Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri May 25th, 2018, 18:58 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue April 24th, 2018, 10:55 GMT 

Been listening to JWH a lot recently and personally I think it's one of his most fascinating albums with all its mystic lyrics and just how starkly it contrasts with the previous album blonde on blonde.

I know the album has a lot of religious imagery to it and I also read somewhere that Dylan had a large copy of the King James Bible open on a pedestal in his study whilst he wrote the album

My knowledge of the bible however is extremely limited and was wondering if anyone out there had picked up that particular lyrics reference certain bible verses or even entire stories in the bible. Would love to have a read through the bits that may have inspired his writing at this time.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue April 24th, 2018, 14:44 GMT 

https://youtu.be/L0Tckg686L4

PostPosted: Wed April 25th, 2018, 06:24 GMT 

Some lines in Immigrant come from the Book of Leviticus, chapter 26.
Then you have Proverbs 13, vers 17 : "A wicked messenger falleth into mischief".

But there is much more: wikipedia tells me that there are fifteen biblical allusions in Frankie Lee alone.

PostPosted: Wed April 25th, 2018, 13:19 GMT 

Try and find a copy of "Isaiah for Guitar" by Robin Witting. It is a good and thorough exploration of this topic.

https://www.worldcat.org/title/isaiah-o ... y-harding/

PostPosted: Wed April 25th, 2018, 19:03 GMT 

[quote="WrittenInMySoul"]Some lines in Immigrant come from the Book of Leviticus, chapter 26.
Then you have Proverbs 13, vers 17 : "A wicked messenger falleth into mischief".

Interestingly enough, as much as Dylan likes to put whoever is interviewing him on in interviews (some of the time), most of the things he's said about JWH, such as the "I" is another, and that he is not in the songs turned out to be true.

"I Pity The Poor Immigrant" is one of the great examples of this, and a hell of a lot of Dylan writers have gotten it wrong. Shelton said it was about Vietnam. Richard Thomas says somewhere in his book, "a compassionate look at immigrants." When you find the relevant quotes in the Book of Leviticus, which are in The Blessings of Obedience," the song becomes quite clear, because it becomes obvious that the "I" singing the song is God (talking to Moses), the immigrant is the Jews in the desert during Exodus. It's really a brilliant example of how Dylan works, and the thought that goes into his songs.

PostPosted: Wed April 25th, 2018, 19:17 GMT 
Titanium Member

^ Yup - ring them bells

Last edited by effort on Wed April 25th, 2018, 19:25 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed April 25th, 2018, 19:24 GMT 

PSB wrote:
WrittenInMySoul wrote:
Some lines in Immigrant come from the Book of Leviticus, chapter 26.

Interestingly enough, as much as Dylan likes to put whoever is interviewing him on in interviews (some of the time), most of the things he's said about JWH, such as the "I" is another, and that he is not in the songs turned out to be true.

"I Pity The Poor Immigrant" is one of the great examples of this, and a hell of a lot of Dylan writers have gotten it wrong. Shelton said it was about Vietnam. Richard Thomas says somewhere in his book, "a compassionate look at immigrants." When you find the relevant quotes in the Book of Leviticus, which are in The Blessings of Obedience," the song becomes quite clear, because it becomes obvious that the "I" singing the song is God (talking to Moses), the immigrant is the Jews in the desert during Exodus. It's really a brilliant example of how Dylan works, and the thought that goes into his songs.

Thank you. Another piece of the jigsaw.

PostPosted: Wed April 25th, 2018, 20:01 GMT 
Promethium Member

PSB wrote:
When you find the relevant quotes in the Book of Leviticus, which are in The Blessings of Obedience

I just googled the Obedience thing, and unless I’m mistaken,
it’s a lot of words that basically convey the concept of:
“Do what I say or your f*cked.”
Did I misinterpret it?

PostPosted: Wed April 25th, 2018, 20:33 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
PSB wrote:
When you find the relevant quotes in the Book of Leviticus, which are in The Blessings of Obedience

I just googled the Obedience thing, and unless I’m mistaken,
it’s a lot of words that basically convey the concept of:
“Do what I say or your f*cked.”
Did I misinterpret it?

Not really considering who's doing the saying. :)