Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon April 21st, 2014, 09:36 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed March 7th, 2012, 08:52 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
At least I don't claim to have been around before I was born....
Sorry, that ^ doesn't mean this:
Johanna Parker wrote:
It means I'm wondering just how many 1966 concerts you, Ben, chrome horse, etc saw.
As it happens, chrome horse and I were around in the 60's, and as you were made aware, chrome horse gave up a ticket to a 1966 Dylan concert. As a 10 year-old I attended a Beatles and Stones concert- how many here can show us their medals in that department? If I'd lived in London, or on his 1966 concert trail, was just two or three years older, who knows, I might have got to see Dylan, had I been fully into him- which I wasn't at the time. So, don't try getting cute and sarky, when you've not got a handle on the facts.

PostPosted: Wed March 7th, 2012, 12:29 GMT 
Promethium Member

See, so the answer is "none". I'm aware of chrome horse's story, he was polite enough for some straight dialogue. I don't care if you think Bob's '66 concerts are the highest achievement of humanity, you just don't have any more right to say they are than I have to say they aren't. The mere fact that you were alive in the '60s doesn't give you any kind of right to judge anybody's opinion, nor does the claim to have seen the Beatles. Taking any pre-teen kids to a concert isn't worthy of handing out medals, since it's generally a nuisance to those around.

To go back on topic, I'm happy to learn of a young person excitedly looking forward to their first Dylan concert, and I would never ever discourage them from attending, even if I believed Bob was somehow 'better' when I saw him a couple of years ago.

PostPosted: Wed March 7th, 2012, 14:23 GMT 
Mercury Member

Glad to see you realized that you were back in '66 circular argument thread.

This is about Miguel, who is quite mature enough to know what he's about to embark upon. Hats off to Miguel. Can't wait to hear your post-concert comments.

(of course, JP needs to have the last word, so whatever she says next, too)

PostPosted: Wed March 7th, 2012, 15:42 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Glad to see you realized that you were back in '66 circular argument thread.

This is about Miguel, who is quite mature enough to know what he's about to embark upon. Hats off to Miguel. Can't wait to hear your post-concert comments.

(of course, JP needs to have the last word, so whatever she says next, too)

Good to see you've got her sussed.

PostPosted: Wed March 7th, 2012, 16:09 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
I don't care if you think Bob's '66 concerts are the highest achievement of humanity
Where have I written that? Nowhere. You've made it up, like you make everything up when you get desperate. Like you made this up:
Johanna Parker wrote:
At least I don't claim to have been around before I was born....
Except, now you've had to take that back:
Johanna Parker wrote:
The mere fact that you were alive in the '60s
But that doesn't stop you attempting another slur, inferring that I may have made up the story about seeing The Beatles:
Johanna Parker wrote:
nor does the claim to have seen the Beatles.
But even if I wasn't making it up:
Johanna Parker wrote:
Taking any pre-teen kids to a concert isn't worthy of handing out medals, since it's generally a nuisance to those around.
Yes, it was a nuisance to me since the audience was mostly made up of pre-teen, early teen girls, some of whom I knew, that I was vainly shouting at to stop screaming so that I could hear a single note from the Fabs. You then conclude with the characteristically unsubtle, 'guilt by association with the rest of the post' completely unfounded inference that I've been actively trying to discourage Miguel from seeing Bob:
Johanna Parker wrote:
I'm happy to learn of a young person excitedly looking forward to their first Dylan concert, and I would never ever discourage them from attending, even if I believed Bob was somehow 'better' when I saw him a couple of years ago.
And you're a moderator? :roll: Maybe not anymore.

PostPosted: Wed March 7th, 2012, 17:36 GMT 
Promethium Member

Passive discouragement, no less. Congrats to that.
What else did I make up, Bob's agreement with his parents? His courting fame and success? I'd like for you to show me some of the things I made up, seriously.

PostPosted: Wed March 7th, 2012, 21:56 GMT 
Mercury Member

Miguel wrote:
Im just so f*king happy!!!
Im gonna see dylan for the very first time!
I am from uruguay and i am 22, im gonna se him in buenos aires the 28 of april.. in the gran rex teathre.. ive got my ticket.. i cant believe it..
just wanted to share!
To much happiness to keep to myself!
Im gonna explodee

Anyways, Miguel you go and have a great time. We're all rooting for you!

PostPosted: Thu March 8th, 2012, 09:03 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
What else did I make up, Bob's agreement with his parents? His courting fame and success?
I never said you made up either. You made that up. 8) The burden is on you to name your source for the former, though. The only biographer to extensively meet and win the confidence of Abe and Beatty was Shelton, and he never mentions such a pact. He does write this, though: 'Abe and Beatty went to look for Bob at his last known address (in Minneapolis). In a stark, little-furnished room. they found only a few scaps of paper. They pulled open bureau doors and searched empty closets. He was gone, really gone, this time. They knew then that their son was beyond their command.' Some agreement.

Hey, Miguel! Enjoy the concert, and remember: trust yourself (of course, if you don't enjoy the concert you are cordially invited to distrust yourself). :D

PostPosted: Thu March 8th, 2012, 13:21 GMT 
Promethium Member

Abe Zimmerman spoke to a Duluth newspaper in '63. Check the transcript of the article here.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33331

PostPosted: Thu March 8th, 2012, 15:34 GMT 

Thanks for quoting your source. Walter Eldot certainly delivers a racy read. If they really had made a firm agreement, I'm sure Abe would have told Shelton, who he knew and trusted (after hearing about the motorcycle crash on the radio, it was Shelton he rang, when he couldn't get hold of Sara), and I'm sure Shelton would have referred to it in No Direction Home. And even if Bob had paid his parents lip service, he was never going to go back to college once he caught the performing bug- with or without immediate success. And would a proud father who took his first album into Hibbing High (as recounted by a former pupil in the 'When did you first get into Dylan?' thread), put posters and album covers up in his store window and around the basement room of their home really have come out with this: "My son is a corporation and his public image is strictly an act,"?

The question is, do you take a reported interview for a local newspaper (with all its local pride/ parental & home values issues) that has never, to my knowledge, been picked up and used in any biographies or profiles of Dylan, anywhere else, and glibly accept that as your proof that Dylan would have gone back to college, had he not been a success within a year? I think I'll go with Shelton, the abandoned Minneapolis lodgings, and no note.

Last edited by Train-I-Ride on Thu March 8th, 2012, 15:57 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu March 8th, 2012, 15:56 GMT 
Titanium Member

Abe had a family image to protect and it's pretty evident he tried to do that in Shelton's No Direction Home, even 6-7 years later. No disrespect intended to Mr. Zimmerman. He was brought up in a different time when these things were very important.

PostPosted: Thu March 8th, 2012, 16:02 GMT 

raging_glory wrote:
Abe had a family image to protect.

I'm sure he did, one that no doubt included letting the local newspaper think that Bob did as he was told.

PostPosted: Thu March 8th, 2012, 17:26 GMT 
Promethium Member

I never said I had proof that Bob would have returned to college. How could I have proof knowing the way things turned out? All I ever said is that the deal was in place, and that Bob courted fame and fortune on the basis of that. Probably if his father had really absolutely wanted to, he could have made Bob go back to college, since strictly speaking, Bob was still underage after the first year of building his musical career. He might have, we cannot know. In fact, yes, I do believe that '63 newspaper interview inasfar as it shows us a father alienated from chosen lifestyle of his son, just as much as the father's / family's lifestyle apparently alienated Bob enough to make up his own past. Their reasons are different, obviously, but both agree that folksingers don't come from respectable middle class families. The newspaper interview spells disappointment. Knowing that Shelton's book would have far wider circulation, I guess Mr Zimmerman chose his words towards Shelton carefully, with an emphasis of his pride in the achievements of his son. It's not hard to see why that would be. After all, it has been widely reported that Bob and his father had difficulties getting along, but that's not something you'd normally reveal to the world when asked for your views.

PostPosted: Thu March 8th, 2012, 21:14 GMT 
Titanium Member

BostonAreaBobFan wrote:
elmer wrote:
my deepest sympathies. may god have mercy on your soul and your ears and wallet

Knock it off.

Really. Let the guy enjoy himself!

Your enthusiasm is inspiring in tough times. Enjoy yourself

PostPosted: Fri March 9th, 2012, 02:54 GMT 

Well after reading all the comments

first, thank you for showing that you are happy for me, when i was writing the first post i was affraid i was gonna get a "oh.. great.. see ya"

Well, and to answer to the other things.

I know trust yourself of course, im young, but i have been listening to dylan for six years more or less.. i know almost every track from the official releases, but of course, there are allways many that need to be revisited..

i have like 500gb of live recordings, outtakes, etc, ive downloaded in the last two years or so, i still have a loooooooot to listen from there, and a lot to download to. But i've heard many concerts from the different decades, i know bob changed, i should be a fool not to notice..

its a fact people get old.. at least all the people i know did.. and bob to.. i dont expect him to have the voice he had 40 years ago.. not even 10 or 5 or 2 years ago..

but i know some other things, he is bob, he is "the man" for me, i will love to hear him bark like an old dog.. because i know how that dog got old.. i love his music, and from there, i love the guy (inclusive after knowing that he may think im a fool for thinking that, and all that "they dont know me" and all that stuff.. because i think that is true and false at the same time.. and he knows that.. thats why he plays.. that's what i think at least..)

so, i will love to hear the band, i will love to see him move, his cloth, see him playing, and singing.. even if he cant do it as he (or you) wish..

And like i said before.. it may sound stupid.. but i think part of the excite is "being in the same building breathing the same air"..
or like some of you said "omg! that is really him! there!"

in a figurative speech.. its like you've never seen your father (figurative remember, i dont see bob like a father lol), and you get to see him at his seventys.. would you tell: "remember, he is old now, he wont be able to play ball with you, dont get dissapointed" ??

and to finish.. trying to help johana and train-i-ride..
the discussion is pointless.. from the start is obvious you dont get to much along.. so its unlikely you will get to an understanding..

about the discussions of the different versions of the biographical facts.. i think they are not that important.. is nice to know.. but i think we are here for the music.. that is what bob gave us.. the rest.. is just things we are getting in to.. you get the different versions, you stick with the ones that you think are more accurate or logical, and there is no need to keep arguing.. at least not in this therms.. when it seems like a competition of "who knows more" or "who knows best" and not a team work to try to really determinate which version is true, or at least more accurate..

and about that thing of whos been here first, or heard it the most, or see him more times, or know more things.. that is kinda foolish.. im not saying you did exactly that.. but i saw that done in this forum..

i think sometimes the egos get in the way, and lead to nothing..

i think that's all for know..

sorry for my english.. i speak in the loving tongue..

PostPosted: Fri March 9th, 2012, 03:12 GMT 
Titanium Member

Really wonderful post, Miguel! You are very wise for your twenty-two years and you English is just fine!

PostPosted: Fri March 9th, 2012, 03:18 GMT 

Have a great time Miguel!
(And don’t forget to tape the show for posterity.)

PostPosted: Fri March 9th, 2012, 04:50 GMT 
Mercury Member

Right on, Miguel!

PostPosted: Fri March 9th, 2012, 07:45 GMT 
Titanium Member

Miguel - so excited to hear of the upcoming event! forget those who say,' i remember my first time,, blah blah, etc...' no one remembers your first time because it hasn't happened yet! I can't wait to hear about it. I hope this thread stays alive until that time comes!

as for those involved in the intensive argument that has nothing to do with bob dylan in South America, kindly shut the hell up!!!!

PostPosted: Fri March 9th, 2012, 08:03 GMT 

Hey, Miguel, great post. Love to Buenos Aires, Montevideo, and Patagonia, too.

PostPosted: Fri March 9th, 2012, 23:37 GMT 

thanks train i ride.. im glad you didnt thought it was offensive.. because i was really not trying to be.. like i said.. i was trying to help.. im glad if i did..

i hope johana wasn't bother by me to..

thanks you all for the comments!

if anyone is gonna be there in buenos aires let me know!

i know chambre is going to be there!

PostPosted: Fri March 9th, 2012, 23:45 GMT 
Promethium Member

Miguel wrote:
i hope johana wasn't bother by me to..

Oh no man, you didn't offend me. The more you read around here, the more you will notice that some people are always disagreeing with each other.

PostPosted: Sun March 11th, 2012, 13:47 GMT 

Miguel,

I remember my first show in 2009. I had the same feeling you describe. You will have an incredible experience! My brother and I try to see him every time he close. Enjoy friend!

PostPosted: Sun March 11th, 2012, 18:44 GMT 

Hola Miguel, you have all the reason in the world to be ecstatic!! As many others have said in this thread, watching him perform live is such a wonderful experience. Personally, the very fact that I'm in the same room as Bob with him in my line of sight always sends shivers down my spine!

Some advice that might be useful - if you wish to buy a poster from the concert, consider doing so before the show begins. My first Dylan gig was at venue only a little larger than the Teatro Gran Res and I made a mistake of waiting until the the end of the show because I didn't want to damage the poster. But by then, they were all sold out. Now I'm missing it in my collection!! :x

Hope you have a wonderful time and who knows, if I can get my hands on some tickets maybe we shall meet!

Adios!!

PostPosted: Mon March 12th, 2012, 17:26 GMT 

Miguel wrote:
Im just so f*king happy!!!

Im gonna see dylan for the very first time!

I am from uruguay and i am 22, im gonna se him in buenos aires the 28 of april.. in the gran rex teathre.. ive got my ticket.. i cant believe it..

just wanted to share!

To much happiness to keep to myself!

Im gonna explodee

I am pleased for you Miguel! I wonder what you will feel like as you are stood there waiting for him to come on to the stage ... : )

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next