Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu July 24th, 2014, 22:58 GMT

All times are UTC

Which side of Oh Mercy is superior?
side 1) Political World/Where Teardrops fall/Everything is Broken/Ring them Bells/Man in the long black coat 54%  54%  [ 19 ]
side 2) Most of the time/What Good am I?/Disease of conceit/What was it you wanted/Shooting Star 46%  46%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 35
PostPosted: Mon March 26th, 2012, 18:42 GMT 
Titanium Member

Oh Mercy - you know what to do.

PostPosted: Mon March 26th, 2012, 18:50 GMT 

That one is tough.

PostPosted: Mon March 26th, 2012, 18:58 GMT 

That is quite easy for me, side 2. First of all, there is "Shooting Star", which is such a sweet song. Then there's "What Good Am I", which I had the pleasure to hear live in concert in Linz 2010 (God, that was so awesome!). Oh, and of course, my favourite track of this album is "Most of the Time".

However, I'd miss "Man in the Long Black Coat" from side 1. Such a haunting song! The intro gives me goosebumps everytime I hear it.

PostPosted: Mon March 26th, 2012, 19:05 GMT 
Titanium Member

lol, when i am in doubt and cannot choose, i think i can safely go on autopilot and just pick what Raylroad does. i want with cohesion on this one. man in a long black coat is so powerful that it is singular. thus, side two flows smoother. a sublime intro with most of the time and a touching closer...

PostPosted: Mon March 26th, 2012, 20:19 GMT 

I always forget how good Oh Mercy is - both sides equally strong in my view. Time to listen to it again!

PostPosted: Mon March 26th, 2012, 20:23 GMT 
Titanium Member

Good plan Stuart, these polls are good for something right? :wink: a nice way to reflect on Dylan's 50 years as a recording artist, and a fine way to kill time before the next tour and album ensues...

PostPosted: Mon March 26th, 2012, 21:24 GMT 

Like most of them, this was hard to choose. Side A has arguably the two best songs, or at least my two favorite in "man in the long black coat" and "ring them bells"..but it also has the two weakest in "political world" and "where teardrops fall"...and "everything is broken" being somewhere in the middle. Side B has three great songs in "most of the time", "shooting star", and "most of the time"..and two somewhat weak ones in "disease of conceit" and "what good am i?", but not as weak as the two on Side A. Tough one but I went with Side B. I'd rather listen to those songs all the way through then the ones on side A. Maybe "weak" was the wrong word for those two on side B, i guess average would be more accurate.

PostPosted: Mon March 26th, 2012, 21:52 GMT 

I find almost all of these polls almost impossibly hard. I went for side B on this one, because I find it so atmospheric. The overall listening experience might be slightly better on side B. That being said, side A has "Ring Them Bells", one of my absolute favourite Dylan songs. It all goes to show that "Oh Mercy!" is a really brilliant album.

PostPosted: Mon March 26th, 2012, 22:23 GMT 

For me it's Side 1 and it's not close. Political World, Everything's Broken, Ring Them Bells and Man In The Long Black Coat are all cool. Shooting Star is my favorite from Side 2, the rest honestly I could take 'em or leave 'em.

PostPosted: Mon March 26th, 2012, 22:35 GMT 

Tough one - toughest so far, but the combo Ring Them Bells and Man in the Long Black Coat wins. Wasn't that tough, really, coming to think of it.

PostPosted: Mon March 26th, 2012, 23:01 GMT 

Side 2...

PostPosted: Tue March 27th, 2012, 19:21 GMT 
Promethium Member

This one depends on the mood I'm in. There have been a couple of times in my life when I played What Was It You Wanted? on repeat for over an hour... and Shooting Star is wonderful.

Yet side one has Ring Them Bells and Man In the Long Black Coat...

Not a clunker on the album and every song has its place... has found ts groove as though its written in the soul. I'd love to hear these dusted off and played again. They certainly deserve it.

PostPosted: Wed March 28th, 2012, 02:12 GMT 
Titanium Member

....so, which did you pick?? curious because i feel exactly the same way. I think What was it you wanted is a favourite of Patti Smith's.

something about ring them bells here takes me out of the album's character...i like it better on greatest hits volume III i think.

PostPosted: Wed March 28th, 2012, 02:59 GMT 
Senior Moderator

I've always loved this album; one of my favorites. It's definately side one for me but I have to admit to being a total sucker for Shooting Star on side 2.

PostPosted: Wed March 28th, 2012, 03:00 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Troubadour64 wrote:
Good plan Stuart, these polls are good for something right? :wink: a nice way to reflect on Dylan's 50 years as a recording artist, and a fine way to kill time before the next tour and album ensues...

Yep, I like these threads, too.

PostPosted: Wed March 28th, 2012, 03:19 GMT 
Titanium Member

BostonAreaBobFan wrote:
I've always loved this album; one of my favorites. It's definately side one for me but I have to admit to being a total sucker for Shooting Star on side 2.

a nice feature i picked up on the last listen is that the album ends on a harmonica fade...perfect exit after a perfect entrance.

PostPosted: Wed March 28th, 2012, 06:45 GMT 

first one of these i did. i don't want to do another one. too hard.

PostPosted: Wed March 28th, 2012, 06:50 GMT 
Titanium Member

:lol:

don't worry there are several others that are more clear and soothing.

check out: any other of the eighties albums, another side, basement tapes, modern times, dylan, and PG&BTK for starters.

in psychology, this is called the forced choice scenario.

PostPosted: Wed March 28th, 2012, 14:28 GMT 

"Ring them Bells" is the only song that strikes me on the first side. The second side has a couple ringers ("Most of the Time", "What was it You Wanted") on it which makes it twice as nice. I think it's a relatively dull record. I'll give Dylan credit for taking care with the lyrics and for beating his writer's block.

I'll admit that Dylan brought life to a couple other songs playing them live: "What Good am I" is an entirely different song live and so is "Long Black Coat."