Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat January 20th, 2018, 12:57 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Future Reissue Idea
PostPosted: Sat December 23rd, 2017, 05:08 GMT 

so here's an idea I've had for a while, and I think it would work well for any album reissues that are bound to happen in the future:

Bob Dylan's crew should release all of his albums in mono, and include two live versions of the album. For example:

Blood On The Tracks (3 disc reissue)
- original album w/ mono sound
- live version of the album with performances taken from the year it was released (or later, but no later than a year or two)
- additional live version taken from all over his career

So you get the mono version of the album, and two live albums that show how he delivered these song around the time of the albums release and decades onward. I think it would be great to have, say, the original Shelter from the Storm, the '76 version and the Prague '95 version all together.

Since he's been toying with a ton of his songs for decades, I think this would be fairly easy to do, with the exception of JWH or some of the 80s albums. For those instances, I think it'd be best to get as much of the live material as possible, include a few outtakes (but not too many, cause then they couldn't make more bootleg series entries) or in the case of the 80s Albums strip them of their dated production.

So what do you think? Bad idea?

Post subject: Re: Future Reissue Idea
PostPosted: Sat December 23rd, 2017, 05:12 GMT 
Promethium Member

No real point in releasing mono mixes of album that weren't in mono to begin with...though that doesn't mean they won't do it.

Live bonus discs is a good idea, and would surely spur sales among the fans.

PostPosted: Sat December 23rd, 2017, 07:27 GMT 

When you look at all the additional stuff available when other artists have their albums reissued I think Columbia have been a bit stingy with Dylan's reissues to be honest. I would like to see Freewheelin' released as a 2CD package with the best of the out takes on the second disc. I know a lot of these have already been released in Biograph or The Bootleg Series Vol 1-3 but it would be nice to have them gathered together.
For Blood On The Tracks I think it's about time that all the New York sessions were released with the album, but if I remember correctly the period around Blood On The Tracks was supposed to have been the subject of an upcoming Bootleg Series release so there is hope that this will still be forthcoming together with some live performances from the period.

PostPosted: Sat December 23rd, 2017, 08:47 GMT 

Seems like stooping to the level of other artist's record labels when they reissue albums with random live takes so you have to buy the album you probably already have to hear the bonus audio. A full live album would be so much nicer

PostPosted: Mon December 25th, 2017, 05:56 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:
When you look at all the additional stuff available when other artists have their albums reissued I think Columbia have been a bit stingy with Dylan's reissues to be honest.

I totally disagree -- I think Dylan is one of the few artists who has rightly separated reissues of old material from archival material. The practice of unearthed vault material only being available as bait on deluxe repackagings of albums I already own (many of which come with doo-dads and trinkets that I couldn't care less about but which jack the price up $50-$100 every time out -- is extremely frustrating to me and has stopped me from giving many artists my money. I'm certainly glad I didn't have to re-buy "Slow Train," "Saved," and "Shot of Love" to get all the stuff on BS13 -- it was pricey enough as is!

PostPosted: Mon December 25th, 2017, 06:15 GMT 
Titanium Member

goodmeats wrote:
Seems like stooping to the level of other artist's record labels when they reissue albums with random live takes so you have to buy the album you probably already have to hear the bonus audio. A full live album would be so much nicer

Agreed. I much prefer the albums to be seperate than any supplemental material. Don’t tinker with an album like Blood on the Tracks by adding bonus tracks to the end or combining it with cherrypicked songs.

PostPosted: Mon December 25th, 2017, 13:42 GMT 
Titanium Member

Why on earth would anyone want to hear blood on the tracks in mono? How would you even go about remixing it in mono? It'd be like one of those awful 'artificial stereo' albums in the 60s.

PostPosted: Mon December 25th, 2017, 14:39 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
Why on earth would anyone want to hear blood on the tracks in mono? How would you even go about remixing it in mono? It'd be like one of those awful 'artificial stereo' albums in the 60s.

Well maybe that wasn't a good idea, I was just listening to other mono Dylan albums and it sounded like everything was more compressed instead of floating around everywhere. That might just be my own disc player, though. But in the case of Dylan Albums that weren't originally mono, then I guess just putting out the cleanest version they have. I personally would buy an album like Blood On The Tracks again if it meant I have the original album and two additional live albums all in one place.

I'm wondering how they would open the second live disc. Tangled Up in Blue has had so many different arrangements, which one do you choose?

PostPosted: Mon December 25th, 2017, 15:08 GMT 
Titanium Member

gibsona07 wrote:

For that era, you'd have to have someone adept at mixing 16 or 24 tracks down to a uncluttered, balanced mono mix. Not that it couldn't be done, but it's different than 3 or 4 track where by necessity a lot of stuff was pre-balanced on the multi track tape and more minimal microphone setups were employed. I can't think of an example where someone has had to do that, because from the 16 track era on it's always a given that the mix would be stereo.

I suppose people that mixed sound for television in the 70's and 80's sometimes worked from more complex multi-track mixes as TV was still largely mono. But for TV the result was different, they had to add lots of compression and EQ to fit broadcast standards.

The fake stereo stuff of the 60's was the opposite, taking something that was mono and re EQ-ing the L/R channels so that the bass was in one side and mid/high's in the other. Sometimes ping-pong time delay was employed, or added reverb.

I wouldn't be interested in mono BOTT in any case.

PostPosted: Mon December 25th, 2017, 15:36 GMT 
Titanium Member

ShotofMercy wrote:
gibsona07 wrote:

Well maybe that wasn't a good idea, I was just listening to other mono Dylan albums and it sounded like everything was more compressed

More congealed perhaps, not necessarily 'compressed' in the audio sense. Compression is a tool that to some degree or another is almost always employed in audio engineering regardless if it is mono / stereo.

PostPosted: Mon December 25th, 2017, 16:38 GMT 

Ain't Talkin' wrote:

More congealed perhaps, not necessarily 'compressed' in the audio sense. Compression is a tool that to some degree or another is almost always employed in audio engineering regardless if it is mono / stereo.

Got it. But aside from that, what would you think from the two other discs? I would really like to see something like that take shape. Do you have any suggestions as to what albums would benefit from that? Not saying Blood On The Tracks would, I think it's a perfect album, but I think it would be cool to have an Oh Mercy or Street Legal reissue where you have the songs live outings. I'd also be down for Highway 61 or Modern Times getting this treatment.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to everyone on ER by the way!

PostPosted: Mon December 25th, 2017, 22:29 GMT 
Titanium Member

I'd be down for a mono or stereo remix of Highway 61 + a CD of related extras, def.

Highway 61 doesn't have a particularly good mono or stereo mix, and unlike several other Dylan albums, from Another Side to Street Legal, it's never been remixed. Remastered several times, not remixed.

The other stuff would depend on the extras. I'm ain't buying the Dylan core catalog again with re-releases of the BS stuff. An extra CD with the albums songs done live over the years might make me take the bait here and there.