Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat September 20th, 2014, 22:00 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Two SIsters
PostPosted: Tue March 13th, 2012, 20:22 GMT 

I'm sorry if this has been spotted before, but the painting Dylan calls Two Sisters really looks like an illustration to the song of the same name.
Dylan played the Clannad version of it on his TTRH Family show, which I re-heard on Dylan radio recently.
That is the eldest sister looking grim in the background, and the lovestruck younger sister sporting the gold ring in the foreground. :)

There were two sisters side by side,
sing aye dum, sing aye day.
the boys are born for me.
the eldest for young Johnny cried.
I'll be true all to my love,
if he'll be true to me.

Johnny bought the youngest a gay gold ring,
sing aye dum, sing aye day.
the boys are born for me.
he never bought the eldest a single thing.
I'll be true all to my love,
if he'll be true to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rheAm_ScHOM

Or Maybe Dylan started out with the (brilliant) Tom Waits' version. But Waits skips the 'gold ring' verse, and the sister only gets the 'beaver hat'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIipw5JO ... re=related

Post subject: Re: Two SIsters
PostPosted: Wed March 14th, 2012, 08:38 GMT 
*Senior Contributor*

Has anyone else noticed that the lady laying on her tummy appears not to be wearing clothes down below?

PostPosted: Wed March 14th, 2012, 09:41 GMT 

thickboy wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that the lady laying on her tummy appears not to be wearing clothes down below?
Only now that you mention it, of course. She also appears to be wearing a bondage bra, and far from looking grim seems to be leaning in towards her arching, blissed-out, coquettish chum with a little more than sibling interest. Maybe the Sisters should have been in parenthesis. They also appear to be outside, high up, with other buildings in the background. I'm wondering if they were both working at KFC, and sunbathing on the roof during their lunch break. Even if they worked at McDonald's it's obviously still a fine work of art by Bob.

PostPosted: Wed March 14th, 2012, 10:35 GMT 
*Senior Contributor*

Yes, it's certainly a very evocatively erotic work... however, I do think that the wanton lady who is wearing clothes has some serious style and colour coordination issues!

When you squint your eyes while looking at the picture the alluring ladies look like Drew Barrymore and Uma Thurman.

PostPosted: Wed March 14th, 2012, 11:21 GMT 

thickboy wrote:
Yes, it's certainly a very evocatively erotic work... however, I do think that the wanton lady who is wearing clothes has some serious style and colour coordination issues! When you squint your eyes while looking at the picture the alluring ladies look like Drew Barrymore and Uma Thurman.
Perhaps the other lady is about to offer the wanton lady a makeover. I have tried squinting, but all I'm coming up with at the moment is Fern Britton and Esther Rantzen! Still, at least it's not Ann Widecombe and Donatella Versace.

PostPosted: Wed March 14th, 2012, 15:31 GMT 
*Senior Contributor*

Train-I-Ride wrote:
Perhaps the other lady is about to offer the wanton lady a makeover. I have tried squinting, but all I'm coming up with at the moment is Fern Britton and Esther Rantzen!

Yes, there is a resemblance to foxy Fern and erotical Esther, but that is because you are not squinting hard enough... you need to stand up and from about twenty foot away try squinting again... but really focus on your squinting technique... you need to squint so hard that your eyes virtually close.

PostPosted: Wed March 14th, 2012, 16:29 GMT 

thickboy wrote:
Train-I-Ride wrote:
Perhaps the other lady is about to offer the wanton lady a makeover. I have tried squinting, but all I'm coming up with at the moment is Fern Britton and Esther Rantzen!

Yes, there is a resemblance to foxy Fern and erotical Esther, but that is because you are not squinting hard enough... you need to stand up and from about twenty foot away try squinting again... but really focus on your squinting technique... you need to squint so hard that your eyes virtually close.

I've been practicising to the point where I feel I could easily outsquint Clint Eastwood in A Fistful of Dollars, and have walked to the bottom of my road to see what I could come up with- which unfortunately, right now, would appear to be Patricia Routledge and Kathy Bates. As I walked home they started morphing into Hulk Hogan and the late Princess Margaret, so I gave up. Clearly, I'm not cut out for this kind of work. Maybe I should just google some Drew and Uma pics, instead? :?

PostPosted: Wed March 14th, 2012, 20:56 GMT 

If I'm feeling generous, they're Jennifer and Joanna from AbFab.
If not, they're Maggie T. and Patsy Byrne (nursie to Q. Elizabeth in Blackadder II).

PostPosted: Wed March 14th, 2012, 21:37 GMT 
Titanium Member

I could never compete with Thickboy in assessing the erotical allure of any female image, but I do feel that the painting's topsy-turvey anti-gravity perspective contributes to the dizzying effect of two reclining females, one with her bum to the open air. The woman in the foreground appears to be lying back upon the earth, while the one in the background is either plummeting/floating toward her just at the point of impact, with her left leg in an impossible arabesque, while the cityscape in the background appears to be less elevated and severely curving toward the right as if seen in a dream or fisheye lens. There's no center of gravity, except perhaps those exposed glutes which will draw any eye into their orbit. Perhaps the woman in the foreground is dreaming everything else in the painting.

PostPosted: Wed March 14th, 2012, 21:44 GMT 

Could it be that the lady in the background is inflating the lady in the foreground, and intends to take her for a paddle?

PostPosted: Wed March 14th, 2012, 23:13 GMT 
Titanium Member

Quite possible, but she may be sucking the venom from a snakebite on the woman's forearm which may be painfully contracted rather than inflating. Is she smiling or grimacing? Waving or drowning?