Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri July 20th, 2018, 14:52 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Another Era Ending?
PostPosted: Fri March 23rd, 2018, 07:58 GMT 

The setlist from last night's show in Lisbon contained only one Sinatra song.

Post subject: Re: Another Era Ending?
PostPosted: Fri March 23rd, 2018, 08:17 GMT 

We've had false alarms before, Rome, Desert Trip, etc! One can live in hope though!

PostPosted: Fri March 23rd, 2018, 08:50 GMT 

Which one was it? Without checking, I'm going to take a guess at 'Autumn Leaves'. Which would be fine by me.

PostPosted: Fri March 23rd, 2018, 08:51 GMT 

No, it was Why Try To Change Me Now?

PostPosted: Fri March 23rd, 2018, 09:55 GMT 
Promethium Member

Another Era morphing.

PostPosted: Fri March 23rd, 2018, 12:10 GMT 
Senior Moderator

I think that throughout the NET Dylan has attempted to give the audience more than just a random runthrough of his greatest hits leavened with a few back catalogue obscurities.

The recent tours incorporating standards and with comparatively static set lists have had a number of beneficial results. Among which there's been a distinct overall improvement in the quality of the performances and a more considered shaping of the shows. This has often given us a fulfilling almost theatrical experience which amounted to far more than the sum of its parts. Dylan has presented himself in a dignified way and it has been a moving experience to see him engaging with eternal verities of the human condition such as memories, love, loss, hope, regret, aging and the passage of time through his re-evaluation and reimagining of his own songs and his performance of covers which say something significant to him. Long may he continue to do something in performance which still says so much to us and still means such a lot to him.

PostPosted: Fri March 23rd, 2018, 12:19 GMT 
Titanium Member

Amen!

PostPosted: Fri March 23rd, 2018, 12:53 GMT 

What colour socks was he wearing?

PostPosted: Fri March 23rd, 2018, 16:12 GMT 

Saw some videos that emerged and very much sounds like the same era continuing. Will someone get this man a new band. Or at least have the band members switch instruments. This sound has grown beyond stale.

PostPosted: Fri March 23rd, 2018, 17:23 GMT 

OK only one Sinatra song, but certainly nothing fresh introduced !!

PostPosted: Fri March 23rd, 2018, 18:16 GMT 

charlesdarwin wrote:
I think that throughout the NET Dylan has attempted to give the audience more than just a random runthrough of his greatest hits leavened with a few back catalogue obscurities.

The recent tours incorporating standards and with comparatively static set lists have had a number of beneficial results. Among which there's been a distinct overall improvement in the quality of the performances and a more considered shaping of the shows. This has often given us a fulfilling almost theatrical experience which amounted to far more than the sum of its parts. Dylan has presented himself in a dignified way and it has been a moving experience to see him engaging with eternal verities of the human condition such as memories, love, loss, hope, regret, aging and the passage of time through his re-evaluation and reimagining of his own songs and his performance of covers which say something significant to him. Long may he continue to do something in performance which still says so much to us and still means such a lot to him.

What he said.

PostPosted: Fri March 23rd, 2018, 19:42 GMT 

Yep.

PostPosted: Fri March 23rd, 2018, 20:05 GMT 

charlesdarwin wrote:

This

PostPosted: Fri March 23rd, 2018, 21:29 GMT 

Rather than bringing Spirit On The Water and some of the other stuff back I wouldn't have minded a couple of the Slow Train songs as featured on Trouble No More!

PostPosted: Sat March 24th, 2018, 00:21 GMT 
Titanium Member

man on a bridge wrote:
charlesdarwin wrote:

This

That.

PostPosted: Sat March 24th, 2018, 00:48 GMT 
Promethium Member

Amen.

PostPosted: Sat March 24th, 2018, 01:19 GMT 

Yes, Charles Darwin, you nailed it once again.

PostPosted: Sat March 24th, 2018, 08:40 GMT 
Titanium Member

charles darwin is very eloquent! thanks!

bob is a great crooner. it's good to croon.

and no one sings dylan like dylan.

PostPosted: Sat March 24th, 2018, 11:10 GMT 
Titanium Member

charlesdarwin wrote:

I agree that this has very much been the case in the last few years, especially in 2013-15. However, I would suggest that Thursday's set of safe choices and 60s/70s hits he's played 1000 times was not particularly theatrical and considered. On paper, that set was a combination of the least interesting, safest, parts of recent sets.

PostPosted: Sat March 24th, 2018, 16:05 GMT 

yopietro wrote:
Saw some videos that emerged and very much sounds like the same era continuing. Will someone get this man a new band. Or at least have the band members switch instruments. This sound has grown beyond stale.

Tired of the Donnie sound myself. I also wish the band would challenge Bob to do some different material. Start rehearsing some songs they want to play and have Bob practice them. Pretty simple. Or, just keep playing the same 25-30 songs and reinterpret a few arbitrarily once in a while. Where's Love Minus Zero/No Limit?

PostPosted: Sat March 24th, 2018, 20:16 GMT 

Sphere wrote:
I also wish the band would challenge Bob to do some different material. Start rehearsing some songs they want to play and have Bob practice them. Pretty simple. Or, just keep playing the same 25-30 songs and reinterpret a few arbitrarily once in a while. Where's Love Minus Zero/No Limit?

Isn't that how at least some songs to introduced to the repertoire in the 90s and early 2000s? I've never thought that it was lazyness on the band's part that this practice seemingly disappeared. I figured the bossman told them at one point that their suggestions weren't welcome anymore.

I always thought the staggering amount of songs never/rarely played before or since in the Summer and Fall of 2002 were some sort of parting gift to Charlie Sexton.

PostPosted: Sat March 24th, 2018, 20:43 GMT 

Handsomeinthefog wrote:
Sphere wrote:
I also wish the band would challenge Bob to do some different material. Start rehearsing some songs they want to play and have Bob practice them. Pretty simple. Or, just keep playing the same 25-30 songs and reinterpret a few arbitrarily once in a while. Where's Love Minus Zero/No Limit?

Isn't that how at least some songs to introduced to the repertoire in the 90s and early 2000s? I've never thought that it was lazyness on the band's part that this practice seemingly disappeared. I figured the bossman told them at one point that their suggestions weren't welcome anymore.

I always thought the staggering amount of songs never/rarely played before or since in the Summer and Fall of 2002 were some sort of parting gift to Charlie Sexton.

Point is maybe if Bob heard his band playing some of those old melodies he would like them enough to mix them back into his shows. Not sure why the show format is so rigid now.

PostPosted: Sat March 24th, 2018, 20:48 GMT 
Titanium Member

Yes it is a bit of a paradox that he's trying to show that modern life is a narrow way, yet is reluctant to perform the song itself.

PostPosted: Sat March 24th, 2018, 22:54 GMT 
Promethium Member

charlesdarwin wrote:
This has often given us a fulfilling almost theatrical experience which amounted to far more than the sum of its parts.

Yes, exactly!

bobschool wrote:
...and no one sings dylan like dylan.

Yup!

A Merry Llama wrote:
Yes it is a bit of a paradox that he's trying to show that modern life is a narrow way, yet is reluctant to perform the song itself.

Love it!

- Continuation of an Era -

PostPosted: Mon March 26th, 2018, 09:53 GMT 

If you look at the stage pictures posted on the main page, the setlists clearly show the same amount of Sinatra songs as the fall, so I'm not sure if Dylan is done with it just yet.