Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed May 23rd, 2018, 05:15 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat January 27th, 2018, 00:18 GMT 

My Echo, My Shadow And Me wrote:
Re: The recent project. My GUESS is that there will be a Dylan live album in the spring (recorded at the London Palladium in 2017, augmented with recordings from the Dublin sessions, which took place right after the European tour). If true Don Was could have mixed that album. He also mixed the Unplugged album.

Hmmm that would be cool! I'm actually fond of the MTV Unplugged album, I did not know Don Was mixed it. I'm not too good at expressing my feelings towards the sound of albums, but to me ears it sounds like it properly separates everything, like you can hear the instrumentation without it drowning out Dylan's voice. I'd be down for a live album, I'm assuming he wouldn't have mentioned anything about a project with Dylan he's working on if it was a full album. I feel like the Dylan crew wouldn't want that out there just yet.

PostPosted: Sat January 27th, 2018, 01:12 GMT 
Promethium Member

I can’t escape the smell of a duets album.

PostPosted: Sat January 27th, 2018, 08:44 GMT 

Don Was did a really great job on the last Rolling Stones album, in my opinion, and I'm sure he could put together something special with Bob too. Excited to see where this leads!

PostPosted: Sat January 27th, 2018, 09:03 GMT 

TimEdgeworth1 wrote:
Don Was did a really great job on the last Rolling Stones album, in my opinion, and I'm sure he could put together something special with Bob too. Excited to see where this leads!

I love the sound of Blue & Lonesome. IF this would be a studio project, that would take
it to a whole other ('nother, for the Americans amongst us) level of excitement as the live
material is bound to be released in any case eventually.
Part of me would be pleased if Bob would trust Was with another studio disk in spite of
UTRS. Don Was has certainly proven his roots credentials in more recent years.

PostPosted: Sat January 27th, 2018, 10:40 GMT 

Alright Bob, here it is -

1) Ditch the soppy nostalgic shite of these cover albums, we get the message now let it lie.
2) Write some songs that connect with us as humans living on this planet right now. Nothing even remotely resembling 1) above. Listen to the albums you did before you hit your late thirties.
3) Let your band produce you and have veto over your decisions. Every worker knows how to run the company better than their boss.
4) Put some piss and vinegar into the studio performances and try and nail each one rather your usual 'bored now'. We have waited for this, don't f*ck it up. Drink some water before singing.
5) Maybe consider having some actually decent cover art for once. Of course we do understand you are legally obliged to put yet another photo of you in a massive hat sitting in an open top car with a model 40 years your junior draped around you on the inside sleeve, because that is just so relatable to our lives its like looking in a mirror. So you can have that. But for the love of God man, have you seen the front of Tempest?
6) PM me for my bank account for my cut of the royalties.

PostPosted: Sat January 27th, 2018, 13:22 GMT 

McG wrote:

1) Ditch the soppy nostalgic shite of these cover albums, we get the message now let it lie.
2) Write some songs that connect with us as humans living on this planet right now. Nothing even remotely resembling 1) above. Listen to the albums you did before you hit your late thirties.
3) Let your band produce you and have veto over your decisions. Every worker knows how to run the company better than their boss.
4) Put some piss and vinegar into the studio performances and try and nail each one rather your usual 'bored now'. We have waited for this, don't f*ck it up. Drink some water before singing.
5) Maybe consider having some actually decent cover art for once. Of course we do understand you are legally obliged to put yet another photo of you in a massive hat sitting in an open top car with a model 40 years your junior draped around you on the inside sleeve, because that is just so relatable to our lives its like looking in a mirror. So you can have that. But for the love of God man, have you seen the front of Tempest?

1) If you get the message about the cover albums... what are you moaning for?
2) Hows he gonna record an album anything remotely like he recorded til his thirties when hes in his seventies?
3 Every worker thinks they know how to run a company better than their boss.. but we are talking about music here not work
4 While hes putting some piss and vinegar into his studio performances, you might start writing your own songs youve got about 500 songs to write before your qualified to tell him anything, and dont forget youve got to reach the standards of say Tangled up in Blue or Masters of war with a lot of them.
5 If you like cover art I recommend Iron Maiden if you like cover art rather than the actually content.
6. Hes had a career lasting over 5 decades and hes done it without listening to idiots like you so maybe he should ignore you.

PostPosted: Sat January 27th, 2018, 13:29 GMT 

Welcome to the Internet.

PostPosted: Sat January 27th, 2018, 18:30 GMT 

McG wrote:

Hear hear!

PostPosted: Sat January 27th, 2018, 19:06 GMT 

McG wrote:

I think it's pretty safe to say that we will look back at this day as the day McG convinced Bob Dylan to make a good album

PostPosted: Sat January 27th, 2018, 19:08 GMT 

Yep hes never managed it before, who needs any Bob Dylan record when weve got Ed Sheeran!

PostPosted: Sat January 27th, 2018, 19:45 GMT 

To give Bob the benefit of the doubt, maybe those young models in his photographs are his granddaughters, and he's simply trying to help them break into the business?

PostPosted: Sun January 28th, 2018, 01:18 GMT 

Bob should hook up with Robbie Robertson. Finish those songs they were working on in the hotel room and see what else comes out. No production, just the two of them with acoustic guitars and a stereo mic.

PostPosted: Sun January 28th, 2018, 05:26 GMT 

He never looks back, though.

I think its a stipulation in his contract he made with that chief n commander guy, the one who isn't from this world nor the ones you can't see

PostPosted: Sun January 28th, 2018, 06:29 GMT 

dylanswife wrote:
He never looks back, though.

I think it's safe to say that, based on his output of the last 30 years, he doesn't actually look forward.

PostPosted: Sun January 28th, 2018, 12:20 GMT 

I don't really see much evidence to support the live album theory (particularly from the Palladium) although it's interesting that Mr. Was refers to Bob's live stuff and regularly checking out YouTube to see what he's up to.

PostPosted: Sun January 28th, 2018, 12:42 GMT 

Desolation Row wrote:
McG wrote:

1) If you get the message about the cover albums... what are you moaning for?
2) Hows he gonna record an album anything remotely like he recorded til his thirties when hes in his seventies?
3 Every worker thinks they know how to run a company better than their boss.. but we are talking about music here not work
4 While hes putting some piss and vinegar into his studio performances, you might start writing your own songs youve got about 500 songs to write before your qualified to tell him anything, and dont forget youve got to reach the standards of say Tangled up in Blue or Masters of war with a lot of them.
5 If you like cover art I recommend Iron Maiden if you like cover art rather than the actually content.
6. Hes had a career lasting over 5 decades and hes done it without listening to idiots like you so maybe he should ignore you.

Hear hear!

PostPosted: Sun January 28th, 2018, 14:34 GMT 

MrJudasPriest wrote:
I don't really see much evidence to support the live album theory (particularly from the Palladium) although it's interesting that Mr. Was refers to Bob's live stuff and regularly checking out YouTube to see what he's up to.

You are right there is no evidence. I just think it might be a possibility, because there was a story about additional recording equipment at the Palladium shows. Furthermore there were three days of filming/recording in Dublin right after the end of the tour with a director present. I think that at those sessions they ran through the then current setlist or parts thereof in order to generate film they can use for promoting a live album.

Here's what I posted last year in the Dublin sessions thread:

---
My guesses about what was filmed/recorded in Dublin in May would be ...

A. Some sort of piece for television similar to the Tony Bennett film (in the past they usually did those kind of films in one day, though).
B. They simply wanted to document the current band in performance (albeit in the studio) for unspecified future use.
C. There will be a 2017 live album in early 2018 and they filmed material for 2 or 3 video clips intended for promoting the album (filming the actual shows would have been far more cost and time intensive, much more of a hassle and unnecessary for that purpose). It would make sense to film that sort of material hot on the heels of the tour, with everything still in place.

I think the presence of director John Hillcoat indicates that the focus was on producing audio-visual material maybe for (online) promotion of an upcoming live album recorded at the shows in April/May (especially at The Palladium). In that case I would expect the films to be short teasers/clips and maybe 2 full songs (visuals coming from Ardmore, audio from the tour and/or Ardmore), with the purpose being to show the band in action.

P.S.: This is the video John Hillcoat created for promotion of "The Cutting Edge" in 2015: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG8Hi-fpyLI

Imagine something like that intercut with Ardmore footage of Dylan and his band and audio from the Palladium shows and you have a great video clip promoting a new live album ...
---

And now Don Was has indicated that he recently worked with Dylan. In the same interview he mentioned being intrigued by Dylan's in concert work.

Don Was mixed Dylan's "Unplugged" album. He might have mixed a new live album.

All guesswork, admittedly.

PostPosted: Sun January 28th, 2018, 16:54 GMT 

I don't believe in a live album.
It just doesn't make sense these days.

PostPosted: Sun January 28th, 2018, 18:43 GMT 

I already have a live album from this era - it's called the Bennyboy Soomlos Detroit 2015 remaster and it's mind blowing. Columbia will have their work cut out to usurp that mighty beast which really does prove the old adage that the best things in life are free...

PostPosted: Sun January 28th, 2018, 20:51 GMT 
Promethium Member

As I said in another thread regarding the Live 2017 album being speculated:
Yet another way to satisfy a record deal without producing any new originals since Tempest.

PostPosted: Sun January 28th, 2018, 21:03 GMT 

If that's the case, that really blows chunks.

In the past, we got the Basement tapes which was used to satisfy Bob's contractual obligations for releasing new albums/material.

While I enjoy the basement tapes and its many hidden treasures, it is not an collection of music I listen to. It's in a pile that has many friends....such as Down Along The Groove, Self Portrait, and the last 5 Sinatra records ..Every now and then I may pick an individual song from that pile to listen to, but its mostly for exploratory or educational purposes.

Though the Basement Tapes is of much higher quality than any of the live albums, I'd still much prefer a release of new material.

PostPosted: Sun January 28th, 2018, 21:21 GMT 

I've just got a feeling his next batch of originals is going to be something really good.

Tempest was good and I've loved the standards albums too but I'd be surprised if he didn't want to take the time to connect on a more personal level next time, with a release that bridges a more emotional gap.

Futile to speculate, but fun anyway.

PostPosted: Sun January 28th, 2018, 22:05 GMT 

dylanswife wrote:
If that's the case, that really blows chunks.

In the past, we got the Basement tapes which was used to satisfy Bob's contractual obligations for releasing new albums/material.

While I enjoy the basement tapes and its many hidden treasures, it is not an collection of music I listen to. It's in a pile that has many friends....such as Down Along The Groove, Self Portrait, and the last 5 Sinatra records ..Every now and then I may pick an individual song from that pile to listen to, but its mostly for exploratory or educational purposes.

Though the Basement Tapes is of much higher quality than any of the live albums, I'd still much prefer a release of new material.

Hey dylanswife !!
You need to take Self Portrait off that pile immediately and listen to it, you know you want to....don't fight it !! :lol:
You have to make time for this album

All the tired horses in the sun........

moab

PostPosted: Sun January 28th, 2018, 22:48 GMT 
Titanium Member

Since we are all just guessing, I will make my guess that Bob is not going to release a live NET album from 2017.

It just doesn’t feel like what Bob is about now. There hasn’t been a NET live album yet and I don’t see why Tour 2017 would change that.

Does Bob have another original album in him? I lean toward a gospel type album in some kind of traditional type of groove.

As long as Bob is breathing I think he will be creating some kind of music.

PostPosted: Sun January 28th, 2018, 23:18 GMT 

kuddukan wrote:
I lean toward a gospel type album in some kind of traditional type of groove.

Another good possibility.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next