Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun January 21st, 2018, 04:18 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri December 29th, 2017, 18:13 GMT 
Senior Moderator

I might as well start a new thread on this rather than revive some old thread.

Does anyone know how the copyright/publishing works with Bob's lyrics?
What I mean is, I'm actually working on a new Dylan lyrics site*,
am I allowed to publish this online? There are many lyric sites around the web,
so I thought maybe this was something you're able to do without getting sued or in trouble.

* I'm just beginning to work on it and it's far from finish,
but here's a little look at how it might turn out.
https://youtu.be/hLIqjdbAw9c
I was planning on making it the biggest archive ever,
with every single song/take/version available.

PostPosted: Fri December 29th, 2017, 18:40 GMT 

I don't know the answer to the permissions question, but I like the idea and simple layout.
The video looks like a great, usable site.

With BD.com willfully inaccurate and many scattered webpages with bits here and there, it would be nice to have one home. It will be the alternate takes, unofficial versions that will compel me to click. How will you handle the undecipherables like "I'm Not There" or Glasgow Hotel songs? I look forward to checking...

What a headache though....you have your work cut out for you in '18

PostPosted: Fri December 29th, 2017, 18:59 GMT 

This looks really good. I love the look of it and I would bookmark and use this regularly.

But I have no answers to the questions you ask.

I hope this comes to fruition!

PostPosted: Fri December 29th, 2017, 20:05 GMT 

Congrats, it looks very good.

I also don't have legal info for you with regard to publishing lyrics online.

One item for your consideration: I know that it is customary on Wikipedia and on discographies here on Expectingrain.com and in other places to regard both Dylan (1973) and The Basement Tapes as "studio albums." Nevertheless, I would suggest that they be reclassified. In your scheme, perhaps "Compilation Albums," although I realize that is also problematic because they are compiling unreleased material and, therefore, differ from Greatest Hits and most others (apart from the occasional bonus track(s) thrown into those collections).

Really, if the Bootleg Series was around in the 1970s, both would quite easily fit into the Bootleg Series category. Dylan, for example, is akin to Columbia poorly doing in 1973 what they did much better with Another Self Portrait. And, I know that there were some redubbed parts by The Band added to some of the Basement Tapes songs, but one could say the same about the dubs on "Dignity" for Greatest Hits Vol. 4 or the dubs and edits of "Series of Dreams" for The Bootleg Series Vol. 1-3.

I realize this is nitpicking, but if not here, where? It just seems that what is going on with Dylan and The Basement Tapes is categorically different from what Dylan is doing with his studio albums, whether those studio albums be all covers or newly-penned.

PostPosted: Sat December 30th, 2017, 07:29 GMT 

Wow, this looks like a very big project you have started. I wish you all the best and I would like to thank you for your effort.

I'm sorry I can't give you any advice as far as your questions are concerned.
How about contacting the people at BD.com or Columbia? Even if they' re not supportive, you might get a feel if you're heading into legal trouble with your project by the way they handle your request.

PostPosted: Sat December 30th, 2017, 09:02 GMT 

Yeah, great. :D

PostPosted: Sat December 30th, 2017, 10:14 GMT 

Since we're talking about copyrights and publishing, I have a few questions regarding recordings. What does the law exactly say about bootlegs (live performances or unreleased studio tracks)?
They are not officially released and aren't registered to the local copyright office. So is it legal to share files of a live performance or unreleased studio material on youtube or other services, and on what grounds?
I've noticed SME is striking Dylan videos again (although not at the same rate than in the 2000's) and I'm curious to know what reasons they may used to do so. If you have the exact law/court decision that could explain this situation, I'll be very happy.

PostPosted: Sat December 30th, 2017, 16:56 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Thanks for the encouraging words!

I might contact Dylan Inc before I do any more work on this.
It's just sort of a 'hobby'-type thing, and it's a good way to rediscover Dylan's songs.
I'm not only making a website, but listening to every song and making corrections along the way.

My hope is to be able to publish this so that ALL Dylan lyrics are collected in one space,
because now, as asdf29 says, it's mostly scattered all over different websites. And some are still missing.
If I can't publish it, then maybe I'll finish it and keep it as sort of a private encyclopedia.

PostPosted: Thu January 4th, 2018, 12:25 GMT 

SirDogg wrote:
Thanks for the encouraging words!

I might contact Dylan Inc before I do any more work on this.
It's just sort of a 'hobby'-type thing, and it's a good way to rediscover Dylan's songs.
I'm not only making a website, but listening to every song and making corrections along the way.

My hope is to be able to publish this so that ALL Dylan lyrics are collected in one space,
because now, as asdf29 says, it's mostly scattered all over different websites. And some are still missing.
If I can't publish it, then maybe I'll finish it and keep it as sort of a private encyclopedia.

Do you already know any more? This would be the ultimate lyrics collection, just fantastic! And a LOT of work, hats off!

PostPosted: Fri January 5th, 2018, 07:34 GMT 
Senior Moderator

bloodblondehighwayhome wrote:

Do you already know any more? This would be the ultimate lyrics collection, just fantastic! And a LOT of work, hats off!

I have contacted the Sony Music Publishing and the Music Publishers Association and currently awaiting answers.

There's no contact info on Special Rider Music or Big Sky Music, which are the ones who hold the copyrights.

PostPosted: Fri January 5th, 2018, 07:49 GMT 

SirDogg wrote:
I might as well start a new thread on this rather than revive some old thread.

Does anyone know how the copyright/publishing works with Bob's lyrics?
What I mean is, I'm actually working on a new Dylan lyrics site*,
am I allowed to publish this online? There are many lyric sites around the web,
so I thought maybe this was something you're able to do without getting sued or in trouble.

* I'm just beginning to work on it and it's far from finish,
but here's a little look at how it might turn out.
https://youtu.be/hLIqjdbAw9c
I was planning on making it the biggest archive ever,
with every single song/take/version available.

With the possibility of it growing to be the largest archival repository of lyrics (essentially every known version to be sung/flubbed by Bob), I'd do it as a wiki and save yourself as much work as possible.

If you included tablature and chords, you'd draw a larger audience to your site as well as a greater index score.

Alternate viewing and printing styles would be great also. I usually edit and fix song lyrics so that all fit on one page if possible, by using columns.

Also, I might consider fixing your main logo of Bob. It appears to be very blurred. :lol:

Last edited by dylanswife on Fri January 5th, 2018, 08:07 GMT, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri January 5th, 2018, 08:02 GMT 
Senior Moderator

dylanswife wrote:

With the possibility of it growing to be the largest archival repository of lyrics (essentially every known version to be sung/flubbed by Bob), I'd do it as a wiki and save yourself as much work as possible.

I think it's about the same amount of work as a wikia, I use RapidWeaver 7 which is an easy-to-use website builder.
What takes time is listening through everything and correcting lyrics and transcribing the ones missing, i.e. the Disc 6 from BS11.
I'm also not a big fan of wikia's layout, plus I'd already be publishing the lyrics if I made it via wikia, which I still don't know if it's legal.

PostPosted: Fri January 5th, 2018, 08:08 GMT 
Senior Moderator

dylanswife wrote:
If you included tablature and chords, you'd draw a larger audience to your site as well as a greater index score.

Alternate viewing and printing styles would be great also. I usually edit and fix song lyrics so that all fit on one page if possible, by using columns.

Also, I might consider fixing your main logo of Bob. It appears to be very blurred. :lol:

I think dylanchords.info is doing a good job already on the chords.

About the blur, the video upload made the whole thing blurry.

PostPosted: Fri January 5th, 2018, 08:17 GMT 

SirDogg wrote:
dylanswife wrote:

I think dylanchords.info is doing a good job already on the chords.

About the blur, the video upload made the whole thing blurry.

Lol sorry the last one was a joke since I was full of suggestions. The original album cover is blurred which came from the negative that Bob said must be used.

PostPosted: Fri January 5th, 2018, 08:25 GMT 

Nonetheless it would be great to have, but I like the idea of a wiki because it's user contributed and could also be designed to display chords.

I love dylanchords but it could one day go offline forever like so many other chord sites. I have a couple archives I keep offline that are probably over 20 years old by now. If it was in wiki format, it allows the option to download and keep a offline copy that views/works just like the online website. And if something ever happens to your lyrical repository, it could be easily replicated and mirrored elsewhere if it was wiki.

Ok I'll stop my whining now. :o

PostPosted: Fri January 5th, 2018, 19:10 GMT 
Titanium Member

Attention Sony

(I know you visit here from time to time!)

Employ SirDogg to update the lyrics section on bobdylan.com. He'll do a great and thorough job and everyone will be happy copyright wise.

The demo site looks really great by the way. I love how detailed the discography is - which is a surprisingly hard thing to compile.

PostPosted: Fri January 5th, 2018, 22:25 GMT 
Promethium Member

Hey that looks pretty good.
Simple, streamlined & logical.

Best to you Doggie!

PostPosted: Fri January 5th, 2018, 23:34 GMT 

Seems like a big Undertaking that Dylan and company would support. Even though the idea isn't under their authority;I'd say the whole shebang is in good spirt!

PostPosted: Sat January 6th, 2018, 14:17 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Does anyone know how the Wikia works? Creating templets and stuff?

http://bobdylanlyrics.wikia.com/wiki/BobDylanLyrics_Wiki