Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri September 19th, 2014, 23:55 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Mon March 5th, 2012, 00:52 GMT 
Promethium Member

blind_boy_grunt wrote:
if he had devoted his life from that point on to Christianity and everything that goes with it then maybe I could believe it. But do you honestly believe that a man who encountered Jesus, a man who essentially has the mystery of our entire existence revealed to him, would find himself as unhappy and washed up and he later confessed himself to be only a few years later? i think not to be perfectly honest.

I never got the impression that he was without faith, somewhere in the Judeo-Christian field, either before, much less since. One does not need to play a gospel show forever to be a believer. And well, he has reported another encounter with a higher power at another later low point in his life.

PostPosted: Mon March 5th, 2012, 00:57 GMT 

Michael Gray wrote a great essay in Song and Dance Man about Dylan's process from Sara to Christ. I don't have my copy at hand, but some of the essay is summed up here: http://www.thecultureclub.net/2007/01/0 ... salvation/. Essentially Gray argues that Dylan goes from seeing Sara as his salvation in Sad Eyed Lay of the Lowlands to, through his divorce, losing touch with her and finding parrelels with himself and Jesus in BOTT, then seeing Christ as his salvation in the Gospel years much in the same way that he viewed Sarah. essentially Gray argues that he replaced Sara with Jesus. I think that Street-Legal is a key process in that transformation.

PostPosted: Mon March 5th, 2012, 01:02 GMT 
Promethium Member

gibsona07 wrote:
essentially Gray argues that he replaced Sara with Jesus.

Jesus and a huge number of gospel singers, surely. :P

But seriously, I can see this. Much has been written about how Sara was his seer, his guide and his oracle, and everybody needs some sort of stability and comfort, esp with a touring lifestyle like that.

PostPosted: Mon March 5th, 2012, 01:04 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
And well, he has reported another encounter with a higher power at another later low point in his life.

'I'm determined to stand whether God will deliver me or not'?

Is that what you're referring to? Because that strikes me as a man turning away from a higher power that never shows up when you need it and instead relying on his own inner resources of strength and fortitude to see himself through a tough patch.

PostPosted: Mon March 5th, 2012, 01:05 GMT 
Promethium Member

gibsona07 wrote:
Michael Gray wrote a great essay in Song and Dance Man about Dylan's process from Sara to Christ. I don't have my copy at hand, but some of the essay is summed up here: http://www.thecultureclub.net/2007/01/0 ... salvation/.

Oh, I have sweet great hilarious memories of these lines in concert.... yes I know it's BOTT.

In a little hilltop village
They gambled for my clothes…

PostPosted: Mon March 5th, 2012, 01:06 GMT 
Promethium Member

Can anyone tell me where the idea of a hyphen came from for Street Legal since Bob didn't use it on the album?

*Incidentally, hyphen or no hyphen, I like the album a lot.

PostPosted: Mon March 5th, 2012, 01:09 GMT 

"5. Is Your Love in Vain? – This song is just awful. Dylan trying to be Dylan trying to be relevant and meaningful but being none of these. The band sound like brown wall paper or some kind of dull pub carpet."

I usually enjoy listening to Is Your Love In Vain. It's a good song I think. Good to sing along to too. There is something strange about Street Legal, I admit, but I'm all for it, I'm glad it exists — I welcome Street Legal with open arms.

PostPosted: Mon March 5th, 2012, 01:12 GMT 

For you moth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhaFJ4Hgrqc

With gentlemanly fondness

From me.

PostPosted: Mon March 5th, 2012, 01:14 GMT 

The emotion he puts into that performance cuts right through me. The corny lyrics don't even register.

PostPosted: Mon March 5th, 2012, 01:15 GMT 
Promethium Member

blind_boy_grunt wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:
And well, he has reported another encounter with a higher power at another later low point in his life.

Is that what you're referring to? Because that strikes me as a man turning away from a higher power that never shows up when you need it and instead relying on his own inner resources of strength and fortitude to see himself through a tough patch.

Yes, the Lorcano '87 show. He said, "It wasn't like it was even me thinking it." He does seem to attribute certain things to a power beyond his own strength. Like after his illness in '97, he said he didn't have any profound thoughts during that time, yet he introduced spiritual songs (the so-called gospel covers) into his shows from later that year onwards, and they stuck in the setlist through 2002. It's been said they're just songs he likes, but certainly he could find plenty of songs he likes that don't have any religious message.

PostPosted: Mon March 5th, 2012, 01:24 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
Can anyone tell me where the idea of a hyphen came from for Street Legal since Bob didn't use it on the album?

The hyphens definetly there! Look closer!

PostPosted: Mon March 5th, 2012, 01:43 GMT 
Promethium Member

Wow. You folks have been busy! Nice thread. Gibson, I think you've done a nice job summing it up in your opener. Myself, I wouldn't call anything awful (because I am biased). My highs are generally in the same places as yours. Where Are You Tonight is right up there, as is New Pony. Better Talk This Over, as mentioned, is good in its rare live spot as well. Jerry Garcia helped Bob, and others, re-appreciate Señor. I think he could still pull off a fine new arrangement of New Pony, which Untrodden would be all over, I'll bet. As much as I'd love him to do the same with Where Are You, I think that he's better to leave well enough alone.

PostPosted: Mon March 5th, 2012, 02:31 GMT 
Promethium Member

gibsona07 wrote:
Untrodden Path wrote:

The hyphens definetly there! Look closer!
My copy's at work... I'll check it out in the morning.

PostPosted: Mon March 5th, 2012, 02:35 GMT 

here's a hi res copy, zoom in and look carefully! http://www.saintstevensthingery.com/myb ... 130002.jpg

PostPosted: Mon March 5th, 2012, 02:38 GMT 

blind_boy_grunt wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:

Or, more simply, a man who tries to do what he believes he is supposed to do and ignores the reception of it, as in "maybe it doesn't matter how successful I am with this"

PostPosted: Mon March 5th, 2012, 02:52 GMT 

Location: ..right behind the living - just in front of the dead.
gibsona07 wrote:
here's a hi res copy, zoom in and look carefully!
http://www.saintstevensthingery.com/myb ... 130002.jpg

:lol: .. WOW! - that was really Cool! .. 8)
- especially when i saw that little .. thing
Magnifying cross-hair .. put it right in between
the words and ... and pull the trigger -

BLAM! .. Big enough for COURT.
.. Hyphen!

PostPosted: Mon March 5th, 2012, 02:58 GMT 

henrypussycat wrote:

Or, more simply, a man who tries to do what he believes he is supposed to do and ignores the reception of it, as in "maybe it doesn't matter how successful I am with this"

That would certainly go a long way to explaining the ensuing horror of the NET years.

PostPosted: Mon March 5th, 2012, 06:05 GMT 
Titanium Member

When I got into Dylan, Desire / Hard Rain / Last Waltz were current. And my tape of his performance on the John Hammond tribute and Hard rain songs from the TV, not on the record. It was a wonderful time- I couldn't wait to hear what was next. When SL came out, and Budokan not long after, it was a huge disappointment. He had such a good thing going and then he just dumped it. I listened to SL/Budokan a thousand times but I never really liked any of it.

PostPosted: Mon March 5th, 2012, 08:54 GMT 
Mercury Member

Untrodden Path wrote:

Oh the ignorance. No wonder you love the NET - 24 years of flat earth right there in front of you.....

PostPosted: Mon March 5th, 2012, 09:17 GMT 
Mercury Member

blind_boy_grunt wrote:
But I love Bob, it hurts me to slag him off like this. I don't know how bennyboy can sleep at night.

Omniscience never sleeps.

PostPosted: Mon March 5th, 2012, 10:51 GMT 

blind_boy_grunt wrote:
For you moth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhaFJ4Hgrqc

With gentlemanly fondness

From me.

Thank you, I will watch these later with eager eyes and ears.

Yours gratefully,

old moth

PostPosted: Mon March 5th, 2012, 13:36 GMT 

Interesting video BBG, although I'm not a particularly big fan, the hush hush sweet charlotte Changing of the Guards is on youtube somewhere.... now that's something!

PostPosted: Mon March 5th, 2012, 14:12 GMT 
Promethium Member

gibsona07 wrote:
here's a hi res copy, zoom in and look carefully! http://www.saintstevensthingery.com/myb ... 130002.jpg

Sure is, it sure is.

PostPosted: Mon March 5th, 2012, 14:52 GMT 

From the penthouse to the outhouse in two albums. To add insult to injury this was the disc that was all over his European comeback tour, as were the serial flare-ups of his trouser transgressions:

PostPosted: Mon March 5th, 2012, 14:53 GMT 
Mercury Member

My first Dylan's album,..... my favorite song is SeÑor....

I'll record this song for this thread.

Jesús

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next