Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun April 20th, 2014, 03:11 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat February 25th, 2012, 17:13 GMT 

Is that why no "real album" since 2009?

PostPosted: Sat February 25th, 2012, 17:23 GMT 

Well, it was too shot for the last few, so what's the difference now?

PostPosted: Sat February 25th, 2012, 17:33 GMT 

Funny how Bob's voice sounds a lot better (or healthier) on Modern Times than on Love & Theft.

PostPosted: Sat February 25th, 2012, 17:45 GMT 
Promethium Member

mjeff wrote:
Is that why no "real album" since 2009?

1993 - 1997
1997 - 2001
2001 - 2006

I remember when the news of TTL leaked, it was called a "surprise follow-up" to MT because it was so relatively soon. I think he'll do one if he feels like it (or gets pushed into it). Who knows what he's doing at this very moment.

PostPosted: Sat February 25th, 2012, 18:14 GMT 

His voice ain't shot..

Dylan sings exactly how he wants too.. I think Dylan has wanted to have his voice sound like this pretty much his whole career..

PostPosted: Sat February 25th, 2012, 18:30 GMT 

LineCookJosh wrote:
His voice ain't shot..

Dylan sings exactly how he wants too.. I think Dylan has wanted to have his voice sound like this pretty much his whole career..

That's a common thought here, from the modern Bob devotees. It could be true, but I doubt it.

My feeling is that he has sacrificed his voice for the betterment of mankind.

PostPosted: Sat February 25th, 2012, 18:39 GMT 
Promethium Member

He's had treatment to help his vocal cords, so I guess that means he wishes for improvement or at least not further detoriation. Personally, I still love his voice, but listen to any gospel era I Believe In You and tell me he could still do this if he chose to.

PostPosted: Sat February 25th, 2012, 18:52 GMT 
Mercury Member

Location: Probably killing time in a supermarket while sig. other compares organic fruits
As noted, his voice was much "smoother" on Modern Times than on Love and Theft from 5 years earlier. He obviously isn't going to sound like he did in 1980 or 1966, but he does have some measure of control and I think he could create a voice or vocal persona to fit a wide variety of material if the situation called for it.

He made it clear by 1988 that he wasn't going to let not sounding at all like 60's Dylan force him into early retirement, thank heaven.

PostPosted: Sat February 25th, 2012, 18:53 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
He's had treatment to help his vocal cords, so I guess that means he wishes for improvement or at least not further detoriation. Personally, I still love his voice, but listen to any gospel era I Believe In You and tell me he could still do this if he chose to.

This is news to me! what treatment did he have and when did he have it?

PostPosted: Sat February 25th, 2012, 18:56 GMT 
Promethium Member

crimson flames wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:

This is news to me! what treatment did he have and when did he have it?

What I read was that it was some sort of laser treatment, which can be done repeatedly if necessary, but is time consuming in that the cords can't be put under the stress of touring again right afterwards. I think he first had it after his voice really went out (ca. 2003-4).

PostPosted: Sat February 25th, 2012, 19:07 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
What I read was that it was some sort of laser treatment, which can be done repeatedly if necessary, but is time consuming in that the cords can't be put under the stress of touring again right afterwards. I think he first had it after his voice really went out (ca. 2003-4).

wow, who'd have guessed?

PostPosted: Sat February 25th, 2012, 19:28 GMT 

crimson flames wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:

wow, who'd have guessed?

Now this is interesting!

PostPosted: Sat February 25th, 2012, 19:32 GMT 

LineCookJosh wrote:
His voice ain't shot..

Well, I don't agree with that. Maybe on the first album he wanted to sound like a grizzled bluesman, but I think he more or less settled into his own (ever changing) skin from 'Freewheelin'' on. That first album, on so many fronts, is Dylan imitating everybody who influenced him. It wasn't his own voice. 'Freewheellin' gives us Dylan as Dylan for the first time. He sang (especially on the 60's albums) exactly like he wanted to depending on the album. For 'Another Side,' he was all drunk and cracking, for BIABH and H61R, he was sharp and caustic, BoB a little warmer and hushed, Basement Tapes that weird banshee wail, JWH rough and rustic, etc.. The idea that he always wanted to sound like this might have pertained to 20 year old Bob, but I don't it pertained to the 25 year old recording H61R.

As for the question of if his voice is too shot now to record a new album, I am with all of the people who say that it really hasn't been that long since TTL, and Dylan doesn't record quickly these days. Heck, he put out two albums that year (CItH is an album, believe it or not). While it would be great to get something else soon, I'd prefer Dylan spend a legit amount of time crafting GOOD songs, rather than slapping together a bunch of blues retreads and putting an album out earlier. In other words, I am more than willing to wait a few more years for a Great album, and if the options are either Great album in 2014, or OK-but-forgettable album in 2012, give me the Great album. Of course, the ideal solution is that Dylan release a Great album in 2012, but I am patient.

PostPosted: Sat February 25th, 2012, 19:36 GMT 

Md23Rewls wrote:
LineCookJosh wrote:
His voice ain't shot..

Well, I don't agree with that. Maybe on the first album he wanted to sound like a grizzled bluesman, but I think he more or less settled into his own (ever changing) skin from 'Freewheelin'' on. That first album, on so many fronts, is Dylan imitating everybody who influenced him. It wasn't his own voice. 'Freewheellin' gives us Dylan as Dylan for the first time. He sang (especially on the 60's albums) exactly like he wanted to depending on the album. For 'Another Side,' he was all drunk and cracking, for BIABH and H61R, he was sharp and caustic, BoB a little warmer and hushed, Basement Tapes that weird banshee wail, JWH rough and rustic, etc.. The idea that he always wanted to sound like this might have pertained to 20 year old Bob, but I don't it pertained to the 25 year old recording H61R.

As for the question of if his voice is too shot now to record a new album, I am with all of the people who say that it really hasn't been that long since TTL, and Dylan doesn't record quickly these days. Heck, he put out two albums that year (CItH is an album, believe it or not). While it would be great to get something else soon, I'd prefer Dylan spend a legit amount of time crafting GOOD songs, rather than slapping together a bunch of blues retreads and putting an album out earlier. In other words, I am more than willing to wait a few more years for a Great album, and if the options are either Great album in 2014, or OK-but-forgettable album in 2012, give me the Great album. Of course, the ideal solution is that Dylan release a Great album in 2012, but I am patient.

Agreed. I would like him to go out on top.. with a truly great album being his last. But he won't live forever and his voice can only be listenable for so long. He needs to do it in the next year or 2 imho.

PostPosted: Sat February 25th, 2012, 21:23 GMT 
Promethium Member

mjeff wrote:
Agreed. I would like him to go out on top.. with a truly great album being his last. But he won't live forever and his voice can only be listenable for so long. He needs to do it in the next year or 2 imho.

People who think his voice is unlistenable now aren't going to change their minds I guess, but those who remained on board, or got on board during the last 20 years, aren't going to get scared off by the studio voice. I agree inasfar as I would like to see him make an efford in his songwriting, sure. I don't even care if he steals lyrics if they're good lyrics, so I'd rather have another "LAT" than another TTL.... but really I'd like something new that is equally refreshing to the way that "LAT" is. He'd have to be willing to be challenged, or challenge himself in the face of predictable press reviews that are going to praise any new album these days just because of who he is. He might need a producer, someone who's neither a yes-man nor a guitar-smashing Lanois.

PostPosted: Sat February 25th, 2012, 21:32 GMT 

mjeff wrote:

I guess God has spoken. His last? Bob, please, what ever you do, DO NOT follow this guy's advice, like you would anyway!

Keep writin' as long as you can. I can see another 20-30 years.

PostPosted: Sat February 25th, 2012, 21:36 GMT 

"Is bob's voice 2 shot to make another album?"

No, but it's too shot to be on tour.

PostPosted: Sat February 25th, 2012, 22:01 GMT 
Promethium Member

You could just as well reason it was too shot to not be on tour.

PostPosted: Sun February 26th, 2012, 14:17 GMT 

Is his voice shot? Does he still smoke cigarettes? Who knows. . .

PostPosted: Sun February 26th, 2012, 14:18 GMT 
Promethium Member

The smoking thing is not that hard to determine.

PostPosted: Sun February 26th, 2012, 14:21 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
The smoking thing is not that hard to determine.

Is he choking on cancer sticks these days? I haven't a clue. . .

PostPosted: Sun February 26th, 2012, 14:24 GMT 
Promethium Member

I've seen him smoke during recent tours.

PostPosted: Sun February 26th, 2012, 14:29 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
I've seen him smoke during recent tours.

If he was at all concerned about his lungs and throat he wouldn't be smoking. Not a whole lot of recording artists and touring performers out there who still smoke cigarettes.

Last edited by Brairy Rose on Sun February 26th, 2012, 14:35 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun February 26th, 2012, 14:30 GMT 
Promethium Member

Apparently, he's an addict, then.

PostPosted: Sun February 26th, 2012, 14:37 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
Apparently, he's an addict, then.

That's bullcrap. . .people can quit smoking cigarettes.