Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun October 26th, 2014, 07:41 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: End of the NET???
PostPosted: Tue November 22nd, 2011, 00:40 GMT 

If Bob does take 2012 off from touring, it will be interesting to see what happens to the band. I'm sure they're well paid, but on the other hand, I'm sure they probably need to keep working. How many will sign on with somebody else & not be available if & when Bob resumes touring in 2013? We might see a completely new band.

PostPosted: Tue November 22nd, 2011, 03:20 GMT 
Promethium Member

P. Pittsburgh Joe wrote:
If Bob does take 2012 off from touring, it will be interesting to see what happens to the band. I'm sure they're well paid, but on the other hand, I'm sure they probably need to keep working. How many will sign on with somebody else & not be available if & when Bob resumes touring in 2013? We might see a completely new band.

Would LOVE to see a new band but with Tony & George intact...and Charlie...wouldn't that be somethin'?
BUT, get over it people. It's not the end, not the end. Just remember that NET is not the end.

PostPosted: Tue November 22nd, 2011, 04:07 GMT 

Yeah, but what I mean is nobody will be intact--not Tony, not George, not Charlie. They'd probably find other work & be booked themselves when Bob decides to resume touring.

If Bob is really gonna take 2012 off, that is.

PostPosted: Tue November 22nd, 2011, 06:02 GMT 

How reliable of a source is this? This talk crops up at the end of every year.
Then again, I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Tue November 22nd, 2011, 10:59 GMT 

I can confirm OP's prediction, I have a similar connection who has also informed me that this may be the end of the NET. Of course I'm not telling you it IS just passing on what insiders are saying...don't shoot the messenger....

PostPosted: Tue November 22nd, 2011, 11:19 GMT 

Sorry to put an end to such speculation but it is my understanding that they are looking at Spring US dates.

PostPosted: Tue November 22nd, 2011, 11:24 GMT 

Everybody expects Dylan to just keep on keeping on. When did he ever do what we expect. A year off right now would allow him to recharge his batteries, create fresh interest in what he is up to and provide an opportunity to change his show. Apart from failing pipes he appears fit. With some kind of corrective surgery and a rest he might come back renewed. Given the choice I reckon he would prefer to skip a year to gain the chance to return and play for longer. I have to say that while he played fewer shows this year, he has been just about everywhere, some places twice.

Seeing him in Melbourne in April he was loathe to leave the stage. He lingered and gave a long wave. Guy next to me said that he was waving goodbye for good. Lets hope he does what is good for him. He has given so much over the years.

PostPosted: Tue November 22nd, 2011, 11:56 GMT 

Zimbiosis wrote:
I can confirm OP's prediction, I have a similar connection who has also informed me that this may be the end of the NET. Of course I'm not telling you it IS just passing on what insiders are saying...don't shoot the messenger....

Yeah, looks like yesterday was the end of a decade. Perhaps middle late 2012 more.
My source doesnt say that there wil be no more shows, but that nothing is planned. All through the years the plans for a leg started 8-10 months before the first show.
Only exception was summer 1997 because of his sickness. The late 1997 shows were already planned before his sickness.

It's different than the past 20 years and that's unusual.

PostPosted: Tue November 22nd, 2011, 12:15 GMT 

Nosferatu wrote:
My source doesnt say that there wil be no more shows, but that nothing is planned. All through the years the plans for a leg started 8-10 months before the first show.

does this mean the negotiations started 8-10 months before the shows, or that the contracts were already signed then and the actual concrete preparations took 8-10 months? (i´m simply curious, because the way the "business" works does interest me)

PostPosted: Tue November 22nd, 2011, 12:33 GMT 

shosha wrote:
does this mean the negotiations started 8-10 months before the shows, or that the contracts were already signed then and the actual concrete preparations took 8-10 months? (i´m simply curious, because the way the "business" works does interest me)

The negotiations and planning. The contracts and preperations usually 4-7 months.

Other big artists start planning 12-15 months before a tour. BD agency is usually very fast.

PostPosted: Tue November 22nd, 2011, 14:24 GMT 

Bob's a sentimental fellow, as last night's encore showed. I'm sure if he was to stop touring, he'd throw many more surprises into the mix this year, to say thanks to and please the devoted following.

I fully expect another tour to begin in March/April. My sources include my hunch, which is always right about half of the time.

PostPosted: Tue November 22nd, 2011, 19:49 GMT 
Promethium Member

What about the Petty tour?

PostPosted: Tue November 22nd, 2011, 20:00 GMT 

Nosferatu wrote:
It's different than the past 20 years and that's unusual.

Hey, if he keeps on changing that's good.
I'd like to see him try something different. I mean he's more or less done the same schtick for more than 20 years now.

If he keeps on performing he could play small gigs in clubs accompanied by a new young band (jazz trio? :shock: :mrgreen: ).

Or in case his voice is really as broken as it seems to most, maybe it's time to bust out some beat poetry. 8)

PostPosted: Tue November 22nd, 2011, 20:54 GMT 

Bluish wrote:
Nosferatu wrote:

I'd like to see him try something different. I mean he's more or less done the same schtick for more than 20 years now.

Or in case his voice is really as broken as it seems to most, maybe it's time to bust out some beat poetry. 8)

Good idea, or BobRap.

PostPosted: Tue November 22nd, 2011, 21:01 GMT 

Im sure Bob is not stopping. He might wait till arpil or something but once Feburary rolls around he'll be bored to death if he dont tour :lol:

PostPosted: Tue November 22nd, 2011, 22:52 GMT 
Promethium Member

Rumor has it there is an extended tour being finalised for next year with Tom Petty. It's said to be 78 dates, but I'm sure that's not going to be in one go.

PostPosted: Tue November 22nd, 2011, 22:56 GMT 

Johanna did you not come to London in the end? Several of us were looking for you and were sad to have missed you.

PostPosted: Tue November 22nd, 2011, 23:32 GMT 

two people say 'insiderish' news is 'nothing's planned' - though march april 2012 is 4-5 months away still, but they say 5 months is usual to plan

ones says spring US being looked at

awhile back i think a paraguay, SAmerica at least, newspaper implied him going there

bob needs to do what he needs to do

playing music is his gift to the world

PostPosted: Tue November 22nd, 2011, 23:35 GMT 
Promethium Member

Oh sure, I was there. I even hung around most of the day even though I was among the lucky early entry crowd (MK.com tickets). Sorry we missed each other. I'm not convinced there's not going to be a next time. In fact, these threads are pretty tasteless.

PostPosted: Tue November 22nd, 2011, 23:42 GMT 

You think he`s past his prime - over the hill ?

PostPosted: Wed November 23rd, 2011, 03:51 GMT 
Promethium Member

South America again would be great, but unfortunately I think it's going to be a Spring/Summer US tour. And spring will be here before we know it, so have faith. I pity those that crave the dark side. Don't ya know it's gonna be...alright!

PostPosted: Wed November 23rd, 2011, 03:58 GMT 
Titanium Member

Of course it's not the end. It's not even a legit question. Applause junkies don't stop until they're forced to. And that's not happening, yet. He CAN'T stop.

PostPosted: Tue May 15th, 2012, 01:39 GMT 
Promethium Member

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
P. Pittsburgh Joe wrote:
If Bob does take 2012 off from touring, it will be interesting to see what happens to the band.

BUT, get over it people. It's not the end, not the end. Just remember that NET is not the end.

Well, well, well. Read this thread to see how off base we can be in our speculation from 78-show Petty rumors to US Spring tours...
The only thing we knew for sure is that it'd keep on keepin' on...

PostPosted: Fri June 1st, 2012, 22:07 GMT 
Promethium Member

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
The only thing we knew for sure is that it'd keep on keepin' on...

With Europe back on the horizon.