Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat May 26th, 2018, 09:59 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat January 13th, 2018, 15:27 GMT 

Wiggle Wiggle: Howlin’ Wolf – Evil orig. studio vers. (slowed down), Jerry Lee Lewis – Sexy/Cool Cool Ways
Under The Red Sky
Unbelievable: Billy Lee Riley – Rock With Me Baby
Born In Time
TV Talking Song
10,000 Men
2 x 2
God Knows
Handy Dandy
Cat’s In Well: Howlin’ Wolf – Shake For Me, Smiley Lewis – Bumpity Bump

More? Please add.

PostPosted: Sat January 13th, 2018, 21:13 GMT 

Handy Dandy: Like A Rolling Stone :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat January 13th, 2018, 21:39 GMT 

I never heard the LARS connection until someone mentioned it years later.

The whole album is a bit strange. Slash, Sir Elton John, George Harrison and more high profile artists are noted as supposedly being on the album and it was marketed strangely too. Mine had a promotional sticker on it that said Featuring Handy Dandy, like it was a classic or a big hit. And wasn't the whole project dedicated to Gabby Goo?

Bob fact : To date he's only played Handy Dandy once:

https://youtu.be/Czl2DdmJIzE

PostPosted: Sat January 13th, 2018, 21:51 GMT 
Promethium Member

dylanswife wrote:

Which obviously points out what a wise decision it was to drop it forever.
Maybe it sounded better live, in-person?

PostPosted: Sat January 13th, 2018, 22:00 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
dylanswife wrote:

Which obviously points out what a wise decision it was to drop it forever.
Maybe it sounded better live?

If I was at the show perhaps I could say it sounded better but I don't think that's possible.

The lyrics are cringe worthy all around.. Imo.

I always misheard this line as "they hit *him*" :

He got an all girl orchestra and when he says
"Strike up the band", they hit it

It's too bad they didn't hit him, I kinda like hearing it that way.

PostPosted: Sat January 13th, 2018, 23:37 GMT 
Promethium Member

Under the Red Sky is a fine album and several of the songs have been fantastic live. Handy Dandy should have become a standard but, Bob being Bob, he's only played it once. That, my friends, is a definition of a tragedy.

PostPosted: Sun January 14th, 2018, 01:14 GMT 
Promethium Member

My Echo, My Shadow And Me wrote:
More? Please add.

God Knows - um, the Bible?

PostPosted: Sun January 14th, 2018, 16:52 GMT 

Cats in the Well - "Lucille" by Little Richard.

PostPosted: Sun January 14th, 2018, 21:41 GMT 
Titanium Member

This album is a piece of crap all the way through due to weak material, a bad mix of guest musicians, poor production, and miserable to mediocre singing that too often is like a Dylan imitator, more disappointing because the preceding album was great and his live shows and period bootlegs were quite strong (after the drunk shows of 90-91 were over). His vocals are very weak and badly recorded throughout. Dan Lanois must have shaken his head on listening to a wasted opportunity.

There are a few decent songs--Unbelievable the best of the lot but much better when live. Same with God Knows--weak in the studio, convincing live.

The title song is one of his worst. 2x2 is not much better. 10,000 Men is strike three in the nursery rhyme imitation thing.

Wiggle Wiggle did not incite the dance craze it might have. Big fail. Could be the worst first cut on any Dylan album. A reasonable adult would stop the record after this song and move on.

TV Talking Song is a fair Bob Dylan imitation. Handy Dandy is self-nostalgia at its worst.

Born in Time is a great song, but this version and performance are terrible.

Cat's in the Well-strike four, with penalty for the pointless blues changes

I still own the lp but am never tempted to play it again. I lose more respect for him every time I hear his bad records, so I avoid those.

I'm not interested in the "sources" except to the degree it teaches how not to write bad songs. I see no connection at all to Howling Wolf except maybe some of the Willie Dixon novelty blues he recorded--300 Lbs of Joy etc. Bob has taken basic blues changes from many records. It doesn't take much skill.

3 good tunes done better elsewhere, plus mediocre, lazy and ill-conceived tunes not worth a second listen except to study how a great artist can fail by avoiding his gifts and settling for his mannerisms.

PostPosted: Sun January 14th, 2018, 21:51 GMT 

harmonica albert wrote:
This album is a piece of crap all the way through due to weak material, a bad mix of guest musicians, poor production, and miserable to mediocre singing that too often is like a Dylan imitator, more disappointing because the preceding album was great and his live shows and period bootlegs were quite strong (after the drunk shows of 90-91 were over). His vocals are very weak and badly recorded throughout. Dan Lanois must have shaken his head on listening to a wasted opportunity.

There are a few decent songs--Unbelievable the best of the lot but much better when live. Same with God Knows--weak in the studio, convincing live.

The title song is one of his worst. 2x2 is not much better. 10,000 Men is strike three in the nursery rhyme imitation thing.

Wiggle Wiggle did not incite the dance craze it might have. Big fail. Could be the worst first cut on any Dylan album. A reasonable adult would stop the record after this song and move on.

TV Talking Song is a fair Bob Dylan imitation. Handy Dandy is self-nostalgia at its worst.

Born in Time is a great song, but this version and performance are terrible.

Cat's in the Well-strike four, with penalty for the pointless blues changes

I still own the lp but am never tempted to play it again. I lose more respect for him every time I hear his bad records, so I avoid those.

I'm not interested in the "sources" except to the degree it teaches how not to write bad songs. I see no connection at all to Howling Wolf except maybe some of the Willie Dixon novelty blues he recorded--300 Lbs of Joy etc. Bob has taken basic blues changes from many records. It doesn't take much skill.

3 good tunes done better elsewhere, plus mediocre, lazy and ill-conceived tunes not worth a second listen except to study how a great artist can fail by avoiding his gifts and settling for his mannerisms.
You didn't like it, then?

PostPosted: Mon January 15th, 2018, 13:36 GMT 

Oppositely, I do like this album with all its imperfections.
I bought the CD lately (one or two years ago) in order to have the complete Dylan studio albums on my shelves. Surprinsingly (due to its reputation) it immediately seemed quite pleasant to my ears. Now that's the one I listen when I want a "light" (or superficial or "pop") Dylan record, and it happens quite often. I must also admit that it is when I'm doing something else while listening, such as working or browsing. But it's always a good company to me.

PostPosted: Thu January 18th, 2018, 18:43 GMT 

harmonica albert is spot on.

i'd suggest not taking part in the ongoing bob-revisionism (gospel years dreck etc) and regarding "red sky" as what it is. a big pile of dung. a horrible album growing out of a midlife crisis, trying to be a "contemporary" pop record.

everytime i think about it i wonder how bob pulled it off dragging him into the studio to work on this thing.

PostPosted: Thu January 18th, 2018, 20:37 GMT 

sammy's_cat wrote:

i'd suggest not taking part in the ongoing bob-revisionism (gospel years dreck etc) and regarding "red sky" as what it is. a big pile of dung. a horrible album growing out of a midlife crisis, trying to be a "contemporary" pop record.

everytime i think about it i wonder how bob pulled it off dragging him into the studio to work on this thing.

I love Slashes response when he was bothered with the question of working with the greatest lyrical word smith in American Music History.

He was upset that Bob cut out his bitchin guitar licks on Wiggle Wiggle and replaced it with some acoustical testing/demo sound loop he had done.

Bob didn't like his solo because it sounded too much like GnR.

I wonder if some day we'll ever get a remix of Wiggle Wiggle with the killer Slash leads.

Here's hope to Another Red Sky bootleg release :o :o

PostPosted: Thu January 18th, 2018, 21:59 GMT 
Promethium Member

dylanswife wrote:
I love Slashes response when he was bothered with the question of working with the greatest lyrical word smith in American Music History.

He was upset that Bob cut out his bitchin guitar licks on Wiggle Wiggle and replaced it with some acoustical testing/demo sound loop he had done.

Bob didn't like his solo because it sounded too much like GnR.

This reveals that Bob's judgment is not flawed.

PostPosted: Fri January 19th, 2018, 03:00 GMT 

Harmonica says alot of words that don't add up to anything. Stop living in the past and try listen and experience life in the ever eternal now. Your summaries lack any insight even on a basic level of interpretation. And jesus get a sense of humour, no wonder you don't enjoy it. Wiggle Wiggle is a ridiculous song....but that's the point :roll:

PostPosted: Fri January 19th, 2018, 03:49 GMT 

Brian_Eire wrote:
Harmonica says alot of words that don't add up to anything. Stop living in the past and try listen and experience life in the ever eternal now. Your summaries lack any insight even on a basic level of interpretation. And jesus get a sense of humour, no wonder you don't enjoy it. Wiggle Wiggle is a ridiculous song....but that's the point :roll:

I forget what show this was, but I believe in 1990 after Bob played this, he said something like.. That song was Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle. [pauses] And don't forget the wiggle!

Always cracked me up.. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri January 19th, 2018, 04:23 GMT 

mouthful :o :shock: of wiggle :P :lol:

PostPosted: Fri January 19th, 2018, 10:00 GMT 

dylanswife wrote:
Brian_Eire wrote:

I forget what show this was, but I believe in 1990 after Bob played this, he said something like.. That song was Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle. [pauses] And don't forget the wiggle!

Always cracked me up.. :mrgreen:

Haha, he's always had a great sense of humour, totally lost on some people. The audacity to open the following album to his "return to form" with wiggle Wiggle....wiggle is hilarious. Most artists constantly trying to replicate the past/last album/big hit and it's usually their downfall. For me this is a perfect follow up to "oh mercy" because it's totally contrasting. "Handy Dandy" is supposed to be a cheap imitation both in sound and half baked words. The character himself is a nobody, devoid of character. A soulless goon just like the hundreds of "rockers" that aped Dylan's style but had absolutely nothing to say.

PostPosted: Fri January 19th, 2018, 12:17 GMT 

sammy's_cat wrote:

The topic was about the sources for the songs on Under the Red Sky. Harmonica Albert gave us a long winded review, instead. Why?

PostPosted: Fri January 19th, 2018, 20:16 GMT 

rimbaud wrote:
sammy's_cat wrote:

The topic was about the sources for the songs on Under the Red Sky. Harmonica Albert gave us a long winded review, instead. Why?

Maybe Albert can't help being long-winded from blowing his harmonica?

PostPosted: Sat January 20th, 2018, 01:10 GMT 

rimbaud wrote:

Most threads veer off course. After about 5 or 10 pages of various unrelated posts, someone will say ok, time to get back to whatever it was the OP had intended this thread to be.

So, you see what you did? Your question has caused My Echos thread to derail. :lol:

Anyway. Bob seemed very happy to have made this record. 1990 wasn't a very good year for him, as he was not only drunk all the time, he also stayed very busy that year by touring intoxicated, and writing for and releasing a new album of original material while also intoxicated. Oh yeah and he was a wilbury. They had a release that fall in 1990. The heavy touring and busy schedule that year along with alcohol was the likely reason as to why his vocals were so rough and flat. Slash had mentioned all the musicians for the sessions were confused the whole time due to lack of direction from Bob and him not telling anybody what to do or what their parts were, or what the chords and song keys were for each of the songs. Bob often walked into the control room and would become producer. There's a story that Bob had told George Harrison is soloing was perfect and to keep that cut for the final mix when in reality it was GH's first crack at it and he had played in the wrong key. To ease up all the confusion and tension, boozing before and during the studio sessions was very common, according to some of the musicians that were there.

Anyway. I think Bob ripped off Mother Goose and reincarnated it as Under The Red Sky.

Here's the full list of musicians that played on UTRS

Kenny Aronoff – drums
Sweet Pea Atkinson – backing vocals
Rayse Biggs – trumpet
Sir Harry Bowens – backing vocals
David Crosby – backing vocals
Paulinho Da Costa – percussion
Robben Ford – guitar
George Harrison – slide guitar
Bruce Hornsby – piano
Randy Jackson – bass guitar
Elton John – piano
Al Kooper – organ, keyboards
David Lindley – bouzouki, guitar, slide guitar
David McMurray – saxophone
Donald Ray Mitchell – backing vocals
Jamie Muhoberac – organ
Slash – guitar
Jimmie Vaughan – guitar
Stevie Ray Vaughan – guitar
Waddy Wachtel – guitar
David Was – backing vocals, production
Don Was – bass guitar, production

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun January 21st, 2018, 13:04 GMT 

harmonica albert wrote:
Unbelievable the best of the lot

Aye right! You have not got a clue.