Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue July 17th, 2018, 13:55 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Doc Yoder
PostPosted: Tue January 2nd, 2018, 19:53 GMT 

Interesting as what you have shared might be, I have a number of concerns.
1). The material is covered by copyright, either statuatory or common law. Research notes are permitted for personal research purposes. Wholesale desemmination without permission of the copyright holder would be forbidden.
2). By skipping from Session tape to session tape over a period of years, it would seem the valid research purpose is obviated by sheer curiosity and fishing.

These do a disservice to those who may have specific requests for research coming in the future. Until the archives opens things up more fully for public browsing, the suggestion might be to keep it to yourself until your full research product is ready to be shared.

Post subject: Re: Doc Yoder
PostPosted: Wed January 3rd, 2018, 09:52 GMT 

The gentleman does have an interesting blog on the Dylan Archives....but i couldnt get past these lines....

"I had to decide whether to continue to transcribe “Jokerman” drafts — some with very interesting discarded lines — but my hand was aching and I already have transcriptions of the major stages in its development. Or I could have opened a new box of materials on, say,Street Legal, but I would only have a few hours to look at it. Or I could give myself some time to rest and reflect on what I had discovered. I chose that last option, broke camp, and came home a day early. But not until finding yet more pieces in the “Jokerman” story."

Although i like reading any of the research reviews i would love to have read about love and theft or street legal outtakes.

PostPosted: Wed January 3rd, 2018, 18:39 GMT 

For those as confused by this post as I was, it refers to this blog...

https://coldironsbound.wordpress.com/20 ... m-twister/

Note that "Doc" Yoder later wrote: "This morning [12/31/17] I received an email from the Dylan Archive saying that Dylan’s people had reached out to them to request that I remove my transcriptions."

PostPosted: Wed January 10th, 2018, 01:26 GMT 

Look, I made a mistake posting the transcriptions. I apologize for that. I've been a college teacher for over 35 years and my default mode is to share my process with my students. I'm still getting used to the outside world, and I took down the links as soon as I was asked. As for the comments about browsing through session tapes, I can only ask, have you seen the way the session recordings are catalogued? Browsing is pretty much how you have to do it. And, BTW, I caught and was able to correct the labeling of one particular session recording this morning. Moreover, I have made all of my transcriptions and analysis of the correct chronology for the "Jokerman" and "Man of Peace" materials available to the archive. If you want to know more about me, you can check out my school webpage here (though I'm officially retired from full time teaching): http://ualr.edu/rpyoder/. The blog in question is here: https://coldironsbound.wordpress.com.

I started teaching a class on Dylan in 2009 at the request of some students. I'm a Romanticist by trade -- Blake, especially, and his epic *Jerusalem* in particular. I've published a well-received book on Blake's poem, and people use my essays when they teach the poem. I look for connections, and lo and behold, it turns out that there is a good bit of evidence about Bob's relationship to English Romanticism. I also happen to live only 4 hours from Tulsa. I can't help it if I'm lucky.

John Milton, William Blake, Bob Dylan, Jerry Garcia: the four horsemen of my apocalypse.