Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun May 27th, 2018, 03:41 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon March 19th, 2018, 13:21 GMT 

Laura wrote:
McG wrote:
Do one about Dylan & Death please.

That is one I'm already thinking about! There's definitely a LOT of material for that! :)

Here's yesterday's episode on other people's songs Dylan has covered throughout the years!
The fun fact that I was trying to squeeze in at the end when I got cut off was that in his book on Dylan's Recording Sessions, Clinton Heylin lists 289 (!) covers that were attempted by Dylan in the studio up to 1994! That's not even counting all the covers he has played live in concert, or the ones he's recorded in the past 28 years! As I said, I'm really fascinated with Dylan covering other people's songs, and I'd love to do a part 2 for this topic sometime so i can play the songs I didn't have time for here. What's your favourite cover Dylan has done?
https://www.mixcloud.com/Resonance/definitely-dylan-18th-march-2018/

Great, sounds like you have everything covered! ;-)

Thanks folks, I'm here all week.

PostPosted: Mon March 19th, 2018, 16:18 GMT 
Mercury Member

HopE wrote:
GirlsWon'tLeaveMeAlone wrote:
Except for Odetta singing Dylan songs. Her version of Don't think twice is a better listen than his for me.

No need to argue.A great singer without any doubt, and of course a wonderful singer of Dylan songs too.
Odetta impressed very much even alone because of her appearance and her attitudes as a young woman and as an older woman. Her powerful voice made her unique. Unfortunately she's gone and unfortunately I hadn't had the chance to see her perform live.

Some years ago she performed in London, at the Barbican I think, and did the most incredible version of 'Tomorrow is a long time'. I know it is on film because I've seen it, but it doesn't seem to be on you tube. I don't know where one can find it now, but a friend of mine was there and confirmed that she was the highlight, and that was her highlight... the place fell silent and spellbound until it burst in tumultuous, and well deserved, applause. Wish I could find the footage again!

PostPosted: Wed April 18th, 2018, 23:36 GMT 

Still listening, Laura. I love hearing the new episode every week.

I notice that you seem to be shifting towards more analysis and less music. I think your early episodes had a great balance of music and discussion. I love your analysis of Dylan's songs, but some of the more recent episodes seemed to have more discussion than music. I still love hearing your thoughts about Dylan's work, but I feel the music is important for the "pace" of the episode. When the episode is less than 50% music, it kinda breaks up the flow.

Just a bit of criticism. Overall, I still love the show and look forward to future episodes.

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2018, 14:14 GMT 

I liked this week's radio show very much!
Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2018, 16:05 GMT 

The Reasoner wrote:
Still listening, Laura. I love hearing the new episode every week.

I notice that you seem to be shifting towards more analysis and less music. I think your early episodes had a great balance of music and discussion. I love your analysis of Dylan's songs, but some of the more recent episodes seemed to have more discussion than music. I still love hearing your thoughts about Dylan's work, but I feel the music is important for the "pace" of the episode. When the episode is less than 50% music, it kinda breaks up the flow.

Just a bit of criticism. Overall, I still love the show and look forward to future episodes.

Thanks for the feedback, it's good to hear how people perceive the show. I usually let the theme of the week dictate how much analysis or discussion I include, some weeks it ends up being more, and sometimes less (like last week's episode, for example).

HopE wrote:
I liked this week's radio show very much!
Thank you!

I'm glad you enjoyed it, I had fun putting it together! :)

PostPosted: Mon May 14th, 2018, 18:08 GMT 

Just thought I’d let you know that the latest episode on the album Shot Of Love is now up on mixcloud!
You can listen to it here: https://mixcloud.com/Resonance/definitely-dylan/
Enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed May 23rd, 2018, 08:20 GMT 

Really happy to say that my show has entered the Folk Charts on mixcloud this week!

If you haven't listened to the latest episode on Judas yet, head over here and check it out. If you could favourite it and repost it, that would be fantastic and seems to have the biggest impact on the charts!

https://www.mixcloud.com/definitelydylan/

PostPosted: Wed May 23rd, 2018, 10:05 GMT 

Is there any plans to release these as a podcast?