Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat June 23rd, 2018, 00:47 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 29th, 2018, 04:52 GMT 

Often described as a “minor high point”, I’ve found myself really starting to love this album. Unlike World Gone Wrong, Good As I Been To You didn’t immediately strike me as an amazing album, though I did thoroughly enjoy it since I found it years back. I’m glad I’ve grown to really love it, and I’m shocked at just how important it seems to me now. That being said, I thought it’d be best to start an appreciation thread.

Favorite Tracks (in order of appearance on the album): Jim Jones, Blackjack Davey, Canadee-I-O, Hard Times, Arthur McBride, and Diamond Joe. The whole album is fantastic, though.

Blackjack Davey must have been one of the songs that inspired Dylan’s own Man in the Long Black Coat, aside from the two songs Demon Lover and the House Carpenter. While those two songs have stories that are similar to MITLBC, Blackjack Davey isn’t much different and it gives off a similar vibe.

Diamond Joe might be my favorite track.

World Gone Wrong is more focused, and remains my favorite of the two, but I really appreciate the loose approach to this album.

While I love Dylan’s mid Seventies voice, his croaky vocals are perfect for these songs. He used what would be considered an obstacle to great effect. I also believe that he kind of purposely added to its ragged quality on some tracks.

Anyone else have something to say about Good As I Been To You? What’s your opinion on it?

PostPosted: Tue May 29th, 2018, 05:47 GMT 

ShotofMercy wrote:
Anyone else have something to say about Good As I Been To You? What’s your opinion on it?

Not really. It has its moments, some nice noodling, some fair vocals, but it's not a Dylan album by any stretch of the imagination. Though I'm sure that if he scrapped the album it would have been bootlegged with lots of fanfare.
I've probably listened to it twice, but it has never struck me as anything beyond mediocre.

Prove me wrong, kids. Prove me wrong.

PostPosted: Tue May 29th, 2018, 08:19 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
ShotofMercy wrote:

Not really. It has its moments, some nice noodling, some fair vocals, but it's not a Dylan album by any stretch of the imagination. Though I'm sure that if he scrapped the album it would have been bootlegged with lots of fanfare.
I've probably listened to it twice, but it has never struck me as anything beyond mediocre.

Prove me wrong, kids. Prove me wrong.
You can't judge a Dylan album after only two plays.

PostPosted: Tue May 29th, 2018, 09:42 GMT 
Titanium Member

Canadee-I-O!

PostPosted: Tue May 29th, 2018, 11:01 GMT 

Always liked this album.
It gets more airtime than WGW in my apartment.

PostPosted: Tue May 29th, 2018, 12:10 GMT 

I love this album, especially how spontaneous and informal it sounds, almost like someone secretly taped Bob while he was just playing these songs to himself. A very different album to World Gone Wrong, in my opinion, which sounds more like it was recorded with a specific concept in mind.

Good As I Been To You was also the first Bob album released during my lifetime, so it's special to me for that reason too!

PostPosted: Tue May 29th, 2018, 13:36 GMT 

Similar reasons to previous poster - first new Dylan album released when I was getting in to him.

His voice isn’t great by any stretch of the imagination and it does take some adjusting to, but his phrasing and the passion with which he sings is fantastic.

I love especially Hard Times and Jim Jones, Step it up and Go, Tomorrow Night and You’re gonna quit me. It’s noticeable that we all have very different selections of our favourite songs from the album. That’s usually the sign of a consistently good piece of work.

PostPosted: Tue May 29th, 2018, 14:47 GMT 

A couple outtakes from the album cover photo sessions.

The girl is the late Debbie Gold. She produced "Good as I Been to You." She later created "Grateful Dead-opoly," a board game mashup of The Grateful Dead and Monopoly. Maybe Dylan and his band play it on the tour bus.

PostPosted: Tue May 29th, 2018, 15:16 GMT 

A Million Faces wrote:
She later created "Grateful Dead-opoly," a board game mashup of The Grateful Dead and Monopoly. Maybe Dylan and his band play it on the tour bus.

Thanks for the trivia.

I’m not so sure I would like to see a Dylanopoly so much as a Bob’s Against Humanity. I’m sure there’s some way to make it work, if the questions were in terrible taste and the answers in song lyrics.

PostPosted: Tue May 29th, 2018, 15:41 GMT 

crocadee wrote:
Similar reasons to previous poster - first new Dylan album released when I was getting in to him.

His voice isn’t great by any stretch of the imagination and it does take some adjusting to, but his phrasing and the passion with which he sings is fantastic.

I love especially Hard Times and Jim Jones, Step it up and Go, Tomorrow Night and You’re gonna quit me. It’s noticeable that we all have very different selections of our favourite songs from the album. That’s usually the sign of a consistently good piece of work.

How did I forget Tomorrow Night?? I love that track!

Something I found interesting is that other artists of Dylan’s caliber (or very close to it) had released major records in 1992.
- Magic and Loss by Lou Reed
- Bone Machine by Tom Waits
- The Future by Leonard Cohen

All very personal records, and major highlights in their careers. In some ways Dylan released a very intimate and important album with GAIBTY, it’s unfortunate that it’s gets swept under the rug sometimes. Don’t get me wrong, I’d take an album like Bone Machine over it if push came to shove, but it really seems like an important moment in Dylan’s career.

PostPosted: Tue May 29th, 2018, 15:54 GMT 

Hard Times is among my personal all time favorite Dylan studio release performances ever.......Froggie Went a Courtin.......not so much.

PostPosted: Tue May 29th, 2018, 19:05 GMT 
Mercury Member

Hard Times can make me weep! Well....almost.
Always loved this album. Above WGW in my mind. First time I heard Froggie I was tickled that Big Bad Bob was doing a children's tale. Rooty-toot-toot indeed!

PostPosted: Tue May 29th, 2018, 19:30 GMT 

ShotofMercy wrote:
Often described as a “minor high point”, I’ve found myself really starting to love this album. Unlike World Gone Wrong, Good As I Been To You didn’t immediately strike me as an amazing album, though I did thoroughly enjoy it since I found it years back. I’m glad I’ve grown to really love it, and I’m shocked at just how important it seems to me now. That being said, I thought it’d be best to start an appreciation thread.

Favorite Tracks (in order of appearance on the album): Jim Jones, Blackjack Davey, Canadee-I-O, Hard Times, Arthur McBride, and Diamond Joe. The whole album is fantastic, though.

Blackjack Davey must have been one of the songs that inspired Dylan’s own Man in the Long Black Coat, aside from the two songs Demon Lover and the House Carpenter. While those two songs have stories that are similar to MITLBC, Blackjack Davey isn’t much different and it gives off a similar vibe.

Diamond Joe might be my favorite track.

World Gone Wrong is more focused, and remains my favorite of the two, but I really appreciate the loose approach to this album.

While I love Dylan’s mid Seventies voice, his croaky vocals are perfect for these songs. He used what would be considered an obstacle to great effect. I also believe that he kind of purposely added to its ragged quality on some tracks.

One of my favorites. I agree that WGW is probably the better of the two, but all the songs you mentioned are great. Also, it's hard not to smile when listening to Froggie Went A-Courtin'.

PostPosted: Tue May 29th, 2018, 19:48 GMT 

If you accept Dylan's voice, and guitar playing, for what they are, it's a good album, perhaps not as cohesive as World Gone Wrong. I really enjoy the two acoustic albums. I'd rather Dylan was recording, and touring, more folk and blues albums than the Songbook stuff anyway.

PostPosted: Tue May 29th, 2018, 21:09 GMT 

How I wish, he would be able to make such a wonderful album again ...........................
When I first listened to it in those times, I was immediately fascinated (and I was really surprised that he played the guitar so well). A highlight of his career
Same happened to me, when he played Lefty Frizell's "You're too late" or Fats Domino's "Blueberry Hill" for the ensam-experiment thing in 2014, (btw when will these performances be released on dvd or cd?)
Unfortunately Bob did waste his to an end drawing time doing the so-called GASB-stuff (although 3 or 4 tracks ain't that bad)

PostPosted: Tue May 29th, 2018, 21:45 GMT 

HopE wrote:
How I wish, he would be able to make such a wonderful album again ...........................
When I first listened to it in those times, I was immediately fascinated (and I was really surprised that he played the guitar so well). A highlight of his career
Same happened to me, when he played Lefty Frizell's "You're too late" or Fats Domino's "Blueberry Hill" for the ensam-experiment thing in 2014, (btw when will these performances be released on dvd or cd?)
Unfortunately Bob did waste his to an end drawing time doing the so-called GASB-stuff (although 3 or 4 tracks ain't that bad)

I'm sure he can still sit down and pop off a number or two just as good as he did back in the 80s and 90s. If he wanted to add an acoustic number to his next album, The Bobman could pull it off. A whole album, though, I don't think he'd have the patience for it. It'd probably take about as long as Volume II of his autobiography.

PostPosted: Tue May 29th, 2018, 22:25 GMT 

Shadows in the Night is a great album, but the following albums didn’t appeal to me as much. I think he pretty much nailed whatever he was going for with Shadows.

GAIBTY could have been a one time deal, and that would’ve worked out fine. But World Gone Wrong builds upon it. GAIBTY is a collection of songs, WGW is more of an album. Bob went from Shadows (album) to the other two collections of songs.

I don’t see him ever doing a folk album again, his style has changed. But I’m happy to have what we’ve got!

PostPosted: Tue May 29th, 2018, 22:42 GMT 

His style and mood have really shifted away from what a lot of us enjoyed, such as the hymns and covers we were treated to in the early 2000's. It became apparent his hands couldn't pull of what he wanted them to do. No more acoustic sets, no more goofing off with Charlie & Larry...nope...It was all replaced with a hideous circus organ.

What I wish he would have done, which he almost did, was a big ass solo acoustic tour. He saw Neil was doing that, gave it a thought, and that was the end of that.

PostPosted: Wed May 30th, 2018, 00:41 GMT 

TimEdgeworth1 wrote:
I love this album, especially how spontaneous and informal it sounds, almost like someone secretly taped Bob while he was just playing these songs to himself. A very different album to World Gone Wrong, in my opinion, which sounds more like it was recorded with a specific concept in mind.

Well said! World Gone Wrong sounds so constricted compared to Good As I Been to You.

PostPosted: Wed May 30th, 2018, 01:11 GMT 
Titanium Member

Blackjack Davey is a favorite. Both WGW and GAIBTY rank high up in my list of Dylan's studio albums.

PostPosted: Wed May 30th, 2018, 02:20 GMT 

The first time I heard Froggie went a courtin I was so pleased.

I had heard the song before from a very good Scottish friend. She sang that song once for me, but instead of 'corn bread' she sang 'toast' at the end.

I love the way he sang that and the other traditional songs.

PostPosted: Wed May 30th, 2018, 08:23 GMT 

This album is one of my favorite since I´ve first heard it, also " World gone wrong ".

It is as good as his first album.

PostPosted: Wed May 30th, 2018, 16:54 GMT 

LlewynistheCat wrote:
Well said! World Gone Wrong sounds so constricted compared to Good As I Been to You.

Good As I Been To You has always had the edge for me above
World Gone Wrong. It always seemed like I was the only one, not
that I dislike WGW.

PostPosted: Wed May 30th, 2018, 17:15 GMT 

115th wrote:
This album is one of my favorite since I´ve first heard it, also " World gone wrong ".

I’d say they’re even better than the debut, even though I know that won’t go over well.

Of course, self titled has Song to Woody. I also like his rentions of In My Time of Dyin’, Highway 51 Blues and Baby Let Me Follow You Down. But there’s something about his lived in voice on the two folk covers albums that really add to the songs, and the selection is better.

I’m not a big fan of the debut, I think by Freewheelin’ he was still taking influence from Woody Guthrie but he had started to find his own voice. Interestingly enough, by ‘92 he has lost his voice (in a variety of ways) but he still didn’t go back to imitating Woody. It was an effort to get reacquainted with the music he loved and his own phrasing.

Thank God for Debbie Gold, too.

PostPosted: Wed May 30th, 2018, 17:23 GMT 
Titanium Member

115th wrote:

Better, much better than the debut, which I like. Dylan playing of this material has matured, his chops are more real.