Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun April 20th, 2014, 05:56 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu November 17th, 2011, 16:00 GMT 

It occurs to me that the current Al Santos introduction at the concert is getting heavily outdated. Why does it end with " who suddenly shifted gears releasing some of the strongest music of his career beginning in the late '90s" What bout the 2000nds? We're almost 12 years into the new century... So what should they add to the intro?

what about something like this?

"In the 2000nds he dressed up as Santa, released a Christmas album and gave all the money away to the poor... Ladies and Gentlemen Columbia Recording artist... "

PostPosted: Thu November 17th, 2011, 16:03 GMT 

:lol:

By the way , i love that intro. Very Dylanesque!

PostPosted: Thu November 17th, 2011, 16:03 GMT 
Promethium Member

They should bin the whole story. A plain "Please welcome Bob Dylan" would do.

PostPosted: Thu November 17th, 2011, 16:07 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:

No no no... The intro is epic. You're missing the point johanna 8)

PostPosted: Thu November 17th, 2011, 16:08 GMT 
Mercury Member

Blind Boy Zimmerman wrote:
It occurs to me that the current Al Santos introduction at the concert is getting heavily outdated. Why does it end with " who suddenly shifted gears releasing some of the strongest music of his career beginning in the late '90s" What bout the 2000nds? We're almost 12 years into the new century... So what should they add to the intro?

"In the 2000nds he dressed up as Santa, released a Christmas album and gave all the money away to the poor... Ladies and Gentlemen Columbia Recording artist... "

'....did some of his best work, beginning and ending in the late nineties. After that he's been surfing a warm rosy glow of uncritical support, content to knock out increasingly derivative, crappily titled and artworked albums and abominable charity efforts and let his live show descend into a twilight zone of beyond-parody pantomine cruelty and befuddlement. Ladies and Gentlemen, raise your screaming wallets to the roof and welcome the one and only BOOOOOB DYLAN!!!! No, louder, he has to follow the noise or he gets lost backstage!!! BOOOOOB DYLAN!!!! Sigh..."

PostPosted: Thu November 17th, 2011, 16:09 GMT 

Bennyboy wrote:

'....did some of his best work, beginning and ending in the late nineties. After that he's been surfing a warm rosy glow of uncritical support, content to knock out increasingly derivative, crappily titled and artworked albums and abominable charity efforts and let his live show descend into a twilight zone of beyond-parody pantomine cruelty and befuddlement. Ladies and Gentlemen, raise your screaming wallets to the roof and welcome the one and only BOOOOOB DYLAN!!!! No, louder, he has to follow the noise or he gets lost backstage!!! BOOOOOB DYLAN!!!! Sigh..."

:evil:

PostPosted: Thu November 17th, 2011, 16:15 GMT 
Mercury Member

they could add....... "a music legend.... an accomplished visual artist.... a Pultizer prize winning author.......a winner of too many awards to list..... and is still getting the girls :P ..... Columbia recording artist....."

PostPosted: Thu November 17th, 2011, 16:17 GMT 
Mercury Member

Lily Rose wrote:
they could add....... "a music legend.... an accomplished visual artist.... a Pultizer prize winning author.......a winner of too many awards to list..... and is still getting the girls :P ..... Columbia recording artist....."

And he's still got his own face!

PostPosted: Thu November 17th, 2011, 16:17 GMT 

Uncritical support?
He's criticized all the time.

PostPosted: Thu November 17th, 2011, 16:23 GMT 
Promethium Member

Tragos114 wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:

I don't think so. Would you want your boss to introduce you as a has-been and drug addict every day? It's humiliating.

PostPosted: Thu November 17th, 2011, 16:27 GMT 
Mercury Member

Giada wrote:
Uncritical support?
He's criticized all the time.

Only by real humans with ears, not in the media or by the majority of freaks in here.

PostPosted: Thu November 17th, 2011, 16:34 GMT 
Mercury Member

Johanna Parker wrote:
I don't think so. Would you want your boss to introduce you as a has-been and drug addict every day? It's humiliating.

If only....

PostPosted: Thu November 17th, 2011, 16:54 GMT 
Mercury Member

In a word, yes. It is outdated and time for something new... I agree with JP, a simple "Please welcome Bob Dylan" is all that is needed at this point.

PostPosted: Thu November 17th, 2011, 17:41 GMT 
Titanium Member

Bennyboy wrote:

You're on a real tear today, Benny!! I know - you're just excited about Bob coming to your town :lol: Thanks for giving me a smile today :D

PostPosted: Thu November 17th, 2011, 18:06 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
Tragos114 wrote:

It's dylanesque...

PostPosted: Thu November 17th, 2011, 18:12 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Johanna Parker wrote:

I don't think so. Would you want your boss to introduce you as a has-been and drug addict every day? It's humiliating.[/quote][/quote]
Yeah, but he obviously has a good sense of humor about it otherwise it wouldn't be part of the show.

PostPosted: Thu November 17th, 2011, 18:14 GMT 

I liked it when it was just, "Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Columbia recording artist: Bob Dylan."

PostPosted: Thu November 17th, 2011, 18:32 GMT 

Tragos114 wrote:
:lol:

By the way , i love that intro. Very Dylanesque!

That's really good, Blind Boy- I agree with Tragos!

& Disagree with JohannaP! The intro is foundational- and the suspenseful music was good, too. I like it better with all the wrappings-It's more fun, more eventful-like the difference in being given something nicely wrapped-how it makes the present better- A lot of fun to have the expectation built even higher that they are about to appear in front of you! AND, I especially like the way that guy says "Bob Dylan", so downbeat at the end of the build up. It really was exciting to hear it the first time, especially!

PostPosted: Thu November 17th, 2011, 20:00 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:

:D

PostPosted: Thu November 17th, 2011, 20:17 GMT 

Clearly, Dylan regards this intro as a kind of joke - I don't really see how it would bother him to be called a "coke-addict" or "a has-been". I like to think that Dylan just doesn't care about such things. Furthermore, wasn't it him who chose this quote as intro?

Anyway, I kind of like the intro. Especially since I saw the white bearded fellow actually say it at the show in Munich - (btw. I'm not really sure, but I think I saw someone who looked like him before the Nuremberg show riding a bike near the arena).

As far as an update of the intro is concerned: "....releasing some of the strongest music of his career beginning in the late nineties... and who has managed to disappoint Bennyboy since the early 2000s. Ladies and gentlemen.... Columbia recording artist... Bob Dylan."

PostPosted: Fri November 18th, 2011, 02:28 GMT 

XRaylroad wrote:

As far as an update of the intro is concerned: "....releasing some of the strongest music of his career beginning in the late nineties... and who has managed to disappoint Bennyboy since the early 2000s. Ladies and gentlemen.... Columbia recording artist... Bob Dylan."

Hearing that would be worth the price of admission alone! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri November 18th, 2011, 03:39 GMT 

Heeeeeere's Bobby!

PostPosted: Fri November 18th, 2011, 05:05 GMT 

I'm going to make a 10cd boxset of all the intros - should be reviting listening!!

PostPosted: Fri November 18th, 2011, 05:21 GMT 
Titanium Member

Well, "the Al Santos intro isn't long enough!" is certainly a new one...

I say scrap the whole thing and replace it with pre-recorded Ellen Barkin intros in the style of Theme Time.

PostPosted: Fri November 18th, 2011, 06:10 GMT 

Bennyboy, you're a smart one all told... but you don't half talk some crap sometimes! :wink: