Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu May 24th, 2018, 00:38 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu April 26th, 2018, 01:47 GMT 
Mercury Member

Held near Schwenksville Pa., for 50 some years.
I recently spent an afternoon with some folks that live in said town and attend the festival every year. We got to talking about it and they were saying that lots of big names have played there so I asked, "has Dylan played there"? They immediately responded, "Yes!"

I'm no expert on Bob's entire performing career but I've never heard mention of this venue. What say the experts?

PostPosted: Thu April 26th, 2018, 03:08 GMT 
Titanium Member

Among the organizers of that first fest was Gene Shay, now 81, a Temple and Penn grad who has hosted folk radio shows here since 1962 and helped design the festival’s original smiling-banjo logo. Shay brought Bob Dylan to the Philly area for the first time, in 1963, and as part of his job in advertising wrote the radio commercials for Woodstock. Shay served as master of ceremonies for the festival for half a century.

PostPosted: Thu April 26th, 2018, 03:10 GMT 
Titanium Member

Nothing here:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=82929

PostPosted: Thu April 26th, 2018, 03:35 GMT 

Gene Shay, the man who has been the public voice of the festival since Day 1: "Bob Dylan has never performed, although he did show up once accompanying David Bromberg. He just hung out backstage wearing sunglasses and kept a low profile."

https://lancasteronline.com/features/en ... 8e388.html

PostPosted: Thu April 26th, 2018, 17:09 GMT 

If my memory serves it was 1972. The Folk Festival depends on volunteers working at various places like the entrances, parking lots and performers lots. They can be very strict. As an example how strict, I think it was in '89, I was covering the festival for a regional music paper, East Coast Rocker (AKAThe Aquarian. I had an all access press pass. So I get there, park my car in the lot, go up to the toll booth-like gate, and some guy starts freaking out and yelling at me that I'm going in the wrong gate. What difference did it make?

Anyway, here's the real story that Gene Shay kind of has wrong. On the final night of the festival with Dave Bromberg was closing out, Bromberg pulls up to the performers gate with a car full of people. A friend of mine volunteering at the festival was working at the gate. One of the people in the back seat did not have a pass. The person who did not have the pass kept telling her, "I think it will be alright." Finally she let Bromberg pass into the performers parking lot. After the car went into the lot, another person working the gate says to her, "Don't you know who that was?"

So Dylan was hanging out in the backstage area (which the festival goers could see partly), and was going to do a guest set with Bromberg. But at some point in the night civil rights activist and singer Fannie Lou Hamer was doing her set, and happened to say, "I was talking to Bob Dylan backstage." According to those who were backstage, the minute she said that, Dylan was out of there in a shot. And that is the story of how Bob Dylan didn't play the Philly Folk Festival.

PostPosted: Fri April 27th, 2018, 05:40 GMT 

Great story, PSB. And it sounds very believable to me. At least it shows the reaction I would expect from our hero...

PostPosted: Sun April 29th, 2018, 17:30 GMT 

The story of Bob's visit to the Philadelphia Folk Festival is more involved and will be one of the stories in the soon to be available book Smiling Banjo: A Half Century of Love and Music at the Philadelphia Folk Festival. The full story involves David Bromberg (as mentioned above but more involved), Gene Shay, Paula Ballan (long time volunteer and programming chair at the time), Mike McGrath (from You Bet your Garden, but also a longtime volunteer on the Security Committee) and Janis Ian. Bob did not play on the main stage, but various people may have bumped into him without knowing it and if you had been lucky enough to be a performer back at the hotel that year....... Look for the book coming out in August. I had the opportunity to interview all the above people to get as complete and (mostly) accurate story of Dylan's visit to the Philadelphia Folk Festival. It was interesting hearing everyone's encounter and finally seeing a more complete picture when you put everyone's perspective together.

Eric Ring

:D