Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed October 22nd, 2014, 08:00 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat December 3rd, 2011, 13:04 GMT 
Promethium Member

onetwomany wrote:
Have any of you guys ever taken lsd?

Duh, isn't that what this whole discussion is about?

PostPosted: Sat December 3rd, 2011, 14:03 GMT 
Titanium Member

onetwomany wrote:
Have any of you guys ever taken lsd?

Of course...but it's been a while. Think I'm suffering flashbacks?

Anyway...what's your point? 8)

PostPosted: Sat December 10th, 2011, 22:06 GMT 
Promethium Member

We drinkin' tonight Wineman?

PostPosted: Sun December 11th, 2011, 01:09 GMT 
Titanium Member

Hey, how've ya been? Of course we're drinking tonight.

PostPosted: Sun December 11th, 2011, 01:15 GMT 
Titanium Member

wineman wrote:
I agree with it being ingrained...that's exactly it. But...how about the listener...who's told "Bob's songs are all about the lyric"....then they sit back and listen (IF they can understand him)...and hear a story that lacks cohesion...because he sings every other verse?

But I agree about the wine. And after all's said and done, we'll probably agree to disagree. Not really...I break people down in the end. Red or white?

Actually I was thinking about doing a wine thread. "Wineman's Holiday recommendations" 8)

I was also thinking of writing a group of wine songs: Life is a Cabernet, Living in Zin, Leave Me a Rhone, Kay Syrah Syrah, etc.

And? I'd love to see your holiday recommendations!

PostPosted: Sun December 11th, 2011, 01:21 GMT 
Titanium Member

Hey doomed. You must be a mind reader...as I was just thinkin' about whether to do a thread on that. I'd like to. I taste...a lot of wine....a real lot...which in itself, doesn't make me good with it...but I am (I say modestly :oops: ).

PostPosted: Sun December 11th, 2011, 01:39 GMT 
Titanium Member

That's unbelievable, wineman - Jim just this minute said, "Wine time." - we always have a glass of red at night - although my favorites are whites - we were spoiled by trips to Italy, where even the house wines are so very, very good. I would honestly appreciate your recommendations - we tend to stick to the same wines - we need to experiment more!
doomed

PostPosted: Sun December 11th, 2011, 01:58 GMT 
Titanium Member

Part of the fun of wine...is trying different things. I know it's not an inexpensive beverage to experiment with...but I'd get really bored drinking the same wine all the time. Italy's great...the wines, and the people. Been there about 20 times...working my way from Tuscany to Verona, to Piedmont. Love it. I'll throw the idea of a wine thread in off topic, either tomorrow or Monday...and if members want it...I'm up for it. Would be fun. The only negative with wine for me is that it completely destroys my song writing. Can't drink and write...dulls my thought process, creativity, imagination.

Where do you live?

Edit: Looking at your spelling of the word "favorites" I can tell your a Yank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun December 11th, 2011, 02:12 GMT 
Titanium Member

wineman wrote:
Part of the fun of wine...is trying different things. I know it's not an inexpensive beverage to experiment with...but I'd get really bored drinking the same wine all the time. Italy's great...the wines, and the people. Been there about 20 times...working my way from Tuscany to Verona, to Piedmont. Love it. I'll throw the idea of a wine thread in off topic, either tomorrow or Monday...and if members want it...I'm up for it. Would be fun. The only negative with wine for me is that it completely destroys my song writing. Can't drink and write...dulls my thought process, creativity, imagination.

Where do you live?

We're actually in the same state, wineman, since I believe you're in Miami - I'm up in little Crystal River, FL - on the west coast - and no, you're wrong - drinking is the only time I CAN write - if I'm totally sober, forget it! I do love Italy - our visits have always been to Florence - although we traveled to other areas - isn't the food unbelievable?! And the wine!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun December 11th, 2011, 02:27 GMT 
Titanium Member

doomedtoloveyou wrote:
wineman wrote:

Where do you live?

We're actually in the same state, wineman, since I believe you're in Miami - I'm up in little Crystal River, FL - on the west coast - and no, you're wrong - drinking is the only time I CAN write - if I'm totally sober, forget it! I do love Italy - our visits have always been to Florence - although we traveled to other areas - isn't the food unbelievable?! And the wine!

Crystal River...cool. I LOVE small towns...hate the big cities I've spent most of my life in. Anyway...good to see a fellow sunshine stater on the forum. On another note...I'm not wrong. I said, it dulls my thought process... and creativety...not yours. My writing is extremely detailed...and I usually write in quick one take bursts. And wine dulls my abilitiy to stay the course. As for Italy...I used to stay in Florence...but tired of it. Make no mistake...it's a great city, great restaurants, churches, museum's. But I've spent my life in big towns....starting with NYC...now South Florida. After I got tired of the bustle of Florence, I started staying in Sienna, then Montalcino...smaller towns. I fell in love with Italy on my first trip...at 22...when the wine shop I was working for sent me. I've been to wine producing regions around the world...and to me, nothing beats Italy. I'm not saying they have the best wines...as no country has exclusivity to that...but the total experience of the wine, the food (or cuisine), the people, and the sheer beauty...is magic to me. I'm glad you've been there, and love it, as well.

PostPosted: Sun December 11th, 2011, 07:08 GMT 
Promethium Member

A lot of really good stout for me tonight with tequila chasers...

PostPosted: Sun December 11th, 2011, 07:11 GMT 
Titanium Member

Yum.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon December 12th, 2011, 01:50 GMT 
Titanium Member

wineman wrote:

Quote:
Crystal River...cool. I LOVE small towns...hate the big cities I've spent most of my life in. Anyway...good to see a fellow sunshine stater on the forum. On another note...I'm not wrong. I said, it dulls my thought process... and creativety...not yours. My writing is extremely detailed...and I usually write in quick one take bursts. And wine dulls my abilitiy to stay the course. As for Italy...I used to stay in Florence...but tired of it. Make no mistake...it's a great city, great restaurants, churches, museum's. But I've spent my life in big towns....starting with NYC...now South Florida. After I got tired of the bustle of Florence, I started staying in Sienna, then Montalcino...smaller towns. I fell in love with Italy on my first trip...at 22...when the wine shop I was working for sent me. I've been to wine producing regions around the world...and to me, nothing beats Italy. I'm not saying they have the best wines...as no country has exclusivity to that...but the total experience of the wine, the food (or cuisine), the people, and the sheer beauty...is magic to me. I'm glad you've been there, and love it, as well.

Yes, it is magic. Every trip we've made to Italy has included so many moments that were totally magical. Okay - what are your holiday wine recommendations? Even if they're not all Italian?(!)

PostPosted: Mon December 12th, 2011, 03:18 GMT 
Titanium Member

I'm planning on doing a wine thread of holiday recommendations...and see how it fly's. Anyway...name a white you drink, and a red, so I have some idea of your tastes...and price range. And I'll throw out a recommendation or two.

PostPosted: Mon December 12th, 2011, 22:46 GMT 
Titanium Member

wineman wrote:
I'm planning on doing a wine thread of holiday recommendations...and see how it fly's. Anyway...name a white you drink, and a red, so I have some idea of your tastes...and price range. And I'll throw out a recommendation or two.

Well, recently I’ve been drinking Ecco’s Pinot-Chardonnay - and Jim’s favorite is either a Chianti or any 2009 Beaujolais - those are just our everyday wines and all are in the $10 - $20 range - however, holiday wines could be pricier - suggestions?

PostPosted: Tue December 13th, 2011, 01:13 GMT 
Promethium Member

Doomed, if you're gettin' low on cash, you can always go with the Two Buck Chuck.

PostPosted: Tue December 13th, 2011, 12:29 GMT 
Titanium Member

Oooops - sorry - I didn't realize this was for wine snobs only :oops: - my bad.

PostPosted: Tue December 13th, 2011, 14:51 GMT 
Titanium Member

Hi doomed. Sorry I didn't respond to your question last night. I started my own company this year as a wine consultant and have a decent client list composed of independent wine merchants, and markets, where I not only act as an advisor, but also do their buying..and it's a very hectic time of year. I didn't see this until right now. I'll respond this evening. Again...sorry. BTW...seems like your husband has been doing some reading...if he's buying 2009 Beaujolais, as it was an amazing vintage in Burgundy...for both Pinot Noir and Gamay (the grape of Beaujolais). If a winery couldn't produce good grape juice in that vintage...they should try growing apples instead 8) . If they are still available, and they probably are, your husband should seek out some of the Cru Beaujolais from Georges Dubouef, or Henry Fessy. One in particular I'd recommend is Georges Duboeuf 2009 Domaine Descombes "Morgon". It's a spectatular Beaujolias...and you should be able to pick it up for $13-$16.

Also...no wine snobs allowed.

More later.

Miami Matt

PostPosted: Tue December 13th, 2011, 18:39 GMT 

Accidentally I just bought a Saint-Amour-wine of this merchant, not too expensive, only 87 PP. I like Parker, but imagine, some experts would give points to Bob Dylan, to Tangled up in Blue and Tangleds vintages. The wine-mafia has it´s constitution: The rules of colour, nose, length, complexity etc... Buyers believe what they say, but in my opinion wines can have an aesthetic dimension that you can´t judge easily. Like you can´t give Dylan only 70 points cause he´s not singing like Mark Knopfler.
Anyway, the very specific and interesting question about Tangled… it`s a self commenting, distant, a bit vain line, this "When it all came crashing down / I became withdrawn" Show what you feel, don´t talk about it, may Dylan think , when he skips it.

PostPosted: Tue December 13th, 2011, 20:57 GMT 
Titanium Member

Kle wrote:
Accidentally I just bought a Saint-Amour-wine of this merchant, not too expensive, only 87 PP. I like Parker, but imagine, some experts would give points to Bob Dylan, to Tangled up in Blue and Tangleds vintages. The wine-mafia has it´s constitution: The rules of colour, nose, length, complexity etc... Buyers believe what they say, but in my opinion wines can have an aesthetic dimension that you can´t judge easily. Like you can´t give Dylan only 70 points cause he´s not singing like Mark Knopfler.
Anyway, the very specific and interesting question about Tangled… it`s a self commenting, distant, a bit vain line, this "When it all came crashing down / I became withdrawn" Show what you feel, don´t talk about it, may Dylan think , when he skips it.

Well...you're kinda right....and kinda wrong...in my opinion. I've done a number of tastings with Bob Parker (and have hung out with him just drinking wine and talking music . He's a BIG Dylan fan), and we have somewhat different philosophies. In my wine newsletter I review and rate wines, as well. Some things are subjective, and others are not. When grading a wine, personal tastes should not come into play, and there are specific criteria that is used. BUT...it depends on how much emphasis you put on each component of that criteria that can alter the review and rating. As an example, Parker puts a lot of weight on the bouquet or the aromatics of the wine. I place a far greater emphasis on the flavor and nuances...because after spending most of my adult life selling wine to the consumer...I know that taste profile is considerably more important than bouquet. Also, a wine rating is based on educated guesswork of where that wine will be when it reaches its apex. So, the rating is NOT reflecting what you're tasting now...unless the wine has already matured. Since statistically 99.8% of wine drinkers consume what they purchase within 48 hours (unless they bought a case, of course), I place more emphasis on how the wine is tasting now and over the next year or so. I do put weight on ageability, but less so than Parker or the Wine Specator. I've always felt I have had an advantage over both, as I've dealt with the consumer since I was 21, and neither Parker nor anybody on the Wine Spectator staff has gone through that.

Obviously, a wine can rate extremely high, yet...you, as an example, may not like it at all. That doesn't alter the validity of the rating. It's simply that a rating is obviously general and is not taking any specific persons taste into account. I've been successful with wine almost from the getgo, because I'm lucky to have a very good palate (and I think that's something that's inate, and cannot fully be taught), and have the opportunity to interact with the consumer, and find out their personal tastes. Most wine writers, do not get that opportunity.

And I still believe that Dylan should include all the verses of Tangled. Leave out a verse from HW 61...and who cares? Same with Desolation. But not Tangled. That's my story and I'm sticking to it 8)

PostPosted: Tue December 13th, 2011, 22:47 GMT 
Titanium Member

wineman wrote:
Hi doomed. Sorry I didn't respond to your question last night. I started my own company this year as a wine consultant and have a decent client list composed of independent wine merchants, and markets, where I not only act as an advisor, but also do their buying..and it's a very hectic time of year. I didn't see this until right now. I'll respond this evening. Again...sorry. BTW...seems like your husband has been doing some reading...if he's buying 2009 Beaujolais, as it was an amazing vintage in Burgundy...for both Pinot Noir and Gamay (the grape of Beaujolais). If a winery couldn't produce good grape juice in that vintage...they should try growing apples instead 8) . If they are still available, and they probably are, your husband should seek out some of the Cru Beaujolais from Georges Dubouef, or Henry Fessy. One in particular I'd recommend is Georges Duboeuf 2009 Domaine Descombes "Morgon". It's a spectatular Beaujolias...and you should be able to pick it up for $13-$16.

Also...no wine snobs allowed.

More later.

Miami Matt

Thanks, Matt! I've copied the name so that Jim can go hunting - we have the usual ABC, which is where we usually go, but there's also a small new wine shop that we've been wanting to try out, and this will give us a reason - it sounds like you have your dream job - I envy your palate - mine is more akin to Peroni beer and white wines, although when we're in Italy, I do like the reds - we were lucky enough to have someone give us a bottle of Brunello di Montalcino, which we both enjoyed tremendously. However, we also enjoy the simple house wines in the trattorias as well -
thanks again - and I'm very glad you're not a wine snob :lol: !
doomed

PostPosted: Tue December 13th, 2011, 23:09 GMT 
Titanium Member

Hey doomed...I'll get you some more recommendations, both red and white. You said you like Ecco Pinot-Chardonnay blend. Please name another white you enjoy. And do you like any whites that have a little sweetness? Ya know, fresh and fruity...like you :oops:

PostPosted: Wed December 14th, 2011, 00:57 GMT 
Titanium Member

wineman wrote:
Hey doomed...I'll get you some more recommendations, both red and white. You said you like Ecco Pinot-Chardonnay blend. Please name another white you enjoy. And do you like any whites that have a little sweetness? Ya know, fresh and fruity...like you :oops:

Well, actually, I like mostly pinot grigios and chardonnays - NOT sweet :shock: - I prefer dry - ! Also like the Friuli-Venezia Giulia wines - ? Maybe fresh - maybe fruity, but not sweet!
Thanks so much for your recommendations, Matt!!!

PostPosted: Wed December 14th, 2011, 01:10 GMT 
Titanium Member

Ok...I'll come up w/some things. Friuli makes the finest whites in Italy. For a lighter style Pinot Grigio...which is typical of Venezia...see if you can find Zenato...$11-$14. Or for a fuller bodied, lush Pinot from Friuli, look for Jermann (pronounced yer-mon). They take Pinot Grigio to a different level....more expensive...$18-$22.More weight (serious Pinot Grigiot, if there is such a thing), where Zenato is more traditionsl...light and crisp. Also Jermann...makes terrific Chardonnay. On the lower end, as far as price...try 2010 Torre Di Luna from Venezia....$10. Great value.

I'll give you more...including the best "bang for the buck" Tuscan red I've tasted this year. Hubby should love it...and so should you,

Last edited by wineman on Wed December 14th, 2011, 01:19 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed December 14th, 2011, 01:13 GMT 
Titanium Member

:D :D Wow - thanks, Matt!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next