Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun May 27th, 2018, 03:38 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed April 4th, 2018, 15:21 GMT 

Anybody have any idea if the melodic strumming played before the shows is just part of a Things Have Changed intro or if it's an actual musical piece recorded by another artist that Bob likes?

Thanks,

Joe

PostPosted: Wed April 4th, 2018, 19:56 GMT 

Hi Joe!
Yes, the instrumental at the start of the show is 'The Auld Triangle' , made famous by the Dubliners: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb_YaUXcVgo.
Before that (until sometime last year) it was 'The Foggy Dew', an older Irish folk song that has also been performed by the Dubliners: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0tmtKiGGGps

PostPosted: Wed April 4th, 2018, 20:54 GMT 

I don't ear the 'Auld triangle' at all. I was born and brought up in Dublin very near to the jail depicted in that song. Not that that gives me any special knowledge. But I've listened to the Auld Triangle sung I'd say hundreds of times. Performed live by lots different people in different settings. In various states from sober to utterly scuttered.

I don't hear the Auld at all. I hear 'The Wild Mountain Thyme'. You can find it on The Minnesota Tapes Album 1994.

PostPosted: Wed April 4th, 2018, 21:09 GMT 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch-olMV291A&t=69s

The above link from March's Lisbon concert captures the whole intro - it's actually quite beautiful. It does share certain elements with Wild Mt. Thyme. Very interesting theory. Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat April 7th, 2018, 17:21 GMT 

It's "The Auld Triangle" (aka Royal Canal), which Dylan recorded on The Basement Tapes. It's not "Wild Mountain Thyme."

PostPosted: Sat April 7th, 2018, 17:58 GMT 

No way is it the Auld Triagle. This is the Wild Mountain Thyme. There ARE some elements of similar melody between these two tunes. But in the Stu intro, the melody, rhythm and emphasis are all Wild Mountain Thyme. He very possibly may be doing a hybrid between two but utterly no way is it the Auld triangle alone.

Had that tune bashed into my head at school choir, home, aunts, uncles, weddings, funerals, guitar, tin whistle, accordian, voice, violin, piano, jaysus every frecking way possible. From when I was about two years of age. If it's the Auld Fecking Triangle, then me Mother's the Pope.

If lovely handsome Stu thinks he's playing the Auld triangle, well then he isn't, and I'll happily tell him so. :lol: But I don't think he thinks he's playing the Auld Triangle. He's playing the Wild Mountain Thyme or his own little variation on the/a tune. I'm listening to 2017 and 2018 shows BTW.

I'm going off now to throw my phone, my tablet and my lap top into the Royal Canal. Exactly at spot where Mount Joy Jail sits on the Royal canal where said triangle went jingle jangle. I'm supposed to be studying but Expecting Rain and the Bob Dylan and his Band tour keep distracting me. It's all Bob Dylan's fault that I'm not studying but reading this Expecting Rain rubbish. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat April 7th, 2018, 18:18 GMT 

GirlsWon'tLeaveMeAlone wrote:
No way is it the Auld Triagle. This is the Wild Mountain Thyme. There ARE some elements of similar melody between these two tunes. But in the Stu intro, the melody, rhythm and emphasis are all Wild Mountain Thyme. He very possibly may be doing a hybrid between two but utterly no way is it the Auld triangle alone.

Had that tune bashed into my head at school choir, home, aunts, uncles, weddings, funerals, guitar, tin whistle, accordian, voice, violin, piano, jaysus every frecking way possible. From when I was about two years of age. If it's the Auld Fecking Triangle, then me Mother's the Pope.

If lovely handsome Stu thinks he's playing the Auld triangle, well then he isn't, and I'll happily tell him so. :lol: But I don't think he thinks he's playing the Auld Triangle. He's playing the Wild Mountain Thyme or his own little variation on the/a tune. I'm listening to 2017 and 2018 shows BTW.

I'm going off now to throw my phone, my tablet and my lap top into the Royal Canal. Exactly at spot where Mount Joy Jail sits on the Royal canal where said triangle went jingle jangle. I'm supposed to be studying but Expecting Rain and the Bob Dylan and his Band tour keep distracting me. It's all Bob Dylan's fault that I'm not studying but reading this Expecting Rain rubbish. :lol: :lol:

Get up ya bowsie, and get back to work. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat April 7th, 2018, 18:58 GMT 

It does sound very similar to The Royal Canal, but if you try and sing that over the top it doesn't quite fit. It definitely isn't Wild Mountain Thyme. It's very nice whatever it is.

PostPosted: Sat April 7th, 2018, 20:16 GMT 
Titanium Member

GirlsWon'tLeaveMeAlone wrote:

oh thank you GirlsWon'tLeaveMeAlone!
i always thought it was wild mountain thyme, but thought i was the only one.
makes you cry.
and my grandmother was irish, so wish i could find my ancestral home back there.
so hope you see bob soon! stu is our great de Chirico huh.

PostPosted: Sat April 14th, 2018, 03:36 GMT 

bobschool wrote:

oh thank you GirlsWon'tLeaveMeAlone!
i always thought it was wild mountain thyme, but thought i was the only one.
makes you cry.
and my grandmother was irish, so wish i could find my ancestral home back there.
so hope you see bob soon! stu is our great de Chirico huh.

Well you are very welcome Bobschool. I have always thought that the Wild Mountain Thyme is a Scottish song but there is an Irish lyrics version too. So many of these airs went back and forth over the centuaries anyway.

Good luck with your ancestry hunt and if you ever need a bit of info I can try and point you in the right direction, PM me.

Lovely picture too!

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2018, 17:22 GMT 
Titanium Member

Listening to Leipzig and it's quite clearly The Auld Triangle, although Stu is improvising a little with the tempo and phrasing. It's similar to Wild Mountain Thyme, but the melody of The Auld Triangle is clearly there.