Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat April 19th, 2014, 04:21 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu March 1st, 2012, 17:50 GMT 
Promethium Member

kikjess wrote:
So I guess no-one could drop Bob a quick email to get him to straighten this one out for us? =)

Even if we did, chances are he'd google up some wild story out of an obscure out-of-print book out of which to fabricate his reply. He's not exactly known for historical accuracy.

PostPosted: Thu March 1st, 2012, 18:06 GMT 

>>So I guess no-one could drop Bob a quick email to get him to straighten this one out for us? =)

It seems Dylan always responds in reverse opposition so I would frame the question like-
"Whatever you do, Bobby, don't tell anyone where the "Ramblin' Round Tape" was recorded"

I think that's the best approach. It used to be called "child psychology".

PostPosted: Fri March 2nd, 2012, 10:43 GMT 

By the way, on the second tape, in the Guthrie songs 'VD blues', 'VD waltz' etc, what does 'VD' stand for? And what are those songs? (Are they meant to go together as a set, or...?)

PostPosted: Fri March 2nd, 2012, 12:13 GMT 

V.D. = venereal disease

PostPosted: Fri March 2nd, 2012, 12:19 GMT 

Thanks.

By the way, does anyone know if we're sure of the timing of the first recording? Is it definitely in May or could it have been earlier? I'm surprised that the influence of John Lee Hooker is so visible on the second recording and not the first one, which, if done in May, would have been straight after Dylan supported Hooker at Gerde's in April...

Anyone know if it could have been done a little before his gigs with Hooker?

PostPosted: Fri March 2nd, 2012, 12:53 GMT 
Mercury Member

kikjess wrote:
By the way, on the second tape, in the Guthrie songs 'VD blues', 'VD waltz' etc, what does 'VD' stand for?

ahh, to be young, naive and innocent again!

PostPosted: Fri March 2nd, 2012, 16:37 GMT 

To be fair, it's a rather outdated term. They're STIs or STDs these days.

PostPosted: Sat March 3rd, 2012, 02:10 GMT 
Mercury Member

Do they still call Gonorrhea "the clap"?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeyipYTS ... ata_player

PostPosted: Mon March 5th, 2012, 10:40 GMT 

kikjess wrote:
By the way, does anyone know if we're sure of the timing of the first recording? Is it definitely in May or could it have been earlier? I'm surprised that the influence of John Lee Hooker is so visible on the second recording and not the first one, which, if done in May, would have been straight after Dylan supported Hooker at Gerde's in April...

Anyone know if it could have been done a little before his gigs with Hooker?

No ideas on this one then?

By the way, Dylan today is on the cover of a French daily paper! Because of the soon-to-open exhibition about him at the Cité de la Musique, Paris.

PostPosted: Mon March 5th, 2012, 13:46 GMT 

kikjess wrote:
By the way, on the second tape, in the Guthrie songs 'VD blues', 'VD waltz' etc, what does 'VD' stand for? And what are those songs? (Are they meant to go together as a set, or...?)

"Those songs," usually known as the "VD Quartet," have an interesting history. See

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=49371&p=770634

I've still never been able to determine exactly how - or why - Guthrie came to write them, although I lean to the theory that he may have been commissioned by the U.S. Dept. of Health. The "Quartet" is actually either a sextet or septet, as there are at least six songs dealing with VD in the Guthrie archives.

PostPosted: Mon March 5th, 2012, 14:11 GMT 
Promethium Member

Thanks Fred for the info, and thanks kikjess for the link - I do believe there are still people out there who collect printed stuff. I'm one of them. :D

PostPosted: Mon March 5th, 2012, 17:43 GMT 

I see the enterprising exploiters at ISIS are selling their new bootleg of the May 1961 Ramblin' Round tape, giving people the opportunity to pay 30 dollars for what went around for free, plus a picture and a blurb.

The blurb will surely say "best available copy", which always means the best THEY had available, which in this case seems to be not very good.

PostPosted: Mon March 5th, 2012, 17:54 GMT 
Promethium Member

lowgen wrote:
I see the enterprising exploiters at ISIS are selling their new bootleg of the May 1961 Ramblin' Round tape, giving people the opportunity to pay 30 dollars for what went around for free, plus a picture and a blurb.

The blurb will surely say "best available copy", which always means the best THEY had available, which in this case seems to be not very good.

For fairness' sake, this is not an ISIS / Chrome Dreams product, they're just selling it the way they're selling other releases, because the recording just entered the public domain in the UK, which is where they are.

PostPosted: Mon March 5th, 2012, 22:27 GMT 

You say "fair" I say "naive".

I believe ISIS is making this disk and several other disks they sell. The bigger giveaway was the Folksingers Choice bootleg they "only carried", with liner notes by "Bailey Derrick" or somesuch.

Also, I believe this pressing is not yet available anywhere else.

They also sell other disks with older tracks by Guthrie and others.

It's not a pretty sight.

PostPosted: Mon March 5th, 2012, 22:32 GMT 
Promethium Member

Point taken. I guess legality is the keyword here. They can reach a reasonably big market with these things, and noone's gonna stop them.

Still their selling the Weberman DVD (which they did not produce) is offending me far worse than this.