Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed July 30th, 2014, 07:01 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue December 20th, 2011, 20:59 GMT 
Titanium Member

Train-I-Ride wrote:
Is it just me, or is Sara not Janet Jackson's double, in R & C? :P

More like Latoya or Michael, or even Diana Ross. Depends on what pics you compare her to.

PostPosted: Tue December 20th, 2011, 23:15 GMT 
Titanium Member

What a wonderful Christmas present, Isis! I watched about 15 minutes at lunch today and am planning some good movie time during the holidays - thank you! I love it, by the way :D (hush, elmer & stephenoxford :roll: )

PostPosted: Tue December 20th, 2011, 23:27 GMT 
Titanium Member

I hasten to disagree Renaldo and Clara is a good quality film. In the history of filmmaking, far better filmmakers have made far better films. In fact, it's not even the best film that features snow or masks... seek good quality elsewhere.

PostPosted: Tue December 20th, 2011, 23:51 GMT 

whatsittoya wrote:
Well Sara isn't, so I guess it must just be you that's Janet Jackson's double in the film. Which part did you play?

Have you seen the movie? Check her out, towards the end. I was the Masked Tortilla's guacamole, by the way,

PostPosted: Tue December 20th, 2011, 23:54 GMT 

Renaldo & Clara is a wonderful movie, and this link opens up a whole new avenue of pleasure to all fans of Bob Dylan.

PostPosted: Wed December 21st, 2011, 00:41 GMT 
Titanium Member

^^^^ This.

PostPosted: Wed December 21st, 2011, 00:46 GMT 

I saw Renaldo & Clara twice at its release 35 years ago. I thought I remembered quite a bit about it. I remember almost nothing. The only scene I clearly remembered was David Mansfield as a cherub playing the fiddle and having all the women transfixed.

I posted five screen shots in the Visions of Bob section.

PostPosted: Wed December 21st, 2011, 13:08 GMT 

stephenoxford wrote:
The expression "You can't polish a turd" comes to mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl7ca_QL5kY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

umm, sorry... :wink:

PostPosted: Wed December 21st, 2011, 17:59 GMT 

I'm around 100' in and it's even better than it seemed when I sat through it it three times, on its cinema release. Anyone that just wants the Bob performance bits is missing the whole point- not just of the movie, but of life itself, which shouldn't just amount to a gnat's attention-span exercise in impatient cherry-picking. David Blue playing the greatest ball in pinball history ever committed to film AND revealing the writing moments and minutes of Blowin' In the Wind, Sara Dylan, sphynx-like and cooler than Bob, flitting in and out, uttering a few lines, walking through a train station concourse in black knee-length boots, Ginsberg playing to a roomful of old ladies in a seedy little club, MC'd by a camp old queen, mincing out Cabaret, Bobby Neuwirth playing to type while falling out with Native Americans and failing to bamboozle an arrow-straight train conductor, Ronnie Hawkins playing Bob Dylan - 'a true hero of the highest order'- and ad-libbing one of the greatest poignantly rundown seduction scenes I've ever witnessed- 'You'll have to ask my daddy first'. 'I got half an assful of buckshot from Daddies I asked (or words to that effect)'. Bob driving a camper wagon through the New England Fall, with Jack Elliott for company. Bob walking into a Iroquois reservation banquet to his own rendition of People Get Ready, the camera tracking past the transfixed faces, reminding you of Ricky Leacock's shot of Kennedy entering a hall in Primary. Ronee Blakeley busting up with her beau 'Ramone' for unreal, then playing and singing her heart out to Need A New Sun Rising for very much real. Bob stepping out in his fur hat and blanket jacket to join Jacques Levy (?) for a cognac. Here we see him as he is: the songwriter that lets others do all the talking, while he listens, observes, and stores more songwriting acorns. It's non-linear, mysterious, pretentious in parts, wobbly, revelatory, but ultimately compellingly beautiful cinema. .....and I'm only 100' in. Join the party.

PostPosted: Wed December 21st, 2011, 18:20 GMT 

I'm about half an hour in, riveting so far. Better (and more revealing) than Eat the Document imo. Obviously Bob's not the only thing happening here, but it is interesting to see how he and Sara (and others) get on great in private contrasted with when he goes and performs in makeup and masks...

PostPosted: Wed December 21st, 2011, 21:06 GMT 

fer me..that flick is a great home movie of the times.residual fallout from the sixties...to seventies reality,as unreal as it was..
hints of bob's take on things...but overall...moving pictures.......comin down......... a great soundtrack,with a great group of folks..
and it's not like we were footin the bill.blessings y'all..top o the season to ya.

PostPosted: Thu December 22nd, 2011, 01:39 GMT 
Titanium Member

I'm an hour, 37 minutes in so far - and it's absolutely fantastic! I can't imagine any Bob Dylan fan not liking this movie. Or actually any fan of Americana/sixties/bohemia - look at it as a documentary of life as it was at that time - plus a dollop of Dylan RTR concerts to boot - who could ask for anything more? :D :D

PostPosted: Thu December 22nd, 2011, 02:11 GMT 

doomedtoloveyou wrote:
I'm an hour, 37 minutes in so far - and it's absolutely fantastic! I can't imagine any Bob Dylan fan not liking this movie.

I'm a pretty big film buff and rate movies objectively - I haven't watched it, but if it's bad, I won't be merciful just because it's Dylan's film. :P

PostPosted: Thu December 22nd, 2011, 02:38 GMT 
Mercury Member

TheGunfighter wrote:
doomedtoloveyou wrote:
I'm an hour, 37 minutes in so far - and it's absolutely fantastic! I can't imagine any Bob Dylan fan not liking this movie.

I'm a pretty big film buff and rate movies objectively - I haven't watched it, but if it's bad, I won't be merciful just because it's Dylan's film. :P

It's worthwhile, and I'm not one to sit idle and watch movies.

PostPosted: Thu December 22nd, 2011, 03:27 GMT 

I'm downloading it via Keepvid; have a feeling its gonna take awhile.

PostPosted: Thu December 22nd, 2011, 05:13 GMT 
Mercury Member

Thanks for the link and inspiration to re-watch this. Made it through the 1st hour. Will pick away at it from here. Can't do it all in one sitting...

PostPosted: Thu December 22nd, 2011, 05:16 GMT 
Titanium Member

It's painful to watch Joan Baez dancing around during 8 Miles High.

This movie is really Sara Dylan's movie. She steals the show.

PostPosted: Thu December 22nd, 2011, 08:05 GMT 

Three legged man wrote:
This movie is really Sara Dylan's movie. She steals the show.

I just keep waiting for her to reappear. She fascinates me more than Bob. I wonder why that is? :P

PostPosted: Thu December 22nd, 2011, 08:29 GMT 

Yeah, it's easy to see why she had Bob domesticated for almost a decade.

PostPosted: Thu December 22nd, 2011, 08:34 GMT 

TheGunfighter wrote:
doomedtoloveyou wrote:

Well, just don't go watching it with your Cecil B.DeMille hat and Sergei Eisenstein slippers on, Truffaut. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu December 22nd, 2011, 12:51 GMT 

Location: The mystic garden, outside the chelsea hotel, near Montague Street...
I'm struggling to put this to dvd, i've downloaded it from youtube, and it's in a Flv file, i converted it to mp4 and put in iDvd (mac) but i'm really struggling, anyway help? not sure if anyone on here knows that much about computers ?

PostPosted: Thu December 22nd, 2011, 13:27 GMT 

Location: The mystic garden, outside the chelsea hotel, near Montague Street...
looks like i may have done it :)

PostPosted: Thu December 22nd, 2011, 13:33 GMT 

I like the movie apart from the bits with Dylan in.

PostPosted: Thu December 22nd, 2011, 13:54 GMT 

JTT's version has just been bumped on hungercity.
That is the way to go.
It's pristine quality.
Anything with JTT's name on it is 100% gold.

PostPosted: Thu December 22nd, 2011, 14:19 GMT 

Google Youtube Downloader. Very good, small, simple free program with a built in converter.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next