Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu April 24th, 2014, 08:25 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 902 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
PostPosted: Thu October 20th, 2011, 17:05 GMT 

to recap-

-our cherished home-scholar-gone-national-npr-dylan-commentator Fred says bob's a brat america, but he's honest with me about it so get some soap and the new book he's(no, now it's become bob's, that Thief! nevermind) got coming out (er,maybe) house-peoples with big stereo sets and tv's too

-michael gray and happy academics rush in conjuring deep -- stew up a beatiful look of country parisian folie-grasssy face searching for a new pejorative like oh let's see will -judas do?, but we have a new book on just this! coming out - and we sure do like his looks, did we mention that?

-warmuth says bob is a rebel twirling his triumph in wheelies in the school parking lot for us - he's BRMC

-and the Harem of many Beauties all say i've seen his privates! and you ain't gonna get the goods till you pay your quid budro!!

my kind of deso row! keep up the show buds - we love it!!!

Bob world is the best!!!

upon edit: no this is not a semioticalicomical sarcastic post - i really do love our cast of bob-ro's - we ain't no stinkin' (name corporate rockstar) consummerists!!

PostPosted: Thu October 20th, 2011, 22:48 GMT 

deso row, well there is a lot to see, and think, and feel, all around you. it can get you down... beware, but don't be afraid, i tell myself... it's ok to learn. i am not writing anything, but to those who are, again, wrap it in glory. thanks for hearing me out

PostPosted: Thu October 20th, 2011, 23:36 GMT 

ifitwastruetennessee wrote:

What's the significance of this link :?:

PostPosted: Fri October 21st, 2011, 00:13 GMT 

good question, let's look around

PostPosted: Fri October 21st, 2011, 20:47 GMT 

I like this thread, it's sort of a detective story... 8)

PostPosted: Sat October 22nd, 2011, 15:19 GMT 

you mean a macguffin... for me it feels like coincidence, maybe far from the stuff that dreams are made of

PostPosted: Mon October 24th, 2011, 15:03 GMT 

I'm conflicted about posting the following links from the "Photocritic International" blog as the writer, an "A.D. Coleman," seems to have a case of self-infatuation to the point where you wish he and his ego would go find a room and consummate their relationship. And then there's the egregious attack on Johanna Parker which seems to be triggered by that fact that she was quoted by WNYC and Mr. Coleman wasn't.

Nevertheless, I'm trying to keep a record of the story, so for those interested, here are the links, in order to date:

http://nearbycafe.com/artandphoto/photocritic/?p=8893

http://nearbycafe.com/artandphoto/photocritic/?p=8917

http://nearbycafe.com/artandphoto/photocritic/?p=9071

http://nearbycafe.com/artandphoto/photocritic/?p=8966

PostPosted: Mon October 24th, 2011, 15:20 GMT 

Leocadia wrote:
For that matter, how do we know that he painted the Asia Series? I personally have my doubts.

Well , for that matter , we don't even know if he wrote the chronicles. But i think he did.
If he wanted to make a lot of money by selling some fake paintings , i'm sure he could hire some artists who wouldn't paint from photos . No, i'm pretty sure he painted the Asia Series

PostPosted: Mon October 24th, 2011, 15:28 GMT 

Location: Lower Slobbovia, Slob Nobbin' with the common Bob Slobs
Tragos114 wrote:
Leocadia wrote:
For that matter, how do we know that he painted the Asia Series? I personally have my doubts.

Well , for that matter , we don't even know if he wrote the chronicles. But i think he did.
If he wanted to make a lot of money by selling some fake paintings , i'm sure he could hire some artists who wouldn't paint from photos . No, i'm pretty sure he painted the Asia Series

Isn't it nice that we can co-exist here on Expecting Rain and respect each others difference of opinion?
You are always so respectful and polite, Tragos. A very calming influence here.

As to the paintings, I'm not sure I care anymore who painted them or how or why.
I used to care, but things have changed. :D I just want to listen to Dylan's music.
I'm always moved to a better place when I do.

PostPosted: Mon October 24th, 2011, 15:55 GMT 

Leocadia wrote:
Tragos114 wrote:

Isn't it nice that we can co-exist here on Expecting Rain and respect each others difference of opinion?
You are always so respectful and polite, Tragos. A very calming influence here.

As to the paintings, I'm not sure I care anymore who painted them or how or why.
I used to care, but things have changed. :D I just want to listen to Dylan's music.
I'm always moved to a better place when I do.

Thanks , Leocadia . I always enjoy reading your posts , you write really well . :)

PostPosted: Mon October 24th, 2011, 16:00 GMT 
Titanium Member

honey can i jump on it sometime?
i just wanna see if it's really the expensive kind
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine

PostPosted: Tue October 25th, 2011, 01:43 GMT 

he sure has been playing that song a lot, and there have been a fair number of crazy dictators... they always have some crazy style thing going on... anyway, don't know what you meant- it just made me think of that.

PostPosted: Tue October 25th, 2011, 11:58 GMT 

when i think of that vietnam piece, i can't approach it like a puzzle really, because i am no good at those. I think the words feel sinister, well for me I start with that feeling. some of his work seems to be about illusion and trickery, about getting drawn in to something that seems good but is really not, and things that seem one way, but are really another. when i think of the music he has been playing lately, a lot of it seems to be about things like this- very apt for these modern times

Well, God is in His heaven
And we all want what’s his
But power and greed and corruptible seed
Seem to be all that there is

PostPosted: Tue October 25th, 2011, 20:37 GMT 
Mercury Member

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/alexa-mead ... slideshow/

add some more fuel to this neverending fire..... :P

so what is this..... painting on real people and then taking pics of them :shock:

PostPosted: Tue October 25th, 2011, 20:56 GMT 

:lol: so funny Lily Rose and I can see Bob engaging in this new technique. It really stops time doesn't it? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue October 25th, 2011, 20:58 GMT 

[quote="Lily Rose"

so what is this..... painting on real people and then taking pics of them :shock:[/quote]

My favorite is still Richard Prince's ploy, which is taking a photograph of an existing photograph and then claiming the "rephotograph" is a new work of art, commenting on the original. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue October 25th, 2011, 22:06 GMT 

thanks lily rose that is spooky - more spooky that she is so highly rated, repped by a gold standard gallery and never took an art class!!

hey more power to her, she's sincere at least, that's all i ask

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexa_Meade

yea fred, richard prince - what a piece of work he is, he thinks he's got andy's cahones, i thought it hilarious that bob had him do the interview for the NY show, like talking to andy's ghost through him somehow

very Raebenesque, swweeett.

PostPosted: Tue October 25th, 2011, 22:34 GMT 

i really like alexa meade's idea and how she did it. ideally, aren't we all works of art in the image of creation, and for me, b. dylans work makes me think about trying to see beyond and below the surface, to see how a thing is being presented to you, and then trying to see the real essence of the thing. maybe we have to be reminded sometimes that we are seeing a copy of something, an amalgamation of things, a mask- and what is under it all. Bob takes a copy of a photo, and makes a painting of it, but it's not the same thing, or maybe it is, but it is presented differently- it is a different way to see it. A painting that maybe tries to go deeper than the surface, than the physical reality, than the photo copy, that gets at something more. Something which defies space and time, maybe some things never die, it's still there, ready to be conjured up- anyway, just a thought

PostPosted: Tue October 25th, 2011, 22:37 GMT 

nice tennessee, well said!

PostPosted: Wed October 26th, 2011, 02:45 GMT 

well thanks, but everything i have said is very general and could be completely off base with regard to his work. i just get reminded of those ideas with the things he does, but i don't specifically have any idea what the words in the vietnam piece mean. I have to keep kind of thinking about that i guess. looking at those life magazines is fascinating though, kind of puts you in a trance- things haven't changed much have they

PostPosted: Sat October 29th, 2011, 21:13 GMT 

i think dylan's work has been about being asleep since the beginning. the whole cadillac car, victoria secret thing. I always thought it was a way to make something outrageous, something that would really get people riled up and questioning where things were going. I don't know, i have to look it up, to see if there was much reaction to it. some people probably thought it was selling out, others saw it as the american way. people see stuff on tv, and they want to become it. women who want to be a v."angel", and men who want to be with that. sex drugs and rockandroll, it really gets big ratings. But i don't know if people questioned it too much. Of course i could be wrong, and if i am i am sorry, but i really don't think it was just for money or power on dylan's part. I think it was a comment on those things.

The joyce c. oates thing- what happens next. People want to follow what ever seems new and exciting, dangerous even, it is an escape from the bleakness around them. It can lead them to all kinds of crazy thoughts and actions. It is like being hypnotised, and you don't even know it is happening. Life magazine was a way a lot of people found out about what was happening in the world. But who was running that, and what was their agenda. I like reading scott w. blog, and kees de graf, because i think they generally have an idea of where dylan is going, but they could be wrong about things. I don't know what they "code" to the vietnam piece and the asia series is, but i am wondering does anyone have any ideas that go beyond plagerism. Is it wrong to guess?

PostPosted: Sat October 29th, 2011, 22:46 GMT 

Great posts ifitwastruetennessee :D
It is very strange that I made more or less the same reflections during the last concert of Bob I went to.
I've read a review of another concert of this fall tour that alludes to what you're saying. I'm trying to find it.
Keep searching

PostPosted: Sun October 30th, 2011, 00:11 GMT 

thanks for your comment wedding, you too

PostPosted: Mon October 31st, 2011, 01:45 GMT 

if it seems like i am tying to find out whether this art is good or not, i am not, i don't see any reason yet to doubt it. I just stand in admiration, and if it is a figment of my imagination, I want to say... more power to it, my imagination, i mean. well, should that cause concern, am I confusing what i feel with some kind of truth.... just thinking.... sorry if this is out of line or something

PostPosted: Mon October 31st, 2011, 03:20 GMT 

ifitwastruetennessee wrote:
if it seems like i am tying to find out whether this art is good or not, i am not, i don't see any reason yet to doubt it. I just stand in admiration, and if it is a figment of my imagination, I want to say... more power to it, my imagination, i mean. well, should that cause concern, am I confusing what i feel with some kind of truth.... just thinking.... sorry if this is out of line or something
LOL not at all - it reminds me of Greil Marcus's "profound, disturbed wonder" at Astral Weeks. That's a compliment!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 902 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next