Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun May 20th, 2018, 21:55 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu April 26th, 2018, 13:40 GMT 

When Bob was labeled a folk singer, he rocked at Newport. When he was labeled Lucifer for rocking out, he told them they were a liars and he put out some nice country albums. A secular liberal? That was answered by Slow Train Coming and the other two. His critics then claimed ok, he is a great writer but can't sing. So he sings Sinatra and proves them wrong again.

PostPosted: Thu April 26th, 2018, 15:39 GMT 

I can relate to some of the songs but am not very interested in listening. My dad probably likes it being about Bob's age. I don't really get being angry with Bob about it though.

PostPosted: Thu April 26th, 2018, 16:13 GMT 

restless fever wrote:
I can relate to some of the songs but am not very interested in listening. My dad probably likes it being about Bob's age. I don't really get being angry with Bob about it though.

People we know in real life, we have to take the good with the bad, but with Bob's music, we are free to listen to our favorite 2 dozen or so live and studio albums over and over again. Getting angry is silly.

At a concert, a less favored song is time for a beer and bathroom run.

PostPosted: Thu April 26th, 2018, 17:50 GMT 
Titanium Member

mjmooney wrote:
My only nagging doubt about Triplicate is the inclusion of "There's a Flaw in My Flue". When Sinatra recorded it, it was very consciously as a deliberate piece of crap. He included it in the test pressings of an otherwise immaculate album in order to prove his theory that the Columbia bigwigs wouldn't even be able to tell the difference between good and bad music. He was right, they never even noticed. Point proven, he dropped it from the released album, and it didn't come out until many years later as an outtake. Now I'm damn sure Bob knows this story, so I wonder what his motivation was in including it in Triplicate?

Yes, the original CD of the Capitol Close To You, which TAFIMF was the outtake from (not Columbia) contained the track as a bonus track at the end, which Sinatra was reportedly unhappy with. In other words, he still didn't want it out for general release.

I wouldn't be damn sure Dylan knew that story. Some elements of these standards projects are just ripped right from Sinatra, the arrangements, certain lyrical quirks. How much research and thought was really put behind this, I'm not staking too much on. But someone in the know would have pointed it out to him about Flue.

PostPosted: Thu April 26th, 2018, 18:01 GMT 

Sorry, yeah, had a brainfart with Columbia/Capitol.

PostPosted: Thu April 26th, 2018, 20:24 GMT 

How I see it:

Shadows is wonderful, emotional, vast. That Lucky Old Sun gets me every time and is the most beautiful rendition I've heard. 9/10, up there with TOOM and LAT.

Fallen Angels is a mixed bag but a decent follow-up. All the Way and Come Rain or Come Shine are the highlights. 7/10

Triplicate I can do without as I feel the first two albums get across every possible message and are peak outputs from this era. Having said that, Bob's next album of originals would benefit greatly from all of these albums' style, but I get the feeling he's already moving away from it during the NET and so I expect something a little different next time.

PostPosted: Thu April 26th, 2018, 21:14 GMT 

I think we all see that everyday chances of seeing many new Bob songs are flying away as time flies, and that's why some get nervous seing he "loses time" doing such things. But, anyway, I see it as a positive period, as we recovered a fine voice that I didn't even imagined to hear and there are many enjoyable songs in those albums.

I was surprised enjoying Shadows in the Night a lot. I always felt it is a very good album, with its own feeling, as I like. Fallen Angels, though, is boring to me. There is some enjoyable song, but, as an album, I never got into it. It sounded like the things that didn't really fit in Shadows. Triplicate has its own feel again and it is interesting. I never thought Bob could really sing with such instrumentation. A triple album might be too much and of ocurse, among its 30 songs there are some lows, but there are some good highs too.

So:
- Shadows in the Night: great album, refreshing and really enjoyable.
- Fallen Angels: boring and not bringing anything interesting.
- Triplicate: interesting, funny at times, with highs and lows.

Now I don't see him with another album in this style. I don't see what else could it give us. But well... Bob knows how to surprise everyone.

PostPosted: Fri April 27th, 2018, 04:30 GMT 
Promethium Member

Strange, I just made a comp for my brother, a casual Dylan fan who doesn't want it:

Dylan These Days
Nobel Acceptance reading
Why Try To Change Me Now Shadows In The Night
Some Enchanted Evening Shadows In The Night
What'll I Do Shadows In The Night
That Lucky Old Sun Shadows In The Night
Stay With Me Shadows In The Night
All Or Nothing At All 2016-10-30 Paducah - Soomlos Hungryhoss Remaster
Melancholy Mood 2016-10-30 Paducah - Soomlos Hungryhoss Remaster
Here's That Rainy Day Triplicate
It's Funny to Everyone but Me Triplicate
Once Upon a Time Triplicate
I Could Have Told You Triplicate
Autumn Leaves 2017-11-03 Akron, Ohio - E.J. Thomas Hall
Love Sick 2017-11-03 Akron, Ohio - E.J. Thomas Hall

Love Sick doesn't fit the scheme, but it sure kicks ass, and as it followed Autumn Leaves to end the main show it seemed smart to include it to bring the set to a climax. Not sure if this is the best of all possible best-ofs...it flows nicely though.

PostPosted: Mon April 30th, 2018, 17:02 GMT 

Shadows is a legitimately strong effort, but the Law of Diminishing Returns hits hard after that. Anybody who claims to have willingly listened to Triplicate more than, say, three times, is almost certainly a serial killer. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon April 30th, 2018, 17:07 GMT 

Md23Rewls wrote:
Shadows is a legitimately strong effort, but the Law of Diminishing Returns hits hard after that. Anybody who claims to have willingly listened to Triplicate more than, say, three times, is almost certainly a serial killer. :shock:

I listen to Triplicate fairly regularly with great willingness, and get a great deal of enjoyment from it every time. It's really not that much of a leap from Shadows and Fallen Angels to this, you know. In fact, if you're willing to listen, you can actually hear the progression of arrangements and approaches from from the first two albums to this last one. Triplicate is legitimately its own beast. Yes, it contains more adaptations of the Great American Songbook, but it isn't just a retread of the same ground.

I think it's a great record and I'm very glad that Dylan finally explored this avenue that he's wanted to wander down for forty years....

PostPosted: Mon April 30th, 2018, 17:15 GMT 

I love this period and feel spoiled even by all the great recordings and many wonderful live performances from this time.

PostPosted: Mon April 30th, 2018, 17:26 GMT 
Titanium Member

Md23Rewls wrote:

I got through the entirety of it once and that was plenty.

PostPosted: Mon April 30th, 2018, 17:27 GMT 

Md23Rewls wrote:
You'd better stay away from me, then, because I still play it regularly. Rapidly becoming one of my favourite albums.

PostPosted: Mon April 30th, 2018, 19:40 GMT 

mikesnyc wrote:
I think it's been really fantastic, a wonderful period that I never would have thought would happen. That moment when I heard the first track on 'shadows' (I'm a fool to want you) was probably one of the most thrilling sounds in terms of new Dylan recordings since my first play of 'time out of mind' in '97 and 'love and theft' in 2001.

With respect to the three albums, 'fallen angels', for me is the weakest, for some reason. And while not every moment on every album 'works', so much of it does, and so well. These are not easy songs to sing, both from a melodic perspective (sophisticated chord changes and rangy, interesting melodies) and in a way that gets 'inside' the songs, in a non-schmaltzy way, and with a minimum of artifice. Bob, to me, hits it out of the park much of the time, and that focus and energy has carried over to his much more thought-out singing and arranging of some of his original material. His band has hit a new high in translating those Nelson Riddle or Billy May or Gordon Jenkins arrangements to a small string band in a credible and organic way.

I do wish he was doing a wider selection of his older stuff these days, if for no other reason then I think his current voice has so much more control then he had , say, ten years ago. That being said, the 'Sinatra standard' material has been big highlights in the three or four "Sinatra period" live shows of his that I've seen in the last few years. Older stuff has been great, too, but hearing him do 'stormy weather', or 'once upon a time' live has been a special thrill.

These songs will live on, long after so much else has fallen away, and its great to see Bob exploring them. I hope those heady and sophisticated melodic changes make their way to a new set of originals, the way the essence of those two folk albums 'good as i been to you' and 'world gone wrong' informed the creative rebirth of 'time out of mind', but i guess we'll see.....

Great post. I wanted to write much to this effect but you're much better at describing my thoughts.
Hearing Bob sing "Fool" just about does me in every time. Many of the songs do.
For me this was a dream come true. I love all these old songs but I'm just not a big Sinatra fan. Having them come from Bob, and with so much material not just a live one off, I'm one happy x camper.

PostPosted: Fri May 4th, 2018, 03:45 GMT 

mjmooney wrote:
Md23Rewls wrote:
You'd better stay away from me, then, because I still play it regularly. Rapidly becoming one of my favourite albums.

Consider this a confession, Constable.

PostPosted: Sun May 6th, 2018, 05:05 GMT 

Shadows is wonderful, but I like Triplicate even more--its richer, warmer, slightly more relaxed. Disc one--Til the Sun Goes Down--is stunning.

Would love to hear some originals now, like everyone else I guess . . .

PostPosted: Sun May 6th, 2018, 06:03 GMT 

I almost feel I have to say something just to be a friend. Loved the big Surprise; shadows in the night with; Full moon and Come rain or come shine. Love Billie Hollidays version more though.
Fallen angels too. Triplicate some of it. I think it must have been great fun for Bob to sing them and to show his singing. He can do that because he is who he is. I don't listen to triplicate anymore, had it in the car last summer. I think the standards Bob has picked out for the shows, are the best. I would have like to hear: It gets lonely earlier, doesn't it, but in a way its good he did´nt. It would probably have broke me down in a "cry of the year". It always made me :cry: , when I tried to sing it.
When you get older these songs say much about about life and love if you are a romantic one.

Now I hope for, cover of folksongs, or maybe some new song if the muse has been good :P . I t might be too much to ask for, but I still hope for it.

PostPosted: Sun May 6th, 2018, 07:24 GMT 

PiaM wrote:
I would have like to hear: It gets lonely earlier, doesn't it, but in a way its good he did´nt. It would probably have broke me down in a "cry of the year". It always made me :cry: , when I tried to sing it. When you get older these songs say much about about life and love if you are a romantic one.

I hear ya, both about the song and the sentiments of the album. Can't figure out why you don't wish to listen to the album anymore, though.

PostPosted: Sun May 6th, 2018, 13:54 GMT 
Titanium Member

mjmooney wrote:
My only nagging doubt about Triplicate is the inclusion of "There's a Flaw in My Flue". When Sinatra recorded it, it was very consciously as a deliberate piece of crap. He included it in the test pressings of an otherwise immaculate album in order to prove his theory that the Columbia bigwigs wouldn't even be able to tell the difference between good and bad music. He was right, they never even noticed. Point proven, he dropped it from the released album, and it didn't come out until many years later as an outtake. Now I'm damn sure Bob knows this story, so I wonder what his motivation was in including it in Triplicate?

Perhaps to see if his fans would be able to tell the difference between good and bad music...

PostPosted: Mon May 7th, 2018, 20:43 GMT 

Foggy wrote:
PiaM wrote:
I would have like to hear: It gets lonely earlier, doesn't it, but in a way its good he did´nt. It would probably have broke me down in a "cry of the year". It always made me :cry: , when I tried to sing it. When you get older these songs say much about about life and love if you are a romantic one.

I hear ya, both about the song and the sentiments of the album. Can't figure out why you don't wish to listen to the album anymore, though.

To answer your question Foggy; I have listened a lot to Trouble no more, this tour concerts with Bob and the Band and also other music from other artist, I did listen a lot to Triplicate but then I move forward to get other songs in my head.

I also like silence a lot, birdsong, and the sound of the wind moving through all sorts of life and time.