Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri October 31st, 2014, 23:40 GMT

All times are UTC

which side of John Wesley Harding is better?
this side: JWH/As I Went.../St. Augustine/Watchtower/Frankie & Judas Priest/Drifter's Escape 75%  75%  [ 41 ]
the other side: Dear Landlord/Lonesome Hobo/Poor Immigrant/Wicked messenger/Down along the cove/Baby Tonight 25%  25%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 55
PostPosted: Mon March 12th, 2012, 16:57 GMT 
Titanium Member

this Poll: JOHN WESLEY HARDING

I've recently grown to appreciate the difference in attending to one side of a record, versus popping in a long CD that i pass in and out of attention with. and many dylan albums seem to be structured around these segments. so, i'm starting a poll series about preferred sides on vinyl. i'm not really centering on the value of any one song over the other, but rather how each side flows and stands coherently.

PostPosted: Mon March 12th, 2012, 17:02 GMT 
Titanium Member

I went with side one. Not a weak track to be found.

PostPosted: Mon March 12th, 2012, 17:21 GMT 

I have been staring at these polls for a while now and I have no idea.. thank you for these polls though, I have quite enjoyed considering it.. maybe in the night time, after a few glass of wine I will be compelled to press the button, one way or the other.

PostPosted: Mon March 12th, 2012, 17:26 GMT 
Titanium Member

think it through, moth, i know you will. i had to have a concentrated listen for each. when the impulses of your brain, your soul and your heart have all equalized, you may click the button. the wine will help, most definitely.

plus, i accidentally didn't click the 'allow re-voting' on the first two polls, so pick carefully on those.

i've neutralized I'll be your baby tonight with John wesley harding and Watchtower with Landlord. it's really going to be up to the rest of the contenders. i'm having a most difficult time with this one.

okay, a confirmatory listen to side B has cinched it. i may have more personal fav's on side A, but man. Dear landlord and Pity the Immigrant and three great rockers. the pretty ballads on side A watered it down a bit with all the simple scale climbing in the vocal melodies. but it sets up side B divinely.

just a masterpiece of work, both sides together. i wouldn't be surprised if we have a 50/50 split here.

Last edited by Troubadour64 on Mon March 12th, 2012, 17:51 GMT, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon March 12th, 2012, 17:42 GMT 
Promethium Member

Totally unfair question. Out of the realm of reality to expect only one answer here.

PostPosted: Mon March 12th, 2012, 17:44 GMT 

Goodness me, this one is tough. You automatically want to choose Side A, but Side B offers such a journey musically.

This one's so unfair that I'm going to temporarily deem it illegal and suggest this poll be restricted and given a 24 hour security team in order to prohibit any poor bastard from having to make this kind of decision.

PostPosted: Mon March 12th, 2012, 17:48 GMT 
Titanium Member

^indeed, gents, you speak true words. these are dangerous and difficult times.

i already feel guilty for picking side B and turning my back on those unsurpassable lyrics from side A.

PostPosted: Mon March 12th, 2012, 19:49 GMT 

Troubadour64 wrote:
those unsurpassable lyrics from side A.

Yep. This one wasn't as hard for me. The spell that builds as you go through St.A>WT>Frankie... Can't beat that.

PostPosted: Tue March 13th, 2012, 18:44 GMT 
Titanium Member

this one is certainly the most difficult so far. moth, we are you? passed out in a puddle of wine? side 2 needs your help. not that i'm trying to influence you or anything. in fact i may be using reverse psychology. you will have to act to find out. in psychology we call this forced choice scenario.

PostPosted: Tue March 13th, 2012, 23:43 GMT 

This was an easy one for me: side 1.

In my opinion side 1 of John Wesley Harding is one of the strongest sides Dylan has ever recorded. There is not a single song on this side which I would regard as weak or mediocre.

For some strange reason I hardly ever listen to side 2 though ... it is not that I regard the songs on side 2 as bad or something, I just never feel like listening to them. I do not know why that is, but that is just the way it is...

PostPosted: Wed March 14th, 2012, 00:03 GMT 
Titanium Member

but did you listen before you voted? because i was feeling similarly, going into this one. (but i wouldn't say i never feel like them, so i probably do like them more than you). but man does it flow well.

PostPosted: Wed March 14th, 2012, 00:24 GMT 

Location: ..right behind the living - just in front of the dead.
XRaylroad wrote:

In my opinion side 1 of John Wesley Harding is one of the strongest sides
Dylan has ever recorded. There is not a single song on this side which I would
regard as weak or mediocre.

For some strange reason I hardly ever listen to side 2 though ... it is not that
I regard the songs on side 2 as bad or something, I just never feel like listening
to them. I do not know why that is, but that is just the way it is...

:shock: .. i have been thinking about this (then i see it's a series! Nice job Troubadour.)
- and i'm reading along w/ XRaylroad (once you type that name -it's even cooler)
BUT! .. that ain't gonna stop me from saying HOW COULD YOU PLAY ONLY HALF
- of John Wes :shock: .. it's one thing - and it's a HARD THING, i know -because
.. i thought i was joining up with Troubadour on that 'i'm gonna take some STANDS!'
(loose paraphrase) on some issues - Bob Dylan Music to be exact. .. JWH - My favorite! .. 8)
..So here i come - ready to make it bold with my choice - which happens to agree
with yours ... 8) .......... :shock: .... then i see that this is somehow encouraging
cutting this album in half? ... i cannot be part of that BLASPHEMOUS SACRILEGE.
.. there ought to be a rule - you can't start splitting up Bobalbums in the LISTENING
- just ... the COMPARING.... sheesh - what is this world coming to? ... :wink: .

PostPosted: Wed March 14th, 2012, 00:43 GMT 
Titanium Member

ah, perhaps at first glance Grumpy, and I completely respect your concerns. and seeing some of the difficulties presented in the other polls, (it's only getting more difficult), i understand how hard it must be to both vote and post. i do encourage all voters to know the silent ballot is perfectly understandable..

but, i don't think it promotes listening to one side over the other, but rather listening to one side, then the other, then the other again. and then perhaps the first one again. and a third little scan to double check. i came upon my feeling by accidently starting with side 2 first, and said, 'well never did this before, let's see what happens.'

this one is a dangerous thread.

\\\|

i had a feeling i'd know where you'd land when you came around Giada. well done, well played. i am jealous of the degree of wisdom you show at such an early age. if i had that skill set, i'd really be somewhere in life now, i really would.

now, i need your help on the basement tapes poll (i think it's vol 2.) whomever was voting yesterday got it all wrong. it needs to be fixed.

Last edited by Troubadour64 on Wed March 14th, 2012, 01:06 GMT, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed March 14th, 2012, 00:44 GMT 

I love the whole thing, but side 2 has Dear Landlord, possibly Dylan's greatest song.

Last edited by Giada on Wed March 14th, 2012, 00:59 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed March 14th, 2012, 00:53 GMT 

Location: ..right behind the living - just in front of the dead.
Troubadour64 wrote:
..this one is a dangerous thread.

..now we're talkin' .. :D
- i'll be back. .. :arrow:
- and i'm lookin' forward
to disciplining myself with
your other ... Vinyl Splits Tests .. 8)
.. not tryin' to coin new names for you, ok?
- just Organizin' My thunk.
:idea:

PostPosted: Wed March 14th, 2012, 00:55 GMT 
Titanium Member

as long as it's not an acronym, you can do anything you'd like with them :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed March 14th, 2012, 09:06 GMT 

Must be this side. Simply because Cove and Baby Tonight (good songs, no question) break the mood of the record.

PostPosted: Wed March 14th, 2012, 11:33 GMT 

Grumpy-the-Buick wrote:
XRaylroad wrote:

In my opinion side 1 of John Wesley Harding is one of the strongest sides Dylan has ever recorded. There is not a single song on this side which I would regard as weak or mediocre.

For some strange reason I hardly ever listen to side 2 though ... it is not that I regard the songs on side 2 as bad or something, I just never feel like listening to them. I do not know why that is, but that is just the way it is...

:shock: .. i have been thinking about this (then i see it's a series! Nice job Troubadour.)
- and i'm reading along w/ XRaylroad (once you type that name -it's even cooler)
BUT! .. that ain't gonna stop me from saying HOW COULD YOU PLAY ONLY HALF
- of John Wes :shock: .. it's one thing - and it's a HARD THING, i know -because
.. i thought i was joining up with Troubadour on that 'i'm gonna take some STANDS!'
(loose paraphrase) on some issues - Bob Dylan Music to be exact. .. JWH - My favorite! ..
..So here i come - ready to make it bold with my choice - which happens to agree
with yours ... 8) .......... :shock: .... then i see that this is somehow encouraging
cutting this album in half? ... i cannot be part of that BLASPHEMOUS SACRILEGE.
.. there ought to be a rule - you can't start splitting up Bobalbums in the LISTENING
- just ... the COMPARING.... sheesh - what is this world coming to? ... :wink: .

Sorry for my blasphemy, Grumpy. :wink: I can't really explain it. This album, it is so exciting at the beginning... songs about outlaws and saints, revolutionaries and damsels in distress, drifters... but halfway through the album I just get bored with it. The second half just does not do anything for me. The songs are nicely sung and all, but I cannot relate to the content. Landlords, immigrants, hobos... it is like an exciting adventure story suddenly turns into a lifeless feature story of the Financial Times.

PostPosted: Thu March 15th, 2012, 18:43 GMT 

Side 1 is the easy choice for me here. The whole album has a solid feel to it, but I agree the only song from Side 2 that I consider to be quite on the level of the others is "I Pity the Poor Immigrant", but Side 1 is where the real magic is here. It's perfect

PostPosted: Mon March 19th, 2012, 19:30 GMT 

At first i thought this was an easy choice because of AATW...and that is
the side i am going with ....
... Side 1....because of ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER

plus JWH, St. Augustine, Frankie Lee and Judas Priest...
....a perfect side ! 8)

BUT, i would miss Dear Landlord, Lonesome Hobo, Poor Immigrant,
Wicked Messenger....etc. :(
so this choice was hard....
...but i could never pick the side without Watchtower!

Last edited by Queen Anne Lace on Mon March 19th, 2012, 19:40 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon March 19th, 2012, 19:34 GMT 

Queen Anne Lace wrote:
This was an easy one for me.... Side 1.... ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER !

For me that's the 4th best song on the 1st side. Behind As I Went Out One Morning, I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine and Frankie Lee and Judas Priest.

PostPosted: Mon March 19th, 2012, 19:47 GMT 

^ rolling thunder, i see you quoted me before i realized that this wasn't such an
easy decision after all... :lol: Well, at least i didn't change which side i voted for!

- I love all the songs that you mentioned, but IMO, Watchtower one of Bob's masterpieces.

- I rate Watchtower as one of Bob's top two songs.

- Here...maybe you should listen to this again and see if you change your mind
about giving AATW a rating of fourth on side one. :wink: 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df4rtss0GNM&feature=fvst

PostPosted: Mon March 19th, 2012, 20:30 GMT 
Mercury Member

SIde one, because the last 2 tracks of side 2 are a fade in to the next album...

PostPosted: Mon March 19th, 2012, 20:32 GMT 

I'll do ya one better. I'll give the whole album a spin here in a few hours.

PostPosted: Mon March 19th, 2012, 22:51 GMT 

JWH just finished a few minutes ago. I still stand by what I said earlier. Also 'I Pity the Poor Immigrant' and 'Wicked Messenger' are kick ass tunes as well