Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu October 23rd, 2014, 03:47 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri March 9th, 2012, 01:05 GMT 

First..

Isnt there too much audio material for a life time? ive got like 500gb.. and i know i could have more than the double of that.. im starting to think i am downloading more than i can listen.. but that doesnt keep me from downloading anyway lol..

another question.. maybe you'll be surprised by my ignorance.. but.. what are the crystal cat releases? is he/she/they a tapper/s?

i saw that there are crystal cat relases for bruce springsteen, and maybe other artists to..

im trying to download the things i dont have.. i downloaded everything i didnt had from NTM mediafire archives (i dont know if any of them are crystal cat..)
Now im gonna view the A-Z threads..
The things that are posted in the rare recordings forum, are suppoused to be too in the A-Z thread, aren't they? of course not the newest threads.. but the older ones?

or i should search in the A-Z thread and the forum too?

This is driving me mad.. there are the other webs too, like dylannl.. and the list of bob boots.. and videos, and interviews.. and pictures.. there is many things to get my hands on.. and maybe for a sick reason i want it all..

this bob guy is really stealing my time..

Last edited by BostonAreaBobFan on Fri March 9th, 2012, 02:29 GMT, edited 1 time in total.
More descriptive thread title

Post subject: Re: Some questions
PostPosted: Fri March 9th, 2012, 01:14 GMT 
Mercury Member

Oh, Miguel. I know exactly where you are coming from, I think. Trying to catch up on a 50 year career in just six months is a monumental task, but I am giving it my best shot!

My biggest issue, is I am OCD about duplicates and having everything organized and labeled correctly, so I am trying to show some restraint and download slower than my cravings! I can't get enough and want everything. It's like I feel like it is all going to be swept away if I don't grab it when I see it, but I am trying to go for the very obvious things first. The sixties material, Rolling Thunder, unreleased outtakes, etc. Then there are all the TV performances, etc.....it's like a bottomless well.

It's an amazingly wonderful problem, ain't it?? :lol:

Cyrstal Cat? No idea. I may not want to know :?

Post subject: Re: Some questions
PostPosted: Fri March 9th, 2012, 01:19 GMT 
Promethium Member

Bob has been active in the business for 50 years now, so it took him that long to live and produce what is there so far. Of course, you can listen to five concerts a day, but you will probably not appreciate special gems and nuances in this way. This site is good to get an overview, it lists all concerts, sessions, etc, and also notes if something is known to exist, but hasn't been circulated. :arrow: http://www.bjorner.com/bob.htm You can journey through your whole life with Bob's music, there's so much to discover, and you are young and in no hurry. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri March 9th, 2012, 03:11 GMT 

i know that.. it takes time and pacience.. im trying.. but is difficult to even have a download plan lol.. and i, like raging glory, have a little OCD with this to..

with bjorner you just got me more "affraid" lol..

i just need to know how to stop freddy from singing in my head:
"i want it all, i want it all, i want it all, and i want it now!"

PostPosted: Fri March 9th, 2012, 03:34 GMT 

If you can, track down (find) a few of the complete Rolling Thunder shows from 1975-76. There are recordings of some of those concerts that include all of the other acts in addition to Dylan's segments. It was a very unique show played by a lot of talented musicians. I also like the Basement Tapes era and the '74 tour a lot. Very vintage Dylan.

PostPosted: Fri March 9th, 2012, 04:00 GMT 
Mercury Member

Location: I was looking for a job and then I found a job and...
If you're into the challenge of collecting, look to do complete tours or even years. If not, I suggest you actually listen to what you download and let what you like be your guide to what to get next.

PostPosted: Fri March 9th, 2012, 04:26 GMT 
Titanium Member

My advice: Keep it simple and go slow and get about half or two thirds of the offical albums including all the good ones and put those on your computer and music player and actually listen to those and don't worry all the other stuff. If after listenig to those albums for a while you feel compelled to get a few more then get a few more. You might also get some other artists besides Bob Dylan. Don't feel like you need to get only Bob Dylan and don't feel like you need to get all of it. Smile and relax and and keep your cool and keep your perspective. Take two aspirin and call me in the morning.

PostPosted: Fri March 9th, 2012, 05:26 GMT 

Miguel wrote:
. what are the crystal cat releases? is he/she/they a tapper/s?
i saw that there are crystal cat relases for bruce springsteen, and maybe other artists to..

Crystal Cat is a boot manufacturer. They do occasionally have their own taper but usually (allegedly) take the best available recording and remaster it to their taste.
They've put out some excellent stuff over the years.
I believe nellie has recently posted most/all of the Bob CC's.

PostPosted: Fri March 9th, 2012, 10:12 GMT 

Yours, my friend, is a problem that we have all faced. I have every official album, about 700 cds of bootlegs and now a HUGE volume of stuff on my hard drive, backed up twice on EHDs, too big to want to count. Much is duplicated ...... I began to experience your feelings in the 90s, when we were swapping cds in a very inspiring and generous way ..... I swim in duplicates, but I am now guided by what I read here on ER. First of all, there is the list, to be found on Rare Recordings of the 75 cds voted the best by us all. That, of course, is only an opinion, but it IS the best place to start. Not all the suggestions are immediately available, but that takes you to Requests. There are also the two sites dealing with bootlegs (Bob's Boots & Monica's Dude). These are a bit out of date for those who download, but can be helpful to unlock confusions (as well as the great source that is Olaf, previously mentioned). As others have said, I'd go with my ears - Bennyboy only listens to pre-76, but others amongst us have got better hearing. Get the periods that you like, and begin to work outwards. You will be amazed how, after a while you begin to discover that 1999/2001 is (for example) an amazing period, When I am at live shows I like what I hear; if I am not it takes time for me to grow used to and appreciate what Bob does.Remember also that there are some things that are NOT good, but you will find you want because they are historically important. There will be never-ending mysteries and marvels to unravel but, rest-assured, it will all be here after Bob's gone, and after all of us too ........ have fun!!

PostPosted: Fri March 9th, 2012, 10:49 GMT 
Titanium Member

Go slowly and take as samplers the BestBoots recommendations from bobsboots.

PostPosted: Fri March 9th, 2012, 12:52 GMT 
Promethium Member

Miguel wrote:
i know that.. it takes time and pacience.. im trying.. but is difficult to even have a download plan lol.. and i, like raging glory, have a little OCD with this to..

with bjorner you just got me more "affraid" lol..

I linked the bjorner site so you would get an overview of what is there. If you really want to follow a plan, the simplest thing would be to go chronologically, starting with the John Bucklen tape and work your way forward until you arrive at the present.

I agree with what others have said though, listen to different eras and let yourself be guided by what you find most enjoyable.

PostPosted: Fri March 9th, 2012, 17:03 GMT 
Mercury Member

I have all circulating material about Bobby, Miguel, it's was a hard job, 12 years on front of my pc, many hours at day.

Good Luck

PD. Excuse me again my very poor english

Jesús

PostPosted: Fri March 9th, 2012, 17:11 GMT 
Mercury Member

Location: I was looking for a job and then I found a job and...
here's that Top 75 list in thealley mentioned. It was posted in 2007, so it's a little out of date:

The Top 75 Dylan Concerts: Final Results

For a more complete account of the process, go to
http://74.52.77.196/~karl3rik/discussio ... hp?t=21208

The Final List: The Top 75 Dylan Concerts
November 4, 1961 – Carnegie Chapter Hall, New York, NY
July 2, 1962 – Finjan Club, Montreal, Quebec
October, 1962 – Gaslight Café, New York, NY
April 12, 1963 – Town Hall, New York, NY
October 26, 1963 – Carnegie Hall, New York, NY
May 7, 1965 – Free Trade Hall, Manchester, England
July 25, 1965 – Newport Folk Festival, Newport, RI
September 3, 1965 – Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles, CA
December 4, 1965 – Berkeley Community Theater, Berkeley, CA
April 12, 1966 – Sydney Stadium, Sydney, Australia
May 16, 1966 – Gaumont Theatre, Sheffield, England
May 17, 1966 – Free Trade Hall, Manchester, England
January 20, 1968 – Woody Guthrie Memorial Concert, New York, NY
August 31, 1969 – Isle of Wight, England
February 14, 1974 (afternoon) – The Forum, Los Angeles, CA
October 31, 1975 – War Memorial Auditorium, Plymouth, MA
November 11, 1975 – Palace Theater, Waterbury, CT
November 21, 1975 (evening) – Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA
December 1, 1975 – Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto, Ontario
December 8, 1975 – Madison Square Garden, New York, NY
May 3,1976 - The Warehouse New Orleans, Louisiana
May 16, 1976 – Tarrant County Convention Center Arena, Fort Worth, TX
May 23, 1976 – Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO
July 6, 1978 – Pavillon de Paris, Paris, France
December 10, 1978 – Charlotte Coliseum, Charlotte, NC
November 16, 1979 – Fox Warfield Theater, San Francisco, CA
April 20, 1980 – Massey Hall, Toronto, CA
November 15, 1980 – Fox Warfield Theater, San Francisco, CA
June 29, 1981 – Earls Court, London, England
July 25, 1981 – Palace des Sports, Avignon, France
November 10, 1981 – Saenger Performing Arts Center, New Orleans, LA
November 12, 1981 – The Summit, Houston, TX
June 28, 1984 – Minestadio, Barcelona, Spain
February 24, 1986 – Entertainment Centre, Sydney, Australia
September 12, 1987 – Autodroma, Modena, Italy
June 10, 1988 – The Greek Theater, Berkeley, CA
June 30, 1988 – Jones Beach Music Theater, Wantaugh, PA
October 19, 1988 – Radio City Music Hall, New York, NY
February 8, 1990 – Hammersmith Odeon, London, England
May 9, 1992 – State University, San Jose, CA
September 12, 1993 – Greet Woods Performing Arts Center, Mansfield, MA
November 16, 1993 (both) – The Supper Club, New York, NY
November 17, 1993 (both) – The Supper Club, New York, NY
August 14, 1994 – Woodstock ’94, West Saugerties, NY
October 8, 1994 – Orpheum Theater, Boston, MA
March 11, 1995 – Congress Hall, Prague, Czech Republic
March 30, 1995 – Brixton Academy, London, England
March 31, 1995 – Brixton Academy, London, England
June 17, 1996 – Tempodrome, Berlin, Germany
December 8, 1997 – Irving Plaza, New York, NY
December 19, 1997 – El Rey Theater, Los Angeles, CA
May 19, 1998 – San Jose Arena, San Jose, CA
June 9, 1998 – Globe Arena, Stockholm, Sweden
April 28, 1999 – Hala Tivoli, Ljubljana, Slovenia
June 14, 1999 – University of Oregon, Eugene, OR
November 14, 1999 – Centrum Arena, Worcester, MA
March 10, 2000 (late) – Sun Theatre, Anaheim, CA
March 15, 2000 – Civic Auditorium, Santa Cruz, CA
March 16, 2000 – Civic Auditorium, Santa Cruz, CA
September 24, 2000 – Guildhall, Portsmouth, England
September 25, 2000 – Guildhall, Portsmouth, England
October 1, 2000 – Halle Muensterland, Muenster, Germany
October 6, 2000 – Wembley Arena, London, England
October 5, 2001 – Spokane Arena, Spokane, WA
February 9, 2002 – Phillips Arena, Atlanta, GA
October 7, 2002 – Tehama County Fairgrounds, Red Bluff, CA
November 13, 2002 – Madison Square Garden, New York, NY
November 23, 2003 – Shepherds Bush Empire, London, England
November 24, 2003 – Hammersmith Apollo, London, England
November 25, 2003 – Brixton Academy, London, England
July 10, 2004 – Estadia Municipal Escribano Castilla, Motril, Spain
November 13, 2004 – Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, NY
November 27, 2005 – The Point Theatre, Dublin, Ireland
November 12, 2006 – Agganis Arena, Boston, MA
November 20, 2006 – New York City Center, New York, NY

PostPosted: Fri March 9th, 2012, 23:25 GMT 

Thank you all for the tips!

i may have many of that concerts.. i have all Not thin man mediafire archives, and some other things ive gather.. like 500gb total.. i have many concerts.. maybe near to a thousand i think.. and compilations and outtakes.. there is where i think i have a lot of things to gather yet..

Carnap i have listened to all official releases.. i guess no one would be gathering unofficial things if they didnt hear the official discography.. at least i think that ain't right lol..

the problem i have is that a lot of things are compilated many times.. and now that i have gather a good amount of things (i know i could have many times more.. but is a good amount never the less).. i dont know sometimes if i have or no some things..

gathering the concerts is easier because there are listed in some places..

the problem is with sessions, outtakes, and other rare recordings.. to many places, to many lists..

and the other problem is i dont have the exact info of somethings i have.. sometimes you get an mp at 320kbps.. but that doesnt mean is better than one with less kbps.. cause it may be compressed from a worst source than the other one.. for an example..

and i have found that in the a-z list are a lot of things in flac.. things that i have in mp3.. and that stresses me to.. i dont want to download all that things again.. and flac weights more to.. so i think i will stick with my mp3..

and somethings i have i dont have the tapper info, or if it is a crystal cat release.. so i get confused with that things to..

ill keep trying to be patience!

thanks!

PostPosted: Sat March 10th, 2012, 04:58 GMT 
Promethium Member

Miguel wrote:

i may have many of that concerts.. i have all Not thin man mediafire archives, and some other things ive gather.. like 500gb total.. i have many concerts.. maybe near to a thousand i think.. and compilations and outtakes.. there is where i think i have a lot of things to gather yet..

Carnap i have listened to all official releases.. i guess no one would be gathering unofficial things if they didnt hear the official discography.. at least i think that ain't right lol..

the problem i have is that a lot of things are compilated many times.. and now that i have gather a good amount of things (i know i could have many times more.. but is a good amount never the less).. i dont know sometimes if i have or no some things..

the problem is with sessions, outtakes, and other rare recordings.. to many places, to many lists..

and the other problem is i dont have the exact info of somethings i have.. sometimes you get an mp at 320kbps.. but that doesnt mean is better than one with less kbps.. cause it may be compressed from a worst source than the other one.. for an example..

and i have found that in the a-z list are a lot of things in flac.. things that i have in mp3.. and that stresses me to.. i dont want to download all that things again.. and flac weights more to.. so i think i will stick with my mp3..

and somethings i have i dont have the tapper info, or if it is a crystal cat release.. so i get confused with that things to..

thanks!

Miguel: Are you sure that you can't find SOME way to swing all 3 Buenos Aires shows? You gotta start thinking outta the box. It's not like Bob stumbles through your neck of the woods that often AND you will be going to BA for 1 show anyhow! Find a cheap rotgut hotel, eat street food and make an adventure of it. You will regret not doing so based on what little I now know about you. Just don't cry to me later when you realize the opportunity that was in front of you slipped right through your very own fingers. Field recordings are fun, don't get me wrong. MUCH more fun actually being there.

PostPosted: Sat March 10th, 2012, 05:31 GMT 

Location: The mystic garden, outside the chelsea hotel, near Montague Street...
I had about 100 bootlegs on my Itunes, and they got wiped off somehow...wanted to cry, nearly smashed my computer up. Haven't started getting them back yet. :(

PostPosted: Sat March 10th, 2012, 14:44 GMT 
Promethium Member

Isis_ wrote:
I had about 100 bootlegs on my Itunes, and they got wiped off somehow...wanted to cry, nearly smashed my computer up. Haven't started getting them back yet. :(

Buy a 2 Terrabyte drive today and start rebuilding. There is no shame in making a mistake, the shame comes if not learning from it.

PostPosted: Sat March 10th, 2012, 15:04 GMT 

My advice, turn back now, it will consume you! :shock:

PostPosted: Sat March 10th, 2012, 17:15 GMT 
Promethium Member

Tim Finnegan wrote:
My advice, turn back now, it will consume you! :shock:

My advice, Don't Look Back.

PostPosted: Sat March 10th, 2012, 17:48 GMT 

barefoot.. you should guess that i understand what you say.. i know seeing bob 3 times in a row would be extremely awsome.. but i really cant afford it.. i couldn't afford another ticket.. and there are no more tickets anyhow..

if i had more money.. i think i would go once but in front row after thinking of going more than once.. im gonna be a little far.. because i couldn't afford that either..

so.. i know what you mean.. but i cant do it.. so.. be happy for me that im going once.. im happy because of that.. and i wont change that for being sad because i cant go 3 times..

i wont cry to you.. i will tell you how happy made me see him.. even once..

thank you anyway for the good intention..

PostPosted: Sat March 10th, 2012, 18:03 GMT 
Promethium Member

Make a sign saying you're looking for a free ticket. Other people do that.

PostPosted: Sat March 10th, 2012, 18:24 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Miguel wrote:

thanks!

Miguel: Are you sure that you can't find SOME way to swing all 3 Buenos Aires shows? You gotta start thinking outta the box. It's not like Bob stumbles through your neck of the woods that often AND you will be going to BA for 1 show anyhow! Find a cheap rotgut hotel, eat street food and make an adventure of it. You will regret not doing so based on what little I now know about you. Just don't cry to me later when you realize the opportunity that was in front of you slipped right through your very own fingers. Field recordings are fun, don't get me wrong. MUCH more fun actually being there.

This is sound advice. See if you can do it. Last time I was "on tour", I shared a hotel room with 5 other BD fans. We had lots of laughs and lots of Bob talk.

I gave a ticket away for free in front of the venue at a Leonard Cohen concert. It was a good seat and I didn't want it to go to waste. You don't want any regrets later.

PostPosted: Sat March 10th, 2012, 18:34 GMT 
Titanium Member

smoke wrote:
October, 1962 – Gaslight Café, New York, NY
April 12, 1963 – Town Hall, New York, NY
October 26, 1963 – Carnegie Hall, New York, NY
May 7, 1965 – Free Trade Hall, Manchester, England
September 3, 1965 – Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles, CA
May 16, 1966 – Gaumont Theatre, Sheffield, England
May 17, 1966 – Free Trade Hall, Manchester, England
February 14, 1974 (afternoon) – The Forum, Los Angeles, CA
December 8, 1975 – Madison Square Garden, New York, NY
May 16, 1976 – Tarrant County Convention Center Arena, Fort Worth, TX
July 6, 1978 – Pavillon de Paris, Paris, France
November 16, 1979 – Fox Warfield Theater, San Francisco, CA
April 20, 1980 – Massey Hall, Toronto, CA
November 10, 1981 – Saenger Performing Arts Center, New Orleans, LA
June 28, 1984 – Minestadio, Barcelona, Spain
September 12, 1987 – Autodroma, Modena, Italy
June 10, 1988 – The Greek Theater, Berkeley, CA
February 8, 1990 – Hammersmith Odeon, London, England
November 17, 1993 (both) – The Supper Club, New York, NY
August 14, 1994 – Woodstock ’94, West Saugerties, NY
March 11, 1995 – Congress Hall, Prague, Czech Republic
June 17, 1996 – Tempodrome, Berlin, Germany
December 19, 1997 – El Rey Theater, Los Angeles, CA
June 9, 1998 – Globe Arena, Stockholm, Sweden
April 28, 1999 – Hala Tivoli, Ljubljana, Slovenia
October 6, 2000 – Wembley Arena, London, England
October 5, 2001 – Spokane Arena, Spokane, WA
October 7, 2002 – Tehama County Fairgrounds, Red Bluff, CA
November 24, 2003 – Hammersmith Apollo, London, England
November 27, 2005 – The Point Theatre, Dublin, Ireland

These 30 of the top 75 will give you a great overview of 40+years of live music

When I first stumbled upon the rare recordings section, I lost my mind. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat March 10th, 2012, 18:36 GMT 
Promethium Member

Miguel wrote:
barefoot.. you should guess that i understand what you say.. i know seeing bob 3 times in a row would be extremely awsome.. but i really cant afford it.. i couldn't afford another ticket.. and there are no more tickets anyhow..

if i had more money.. i think i would go once but in front row after thinking of going more than once.. im gonna be a little far.. because i couldn't afford that either..

so.. i know what you mean.. but i cant do it.. so.. be happy for me that im going once.. im happy because of that.. and i wont change that for being sad because i cant go 3 times..

i wont cry to you.. i will tell you how happy made me see him.. even once..

thank you anyway for the good intention..

I don't want to put any unnecessary pressure on you Miguel. In fact, I am SO, SO happy for you to be able to make it to any show. That's fantastic! I hope that part is clear. I am impressed with your attitude and felt the urge to nudge your fortitude.
There are always tickets available, so don't let that deter you. And there is always a way to find the money...always. Either way, please know that I am VERY HAPPY for you!

PostPosted: Sat March 10th, 2012, 18:53 GMT 
Promethium Member

Didn't the old DylanPool once help a kid get around to several shows? I don't know how they did it, but maybe we could try something like this before we continue beating each other over the head. Suggestions?