Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri June 22nd, 2018, 18:43 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu February 15th, 2018, 06:29 GMT 

A month or so ago I purchased all the Columbia sacds and I have to say I really really enjoy them. The 5.1 soundtracks are a good listen but even the stereo versions much better. I can actually turn up nashville skyline and it doesn't sound distorted at higher volumes. My only complaint with these are that they didn't include self portrait in these master remasterings lol. In my humble opinion I think that self portrait is the poorest sounding recording wise. I mean it sounds like they recorded belle isle on a roll of toilet paper, and it's such a fantastic song imo. Too bad sacd is kind of dead now, as far as Columbia releases anyway. But I digress.....

PostPosted: Thu February 15th, 2018, 13:35 GMT 

I've got Freewheelin' and Street Legal. Still listen to those, always loved the sound on Freewheelin', and no, I don't have an SACD player but always sounded improved on standard cd player.

I did own Blood on the Tracks SACD and Blonde on Blonde but stupidly traded those in years back. BOB as it was 2cd and that annoyed me (see, the mistakes of youth!) I'd bought both cheap anyway so didn't lose out financially, still annoying though.

But the 2 I have I still enjoy. Would've liked them all but don't really need them. Street Legal always seems a good bet to invest in for improved sound quality.

PostPosted: Thu February 15th, 2018, 16:19 GMT 

I just finally bought Blonde on Blonde and it's so sweet!

I have Infidels, Love & Theft and Oh Mercy on SACD with the latter
being my favorite. Love Lanois' "swampy" sound.

Is the Highway 61 Revisited SACD worth it?
Thanks,
C

PostPosted: Thu February 15th, 2018, 18:35 GMT 
Titanium Member

Those SACD's are a mixed bag, some like Freewheelin' are too boosted in the treble. May sound 'improved' on cheap kit, but on better stuff, it's just fatiguing. The John Wesley Harding has too much added EQ, period, the old Columbia redbook CD is still the way to get that album in stereo on CD. I'm not including the mono discs because that's outside the thread topic.

PostPosted: Thu February 15th, 2018, 21:23 GMT 

I bought the box off of the record club in high school. I loved that thing so much. Don't know when the last time I actually took it out to play them, but they do sounds really great to me. That was my first exposure to Freewheelin' and it destroyed me. I was amazed what seemed like an ancient recording to me, at that time, sounded so alive.

PostPosted: Thu February 15th, 2018, 21:40 GMT 
Titanium Member

Mobile Fidelity has put out some Dylan SACD's as well, including mono versions. Alas, I don't own any of them.

PostPosted: Thu February 15th, 2018, 23:14 GMT 

Nope. I haven't even listened to a normal CD since 2014? Maybe? But it might be closer to 2011. TBH, I don't particularly miss the physical media. At the time, I loved to buy discs, but it's just not something that makes monetary sense for me anymore, not when you can just pay $10 a month to Spotify for access to basically all the music on earth.

PostPosted: Fri February 16th, 2018, 19:11 GMT 
Titanium Member

shaneacook1989 wrote:
A month or so ago I purchased all the Columbia sacds and I have to say I really really enjoy them. The 5.1 soundtracks are a good listen but even the stereo versions much better. I can actually turn up nashville skyline and it doesn't sound distorted at higher volumes. My only complaint with these are that they didn't include self portrait in these master remasterings lol. In my humble opinion I think that self portrait is the poorest sounding recording wise. I mean it sounds like they recorded belle isle on a roll of toilet paper, and it's such a fantastic song imo. Too bad sacd is kind of dead now, as far as Columbia releases anyway. But I digress.....

The Nashville Skyline is one of the better sounding ones from that remaster campaign. Self Portrait's basic recording is a mixed bag, having been recorded in different locales in Nashville, New York, and the Isle of Wight, by no means is it all bad. Dylan's sonically poorest studio album is probably New Morning.

PostPosted: Fri February 16th, 2018, 21:48 GMT 

shaneacook1989 wrote:

I have all 15 of the SACD releases and love them. I especially enjoy the surround sound mix of Blood on the Tracks...it was that particular mix and recording that motivated me to get an SACD player and surround sound speakers.

That being said, I think Infidels sounds worlds better on vinyl...it is really astonishing. The drums are not so annoying as they are on both the SACD and CD mix.

PostPosted: Fri February 16th, 2018, 23:40 GMT 

Is the SACD version still regarded as the best cd version of Street Legal?

PostPosted: Sat February 17th, 2018, 08:30 GMT 

Pool Hall Richard wrote:

I was going to ask the very same question. Wasn't there a remixed and remastered CD version released a few years prior to the SACD version that was supposed to be the best? I've only got the SACD versions of Bringing It All Back Home and Blonde ON Blonde.

PostPosted: Sat February 17th, 2018, 09:51 GMT 

Pool Hall Richard wrote:

There are two released mixes of Street-Legal available, the original 1978 mix and a drastically different remix (done by the original producer Don DeVito) in 1999.
The original 1978 mix sounds best on the remastered Street-Legal included in the Complete Album Collection Vol.1 box, released in 2013.
The remix as issued on CD in 1999 (together with a remastered Greatest Hits Vol. II with submoniker "original artwork restored") remained unaltered for the SACD reissue in 2003 and the subsequent single layer reissue of Street-Legal in 2004.

Not all the SACD reissues turned out to be improvements. Most of them sound trebly, as said earlier, except the titles which received the 5.1 surround remix treatment, which was a novelty at the time of release.

PostPosted: Sat February 17th, 2018, 18:23 GMT 

Brickbat wrote:
Pool Hall Richard wrote:

There are two released mixes of Street-Legal available, the original 1978 mix and a drastically different remix (done by the original producer Don DeVito) in 1999.
The original 1978 mix sounds best on the remastered Street-Legal included in the Complete Album Collection Vol.1 box, released in 2013.
The remix as issued on CD in 1999 (together with a remastered Greatest Hits Vol. II with submoniker "original artwork restored") remained unaltered for the SACD reissue in 2003 and the subsequent single layer reissue of Street-Legal in 2004.

I am not sure where the above information is from, Brickbat, but the Isis editors did a thorough description of efforts to remaster Dylan's catalog (you can find it here...it is very good: https://www.bobdylanisis.com/bob-dylan-remastered/) and this is what they say about Street-Legal...they identify the 2003 remaster as different from the 1999 remaster, although the net result is very similar:

Street Legal
Eleven years after the original release of “Street Legal” on vinyl, Don DeVito, the original producer – or as the sleeve notes call him, “Captain in Charge” – returned to remix and re-master the album. This 1999 remix was a great improvement on everything that had gone before.

Although this release was superseded in late 2003, when the album was issued as part of the 15-disc SACD series, the later improvement is only slight. This album was originally recorded on a remote mobile rig and maybe this is a good as it gets, which is a great pity. The re-mastered CD layer of the SACD was made available as the standard CD release in UK/Europe (512355 2) in March 2004 and in North America (CK 92403) in June 2004.

PostPosted: Sat February 17th, 2018, 19:44 GMT 
Mercury Member

Hatmatter wrote:
I am not sure where the above information is from, Brickbat, but the Isis editors did a thorough description of efforts to remaster Dylan's catalog (you can find it here...it is very good: https://www.bobdylanisis.com/bob-dylan-remastered/) and this is what they say about Street-Legal...they identify the 2003 remaster as different from the 1999 remaster, although the net result is very similar:

Street Legal
Eleven years after the original release of “Street Legal” on vinyl, Don DeVito, the original producer – or as the sleeve notes call him, “Captain in Charge” – returned to remix and re-master the album. This 1999 remix was a great improvement on everything that had gone before.

Although this release was superseded in late 2003, when the album was issued as part of the 15-disc SACD series, the later improvement is only slight. This album was originally recorded on a remote mobile rig and maybe this is a good as it gets, which is a great pity. The re-mastered CD layer of the SACD was made available as the standard CD release in UK/Europe (512355 2) in March 2004 and in North America (CK 92403) in June 2004.

While your point may be valid, your maths certainly aren't. Eleven years after 1978 is not 1999.

PostPosted: Sat February 17th, 2018, 20:19 GMT 
Titanium Member

I disagree with the statements about Street-Legal. I actually prefer the original '78 release. The quality of it really matches the frenetic and paranoid energy that the music and vocals create.