of guess work here, so I'm looking forward to more news.

Don't think Litt would be first choice for a more aggressive, turned-up sound. The most ragged sounding record he ever worked on was Nirvans "In Utero" and that was recorded/un-produced by Steve Albini and Litt was brought in to smooth out the sound. The records that earned him his legendary status were all very clean, often semi-acoustic records with upfront vocals.

Also, he's known for pitching in with his own arrangement ideas (much like Lanois, I'd imagine), which would only work if Dylan didn't have a precise sound in mind already.

We'll see. This one certainly *looks* more promisining than the last two.

PostPosted: Mon March 26th, 2012, 14:28 GMT 

AutodesSchreckens wrote:
Don't think Litt would be first choice for a more aggressive, turned-up sound. The most ragged sounding record he ever worked on was Nirvans "In Utero" and that was recorded/un-produced by Steve Albini and Litt was brought in to smooth out the sound. The records that earned him his legendary status were all very clean, often semi-acoustic records with upfront vocals.

Also, he's known for pitching in with his own arrangement ideas (much like Lanois, I'd imagine), which would only work if Dylan didn't have a precise sound in mind already.

That's all true, but if Dylan wants a louder sound then I wouldn't expect him to work with a full on alt rock/grunge producer, that would be a bit much. I couldn't imagine Steve Albini getting involved! However, someone who has worked in that scene, but knows how to keep it commercially accesible would make more sense.

I certainly have a good vibe about this one, but at the moment it is all based on the Litt/external producer story which could turn out to be wrong.

PostPosted: Mon March 26th, 2012, 14:34 GMT 
Mercury Member

Speaking of septuagenarians releasing new albums, can you imagine Bob doing this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxAmqxTyxe4

PostPosted: Mon March 26th, 2012, 16:11 GMT 

Bennyboy wrote:
Speaking of septuagenarians releasing new albums, can you imagine Bob doing this?

Hell yeah!

PostPosted: Mon March 26th, 2012, 20:33 GMT 

AutodesSchreckens wrote:
Interesting! As it's been pointed out before, Scott Litt is a world-famous, very rich producer in semi-retirement, so it's unlikely that he'd just be the engineer.

While all his "Rock" production works has been mentioned before, it could be worth mentioning that one of his last jobs was working on the latest Alela Diane record, a decidely folky, yet contemporary sounding album. Not saying Bob is stepping away from his heavy blues based sound, but personally I think Litt's best work was in a semi-acoustic environment, not sure if I would hire him if I wanted to make another "Modern Times".

AutodesSchreckens great points, that Alela Diane Album's SOUND was wild divine as its title warned.

Litt is the anti -T Bone i guess, I had it flipped around. T Bone and Lanois are stoner beauties that learned the beauty of Separation from Naked Rain Litt.

Bob's complexity is perfect timing for both these guys to work together, purity - that's what this age needs.

Glad the cahones have returned to slay.

now let's all mob Sony to not dare drop the mastering ball on this or we will storm the barricades

PostPosted: Mon March 26th, 2012, 21:04 GMT 
Mercury Member

I'm just sittin' here and hopin' for sumpthin' different.

PostPosted: Tue March 27th, 2012, 10:34 GMT 
Mercury Member

Rumours are that Dylan got into a real retro-pimp vibe for the new album, immersing himself in the whorefunk so much it even influenced his choice of wheels - as this shot of him arriving at the studio shows:

upload images

PostPosted: Tue March 27th, 2012, 10:49 GMT 

We need some more info about new album, cause things are getting kind-o freaky out here. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue March 27th, 2012, 13:43 GMT 

Bennyboy wrote:

Speaking as someone who has listened to Dr John for getting on 40 years and seen him many times, no, I can't imagine Bob doing this. He escaped this insidious trap when he baled out of David Bromberg's gentrification plan in the early 1990s.

PostPosted: Tue March 27th, 2012, 14:34 GMT 
Mercury Member

Voice With Restraint wrote:
Bennyboy wrote:

Speaking as someone who has listened to Dr John for getting on 40 years and seen him many times, no, I can't imagine Bob doing this. He escaped this insidious trap when he baled out of David Bromberg's gentrification plan in the early 1990s.

If you're saying what I think you're saying, please stop saying it - you're full of shite.

PostPosted: Tue March 27th, 2012, 15:38 GMT 

troll on banjiboy

PostPosted: Wed March 28th, 2012, 04:00 GMT 

Young Bill wrote:
AutodesSchreckens wrote:

That's all true, but if Dylan wants a louder sound then I wouldn't expect him to work with a full on alt rock/grunge producer, that would be a bit much. I couldn't imagine Steve Albini getting involved! However, someone who has worked in that scene, but knows how to keep it commercially accesible would make more sense.

I certainly have a good vibe about this one, but at the moment it is all based on the Litt/external producer story which could turn out to be wrong.

Have you heard Monster by REM? - a dirty loud album, certainly by REM standards!

PostPosted: Wed March 28th, 2012, 04:09 GMT 
Titanium Member

jman wrote:
troll on banjiboy

but in fact, it may be that we are all trolling benny with our unbridled enthusiasm :idea:

PostPosted: Wed March 28th, 2012, 08:47 GMT 

Bennyboy wrote:
If you're saying what I think you're saying, please stop saying it - you're full of shite.

I'm afraid I don't trade insults. I prefer communication, discussion and fruitful disagreement, none of which seems to hold the slightest interest for you. I shall do what I should have done a long time ago and block your posts.

PostPosted: Wed March 28th, 2012, 10:26 GMT 
Mercury Member

I heard the album will be out just in time for US tour with Knopfler. Perfect. New live arrangements of the new tunes right out of the starting gates.

PostPosted: Wed March 28th, 2012, 11:43 GMT 

I hope you're right

PostPosted: Wed March 28th, 2012, 12:12 GMT 
Mercury Member

Voice With Restraint wrote:
Bennyboy wrote:

I'm afraid I don't trade insults. I prefer communication, discussion and fruitful disagreement, none of which seems to hold the slightest interest for you. I shall do what I should have done a long time ago and block your posts.

Good for you. I hope you enjoy all the dogpoo in the sandpit.

PostPosted: Wed March 28th, 2012, 13:37 GMT 
Mercury Member

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
I heard the album will be out just in time for US tour with Knopfler. Perfect. New live arrangements of the new tunes right out of the starting gates.

Heard from who?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next