Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun May 20th, 2018, 19:15 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat January 27th, 2018, 00:28 GMT 

His Chronicle words on how it was Kurtis Blow who ‘familiarized’ him on Ice-T, Public Enemy, NWA, Run DMC. Scott Warmuth’s work on Early Roman Kings and New York gangs pre-hiphop. Does Triplicate feel like an Ice-T Body Count kind of record to him? Like ‘Sinatra/American Songbook’ to Dylan is like Metal for ICE-T? That font type on Triplicate looks a lot like Body Count. I tried to upload a pic of it, but I guess my photo is too big.

PostPosted: Sat January 27th, 2018, 14:45 GMT 

syd natanist wrote:
His Chronicle words on how it was Kurtis Blow who ‘familiarized’ him on Ice-T, Public Enemy, NWA, Run DMC. Scott Warmuth’s work on Early Roman Kings and New York gangs pre-hiphop. Does Triplicate feel like an Ice-T Body Count kind of record to him? Like ‘Sinatra/American Songbook’ to Dylan is like Metal for ICE-T? That font type on Triplicate looks a lot like Body Count. I tried to upload a pic of it, but I guess my photo is too big.

The artwork of "Triplicate" was probably inspired by a 1999 gospel compilation on Rhino called "Testify!". See picture. The font used for "Triplicate" and "Testify!" is Goudy Text, which was released in 1928. It is based on Gutenberg's 42-line bible typeface from 1452–1454.

Dylan's message perhaps being "these songs are my prayer book, I take these songs as gospel".

By the way blackletter fonts like Goudy Text probably found their way into Hip Hop, because early Hip Hop artists in Southern California had ties to gang culture or appropriated gang culture, including gang tattoos. Many of the tattoo artists at the time were of Hispanic origin with strong ties to the catholic church and had been using blackletter fonts adapted from catholic scriptures for a long time.

The white metal guys on the other hand took blackletter fonts from medieval imagery, where blackletter is the common.

In the rap/metal crossover bands like Body Count the two paths merged.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by My Echo, My Shadow And Me on Sat January 27th, 2018, 15:12 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat January 27th, 2018, 15:05 GMT 

For the avoidance of doubt, are you asking whether Bob's collection of pre-rock ballads is akin to a 90s Gangsta Rap album? My answer would be no, not really.

PostPosted: Sat January 27th, 2018, 15:19 GMT 

20yearsofschooling wrote:
For the avoidance of doubt, are you asking whether Bob's collection of pre-rock ballads is akin to a 90s Gangsta Rap album? My answer would be no, not really.

Totally agree. While Dylan certainly maintains an acute interest in rap (see Theme Time Radio Hour), "Triplicate" does not have anything to do with rap/hip hop. As pointed out in my post above I think the message of the artwork would be something like "these songs are my prayer book, I take these songs as gospel".

PostPosted: Sat January 27th, 2018, 16:04 GMT 

Yes Bob is a badass mumblef*cker.

PostPosted: Sat January 27th, 2018, 23:32 GMT 

Thanks My Echo. That looks great. I would definitely think he was aware of that Gospel and Ice-T work with Body Count. I wonder if there are others. 20years, thanks for question. I would imagine more like feeling the fun in dropping a third, and even triple album, having fun with the commitment in the face of complaints in way relatable to Ice-T and the metal. All that said, I enjoy all the views into the intertextual stuff here, encouraging it within hip hop, which seems not too explored.

PostPosted: Sun January 28th, 2018, 15:29 GMT 

Some online pieces found exploring Bob and hip-hop.

Forgot Bob did ‘Mama Said Knock You Out’ and hip hop on Theme Time...
Beastie Boys, Wyclef stuff... Subterranean Homesick Blues, more in this context:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news ... e-20100330

Here’s another good round up on Dylan/hip-hop, intersections with Beat Poetry... https://williamhenryprince.com/too-much ... owl-blues/

PostPosted: Mon January 29th, 2018, 14:46 GMT 
Titanium Member

I always thought the triplicate art was a nod to that three record Sinatra album, but that font is hard to ignore.