Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon October 23rd, 2017, 04:09 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
PostPosted: Wed October 12th, 2011, 16:25 GMT 

I headed up from London to Notts show last night. Really enjoyed it but it wasn't one of the really Dylan transendental shows that happens when everything just seems to catch fire between band, Bob and audience - if you've been to quite a few Dylan shows, you know what i mean.

Bit of an odd vibe - it's one of those horrid arenas - but dispite being virtually full, the atmosphere was a bit flat. To be honest, having chatted to quite a few people, I think MK's set kind of knocked the stuffing out of people. I didn't see him but people were saying it was just soooo boring and never seemed to end.

Bob sang really well and was focussed and the latest arrangements are stimulating - Visions of J was really odd and they only just about got thru Love Sick in one piece. Dunno if BD was pissed at the band but he really rushed the band intros and while he did it he kept playing the organ so it drowned out what he was saying resulting in people not really hearing the intros and the guys not getting much appreciation from the crowd - odd eh?

PostPosted: Wed October 12th, 2011, 16:35 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
I can't see Bob being too keen on someone who's snooping around writing a diary. The common rule seems to be, just leave him alone.

my guess is he ain't even aware bout the diary, who would tell him anyways? don't think mark busies himself talking about that. prolly talking books or something...

PostPosted: Wed October 12th, 2011, 16:44 GMT 

interesting post by a fan on Guy Fletchers' forum:
"Say hi to Tony Garnier for me, we helped him out on a pre-amp for his upright bass a while ago and my wife and I had the pleasure of spending a wonderful evening with him backstage at a Bob show a year or so ago. Tony explained Bob's dilemma to me that night pointing out just how careful he has to be when he is dealing with the world in general, you should have him explain it to you. If Bob didn't erect a few barriers around himself he would never make it to the bathroom without having to discuss the backstory behind Tangled Up In Blue. It's a lot tougher being Bob Dylan than any of us realize methinks. You should post a pic if you can of Tony's upright bass, the quarter sawn spruce top on it is just a beautiful sight to see... "
and the reply:
You're right of course..about Bob.

so tony can talk to the outside world bout Bob?

PostPosted: Wed October 12th, 2011, 16:51 GMT 
Promethium Member

pottel wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:
I can't see Bob being too keen on someone who's snooping around writing a diary. The common rule seems to be, just leave him alone.

my guess is he ain't even aware bout the diary, who would tell him anyways? don't think mark busies himself talking about that. prolly talking books or something...

If he wasn't aware of it yesterday, I'm sure he will be soon.

About Tony, it appears from the post that he was talking to a trusted collegue, and it wasn't like he was spreading personal details about Bob.

PostPosted: Wed October 12th, 2011, 17:11 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:

one answer of guy in his forum (to james s. from halifax, if you want to take a look):
Quote:
I think I'm going to leave Bob alone now.

so i think guy fletcher, too, is reading our threads here on expecting rain :lol:

PostPosted: Wed October 12th, 2011, 17:17 GMT 
Promethium Member

^^^
Yeah, I guess.

PostPosted: Wed October 12th, 2011, 19:05 GMT 

sugartramp wrote:
I headed up from London to Notts show last night. Really enjoyed it but it wasn't one of the really Dylan transendental shows that happens when everything just seems to catch fire between band, Bob and audience - if you've been to quite a few Dylan shows, you know what i mean.

Bit of an odd vibe - it's one of those horrid arenas - but dispite being virtually full, the atmosphere was a bit flat. To be honest, having chatted to quite a few people, I think MK's set kind of knocked the stuffing out of people. I didn't see him but people were saying it was just soooo boring and never seemed to end.

Bob sang really well and was focussed and the latest arrangements are stimulating - Visions of J was really odd and they only just about got thru Love Sick in one piece. Dunno if BD was pissed at the band but he really rushed the band intros and while he did it he kept playing the organ so it drowned out what he was saying resulting in people not really hearing the intros and the guys not getting much appreciation from the crowd - odd eh?

Yeah out of all the UK seated venues I've been to, Nottingham's my least favourite. Didn't go this time, but the last tour or two Nottingham has seemed a bit flat to me, compared with the other venues. Out of the seated arenas I always prefer Birmingham.

PostPosted: Wed October 12th, 2011, 19:08 GMT 

That's odd, I'm sure I remember thinking last time in Nottingham the crowd seemed a bit subdued. Has it always been like that in Nottingham? Maybe it's the people of Nottingham, or how the seats are arranged.

PostPosted: Wed October 12th, 2011, 20:03 GMT 

I thought it was flat too, and just put it down to a part Dylan/part MK crowd. I got the impression that Bob rushed the intro's because they were past curfew - same reason they skipped the encore break. I wonder if they are really strict on the curfew in Notts? I saw Ryan Adams a few years ago in Notts & he was told to cut his set short and get off at about 10.30.

PostPosted: Wed October 12th, 2011, 20:15 GMT 

Good stuff, thanks for that spell binder. Haha that's funny about you not being able to remember the name of the song, I'd never thought about that, I suppose you do feel a bit of pressure when you can sense the weight of expectation at the other end of your phone.. well thanks for taking the time to text, sometimes it isn't the first thing you want to be doing whilst watching Bob, I appreciate it.

So watchtower was straight after thin man? Didn't someone say it was the other way aroud at bob.com? This thing about them running out of time makes sense.. Maybe they knew didn't have much time and thought they would have to finish straight after watchtower, but then played LARS afterwards.. Bob came on a bit earlier than in the other shows didn't he? Like someone said, maybe it was a time thing.

Are you going to any more shows this tour, spell binder?

Yes watchtower was first and then LARS so BD.com is wrong on that score but whoever informed Bill Pagel got it right as well....

Sadly no more shows this tour for me..I normally go to two or three but at £65 a ticket had to limit it to one this time I'm afraid...Shame as I have been to the last couple of Cardiff shows too !

PostPosted: Thu October 13th, 2011, 09:50 GMT 

After listening to the show, I think it was a case of better setlist than performance

PostPosted: Thu October 13th, 2011, 11:23 GMT 

Haven't listened yet but it was his fourth consecutive show and 5th in 6 nights...surely his vocal can't be as good as the first couple of shows as a result?

PostPosted: Sat October 15th, 2011, 12:41 GMT 
Promethium Member

^I've been saving my listening for tonight but I don't think that's at all a given. Just like the idea that he sings better at the beginning of a tour - sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't. I haven't heard many whoops and hollers about this performance, so maybe you're right, but I look forward to finding out for myself :D

PostPosted: Wed July 12th, 2017, 03:52 GMT 
Promethium Member

It turned out to be a real good one. My standouts from the audio were Tangled and a really different and inspired ERK. There is excellent video now on dime: http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=596080

I imagine this will be on youtube pretty quick, too.

PostPosted: Wed July 12th, 2017, 04:58 GMT 

Think you posted on the wrong thread Smoke? This is the Nottingham, 2011 thread and you seem to have heard/seen Nottingham 2017 which I can confirm was a cracker of a show.

PostPosted: Wed July 12th, 2017, 05:17 GMT 
Promethium Member

DAMMIT!

PostPosted: Wed July 12th, 2017, 11:26 GMT 
Titanium Member

Nottingham 2011 was great though, with a really unusual setlist.

PostPosted: Wed July 12th, 2017, 14:56 GMT 
Titanium Member

smoke wrote:
DAMMIT!

You mean, Damn NET!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14